Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Freedomshells

Which Steel Ship Should I Get?

13 comments in this topic

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles

I know this question has been asked a few times and I’ve helped others with their choice. But every situation is different. 

i already have Stalin and Bourgogne. I also have Halland, Smaland, Ohio, MvR, Thunderer, PR, etc. I was a BB main when I started the game 5 years ago and now I play a little bit of everything as I have about 220 ships. CV is my latest quest and MvR is my only T10 carrier. 

I have 29k steel saved up and I have the coupon. One thought is to get Somers because it’s going away and was also suggested by someone in the clan. Shikishima was also suggested. But will I play it over Ohio, Yammy, Bourgogne, Thunderer? 

Then there’s FDR. Since I only have one T10 CV, the FDR would probably get the most use. I enjoy playing the MvR in clan battles, but I generally just play Stalin, Petro, Halland, Smaland or Ohio...whatever I can to make the team complete since CV and BB players are limited. As a clan, we also limit the number of DDs we take into battle too though. 

I’m very torn on what to take. FDR, Somers, or Shiki. I’ve seen all 3 in competitive play. I can see all 3 also helping with clan naval battles on a weekly basis. 

Please help me decide with your personal experiences. I know CV is hated here, but the FDR could really be more powerful with the flak bonus in the new skill tree. Or do I get Somers now since it’s going away. I could continue to wait until the skill tree is released, but that would also mean forfeiting a Santa crate, lol. 

• Meh 2

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles
12 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I got the Plymouth because it offers unique game play with the smoke/radar combo. 

I did recently get the mino. But I rarely play her and never in competitive. But I can see the niche for Plymouth. I do play smol a bit in competitive 

Edited by Cody_The_Destroyer

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I got the Plymouth because it offers unique game play with the smoke/radar combo. 

The thing that holds me back from getting the Plymouth is that it's a normal British CL, armed only with RN CL AP shells and no HE.  I find the Minotaur difficult to play for this reason, and I'm not overly excited to spend steel to get another cruiser like this.

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The thing that holds me back from getting the Plymouth is that it's a normal British CL, armed only with RN CL AP shells and no HE.  I find the Minotaur difficult to play for this reason, and I'm not overly excited to spend steel to get another cruiser like this.

Mino at least has that monster heal, which I think they should give the Plymouth 

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
1 minute ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Mino at least has that monster heal, which I think they should give the Plymouth 

Perhaps, but for what it's worth, a monster heal still doesn't make up for a lack of HE ammo.

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Perhaps, but for what it's worth, a monster heal still doesn't make up for a lack of HE ammo.

I hear you, but imagine what it would actually be like with 16 guns, HE, smoke, and radar. That's a Belfast on crack and steroids.

[SLDS]
Members
145 posts
8,571 battles
2 hours ago, Cody_The_Destroyer said:

I could continue to wait until the skill tree is released, but that would also mean forfeiting a Santa crate, lol. 

Actually as long as the captain skill rework still happens next patch as planned you can wait till it’s out and still get your Santa container. Snowflakes are available until February 17th (they show it if you hover your mouse over a snowflake in game). The article on “All the New Year’s Rewards and Gifts in One Article!” also says Snowflakes are for 0.9.12 and 0.10.0.

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,544 posts

Somers is scheduled to be removed if that matters to you.  I think around mid March.  Per the dev blog, it's not currently scheduled to become a coal ship.  Might come back one day but we don't know for sure if or when.

I snagged FDR asap because I am a CV "main" of sorts but I am making sure I keep on track with dailies and ranked to snag the Somers before it disappears. 

• Meh 1

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, Burnsy said:

Somers is scheduled to be removed if that matters to you.  I think around mid March.  Per the dev blog, it's not currently scheduled to become a coal ship.  Might come back one day but we don't know for sure if or when.

I snagged FDR asap because I am a CV "main" of sorts but I am making sure I keep on track with dailies and ranked to snag the Somers before it disappears. 

Yep, really that's the only reason I'm considering Somers. Then I have to wonder how much I'd play it. I'd get more mileage out of FDR or Shiki

• Meh 1

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
438 posts
13,884 battles

I have a similar dilemma.  I have enough for all of them, my only steel to date was the Black.  Was going to get the Stalingrad, but looking at the new Nerfs, not appealing.  Also, I have the Petro.  Plymouth seems OK, but I dont see what it brings over my Mino.

I keep thinking about the Shikishima, but everything I have seen about it says its nothing special.  I may just sit on my steel and see what comes up.

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles
1 hour ago, _Guest_ said:

I have a similar dilemma.  I have enough for all of them, my only steel to date was the Black.  Was going to get the Stalingrad, but looking at the new Nerfs, not appealing.  Also, I have the Petro.  Plymouth seems OK, but I dont see what it brings over my Mino.

I keep thinking about the Shikishima, but everything I have seen about it says its nothing special.  I may just sit on my steel and see what comes up.

In your case, you should get the Bourgogne if you want a battleship. It really is a great ship. Stalin is still good. But definitely powercrept a little with Petro and you’re right. The skill change will affect its survivability. But it can benefit from the increased AP shell damage mechanic too. 

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, Crucis said:

It also has a standard heal and not the RN super heal.

Nvm - got ninjaed. Should have read further down.:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Sign in to follow this