You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Dunkerque & Strasbourg

44 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
1,138 posts
23,160 battles

Thanks again LWM for the review.

I never owned the Dunk, but went ahead and purchased the Strasbourg and will get the credit refund in a few weeks.

I am not really overly impressed or disappointed with her.  She seems to be ok - slightly above for me.

With the 200% mission good for unlimited usage for 30 days (now about 25 or so), I just put a 19 pointer on her and she can rake up some ECXP for me, especially this week.   The dubloon refund will then help with the Commander rework if I decide to spend dubs for that.

[ARC]
Members
1,072 posts
11,497 battles
19 minutes ago, kyesac said:

Thanks again LWM for the review.

I never owned the Dunk, but went ahead and purchased the Strasbourg and will get the credit refund in a few weeks.

I am not really overly impressed or disappointed with her.  She seems to be ok - slightly above for me.

With the 200% mission good for unlimited usage for 30 days (now about 25 or so), I just put a 19 pointer on her and she can rake up some ECXP for me, especially this week.   The dubloon refund will then help with the Commander rework if I decide to spend dubs for that.

It is not a credit refund tho. You get full doubloon compensation (9500 dubs) once you end the campaign.

PD. I suppose you know it is a doubloon compensation, just check your 1st sentence to avoid misunderstandings

Edited by hanesco
  • Cool 1

[ARRSE]
Members
214 posts
1,407 battles
6 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

i feel like Strasburg could best be described as "Dunkek at T7 with a Reload Booster" and that'd say all you need to know about it

Thats pretty much my experience of playing it.

IMHO, the reload booster does not justify the Stras being elevated to Tier 7. You basically get one free reload each use of the consumable and - unless you are at point blank range - there is a good chance that the shots will either miss or have little target effect. In return for this, the ship faces Tier 9.

Oh, and absolutely no AA defence at all. Strasbourg is an easy kill for a Tier 8 CV in two or three passes - all of the CV weapons seem to have maximum effect.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,898 posts
25,782 battles

Strasbourg's existence for a FR BB this tier is already undermined by the fact the awesome Lyon with her 16-gun salvo exists.

Strasbourg:  8 guns on a good 25 seconds reload.

Lyon:  16 guns on a decent 30 seconds reload.

WoWS has a very lengthy history of Battleships with bad accuracy being made good by a combination of lots of guns and still decent reload.  On the flip side, there's a ton of 8 or so gun Battleships that are problematic despite having even 2.0 Sigma.  Colorado and Nagato this same tier are both 8 gun BBs with 2.0 Sigma, and they can't deal damage for s**t this tier.  Strasbourg is even worse, 8 guns still with 1.8 Sigma.  I hated Dunkerque in Tier VI with her 1.7 Sigma and 8 rifles, so a 0.1 Sigma improvement for Strasbourg isn't exactly instilling any good feelings with me about her.  Even worse for these FR ships, they have FR BB Dispersion, the worst Battleship Dispersion Model in the game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GRETA]
Members
479 posts
17,042 battles

Another valuable review, well done.

The AA chart is AWESOME!!!  That will help me decide which ships are worth playing!!

I would love to see that for every ship!!!

[WPORT]
Members
8,197 posts
13,218 battles

Thank you for the entertaining and thorough reviews of the Dunkerque and Strasbourg, @LittleWhiteMouse.
Bonne année.

Members
409 posts
11,835 battles

Thanks for confirming for me that the Strasbourg is worth the grind, LWM. And the city is pretty nice to visit, too. ^_^ Now have a rest and enjoy the new year for at least a week!

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,804 posts
6,031 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Strasbourg's existence for a FR BB this tier is already undermined by the fact the awesome Lyon with her 16-gun salvo exists.

Strasbourg:  8 guns on a good 25 seconds reload.

Lyon:  16 guns on a decent 30 seconds reload.

WoWS has a very lengthy history of Battleships with bad accuracy being made good by a combination of lots of guns and still decent reload.  On the flip side, there's a ton of 8 or so gun Battleships that are problematic despite having even 2.0 Sigma.  Colorado and Nagato this same tier are both 8 gun BBs with 2.0 Sigma, and they can't deal damage for s**t this tier.  Strasbourg is even worse, 8 guns still with 1.8 Sigma.  I hated Dunkerque in Tier VI with her 1.7 Sigma and 8 rifles, so a 0.1 Sigma improvement for Strasbourg isn't exactly instilling any good feelings with me about her.  Even worse for these FR ships, they have FR BB Dispersion, the worst Battleship Dispersion Model in the game.

