Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Piper42

WoWS <> WoT

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
46 posts
672 battles

Been running into this a bit more now and frankly if you are one of those players that think WoWS is WoT on water, then I suggest those folks take a step back and re-evaluate how to play this game.

1) Side scrapping doesn't work. Go ahead try it. How did that line of torps feel against you hull? It was a penetrating experience I bet. 

2) Peek a boom doesn't work. Go ahead try it. How did that salvo of AP feel against your citadel? It was a less than soothing experience I'd imagine.

3) Lone wolf tactics REALLY don't work, go ahead, run off all by yourself to torp that carrier and see how far you get. Just because the incoming rounds blot out the sun doesn't mean you'll get to fight in the shade.

4) Capping IS more important in this game. Unlike WoT where cap or kill all are equally viable options, it's not always the case in WoWS. It can take a long time to traverse the map and by the time you finally get the last ship in sight, BOOM it's a draw. Not to mention when you're a BB going mano a mano with another BB and you're both at relatively high health, with high reload times, well do the math. Wish I could have kicked someone the other day for crying about everyone capping. There is no bonus for kill all and the same goes in WoT.

5) It's a TEAM game, stick together and focus your fire. Remember AA is more effective when there's a lot of ships together than if you are running around alone by yourself, at which point all your AA is doing is the old PEW, PEW, PEW. Enjoy the twin sets of torps as they ravage your pretty painted hull.

I'm far from the best player around, but if you want to be successful at this game understand these things and you'll probably be part of the winning team more often.

Edited by Piper42
  • Cool 9

[70]
Members
1,424 posts
11,839 battles

There is no bonus for killing all only because capping in WOWS gives lots of XP like it should. In WoT, the total team experience is in fact higher if you get both 100% cap points and kill all enemies (more damage done) than if you only cap and don't kill all the enemies. Try a 3-minute cap win on encounter sometime, you'll see no one got particularly great XP, whereas cap win at 9 minutes with most of both teams dead gave better total XP.

That's the only reason I didn't upboat... ahem, upvote you.

Beta Testers
46 posts
672 battles

There is no bonus for killing all only because capping in WOWS gives lots of XP like it should. In WoT, the total team experience is in fact higher if you get both 100% cap points and kill all enemies (more damage done) than if you only cap and don't kill all the enemies. Try a 3-minute cap win on encounter sometime, you'll see no one got particularly great XP, whereas cap win at 9 minutes with most of both teams dead gave better total XP.

That's the only reason I didn't upboat... ahem, upvote you.

But there is no bonus if you lose or just kill all and in WoWS while kill all happens probably as much or more than cap wins (hard to say since I don't have stats other than just a mental reflection of the games I've played) it still begs players to pay more attention as to which way is better suited to get the win. 

Personally I love getting the "hat trick" as I call it of cap AND kill all, but push come to shove I'll take which ever has the most likelihood of success for the win.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

And this is still CBT can't imagine what will happen when it is OBT with huge number of WOT gamers appearing in the MM. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
562 posts
1,852 battles

Many questions I considered to ask already answer here.

Take my up vote.

ps. mostly of the facts that just revealed not suit my favor at all

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
46 posts
672 battles

And this is still CBT can't imagine what will happen when it is OBT with huge number of WOT gamers appearing in the MM. 

I know. The signal to noise ratio will be unbearable, but hopefully it will die down quickly.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
271 posts
489 battles

More practice targets?

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

Excellent observation :).  In my opinion, WoWS is a little more complicated than WoT since more tactics are involved.  However, this is not to say that WoT is an easy game since the most skilled tankers use lots of skill in their technique :).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
625 posts
4,144 battles

I can...it will be a whole lot of seal clubbing of newbs going on :playing:

Funny the OP mentioned the play style differences, I watched a guy try to play "peek a boom" the other day, lol, it didn't go well for him! To say the least.

I agree with a lot of what the OP had to say...however, I watched someone cap a game win with a DD the other day and the game ended within the first couple mins, no ships were destroyed and the highest exp pts gained was a measly 300 pts...seemed like a waste of a match imo.

People DO need to stay somewhat together when in battle for the sake of survival, this can't be stressed enough. Unfortunately you are always going to get those that wanna play John Wayne and be the hero...maybe they will eventually learn there is more power in numbers.

+1 for OP

Edited by MetalMouse
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
46 posts
672 battles

I can...it will be a whole lot of seal clubbing of newbs going on :playing:

Funny the OP mentioned the play style differences, I watched a guy try to play "peek a boom" the other day, lol, it didn't go well for him! To say the least.

I agree with a lot of what the OP had to say...however, I watched someone cap a game win with a DD the other day and the game ended within the first couple mins, no ships were destroyed and the highest exp pts gained was a measly 300 pts...seemed like a waste of a match imo.

People DO need to stay somewhat together when in battle for the sake of survival, this can't be stressed enough. Unfortunately you are always going to get those that wanna play John Wayne and be the hero...maybe they will eventually learn there is more power in numbers.

+1 for OP

I'm a little seal clubber short and stout... :-)

Seriously though, yeah I don't advocate the immediate cap out as I too want to throw some lead and wreck the enemy to some degree. :-)

Alpha Tester
197 posts
258 battles

Indeed, WoWs is definitely not WoT nor a close resemble of it, players with that mindset will find themselves dying quickly, much to my joy

oh and the chat rages are already happening,, hehehe

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,646 battles

Geese. Some of that stuff is just plain dumb and would never occur to me to even try. I'm a light tank driver and I figured destroyer would be my thing because:

I like going fast and maneuvering like mad

I like being the one that spots for the team

You get to shoot a lot

So far that seems to be working just have to figure out the details. I'm finding out quick that US torps are not worth bothering with except in rare circumstances. I am going to start using them as my "HOLY CRAP WHERE DID HE COME FROM!!!" weapon. Closing to ranges where I can launch torps just brings me too much damage.

Gonna focus more on laying smoke for allies and keeping my distance.

Sign in to follow this