You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Is it just me, or did they do something to the New York?

3 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles

When I ground her last year, I remembered the jump to the B hull being associated with two things:

1) A significant range increase on the main guns (independent of the B fire-control system and APR Mod 1).

2) The loss of most of my secondary guns.

I hated the fact that I had to lose the secondaries to get the range increase.

I sold her at the end of her grind because at the time I was facing a credit and port slot squeeze (WG hadn't started handing them out like candy at a Christmas parade), and because if I wanted her play-style I had the Texas.

I finished Ships and Fates over the weekend and this gave me the New York back in my port. And lo and behold, when I switched between A and B hulls, the gun range no longer changed.

Now I know that a few patches ago they seriously rationalized the research pathways for a large swath of ships. I must have missed the New York in the List of Changes, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the current situation.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Boring 1

Members
568 posts
18,481 battles

I found this from 2015

In her top configuration New York features six 127mm cannons with a range of 4km. They are fitted on the port and starboard hull around the super structure in a 3/3 configuration as her secondary weaponry. In concert with this is her eight 20mm Oerlikeon, four 30mm Bofors and ten 76.2mm/50 mk2 anti-aircraft guns. She is the first BB of the tree to feature the US preference for anti-air weaponry over cannons for secondary armaments. This gives her the enviable position of having better AA defences than the T5 cruiser Omaha. But this does leave her at a disadvantage in defending herself against high speed surface vessels making close range attacks.

[FOXY]
Members
3,356 posts
8,165 battles
2 minutes ago, cmdr_bigdog said:

I found this from 2015

In her top configuration New York features six 127mm cannons with a range of 4km. They are fitted on the port and starboard hull around the super structure in a 3/3 configuration as her secondary weaponry. In concert with this is her eight 20mm Oerlikeon, four 30mm Bofors and ten 76.2mm/50 mk2 anti-aircraft guns. She is the first BB of the tree to feature the US preference for anti-air weaponry over cannons for secondary armaments. This gives her the enviable position of having better AA defences than the T5 cruiser Omaha. But this does leave her at a disadvantage in defending herself against high speed surface vessels making close range attacks.

So outdated nowadays..id rather have an Omaha against carriers due to its maneuvering against planes..