You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Geophage

Battleship choices.

19 comments in this topic

[L-R-G]
Beta Testers
108 posts
10,781 battles

Hello all.

Due to a disability that affects my reaction time and aiming ability, I do poorly in Tier X battles.  I can hold my own in Tier VII and VIII battles unless I get up-tiered to IX and X.  I was a DD (torp boat) main up until a few months ago, and have switched to BBs.

Which Tier VII and VIII battleships hold up best when up-tiered?  I have a tendency to play aggressively, but I'm trying to learn to play more conservatively.

Thanks in advance.

[CDOH]
Members
981 posts
8,620 battles

Massachusetts, Georiga, OHIO, Kremlin, Conqueror.   All these ships have very quick cooldown on heal or damage control.  The American BBs have very quick reloading heals. Kremlin very quick reloading on damage control. Conqueror has the zombie  heal.  

Remember Battleships really are not good at tanking meaning HE spam will quickly subdue the most armored of battleships.  You need to use islands to split the battlefield and limit the amount of ships that can target you.  Or use your concealment to periodically break contact. 

Both islands and concealment allow your damage control and heal to come off cooldown. When you have a heal and damage control ready to go you can reengage punish targets and take more damage. 

The trick to being effective at battleship play is use all your heals.  If you have heals left over at the end of the match you did not take enough damage and if you go through all your heals to early you have taken to much. 

All these ships have what i believe is the most important aspect of battleships.  The ability to sustain.  The quick heals and damage controls allow these ships to sustain better than other battleships.  Conqueror is just insane if you can ride the knife edge and maximize the zombie heal.  Conqueror also does not require good positioning cause the HE is just Overpowered. 

I would stay out of T7 matches because there is a huge difference in ship capabilities when up tiered to t9.  Massa is the best right now at T8.  Massa also requires a 18 point captain to take benefit of secondaries.  Lenin is probably a better choice.

Also there are some really good T6 BBs.  West Virigina over matches everything at T6 does good in T7 matches.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Cool 2

[SLDS]
Members
145 posts
8,601 battles

I’d say Massachusetts and Lenin are good options. If you tend to get sunk by torpedos a lot maybe Bismarck for the hydro (and that one is a tech tree ship, so you can grind to it for free).

• Cool 1

[L-R-G]
Beta Testers
108 posts
10,781 battles

Thanks for the quick replies.  I bit the financial bullet and bought Massachusetts.  Yay for the apocalypse check :)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CDOH]
Members
981 posts
8,620 battles
1 minute ago, Geophage said:

Thanks for the quick replies.  I bit the financial bullet and bought Massachusetts.  Yay for the apocalypse check :)

Its a great ship. as and FYI it takes some time to figure out the Massachusetts strengths.  So don't get to discouraged if you don't have great games out the gate.  It took me many games to get use to secondary bb game play.  

[REVY]
Members
8,488 posts
6,118 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, Geophage said:

Hello all.

Due to a disability that affects my reaction time and aiming ability, I do poorly in Tier X battles.  I can hold my own in Tier VII and VIII battles unless I get up-tiered to IX and X.  I was a DD (torp boat) main up until a few months ago, and have switched to BBs.

Which Tier VII and VIII battleships hold up best when up-tiered?  I have a tendency to play aggressively, but I'm trying to learn to play more conservatively.

Thanks in advance.

The North Carolina comes to mind with her 12.1 km concealment.  You can get crazy close to a broadside cruiser and he wouldn't even know you were there until it was too late.

Edited by Sventex

[VORTX]
Members
714 posts
9,089 battles

I concur with others that have mentioned Mass. good job on the purchase, that’s one that I’d worth it! The 18k gun range hurts when bottom tier, but if you pretend it’s an Alaska it will be mostly okay 🤣

I’ll had Scharnhorst as well. Super fun tier VII that does fine with tier IX if you remember you are no longer (but we’re you ever?) a pushing BB. Fast loading and accurate guns make it a nice transition. Lack of hydro sucks but you can’t have it all. 😭 

Even though Georgia is a tier IX, it’s an amazingly fun ship that can play the current long range meta (very accurate) as well as close the distance in the mid and late game. Highly recommend if you can scrape up the coal before it is pulled!

