Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shomaruki

Things as a CV Captain that annoys me

16 comments in this topic

[AWOW]
Members
333 posts
702 battles

As a CV I see myself as having a few simple jobs to do

1. Scout Around Start of match
  2. Annoy the hell out of the other ships
  3. Don't get sunk

They don't have to be in that order as long as they are being done none stop. What annoys the ever living hell out of me in a match is when someone in a cruiser feels the need to tell me how to do my job when they want to hide behind two battle ships all game constantly complaining about my CV work. (Fun fact that guy was dead last in the score). I don't tell other captains how to play their role. (If I did we might actually capture points and win more and two..not like they would listen anyway.) 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,369 posts
24,667 battles

My principal annoyance is when 9/10s of the team go one way, you work with them for cover, scouting, spotting, etc.  The one or two other ships go off to do their own thing and nag you from the otherside of the map demanding cover.

• Thanks 2

[GRETA]
Members
1,507 posts
11,690 battles

The most annoying thing to me is the over inflated impact others think a CV has on a match.  I mean when played well they can influence a match but to win the other 11 people do actually need to do something productive to win.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,396 battles
1 hour ago, Shomaruki said:

As a CV I see myself as having a few simple jobs to do

1. Scout Around Start of match
  2. Annoy the hell out of the other ships
  3. Don't get sunk

They don't have to be in that order as long as they are being done none stop. What annoys the ever living hell out of me in a match is when someone in a cruiser feels the need to tell me how to do my job when they want to hide behind two battle ships all game constantly complaining about my CV work. (Fun fact that guy was dead last in the score). I don't tell other captains how to play their role. (If I did we might actually capture points and win more and two..not like they would listen anyway.) 

Dont listen to people who refuse to give you advice in a professional manner...or who give advice in such a way as you doubt their sanity.

Filters out most of the useless chat spam.

For me, the hardest thing is to get my team to use the minimap ping for spotting and fighter requests. I basically play the game from the minimap (old RTS habits die hard)...so demanding spotting or air cover without providing a location first really adds to my workload.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[-TKS-]
Members
1,186 posts
9,618 battles

1. When good players ask for fighter cover vs a unicum MvR.

2. When DDs ask for fighter cover when they are way behind enemy lines trying to kill the red CV.

3. When bad players tell me to move.

4. When players tell me to attack something, pinging constantly, as my planes could only be possible heading there already.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[AWOW]
Members
333 posts
702 battles
3 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

A CV complaining about another hull hiding.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony

Would be the difference is I'm actually contributing to the Victory. The only time I would accept another ship trying to hide is if they been blown to hell and back and only have a inch of life left. 

Members
2,261 posts
29,980 battles
20 minutes ago, Shomaruki said:

Would be the difference is I'm actually contributing to the Victory. The only time I would accept another ship trying to hide is if they been blown to hell and back and only have a inch of life left. 

Perhaps the cruiser with his faster-firing thus higher dpm than a BB is contributing by allowing the BBs he's behind take the punishment he can't while he's doing the dmp they can't?

PS: It's probably best not to concern one's self with what others expect and just enjoy the ship you've chosen to the best of your abilities in the environment you've spawned in to.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-K_P-]
Members
446 posts
3,903 battles
42 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Perhaps the cruiser with his faster-firing thus higher dpm than a BB is contributing by allowing the BBs he's behind take the punishment he can't while he's doing the dmp they can't?

Unlikely, as you get more XP for hits than being damaged or gathering potential damage.  If he was hitting ships while using the BBs for shields, then he wouldn't have been bottom of the board (per what OP mentioned)

• Cool 1

[AK-49]
Members
454 posts
10,521 battles

I tend to ignore chat when I play CV. I look at the map to see the situation and act accordingly. 

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,968 battles
On 1/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, Warped_1 said:

My principal annoyance is when 9/10s of the team go one way, you work with them for cover, scouting, spotting, etc.  The one or two other ships go off to do their own thing and nag you from the otherside of the map demanding cover.

And then bad-mouth you in chat because your fighters killed 5 planes but the 6th hit them...

Edited by gbgentry

[GUNNS]
Members
35 posts
3,204 battles

Played in a match where our team split into 2 groups and left the middle wide open.

A pair of enemy DDs came right thru the middle and sunk me.

I was asked in chat why I suck so much with my Lexington. :(

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
166 posts
3,615 battles
On 1/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, theLaalaa said:

This word also works when surface ships act like a [edited] to the CV in chat, then demanding they bring you fighters or cover a stupid 1-man push into 3 enemies.

CV play is different and just like surface ships, there is nuance to learn, what targets to hit and when, etc. The CV has the ability to change the flow of the game, but only when played by someone that's reasonably good or noticeably bad with them. What commonly happens is rocket surgeons with 11 games insist CVs are broken, or players with 2k CV games insist they are broken. 

Here's the magic. Most players that we see in CVs aren't that good or bad. They are somewhere in the middle. They are playing them for a change, or for a lark, or just to play something different than their surface ship mains or because they got focused and now it's time for payback. They have either not learned the nuances, or just take time to get back into the swing of CV play, making the 4 games they play, poor.  

So, the real answer is:

Yes, CVs can disproportionately affect a match, BUT only if the player is very good or very bad. Most of the time, they have limited impact, because playing CVs well is a bit more than planes go brrrrrr. 

Note: This is about Random matches. I dont play CVs much in ranked, because in a Small Team Matches (ie.7v7), CVs are hella broken, if played well. I play CLs for ranked mostly, but after enough games of garbage CVs on my team getting my team rekt, I break out a Lexington or Kaga or Midway, for a few games. 

Edited by SonicAnatidae

Members
2,261 posts
29,980 battles
1 hour ago, SonicAnatidae said:

This word also works when surface ships act like a [edited] to the CV in chat, then demanding they bring you fighters or cover a stupid 1-man push into 3 enemies.

One constant in the universe is that I will never, ever, for any reason ask a CV driver to do anything for me or anyone else. As one who firmly believes that CVs do not belong in this game, I will never stray into hypocrisy and ask them for anything in the game. Ever.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
166 posts
3,615 battles
1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

One constant in the universe is that I will never, ever, for any reason ask a CV driver to do anything for me or anyone else. As one who firmly believes that CVs do not belong in this game, I will never stray into hypocrisy and ask them for anything in the game. Ever.

Admirable, sincerely. That makes like 4 of you now..  ;)

Edited by SonicAnatidae

Sign in to follow this