Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Beauregard23

New Ranked interesting but badly needs div mate option

17 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Members
284 posts
24,321 battles

The main fun for many people playing this game is being able to do it with buddies.  The new system has some interesting ideas but once you get to silver then gold it starts absorbing a great deal of forced solo play time.   I ranked out a couple times in the old ranked but it was not fun, it was an angst filled chore.  Sprint on the other hand was always a blast as I could share the experience with a fellow player.  It you'd like people to play it more and enjoy the experience you should definitely add a div mate option to any new ranked system.

Edited by Beauregard23
  • Meh 4

[T-BH]
Members
14 posts
16,820 battles

Ranked is not about having fun...it's about self loathing and torturing yourself while watching your desperate teammates throw the game. Join a low level clan if you want to have fun and play with your friends.

• Cool 1

[RAGE]
Members
2,018 posts
9,568 battles

Saw a few sync drops this season, though there are a lot of people playing so it's probably hard to catch a game together.. Queue is so stacked with BBs that you're more likely to succeed dropping in as DDs or CAs.  

Members
937 posts

I have to disagree. If you want to play in a division, both Co-Op and Random battles are available. Some players may division together and be good at the game, but players may also division together and not be very good at the game. I don't want the risk of all six of my teammates being divisioned up.

• Cool 2

Members
6,310 posts
8,165 battles

With the new ranked structure being a series of sprints, I like the idea of being able to bring a friend along in a 2 person division. Though perhaps this should only apply to the Bronze league or the Bronze and Silver leagues.

[-A-8-]
Members
632 posts
24,243 battles

While I'm all for divisioning up (ours is a social clan aimed at just doing that) I don't think it's a good idea in this instance. Any division in 7v7 would have an even stronger influence on the outcome than they currently do in randoms.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,570 posts
13,024 battles
11 hours ago, wildgooseman said:

While I'm all for divisioning up (ours is a social clan aimed at just doing that) I don't think it's a good idea in this instance. Any division in 7v7 would have an even stronger influence on the outcome than they currently do in randoms.

I also have to agree with ^^^ this . You can divisions up in almost everything else . I realize people become used to having team mates to watch there back coordinate attacks and help them out but it is somewhat unfair in 7 vs 7 ranked battles . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Members
284 posts
24,321 battles

you do understand the divs would be mirrored so equality would be same

the 2 player divs didn't seem to be a problem for anyone in the 7v7 ranked sprint so why would it be any different in this?

Edited by Beauregard23
  • Meh 2

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
42 minutes ago, Beauregard23 said:

why would it be any different in this?

Sprints were a low key low reward mode where WG tested new ideas. Regular ranked has more rewards and some take it more seriously.  It is about individual effort working within a random team. Divs run counter to that. Even a 2 man div has a huge impact especially in teams that only have 7 players. 

[-A-8-]
Members
632 posts
24,243 battles
42 minutes ago, Beauregard23 said:

the 2 player divs didn't seem to be a problem for anyone in the 7v7 ranked sprint so why would it be any different in this?

While both teams would have a division they're not necessarily as equally skilled. For instance would you be happy losing a star as your team had a potato division while the other teams was super unicum?

As for ranked sprint, the rewards and requirements are usually lower. For instance there are usually as many/more protected levels in sprints than there used to be in a full rank season.

[Y0L0]
Members
284 posts
24,321 battles
2 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

While both teams would have a division they're not necessarily as equally skilled. For instance would you be happy losing a star as your team had a potato division while the other teams was super unicum?

As for ranked sprint, the rewards and requirements are usually lower. For instance there are usually as many/more protected levels in sprints than there used to be in a full rank season.

OMG, why do people think the odds of them getting good or bad players on their team change if they are solo or in a 2 man div?  The div can be good player, they can be bad players, one in the div can be good the other poor, the 2 solo players playing instead of them can be good or bad or one good and one bad, the odds are the same.  So you'd be unhappy when your team had the potato div and other other had the super unicum div.  So when you play now all solo and your players are so much worse than those on the other team that you lose a star with your team not killing a single ship, does that somehow make you happier?  Sorry, the magical realm of all solo player ranked teams always being equal in talent just doesn't exist.

Members
744 posts
20 battles

The whole point of ranked has always been that it is the competitive mode for solo players, hence divisions run completely counter to that philosophy.

Ranked sprint allowing 2-player divs was because it was supposed to be the semi-competitive fun mode for newer or lesser skilled players who struggled in proper ranked.

• Boring 1

[Y0L0]
Members
284 posts
24,321 battles
52 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

The whole point of ranked has always been that it is the competitive mode for solo players, hence divisions run completely counter to that philosophy.

Ranked sprint allowing 2-player divs was because it was supposed to be the semi-competitive fun mode for newer or lesser skilled players who struggled in proper ranked.

and ranked seasons used to have a significant break in between, they are now supposed to run continually which means if you or your friends are big into playing ranked you almost never get to play together again.  how is that preferable?  and this doesn't stop you from playing solo if you wish, if 5 are solo and 2 are in a div i don't see how that ruins the competitiveness.  2 player div isn't the same as a 3  

[NMKJT]
Members
3,395 posts
8,590 battles
1 hour ago, Beauregard23 said:

and ranked seasons used to have a significant break in between, they are now supposed to run continually which means if you or your friends are big into playing ranked you almost never get to play together again.  how is that preferable?  and this doesn't stop you from playing solo if you wish, if 5 are solo and 2 are in a div i don't see how that ruins the competitiveness.  2 player div isn't the same as a 3  

No, it's not the same as 3 man. When it's 7v7 instead of 12v12, it's better.

Members
744 posts
20 battles
1 hour ago, Beauregard23 said:

Hey I totally agree that there are big problems with the new ranked system, but as I said above, the whole point of ranked is that it is the competitive solo option.  Playing solo is a core premise of the mode - there is absolutely no way WG is going to change ranked to have a div option.

• Boring 1

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles
5 hours ago, Beauregard23 said:

Running divs can make or break the match.  Potatoes teaming up because reasons means one team will be potato'd and the other likely not.  Just as you see in randoms, one team gets the potato div and the other gets a better one.  This will cause a team skill imbalance more than random MM.  With 3 ~45s going against 3 60s and the rest of the team left to russian RNG, it's a setup for a blowout. 

So far ranked MM has been more or less average. 

Edited by CV_Jeebies

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,570 posts
13,024 battles
11 hours ago, Beauregard23 said:

Have really never seen mirrored divisions in randoms  or sprint ranked . I could be wrong about sprint ranked but I don’t think so . Plenty of times one side had divisions and the other didn’t  .  

Edited by clammboy

Sign in to follow this