Tech tree mentions, NC is wonderful with long range guns and very low detection which makes being bottom tier less painful. While I love secondary ships, I would argue against Bismarck. As a close or mid range BB it does well at its tier but as the ranger and HE increases with IX and X, it just comes a tasty snack for the CV, HE slingers and everything on the map. 

[CO-OP]
Members
3,928 posts
31,870 battles

Lyon and Sinop come to mind at tier 7, but they might struggle against Musashi et. al.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,086 posts

Bismarck was a good ship however it's easy to farm it now. Tripritz is slightly tougher. Mass and NC are pretty good if not up there near the top range of BB's Kremlin etc are just monsters, however if you can get to one with a DD and your torps away and gone before you are blapped requires a timing. Particularly when you needed to get to a certain distance to make sure that the torps get to them no matter if they speed up, slow down or turn at the last moment. I like them to commit to a turn first then shoot.

Ohio, Georgia etc are crazy fast. You generally don't worry about them until later in the game they speed right over to where you are and cause a great deal of issues locally. So you needed to keep a eye on them.

Regarding the nerves or whatever it is affecting your aim in game you might consider a mouse that changes DPI on the fly. And a larger monitor. Something in the 30 inch range size. If you can lower the DPI you can slow down the twitchies or whatever problem you are having. I like to increase DPI to force game tanks etc to traverse quickly. That was years ago. Move a mouse a inch on the table and the turret comes around quite a lot. Good for arthritis etc. But lower the DPI as a sniper in scope against a dot of a target 2000 yards and your twitching too much so calm that down and land the shot. Im a pain patient generally and on really bad days I don't play video games, it'll keep until tomorrow when the body calms down. Seizures are a possibility among other issues.

My problem lies with age. As a trucker I need a little more time to consider a developing situation and think up a decision. BB's etc afford you that time. DD's well. If you are not on the ball it will get you. For example against a radar ship trying to stay undetected just outside it's range and then running a clock against it when it does use it knowing what the cooldown is and get it during that brief time.

Pommern is my favorite, however the consideration for the approach route using terrain to block Red Team fires that will destroy you before you arrived to make a difference in crowd control.

Finally but not least, I learn towards BB's that are fast, say 32 knots and can reload in 25 seconds or less and also complete a 180 battle turn with the turrets traversed to the new side and loaded when finished with the turn. Prinz Eugen comes to mind on that one. Although it's just a cruiser. But you can treat it in certain situations as a mini BB.

Finally and not last. Incoming fires management. If you are pushing too much you get either burned down or critted down to zero and then poof all sunk. You want to consider where you are going how many red are able to shoot along the way and what you can do when you get to where you are going. And you probably will have DD issues. If one of them gets to 6 km from you and stays with you to get closer to launch against you without being spotted you have a problem. Thats where you go find a teammate with radar or hydro etc and be ready to take him or her out when he or she is finally detected in range like really close.

[WPORT]
Members
11,632 posts
15,954 battles
4 hours ago, Geophage said:

Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

I think the Gneisenau does okay with being up-tiered, among tech-tree ships at Tier-7.  The option to use torpedoes during a "joust" is nice to have.  But that works better in co-op than in randoms.
Nagato, is also reasonable choice, in my opinion, for a Tier-7 BB.  Armor is a bit squishy, but, no ship is immune to damage.
Both of these ships can play in Operation Narai, for extra earnings.  And their secondary batteries' range (at the moment) can be extended with module upgrades and Captain's Skills.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,567 posts
13,017 battles

Vladivostok is the tech tree tier 8 . She's a good ship hits a ton tanks well tough ship . She can brawl a bit if your a little aggressive .

Members
305 posts
1,531 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Gneisenau

I’ll second this, as I’ve had pretty decent luck in my Gneisenau when bottom tier. Just try to resist the urge to get close enough to a tier IX BB to torpedo it or else it’s Goodbyesenau.