Colorado can't deal damage?  My highest damage game was a Colorado match for a long time.  Just recently beat it with a Musashi match.  I find that Colorado does more damage than any other Tier VII BB on average, in my hands at least.

[B2P]
Members
265 posts
7,291 battles

I didn't need this review to decide for me (Probably obvious given my pfp is the waifubote Dunkerque herself), I already planned on getting Strasbourg as soon as I learned she existed. From the moment I tasted Richelieu, I fell in love with the French line. After getting Dunkerque and having fun at low tier, to eventually investing early on with JB and sacrificing some hard earned steel to secure her faster, a decision I will never regret, I was set and secure. French battleships are my favorites from T8 to T10, and JB and Dunkerque helped round out the flavor. Now I'll have Strasbourg to fill in the T7 gap as I personally hated Lyon. Regardless of how mediocre french BB accuracy can be, when you're pumping out enough shells (especially with the Honore captain) it doesn't matter, eventually something will stick, and the Reload Booster makes singular frantic and important moments incredibly in the favor of Jean Bart, and I suspect, Strasbourg. When a DD pops up too close and you have HE ready, or a cruiser shows broadside, you can use the RB to dish out enough damage to secure the advantage before the enemy can properly react.  Aside from those, there's the obvious usefulness of being able to HE sling with it too. The sheer agility of the French battleships I think is what really makes it for me, as I almost physically hurt seeing people do only bow tanking with them. I've made mockeries of so many T10 battleships in brawls with Richelieu while speed boosting because pre-Kremlin, you could literally run circles around them, outrunning turrets while being close enough to not miss that juicy broadside. It makes Kurfursts look like belly up pigs. 

I loved the in-depth review you provided as it's quite plain about the obvious and glaring flaws these ships have, yet touches on how the grace their few benefits permit makes them excellent in those regards. Agility, turret use, and for Stras/JB, the RB. I enjoy that you actually mentioned the quite strong penetration against flat armor instead of just going "Can't overmatch, just crap" like other reviewers occasionally do. The 330mm rifles can and will punch through citadels up to 15km, perhaps it may be my dumb luck, but even T8s like Massachusetts I've been able to dump on, and KGV is also not safe either.  In any case, I'm pleased with the dual review given the ships are so similar. 

[_DOS_]
Members
452 posts
3,564 battles

This might be a dumb question but how do you get the alternate/lighter shade camos for Dunkerque and Strasbourg? 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,697 posts
10,145 battles
On 12/31/2020 at 11:25 AM, mofton said:

I don't think Dunkerque is particularly good (and I have 330 games in her) which does color my impression

I agree. Dunkie can be fun at times when you play her as a battlecruiser (which she is), but power creep hasn't been kind to her, and being uptiered is more painful than in most other tier 6 BBs, IMO (and tier 6 in general isn't in a good place right now).

That's why I decided not to go for Strasbourg, the grind at the fourth mission stage is insane comparing to the ship you get for it. Reload booster is a cool gimmick, but not cool enough for me to dump that much time and effort into the game in such a short time. Thanks, WG, but no thanks.

[SIM]
Members
5,808 posts
9,268 battles
7 minutes ago, EricT2015 said:

This might be a dumb question but how do you get the alternate/lighter shade camos for Dunkerque and Strasbourg? 

You have to complete stages of the the Legion of Honor collection to unlock the alternate color scheme for French ships. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,898 posts
25,782 battles
On 1/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, Helstrem said:

Colorado can't deal damage?  My highest damage game was a Colorado match for a long time.  Just recently beat it with a Musashi match.  I find that Colorado does more damage than any other Tier VII BB on average, in my hands at least.

I've burned Tier VII BBs down with Krasny Krym, does that make her good?  No.

I'd take a bunch of Tech Tree BB competition in Tier VII over Colorado and Nagato.  The LOLORADO is roadkill and the only Tier VII BB worse than her is Gneisenau.

