You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Hizen reviews?

85 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
2,202 posts
13,198 battles

I looked but can't find any, did I miss it? Have there been any reviews of the Hizen yet? I have the Musashi and Yammy, do well in both but find the sit back and fire playstyle pretty boring, so curious if Hizen is more of the same. Got links or info?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,325 posts
17,285 battles

Here's another couple:

Get as many perspectives as you can; something which a particular reviewer identifies as deal-breaking or must-have for them might not be something you consider critical, and vice versa. 

• Thanks 4

[FORM]
Members
2,202 posts
13,198 battles

Thanks guys, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :)

Beta Testers
3,290 posts
26,945 battles

The Impression I got playing her it felt like I was playing an American Battleship with her rifles....................... 

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles

I'd take Zoups Hizen review with a large pinch of salt. He gets a lot wrong and I get the feeling he rushed it out whilst also dealing with the lack of sleep bought on by teething twins.

Firstly the Hizen and the Izumo have the same speed. He mentions the Hizen being faster 'with a speed flag' at 29 knots...which is the same as the Izumo with a speed flag.

The guns aren't the same on the Hizen as they are on the Izumo, they're actually slightly worse more comparable to the old A hull guns on the Izumo back when hulls effected guns, not a huge amount but just slightly.

Lastly he's like "oh why would you want this ship over the Izumo..." maybe because it's a tier 9 Premium and the only other tier 9 premium IJN BB is the musashi which you can't get easily and only turns up in Santa crates nor can you grind it for free/lower cost than buying $600 worth of Santa crates.

Edit: Wow someone thumbs down me for putting corrections to misinformation despite also explaining why it's understandable he made those mistakes...some people REALLY don't like it when you mention their favorite youtuber (who was clearly freaking exhausted in the video due to dealing with adulting stuff) maybe being a bit wrong.

Edited by Yandere_Roon
  • Cool 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 3

[ARGSY]
Members
23,325 posts
17,285 battles
7 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Lastly he's like "oh why would you want this ship over the Izumo..." maybe because it's a tier 9 Premium and the only other tier 9 premium IJN BB is the musashi which you can't get easily and only turns up in Santa crates nor can you grind it for free/lower cost than buying $600 worth of Santa crates.

I don't mind long-serving CC's being showered with a gazillion megatons of free stuff every three milliseconds, or having been in the game long enough to get all the banned goodies before they were pulled, but sometimes I feel it leads some of them to lose perspective on what some of the rest of us don't have and can no longer reliably get.

I try to keep that in perspective when advising new players, but even I can't resist knowing how good it feels that I was in the right place with the right resources at the right time, and that as a result I have a fair swath of currently unavailable (Black), banned (Musashi, Jean Bart, Smolensk) or about to be banned (Georgia, Thunderer) ships in my port that I either didn't pay money for or paid a pittance for crates and got super-ultra-lucky (Enterprise).

• Cool 2

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't mind long-serving CC's being showered with a gazillion megatons of free stuff every three milliseconds, or having been in the game long enough to get all the banned goodies before they were pulled, but sometimes I feel it leads some of them to lose perspective on what some of the rest of us don't have and can no longer reliably get.

I try to keep that in perspective when advising new players, but even I can't resist knowing how good it feels that I was in the right place with the right resources at the right time, and that as a result I have a fair swath of currently unavailable (Black), banned (Musashi, Jean Bart, Smolensk) or about to be banned (Georgia, Thunderer) ships in my port that I either didn't pay money for or paid a pittance for crates and got super-ultra-lucky (Enterprise).

Agreed if, like some of the reviews you posted, took into consideration the fact of "do you have the Musashi?" if the answer is yes...she's not really worth it. The Musashi has 460mm guns at tier 9 and can, and does, regularly meet tier 7s she's, rather surprisngly, more accurate than the Hizen with 1.8 vs 1.7, reloads faster and has better penetration at range plus higher AP damage.

Sure she doesn't have the huge alpha strike capability of the Hizen but thanks to the Hizen having guns closer to the Amagi than the Izumo (which Zoup didn't consider) it also means the Musashi will often pen what she hits.

However if you don't have the Musashi she's a good replacement because A) there's no other option that's cheaper to get currently even if you whale out and buy the whole thing straight off (though if you had that kind of cash laying around the ARP Yamato would have been a better choice) because the Musashi, much like the Missouri is considered a 'rare' ship in Santa crates. Thanks to a rather large influx of surplus cash this Christmas I was able to whale out like hell and spend around $700 on Santa crates, netting me the Missouri and the Musashi amongst other ships....but I am not the norm for the game atm, I'm an outlier.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,200 posts
20,978 battles
33 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

I'd take Zoups Hizen review with a large pinch of salt. He gets a lot wrong and I get the feeling he rushed it out whilst also dealing with the lack of sleep bought on by teething twins.

Happens more often lately. I mean, I get it and sympathize with him but the overall quality of his videos has gone down slightly.

