Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
alligay

Need another Premium Aircraft Carrier for US Navy?

8 comments in this topic

[USAF]
Members
26 posts
1,451 battles

Hello all, 

If WG wants to add a Tier 6 Premium Normal Aircraft Carrier for US Navy, USS Wasp would be a good idea.

image.jpeg.57a46f6e35ae9817af20d53a9682185f.jpeg

Ship

Length - 225.9 meters ~ 226 meters

Beam - 33.2 meters

Draft - 6.1 meters

Speed - 29.5 knots

Cost - same as Ark Royal and Erich Loewenhardt (6,300 doubloons) 

Secondary Armament

Eight 127mm guns

Firing Range - 4.5km

Rate of Fire - 13.33 shots/minute

Reload Time - 4.5s

HE shell - 127mm HE/HC Mk36 (Same as Ranger)

Maximum HE shell Damage - 1,800

AA Defence 1

sixteen 28mm AA guns

Average damage per second - between  24 - 34

Firing range - 3 - 4km

AA Defence 2

twenty-four 12.7mm Browning

Average damage per second - between 90 - 120

Firing Range - 1.2km

Maneuverability

Top Speed - 29.5 knots

Turning radius...

Rudder Shift time...

Concealment

Detectability by Sea

Ranger - 14.22km

Wasp - 14 - 15km

Detectability by Air

Ranger - 10.66km

Wasp - 11 - 12km

Aircraft Compliment

Rocket Aircraft - F4U Corsair

Rockets in payload - 8

Damage - 2,000

Fire chance - 7%

Cruise speed - 130 - 150

Hit Point - 1460

Squadron size - 6, 3 per attack run/ 2 per attack run (Tell me what you rather)

Number of Aircraft on deck - 9

Aircraft restoration time - 45 - 60 seconds

Torpedo Bombers - TBF Avenger

Torpedos in payload - 1

Range - 2.5km

Damage - 6,467

Flooding chance - 52%

Cruising speed - 110 - 130

Hit points - 1,800

Squadron size - 8, 2 per attack run

Number of Aircraft on deck - 12

Aircraft restoration time - 50 - 65 seconds

Dive Bombers - SBD Dauntless

Bombs in payload - 1

Bomb type - AP(according to Enterprise, If a light cv is added, bomb type would be HE)

Maximum damage - 8,000 - 10,000

Cruising speed - 90 - 110

Hit points - 1,890

Squadron Size - 6, 3 per attack run

Number of Aircraft on deck - 9

Restoration time - 40 - 55 seconds

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
6,969 posts
16,974 battles

Actually, I think the queue of USN CV's (both premium and tech tree), and the queue of ALL nations' CV's, are plenty populated.

I vote for NO MORE premium CV's or new tech tree CV's until the entire CV mess is properly sorted out.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[O_O]
Members
6,969 posts
16,974 battles
27 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

HOw about just bringing back what they removed... 

You mean the days of RTS CV's spotting nearly the entire map with multiple flights, and cross-drop TBD's?

Yeah, pass.  X2 CV's per team needs fixing, but I still think the new CV's are better for the majority of us than the old, RTS CV's.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,467 posts
13,117 battles

Both the USN and IJN need a tier 6 eventually, and Wasp would be a good fit.

On the other hand, TBF Avengers are probably off the table for a Tier 6 CV and F4U's are definitely out of the question.

You're looking at F4F Wildcats and TBD Devastators. early F6F Hellcats tops.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
21 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

You mean the days of RTS CV's spotting nearly the entire map with multiple flights, and cross-drop TBD's?

Yeah, pass.  X2 CV's per team needs fixing, but I still think the new CV's are better for the majority of us than the old, RTS CV's.

No, I meant all the carriers removed for the rework that just sort of went away... seemingly forever... there was at least one premium I'd like out of that group... let alone all the even-tiered carriers. 

Maybe when they bring the bouncing bettys onto the scene they will look at doing that... bringing the old ones back. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,203 posts
12,102 battles

No, no, no, no, no.

For starters - there needs to not be another damn CV at all, of any kind or nation, till they actually FIX the damn things and get the balance right.

F4U corsair's- Absolutely NOT. For starters - the type wasn't introduced till 3 months after the ships loss, moreover they were incapable of CV operations till around 1944. To say nothing of putting tier 8/9 aircraft on a tier 6 CV. And not with that kind of restore time. 

TBF Avengers - generally the tier 7 TB and you want 8x in a group  with 1800 HP - that's 14400 HP for the group minimum. More than ranger, with faster planes, more torp damage, higher flood chance, and faster restore.

And as far as Dauntless's - your talking SBD-2/3 operating from her - which were generally limited to 500 lb bombs in operation, 1000 lb bombs were more the later SBD 5 when they increased engine power. For some context, despite Wargaming changing the bomb name from the former 800 kg bombs they had been using at some point - the current tier 6-8 IJN AP bombs are a 694.5 pound rocket bomb, and a 1082.5 pound technically armour piercing bomb that deal 5100 and 6200 respectively. Also - at that much damage on AP bombs your talking the potential to 1 shot same tier battleships unless it has the absolute worst RNG and/or aim at which point, what is the point?

