You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

I think people are misunderstanding the reality of our playerbase

86 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,404 posts
2,217 battles

Honestly the majority of players find nothing wrong with the game, me included (for the most part).

I get that certain things frustrate people but the majority of players probably just go 'meh' and go back to playing. I'm sure much to the chagrin of some players the majority don't care about CV's. For me they don't ruin my game, I don't find them annoying, and generally I haven't felt they made matches unplayable. Sometimes they harass me and that can get annoying, other times they leave me alone and I go on about my game. The games that annoy me I get short tempered at for a brief moment but then I just move on and don't give it a second thought.

Yeah I'm sure for some this game has many factors that break the game and make it unplayable but unfortunately the majority of the player base just doesn't feel the same way and as long as they feel the game is fine WG won't make any effort to make drastic changes. This rings especially true after the CV rework which at most brought back the same complaints and really didn't change opinions about CV's for the large majority. Drastic changes cost money an if they negatively affect the large majority of the player base then it's not worth the risk.

It's the current business model of almost any online game anymore. 

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 13
  • Boring 16
  • Meh 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,277 battles
18 minutes ago, otakuben said:

Honestly the majority of players find nothing wrong with the game, me included (for the most part).

I get that certain things frustrate people but the majority of players probably just go 'meh' and go back to playing. I'm sure much to the chagrin of some players the majority don't care about CV's. For me they don't ruin my game, I don't find them annoying, and generally I haven't felt they made matches unplayable. Sometimes they harass me and that can get annoying, other times they leave me alone and I go on about my game. The games that annoy me I get short tempered at for a brief moment but then I just move on and don't give it a second thought.

Yeah I'm sure for some this game has many factors that break the game and make it unplayable but unfortunately the majority of the player base just doesn't feel the same way and as long as they feel the game is fine WG won't make any effort to make drastic changes. This rings especially true after the CV rework which at most brought back the same complaints and really didn't change opinions about CV's for the large majority. Drastic changes cost money an if they negatively affect the large majority of the player base then it's not worth the risk.

:Smile_great:Beg to disagree

giphy.gif

• Cool 3
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts
22 minutes ago, otakuben said:

BAIT!

giphy (25).gif

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,277 battles
28 minutes ago, otakuben said:

It's the current business model of almost any online game anymore. :Smile_sceptic:

:Smile_great:Must be a CV  driver

3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

BAIT!

giphy (25).gif

:Smile_great:giphy.gif

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 1

[SIM]
Members
5,785 posts
9,263 battles

The OP is right, and all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum equates to absolutely nothing of substance. 

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 8
  • Meh 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

The OP is right, and all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum equates to absolutely nothing of substance. 

Yet many do try to convince us players on this forum are listened to, that it does indeed change things. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,404 posts
2,217 battles
4 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Thank you. If people want a good example look to World of Warcraft. They have millions of active players and the forums do little to affect the game despite their claims of the game being the worst etc.

1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yet many do try to convince us players on this forum are listened to, that it does indeed change things. :cap_haloween:

I think to a degree the forum is listened to but only if the outcry is large enough both from the forum and the game in general (see the Smolensk).

• Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,164 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

You're a battleship main whose third most played ship is a CV. 

Nuff said. 

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,404 posts
2,217 battles
11 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

You're a battleship main whose third most played ship is a CV. 

Nuff said. 

Whatever makes you feel better about ignoring facts.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,404 posts
2,217 battles
4 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Internet forums are even less indicative of a population base then reddit

That's saying something too.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
832 posts
5,105 battles

Honestly the majority of players find nothing wrong with the game 

Sure bud, sure. The silent majority always agrees with whatever point you make 

• Cool 4

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

OP is more or less right. At the end of the day the majority is either ok with the game state or they walk. They don't go onto forums or reddit or where ever and try to fight a losing battle. Does that mean they necessarily love every aspect of the gameplay? No, of course not. However the ones that stick around are ok enough with it to just keep playing anyway. Forums represent an incredibly small subset of the population, one that is usually more invested and with stronger opinions that the rest of it.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
Members
851 posts
6,892 battles

Thank you. If people want a good example look to World of Warcraft. They have millions of active players and the forums do little to affect the game despite their claims of the game being the worst etc.

World of Warcraft had over 12 million players at their peak.  The number fell so low they stopped reporting it and switched to a different metric in their reports.  In fact, the expac where they took flight away went over so terribly, they stoped development of the expac, put flight back in and released the next expansion ahead of schedule.  Tell me players do not have an impact if enough stand up and say no more.

Therefore if enough wallet warriors stop paying, WG will take notice.  But if your content pay away, I have zero problem with that.  Your happy, do as you please with your money.  I am happy you are having fun. 

