You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
John370

Uptiered Tactics?

7 comments in this topic

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,405 battles

I play a lot of T8, cruisers and battleships, and have had some rough games lately when uptiered. I either don't have the range to hit targets, or my shells bounce when they do hit. The general advice on these forums when uptiered seems to be to play conservatively, in a support role etc, but I'm struggling to find success here. It seems either my team wins, and I contribute little (because I don't have the range to hit anything when it's time to push), I'm deleted swiftly if I try to come within range, or my screen battle is lost and I can only flee before being sunk.  I know the experience calculator gives more credit for damaging higher-tier ships, but it frankly doesn't seem to reflect (or sufficiently reward) the routine pain that is uptiering.  How do folks best get around this?

[O_O]
Members
6,966 posts
16,964 battles
38 minutes ago, John370 said:

How do folks best get around this?

Play smart.

I can't give you detailed advice without knowing what types of ships you are playing...or even specifically what ships you are playing.

I have learned that playing smart when bottom tier can yield great XP and credit rewards.  But, I have also kept track of my bottom tier games, and to keep things brief, when bottom tier and playing Tier 8 ships:

989 games played in tier 8 ships, 398 were bottom tier...or 41%.

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,759 battles
42 minutes ago, John370 said:

I play a lot of T8, cruisers and battleships, and have had some rough games lately when uptiered. I either don't have the range to hit targets, or my shells bounce when they do hit. The general advice on these forums when uptiered seems to be to play conservatively, in a support role etc, but I'm struggling to find success here. It seems either my team wins, and I contribute little (because I don't have the range to hit anything when it's time to push), I'm deleted swiftly if I try to come within range, or my screen battle is lost and I can only flee before being sunk.  I know the experience calculator gives more credit for damaging higher-tier ships, but it frankly doesn't seem to reflect (or sufficiently reward) the routine pain that is uptiering.  How do folks best get around this?

If you're in tier 8 BB you should reach most ships that can reach out to and touch you...cruisers remember you hitting dds their armor is always weak to your guns and they have the juicy xp you're looking for ....you don't want to trade with BBs when in cruisers because your health is more important than his...he heals more.....I have a youtube channel Meta_man2002 where I do strategy, reviews, and how to videos....I have all classes in my videos....good luck.....

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,405 battles
10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Play smart.

I can't give you detailed advice without knowing what types of ships you are playing...or even specifically what ships you are playing.

I have learned that playing smart when bottom tier can yield great XP and credit rewards.  But, I have also kept track of my bottom tier games, and to keep things brief, when bottom tier and playing Tier 8 ships:

989 games played in tier 8 ships, 398 were bottom tier...or 41%.

Playing Baltimore and Anchorage the range is an issue. With Mass, it's an issue of range, and AP ricochets. 

[WOLFD]
Members
851 posts
6,892 battles
1 hour ago, John370 said:

For starters, the bonus XP earned for damaging higher tier ships is more than offset by the reduced damage you do.  If you think WG is going to create a formula to reward the bottom tier ships in a match more than the top tier ships; your fooling only yourself. 

At best the average results will be equal, worse case you do not do as well because you don't survive long enough to do enough damage to get to the Average point. 

In reality the imbalance is that ships are up tiered way to often!  My T5-T7 ship in random see about 69% bottom tier matches.  I have been keeping track for about 200 games now.  WG thinks it is fine, but it is not.  At best the game should be no more than 2 tier in a match, T5-T6, T6-T7, etc. 

The only solution  WG wants is for everyone to play T10 and pay to play there because you lose credits in almost every match. 

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,405 battles
42 minutes ago, AXELGREASE said:

For starters, the bonus XP earned for damaging higher tier ships is more than offset by the reduced damage you do.  If you think WG is going to create a formula to reward the bottom tier ships in a match more than the top tier ships; your fooling only yourself. 

At best the average results will be equal, worse case you do not do as well because you don't survive long enough to do enough damage to get to the Average point. 

In reality the imbalance is that ships are up tiered way to often!  My T5-T7 ship in random see about 69% bottom tier matches.  I have been keeping track for about 200 games now.  WG thinks it is fine, but it is not.  At best the game should be no more than 2 tier in a match, T5-T6, T6-T7, etc. 

The only solution  WG wants is for everyone to play T10 and pay to play there because you lose credits in almost every match. 

I haven't tracked my stats, but I suspect they're similar.  Beside the XP issue, the bigger concern is these games just aren't as much fun.

[PVE]
Members
7,852 posts
23,816 battles
16 hours ago, John370 said:

Simple answer is rock/paper/scissors.

BBs do the most damage against cruisers...especially broadside cruisers but if the calibur is high enough on the guns even bow in cruisers.

T8 BBs will wreck T10 cruisers.

Cruisers do the best damage against DDs.

T8 cruisers will wreck T10 DDs.

Try to attack the higher tier ships your ship is designed to do the most damage to.

But the percentage is only around 10% for higher tier ships of each tier I do believe so the best you are getting is 20% extra XP. It's best to hit the higher tiers but hitting a lower tier DD in a cruiser will pay off better than attacking a higher tier BB because you will do better damage percentage against the DD.

BB attacking lower tier DDs will mostly overpen so attacking a lower tier cruiser will probably pay off better than trying to attack a higher tier DD...but you should always try to attack a DD if you have a good shot in anything...because it's a DD.

In DDs the BBs are your ideal target as they are worse at dodging your torps than the others.

W/all the gimmicks nowadays even the rock/paper/scissors is circumstantial & some ships are designed to perform best outside the r/p/s parameters.

Heavy CAs like the anchorage are good against cruisers & BBs & so is the Baltimore for that matter. They can wreck other cruisers (especially the CLs) & take sizable chunks off of BBs that give them good broadsides...but best to make sure the BBs are distracted & you have an easy out if they decide to switch to you as a target.

Mass is a 2ndary beast when specced for it & is best used up close (if specced for it...not recommended for survival builds) but use islands to get up close instead of trying to rush them & allow them to tear you down on the way.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Thanks 1