4th Quarter 2020 NA Server Stats.

I'll only use the Tech Tree Ships, which is amusing because there's a good number of Tech Tree BBs in Tier VII that do better than the Premium BBs here.

Win Rates & Dmg Avg

Nagato 48.17% / 49.6k

Gneisenau 49.25% / 41.6k

Lyon 50.74% / 54.5k

King George V 50.8% / 56.3k

The Beast of Sinop 51.98% / 55.1k

LOLORADO 48.32% / 46.2k

I haven't had respect for Colorado since 2015.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,804 posts
6,031 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I've burned Tier VII BBs down with Krasny Krym, does that make her good?  No.

I'd take a bunch of Tech Tree BB competition in Tier VII over Colorado and Nagato.  The LOLORADO is roadkill and the only Tier VII BB worse than her is Gneisenau.

4th Quarter 2020 NA Server Stats.

I'll only use the Tech Tree Ships, which is amusing because there's a good number of Tech Tree BBs in Tier VII that do better than the Premium BBs here.

Win Rates & Dmg Avg

Nagato 48.17% / 49.6k

Gneisenau 49.25% / 41.6k

Lyon 50.74% / 54.5k

King George V 50.8% / 56.3k

The Beast of Sinop 51.98% / 55.1k

LOLORADO 48.32% / 46.2k

I haven't had respect for Colorado since 2015.

That is orthogonal to the claim and my response.  The claim was that Colorado can't do damage.  It is entirely possible for a ship to be quite capable of doing damage, while at the same time being bad.

For me, Colorado has both a high average damage and a high win rate, but that is only over 39 battles, which is not a huge selection.  Should I keep playing Colorado it is entirely possible that I will revert to mean, but for now I average 76,255 damage and a win rate of 62% in it.  By comparison I have 35 matches in Nagato with an average damage of 55,216 and a 54% win rate.

Members
502 posts
8,350 battles

I bought the ship early with doubloons from gift cards I received for Christmas. Completed the missions, so got it for free and the  9500 dub compensation.  In the process, the Christmas crates from the various holiday missions, gave me another 600 doubloons. So in the end, I got all my doubloons back.  As for the ship, I like it. But it definitely has some flaws.  One, it's slightly heavier than the Dunk, but for some reason has the exact same health pool. It's not much, but I personally think it needs about 1-2k more health. The reload booster, is really, really, situational.  It needs either a longer action time, like a full reload 25 seconds, or perhaps a reduced reload time.  180 seconds is a LONG time in a match. I have never been able to use more than 3 so far. Other than that, I find the guns are actually pretty comfortable to use.  Being able to stay bow on, and light fires has been key to my damage dealing in it so far.  The one match I faced tier 9's though, it was punished hard. I play it like my Scharnhorst, of sorts. Focus on the cruisers first, then BB's.  The AA is laughable, even vs Tier 6 CV's.  Tier 8's have zero fear of you.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,804 posts
6,031 battles

Florida should not park flat broadside to Strasbourg at 8km.  I didn't even have reload booster ready to go because I had just used it to kill a DD.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,593 posts
18,560 battles

shot-21_01.14_22_46.27-0969.thumb.jpg.b3af9f4c93c2b78435e72d301ad072d2.jpg

This was literally my first game in the Strasbourg. I expected more fires, less citadels, and a better ability to bounce enemy shells. It felt like every shot that hit did damage or set me on fire, or both. Concealment is awful and the secondaries were cranking off rounds at one point, but just didn't hit anything. Also, bow tanking doesn't work that well in this ship. I do like the gun handling though, very similar to the Dunq. 

Overall, good ship for free but I'm glad I didn't buy her. 

Members
1 post
20 battles

I'm really fond of my Strasbourg (grinded through its missions); it's actually a pretty Boat with Golden Guns (-> winter camo), and a damn good earner in Narai IMHO.

Another player said to me that the AP shells tend to overpen the cruisers in this mission, true, but it's nice to hit the citadel of the Missouri that presents itself in the middle of the scenario. And if you're getting to square F10 after attacking the CV, you could drive at 1/4 seep and leisurely citadel the NY and sink some other ships in the bay there...

Regards, Nightowl