Also your talking about AA inadequate for the tier as is. You've proposed a bizarre timeline mishmash when premiums are supposed to reflect a ship at a point in time (Kaga and other things since the rework is another story and something Wargaming needs to address), that in many ways - would be the exact thing the anti-CV community thinks all CV's are already. 

The first question, and one Wargaming forgets to ask when making premium CV's/lines is - what is the ships 'role'? Is it a DD hunter? A cruiser killer? A capital ship predator? A good place to start is history. Wasp in her last battle had ~F4F-4's (if not 3s), 30 SBD2/3's and maybe a dozen Avengers, as well as 8x1 127 mm guns, 4x4 1.1 inch 'Chicago piano's', 32x1 20 mm and 1x1 40 mm. Look at other CV's of the tier like Ranger you'll find similar AA. 

So while it does have a tier 7 group, it has a very limited number, and the in-game ship if going with this date should reflect that. Which puts it at relying mainly on DB's and fighters. Technically speaking, it shouldn't have rockets, as the first rockets, the 3.5 and 5 inch FFAR did not enter operation till 1943, but I have a feeling that people would complain if Wildcats only carried the historical 2x 100 lb bombs. So, fine, it gets rockets. HOWEVER - were going to abide by the fact that these are not late war GM wildcats but early war Grumman models limited to 100 lbs of ordnance per wing, and the 5 inch FFAR weighs 80 pounds. If we want to go with AP because I can't find the year it was produced, best guess is it would be the AN-M58A1, intended for use vs lighter armoured warships. Few TB's, rockets but no real volume like others, bombs geared for lighter armoured warships, which gives us our role - a cruiser hunter. 

So, lets flip back to history, and add in some balance Wargaming has failed to do yet. 

While the F4F being tier 6 is a bit debatable, it is currently so, so we give it the same F4F stats as Ranger regarding speed, HP, etc. Except that each plane has 2x 5" FFAR that deal 800-1000 damage per hit (instead of what the HVAR should do at around 1000-1200), with 4 planes per attack flight, 12 per squadron, with 30 on deck total (so counting the 12). And because I know some people will tweak seeing that aside from rocket damage being where it should be - it has 50% of the rockets that Ranger has, and doesn't have the volume for insane accuracy. So it's not nearly as likely to decimate DD's, and while it will certainly have HP to attack cruisers and BB's - it's intended to attack cruisers, and 8x rockets without some lucky fires isn't going to do a ton to BB's. 

Which, then brings us to TB's - 12 on deck total of the TBF, with the same torpedo as the Ranger planes. however - it's 1 group of 8 planes that attacks in 4's, not totally dissimilar to Kaga but no angle in. The idea being that it will be a bit easier to try and catch a cruiser with these spreads, and still leave some punch vs BB's. They will however, have a longer regen time than the Devastators of Ranger so 70 seconds+)

And then the SBD's - packing 500 lb bombs that generally citadel cruisers, and score maybe normal pens on most BB's they see. So we'll say around 3-4k damage per bomb, very much similar to the F4F's 3 groups of 4 attacking, with 30 total on deck. While attacking with 12 planes - they'd have to citadel with 8-11 bombs to completely wipe a cruiser of the same tier, and there's no way they devastate a BB in one run (even getting 12/12 pens, your talking at the max damage 15,840 damage when generally you see 50k or higher BB health - meaning it has to do that about 4 times which should take around 5-10 minutes depending on distance between CV and target and the CV not taking heavy losses. 

Plus it then has AA to not get wrecked by the tier 8's it'd see time to time or even just other 6's. Though I can't fathom a guess at regen at the moment on the F4F's and SBD's - in theory AA would be properly balanced before this is added, meaning that it should take some losses, using the numbers I came up with here based on the HP of the F4F's on my Ranger at the moment (may have some skills upgrades but it's late and not checking) attacking the tier 6 and 8 American cruisers (arguably some of the heaviest AA in the game) would lose 3-5 planes if they dodged flak perfectly out of 12. The SBD should be similar numbers in losses in the initial attack run (which yes, that's the initial losses on the first passes totaling 25-40%). But admittedly - plane HP needs adjusting along with the AA. But having it's more historical hanger it has some built in depth to take losses similar to Kaga, E, etc. 

But that's a 2 hour rough draft from 10 pm to midnight off the top of my head with minimal research just to get the ordnance names and types right. I could probably make something more detailed or change it's role, but I'm half asleep and as it is I'm basically doing that with the existing lines. 

• Boring 1

[VVV]
Members
2,804 posts
5,065 battles
4 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

The problem is that there's a CV in almost every game now instead of maybe 1 in 5 if you were unlucky in the RTS days. And the RTS CVs at least were permanently weakened by attrition of their planes. Along with AA skills and DFAA actually being relevant.

And if the CV player on your team was good he could actually help defend you from the enemy CV's bombers. With the rework CVs there's little a friendly CV can do to deter the enemy CV; fighter consumables are even less useful than flak and DFAA.

Sign in to follow this