34 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Edit: Wow someone thumbs down me for putting corrections to misinformation despite also explaining why it's understandable he made those mistakes

Take it as a compliment. I get downvoted just for posting. To me it's a compliment that apparently my very existence is enough to get people upset, that's just funny to me.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 6

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Happens more often lately. I mean, I get it and sympathize with him but the overall quality of his videos has gone down slightly.

Take it as a compliment. I get downvoted just for posting. To me it's a compliment that apparently my very existence is enough to get people upset, that's just funny to me.

Eh just thought it was funny if I'm honest, like I wasn't even doing the whole 'he's a Wargaming shill, raa raa raa...' stuff was just 'he's clearly tired from doing the adult stuff and he made some mistakes, here's the correct information'. I don't tend to watch Zoup all that much as he's...yeah...not my cup of tea shall we say, he has some odd opinions if I'm honest but then it's better to check a myriad of sources for reviews. I watched Sea Lord's video on it first and he seemed really happy with the ship others have expressed more muted responses but the general response seems to be 'she's ok...'

Which is kind of a good thing if I'm honest, if she was OP as hell...ouch...but she's not terrible either.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,200 posts
20,978 battles
Just now, Yandere_Roon said:

Eh just thought it was funny if I'm honest, like I wasn't even doing the whole 'he's a Wargaming shill, raa raa raa...' stuff was just 'he's clearly tired from doing the adult stuff and he made some mistakes, here's the correct information'. I don't tend to watch Zoup all that much as he's...yeah...not my cup of tea shall we say, he has some odd opinions if I'm honest but then it's better to check a myriad of sources for reviews. I watched Sea Lord's video on it first and he seemed really happy with the ship others have expressed more muted responses but the general response seems to be 'she's ok...'

Which is kind of a good thing if I'm honest, if she was OP as hell...ouch...but she's not terrible either.

Fully agreed. Sealord and Mouse are the ones I trust most where it comes to reviews, that's not to say that I think they are flawless, just that their opinions and mine tend to align more often than not and them both being better players than me just means I can always learn from them how to play a ship.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[FORM]
Members
2,202 posts
13,198 battles
24 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

TBH, I didn't even watch it. Not to sound snarky, but I disagree with so much of what he says in most of his videos that I just don't value his opinion on things. Between Iolair and Carbine's reviews I think I've got a good picture of her... and I'm going to pass on the effort to get her in the Dockyard. I've no real interest in a poor AA brawl in close if you're butt pointing inward IJN ship. Personally, I always find Carbine's reviews solid and very matter of fact on things, though he talks so slowly that I speed up his clips to 1.25 speed. Must be the New Yawkah in me ;)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles
6 minutes ago, TheArc said:

TBH, I didn't even watch it. Not to sound snarky, but I disagree with so much of what he says in most of his videos that I just don't value his opinion on things. Between Iolair and Carbine's reviews I think I've got a good picture of her... and I'm going to pass on the effort to get her in the Dockyard. I've no real interest in a poor AA brawl in close if you're butt pointing inward IJN ship. Personally, I always find Carbine's reviews solid and very matter of fact on things, though he talks so slowly that I speed up his clips to 1.25 speed. Must be the New Yawkah in me ;)

That's fair and yeah...I'm the same with Zoup he's expressed some kinda weird opinions in the past that I haven't agreed with and thanks to looking after twins plus working a night shift his video quality has (understandably) taken quite a bit of a hit so I if I do watch his videos I take them with a huge grain of salt. I mean he calls the Izumo the Azuma for the first 5 minutes of the video thanks to sleep deprivation.

I know of exactly 1 youtuber where them having a child didn't effect their output (but you could tell the sleep deprivation was kicking in) and that was Northernlion but then that dude has always been a workhorse of a youtuber regularly pumping out like 5 videos a day of lengths from 30 minutes to 1 hour long and youtube is his job unlike Zoup who has to work as well as make videos.

Edited by Yandere_Roon
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,087 posts
22,484 battles
42 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well said.  "Perspective" is relevancy in a given culture....  His culture isn't a normal players culture;...... and, he gets free stuff as you mentioned and we don't.....  And, he get's paid somehow to talk to us...? 

I played the Hizen a few minutes ago for the first time.  As an IJN main, just having a Tier 9 Premium is a boon.  I couldn't afford the Musashi when I joined and didn't realize the concept of rare ships either......Ooooops !

The Hizen is squishier than the Izumo and the Yammy.   Twelve guns in COOP always helps because we don't usually have long range, hiding duels........  So, with a 10.6 secondary build, a secondary CPT (my Yammy 19 pointer), she is a good COOP brawler.  Not at any other Nation's level, mind........but, a good addition to the IJN's stable of BB's....  There, a review from a Potato COOP main.........she'll do just fine.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,325 posts
17,285 battles
9 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I played the Hizen a few minutes ago for the first time. 

Here be whales!

10 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

And, he get's paid somehow to talk to us...? 

He gets paid by WG in game stuff rather than in cash, but the pressure to keep the content coming out can lead to a fall in quality. My opinion on "publish or perish" - in this context or any other - is not one I can set down accurately here, as it would require language the mods would not approve of. It's the reason why I only put out two vids a week, sometimes scheduling them up to a month in advance, as real life can sometimes do stupid things to my production schedule.