4 days in a row 80% of my games have been bottom tier and about half of them have been double CV games.  Not fun.

In the end the truth is that any time the game drives players away it is bad

• Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,338 posts
17,511 battles
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

There is a huge group of players out there that are having too much fun to understand how bad the game is.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1

[DRY]
Members
186 posts

The op is absolutely right. The worst thing about the game right now isn't game balance out loot crates, it's a small number of ranting, raving players who keep saying they're on the way out the door and decrying the game for dead... But never leaving. 

It's no wonder l that Hapa's said it's difficult to get more than a tiny fraction of players onto the forums. Any kind of decent, positive conversation about the game we like and choose to spend time with is  drowned out by the manufactured outrage of the minute. Dare to say it's not a big deal, that you're happy with the game, and we're told that we're stupid, dishonest shills for WG. 

And that's not even getting to the ludicrous conspiracy theories. Though, to be fair, I hope that the guy who thinks matchmaking is rigged to screw with him, personally, to keep his winrate low never stops. That's just comedy gold.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,865 posts
712 battles

You don't need to sample a majority to get a good idea of the game's trends.

For example.

There was a poll that circulated numerous sub-Reddits and Discord channels. It had about 8,500 respondents - which is more than the average peak players per day for the game. It had about 74% of it's respondents saying they believed that CVs were bad for the game overall. This is a large sample size for a game that is, let's be frank, this small.

There was another poll that was only posted in a single Sub-Reddit that asked generally the same questions and had about 800 respondents - a much more modest sampling - but it too showed that about 74% of it's respondents believed that CVs were, in general, bad for the game.

Two polls with vastly different exposure with vastly different sample sizes that returned generally the same results.

That's pretty consistent. 

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
7 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

You don't need to sample a majority to get a good idea of the game's trends.

For example.

There was a poll that circulated numerous sub-Reddits and Discord channels. It had about 8,500 respondents - which is more than the average peak players per day for the game. It had about 74% of it's respondents saying they believed that CVs were bad for the game overall. This is a large sample size for a game that is, let's be frank, this small.

There was another poll that was only posted in a single Sub-Reddit that asked generally the same questions and had about 800 respondents - a much more modest sampling - but it too showed that about 74% of it's respondents believed that CVs were, in general, bad for the game.

Two polls with vastly different exposure with vastly different sample sizes that returned generally the same results.

That's pretty consistent. 

A sample from an unrepresentative subset will only reflect the mood of the subset. It’s worthless as evidence for showing anything other than what the subset thinks.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

4,865 posts
712 battles
Just now, Spirit_of_76 said:

A sample from an unrepresentative subset will only reflect the mood of the subset. It’s worthless as evidence for showing anything other than what the subset thinks.

How exactly are WoWS-related sub-reddits and discords unrepresentative of the WoWS community when it is presumably WoWS players who are responding to the polls?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,338 posts
17,511 battles
Just now, ramp4ge said:

How exactly are WoWS-related sub-reddits and discords unrepresentative of the WoWS community when it is presumably WoWS players who are responding to the polls?

The players that engage in the forums are a small group, sub-reddits even smaller.

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
4 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

4 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

They don’t reflect the whole player base they only reflect the people that engage in forums and subreddits.

And to be perfectly frank it would be a perfectly reasonable position to oppose anything reddit favors and favor anything reddit opposes given that it is the flaming dumpster of opinion sites.

• Cool 2

4,865 posts
712 battles
Just now, Spirit_of_76 said:

They don’t reflect the whole player base they only reflect the people that engage in forums and subreddits.

A poll doesn't need to sample the entire playerbase to get a feel for the trends. That's not how polls work. You are likely to find the same proportion of Pro-CV voices as Anti-CV voices on the forum as you are in the game because there's nothing keeping one side or the other from coming to the forum and voicing their opinion.

Which is why on both of those polls, despite the vast difference in the number of respondents, the percentages of pro/anti CV respondents was pretty much the same..

• Thanks 1

4,865 posts
712 battles
8 minutes ago, paradat said:

The players that engage in the forums are a small group, sub-reddits even smaller.

+-8,500 respondents is not a "small group" when you consider that the game in general gets an average peak of about 7,500 logins at any one time...

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
3 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

A poll doesn't need to sample the entire playerbase to get a feel for the trends. That's not how polls work. You are likely to find the same proportion of Pro-CV voices as Anti-CV voices on the forum as you are in the game because there's nothing keeping one side or the other from coming to the forum and voicing their opinion.

Which is why on both of those polls, despite the vast difference in the number of respondents, the percentages of pro/anti CV respondents was pretty much the same..

2 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

+-8,500 respondents is not a "small group" when you consider that the game in general gets an average peak of about 7,500 logins at any one time...

You don’t understand how polling works.