Also throwing a vote in for Nelson. Her 16” guns tend to do well when up-tiered, as long as you don’t broadside (obviously), and also if you don’t bow-tank straight in. Her squishy bow armour means it’s best to angle a bit instead of showing them nostrils.

Members
1,162 posts

i did rank out in the bismark this sprint ..i dont recommend you try this at home...wows turned a great ship into a pos ...and you need to possess skills and have alot of bb insight to get anywhere in a competitive fashion..

any tier 8 ship that has to play in tier X runs the risk of completely being dominated .

if your looking for a ship for the T8 ranked battles ..massachu...Vladivostok....

if you looking to just splash around and concerned about the commander skill reboot ...the vlad will work for you...

my opinion

[WOLFG]
Members
271 posts
4,592 battles

I can't comment on Tier 8 Battleships but having extensively played all the Tier 7 BBs, the one I feel that up tiers the best is King George V closely followed by Nelson, Sinop, and Lyon. The reason I chose King George V is because she can consistently do damage to high tier ships thanks to her HE shells and fairly quick 25 second reload. She also has a fairly decent turn of speed and an improved heal making her fairly sustainable as long as you don't get focused down. However, you do need to know what you are doing because getting that firepower to bear isn't the easiest thanks to her relatively short range, awkward, firing angles and exposed citadel. 

The other 3 I think can still perform well even when bottom tiered but I think KGV just edges them out.

Nelson up tiers well despite her slow speed and exposed citadel thanks to her guns, heal, and armor. Let me explain, Nelson is a very consistent damage dealer and will not struggle to damage any target within her matchmaking provided you have the right ammo loaded. her heal is the same found on the likes of Conqueror and Lion which gives her enormous staying power provided you don't get focused down and/ or take citadels. Lastly, her citadel weakness can be partially mitigated thanks to her midsection being 32mm which when properly angled will bound all AP shells except for Mussashi's.

Sinop is beast of a tier 7 battleship thanks to her armor layout. When properly angled, she is very difficult to take down. This combined with her decent top speed of 28 knots and 406mm guns means that she can be a relatively tough opponent for tier 9 ships.

Last but certainly not least is 16 guns of doom that is Lyon. Many people will tell you that 16 Battleship Shells solves a lot of Problems and and they wouldn't be wrong, her guns and shells individually are quite frankly terrible but you make up for it by throwing out 16 of them every 30 seconds, that combined with her decent top speed of 27 knots and decent armor scheme make her a competitor even when bottom tiered. However, like KGV before her, getting that firepower to bear is tricky thanks to her awkward firing angles, short range and low HP pool.

The other 3 tech tree BBs suffer greatly when bottom tired, Nagato and Colorado are to slow and squishy to really perform consistently when bottom tiered and with Gneisenau is really poor when it comes to a long range trading matches that are high tier battles thanks to her low volume of fire.

The only one that haven't commented that I feel I'm in a position to is Scharnhorst. I feel that she actually the most comfortable to play when bottom tiered but at the the same time she is also one of the least powerful. This can be attributed to her 283mm guns which lack any significant overmatch capability when bottom tiered and when combined with their poor pen and anemic HE shells means that she will struggle to pump out damage when compared to the others on the list.

Hope this helps

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 6:03 AM, Shadow_Woof said:

If you tend to get sunk by torpedos a lot

Also consider the Torpedo Lookout System upgrade and the Vigilance commander skill.  TLS vies with Concealment, but I don't think a pushing BB is going to remain unspotted for long anyway.

[WOLF3]
Members
663 posts
12,534 battles
On 1/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, Geophage said:

Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

In tier 7 and 8 you are going to have to settle for less and be much more conservative often times. If you are speaking to tech tree BB,s the Amagi is a fantastic long range BB T8 once you get used to it. The second ship I would recommend is the monarch T8, which has high penetrating, high damage HE for the same purpose of conservative game play. The tier 7 predecessors to these are pretty much analogous so they fit the bill as well. There are a million different premiums that I wont get into.

Members
541 posts

Massachusetts and Alabama. I prefer the Alabama actually. The guns are crazy accurate. Mass is fun up close but the guns are a shotgun.