• Cool 2

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
222 posts
1,728 battles

even the first reviews of this ship (i.e. the reviews themselves) are a mixed bag lol. Must be everyone getting too busy with the holidays and holiday events. Merry Christmas CCs I guess? 

• Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Here be whales!

He gets paid by WG in game stuff rather than in cash, but the pressure to keep the content coming out can lead to a fall in quality. My opinion on "publish or perish" - in this context or any other - is not one I can set down accurately here, as it would require language the mods would not approve of. It's the reason why I only put out two vids a week, sometimes scheduling them up to a month in advance, as real life can sometimes do stupid things to my production schedule.

Yeah but that's less WG and more the youtube at work. CCs will rush to be 'the first' to publish a review on a new ship/ship line in order to get the most views...which leads to things like Zoup rushing out his video on the Hizen despite being in a state where he REALLY shouldn't be doing a ship review (if you calling the Izumo the Azuma for five minutes in and you're names not Jingles who admits he's old and crap when it comes to stuff like that and its part of his charm...you might not be in the best state to be making ship reviews). 

This also leads to the 'outrage culture' we've seen recently, though WG hasn't helped themselves with the CV rework and now the Commander Skills rework (and probably Subs introduction next year) seemingly being pushed to live waaaaay before its ready and with little consideration on how the game is played it seems but being controversial generates more clicks than being pensive or wary. It's why I don't watch Zoup, some of his opinions like "the CV rework is great and anyone saying anything bad about it is wrong" (I enjoy the CV rework but even I can see there's problems in it) video just screams 'controversial for the sake of clicks'. He's not the only one that does it, Flamu tends to go all in on it as well and if you've watched his twitch streams he's also as toxic as all hell.

Some of these CCs (Especially Flamu) comes across like they're trapped playing a game they nolonger enjoy because it's what pulls their audience in and when you've been a single topic channel for years, moving away from that is usually a death sentence for your channel so they keep playing a game they hate because it brings in the youtube/twitch money. I've noticed a few have tried to branch out (Flamu started playing Azur Lane) but I imagine the numbers aren't there and you never see any of this 'other content' on their youtube channels.

Edited by Yandere_Roon
  • Cool 2

[STRAW]
Members
14 posts
11,324 battles
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Agreed if, like some of the reviews you posted, took into consideration the fact of "do you have the Musashi?" if the answer is yes...she's not really worth it.

Thank you! I was curious and tempted about this for the last 2 days, so I'll stick with my Musashi. After all the nerfs I was really dissapointed about this ship having the same fate as the Anchorage, other ship I was really excited, just to find out it's not that good and most of the time a port queen.

[GOCRY]
Members
724 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

:Smile_trollface:

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Take it as a compliment. I get downvoted just for posting

I think this statement resulted in some downvotes, just to be funny or to prove  your point.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,200 posts
20,978 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

I think this statement resulted in some downvotes, just to be funny or to prove  your point.

I'm 100% sure about that. Which is all just fine and in good humor.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Here be whales!

Saw my first in Coop. He was probably collecting snowflakes too.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,325 posts
17,285 battles
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

CCs will rush to be 'the first'

See, this is what I don't get. Maybe I'm just not neurotypical, but unless it's a "going away tomorrow, gotta have a review NOW" sort of thing, I'm not the sort of person who NEEDS or even WANTS a review immediately upon release day.

I'd rather wait a bit, let the reviewer handle the ship in the form in which she's been released into the wild, and take a slightly delayed but significantly more detailed and factually correct opinion over one that's been pushed out in too much of a hurry to farm the first click - and which suffers either from the real-life pressures Zoup is under or last-minute nerfs by WG.

That also lets first-adopters here in the forums who aren't CC's or streamers and aren't getting special-privilege or early-access perks report on what the ship is like in their hands. This gives me the perspective of people who actually paid for the damn thing (in some fashion or other) and feel obliged to present their opinion on whether the ship was worth what they gave up for it.

The only ship I ever got on release day was the Smolensk, and that's because I wanted her to kill bots with and the NA forums' supreme king of all bot killers already had her and was doing great slaughter in her. (Technically speaking I picked up Neustrashimy on her first day as a coal ship, but by then she already had a history in-game as a steel boat and cold-light-of-day reviews which showed me why I should invest resources in her.)

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,235 battles
4 hours ago, Tachnechdorus said:

The Impression I got playing her it felt like I was playing an American Battleship with her rifles....................... 

It definitely has come crazy dispersion now and then, but I found it more pleasant to drive than the USN BBs due to better speed. AA is standard-issue IJN useless but the secondaries have surprising range. Their placement is all sorts of terrible but they reach surprisingly far.

Biggest issue I found is the strange rounded citadel shape from the front means it eats citadels in the bow area regardless of how you angle. It isnt as big a target as Yamato's and Musashi's chins by a long shot but it is definitely there. I dont think there is any safe angle to deflect BB fire from the front but the target is small. I've never had someone hit it more than once. Its armor is very solid if you can angle from the rear.