You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gruntdog_3

Bismarck and Hood.

10 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
3,523 posts
13,330 battles
36 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'd seen the full video before. As an FYI, Drachinifel also did a video exploring the theories on why she exploded a couple of weeks ago that was pretty interesting. 

(1) The Loss of HMS Hood - But why did it blow up?? - YouTube

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

I've seen this a few times, however this version has been dramatically improved and cleaned up (Was taken from Eugen by if I recall right a German War Reporter), new to me is seeing the flash - which I'm curious is that PoW firing her main battery as she tries to get around the sinking Hood. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,082 posts

It may be difficult for some of the younger generations to accept the visual off the original film material. The so called flaws and inperfections in the screen frames that comes and goes. When you are raised on that film tech, you don't notice it much.

The PoW had technical difficulties with her main battery as she was very new and not fully shaken down and bugs adjusted out. She had to go away once reduced to two main guns firing, if that. I suppose it would have been fortunate that Bismarck's CO did not pursue her for a variety of good reasons. (PoW playing possible bait to draw into more oncoming UK BB's etc) PoW was possibly confused as the KGV which was for her day very efficient. It was not long after when Churchhill and Roosevelt met on the PoW in Nova Scotia and soon after was sunk off Singapore without aircover that did not arrive until a few minutes after the sinkings.

The Hood had some work done on her since Jutland revealed some very serious flaws in design while losing several Battlecruisers in that fight. But she was more than 20 years past her time and should not have been in that fight with the Bismarck which for all intents and purposes was the best gunned and armored warship on the earth on that day. Eventually even the BM was sunk and war grave imagery shows that even today her main armor is essentially intact with most of everything else turned to scrap.

[NWOC]
Members
1,072 posts
15,964 battles
4 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'd seen the full video before. As an FYI, Drachinifel also did a video exploring the theories on why she exploded a couple of weeks ago that was pretty interesting. 

(1) The Loss of HMS Hood - But why did it blow up?? - YouTube

Tnx for link.

[NWOC]
Members
1,072 posts
15,964 battles
3 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I've seen this a few times, however this version has been dramatically improved and cleaned up (Was taken from Eugen by if I recall right a German War Reporter), new to me is seeing the flash - which I'm curious is that PoW firing her main battery as she tries to get around the sinking Hood. 

I did try a 'slow frame' watch, but it becomes very 'grainy' (if that is the correct term/s). I am inclined towards the flash being from the Hood, as the flash and smoke do not appear to be gunfire, but cannot state it as a fact.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 hour ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

I did try a 'slow frame' watch, but it becomes very 'grainy' (if that is the correct term/s). I am inclined towards the flash being from the Hood, as the flash and smoke do not appear to be gunfire, but cannot state it as a fact.

Yeah, it's hard to tell because there is the large pillar of smoke to the right, where as the flash on the left look like possibly gun fire from turrets fore and aft.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,082 posts

Its interesting, I dont know the ranges right off hand but there is a curvature in the water for the horizon. So the camera man was not high up enough to get very much of the British Warships. The plume on the right is definately after the hood blew up while the trailing smoke must be the PoW. The camera would have been aboard the Prinz Eugen.

One other thought that I find interesting. Bismarck did single gun firing alot the first few salvos. Or fired by turret. It was rolling in terms of speed. Cleared that smoke out quickly.

• Thanks 1

[COMRD]
Members
335 posts
5,515 battles

Interesting theory is that Prinz Eugen actually sank Hood because of distance they were and that Bismarck wouldnt have had the plunging fire 

necessary. Comments?

Members
406 posts
26 battles
53 minutes ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

Interesting theory is that Prinz Eugen actually sank Hood because of distance they were and that Bismarck wouldnt have had the plunging fire 

necessary. Comments?

Drachinifel' video actually covers this from 19:42

The conclusion seems to be even at the longer ranges guessed for the engagement; Eugen's shell wouldn't be plunging enough to punch into somewhere important enough.