Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Femennenly

The Explained Cost of Getting your 19pt Commander to 21 Points

60 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5,630
[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,265 posts
17,516 battles

I originally wrote this over on Reddit, but figured the information would be relevant to you guys over here and no one has done the complete breakdown beyond the FEXP conversion.

We all saw the dev blog (https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/107) this morning regarding the new commander skills and how it would take 1,200,000 exp points to get a commander from 19 points to the new max of 21 points.

There are a few ways of doing this, so I figured I'd break down the costs of what you'd be looking at to achieve this, per commander.


Easiest and most Expensive - Free EXP Conversion

  • Free EXP Converstion Rate: 25 EXP per 1 Doubloon
  • 1,200,000 / 25 = 48,000 Doubloons
  • 48,000 = $192 USD

Easiest and slightly less Expensive - Free EXP Conversion (Better Rate)

  • Free EXP Converstion Rate: 35 EXP per 1 Doubloon
  • 1,200,000 / 35 = 34,256 Doubloons
  • 34,256 = $137 USD

Medium Cost and Sacrifice - Utilizing Commander Sacrificing (Doubloons)

  • 10 Point Commander = 183,000 total EXP
  • 3 Point Commander = 8,000 total EXP

As per Dev Blog #70: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/70

  • 50% of experience earned at the cost of 150 experience per 1 doubloon.
  • 183,000 x 0.5 = 91,500 EXP per Exchange
  • 91,500 / 150 = 610 Doubloons per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 91,500 = 13.11 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 13)
  • 13 x 610 = 7,930 Doubloons
  • 7,930 Doubloons = $31.72 USD

Receive: 1,189,500 EXP

Cost: $31.72 USD, 13 x 10p Captains, 10,500 Existing FEXP


Biggest Sacrifice, No Monetary Cost - Utilizing Commander Sacrificing (Credits)

  • 10 Point Commander = 183,000 total EXP
  • 3 Point Commander = 8,000 total EXP

As per Dev Blog #70: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/70

  • 25% of experience earned at the cost of 1 experience per 25 Credits
  • 183,000 x 0.25 = 45,750 EXP per Exchange
  • 45,750 x 25 = 1,143,750 Credits per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 45,750 = 26.22 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 26)
  • 26 x 1,143,750 = 29,737,500 Credits

Receive: 1,189,500 EXP

Cost: 26 x 10p Captains, 29,737,500 Credits, 10,500 Existing FEXP


Bad Ideas - Buying 6pt Commanders and Exchanging with Credits

6 Point commander = 37,000 EXP (as per: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander)

  • 25% of experience earned at the cost of 1 experience per 25 Credits
  • 37,000 x 0.25 = 9,250 EXP per Exchange
  • 9,250 x 25 = 231,250 Credits per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 9,250 = 129.7 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 130)
  • 130 x (231,250 + 900,000) = 147,062,500 Credits (Small fix here, 6pt Capts cost 900k, not 600k https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0100/)

Don't do this.


Other things to note:

Dismissing 3p Captains:

  • Its nice to get something back for sacrificing the 3P commanders, but should not be your primary approach to gaining XP for grinding 21pt commanders. You will receive the following for the conversion:
    • 2,000 EXP for 50,000 Credits.
      • (300,000,000 credits and 600 3pt Captains for 1 19->21 Captain)
    • 4,000 EXP for ~26 Doubloons.

Play and have fun:

  • Don't worry about getting a 21pt Captain, play as you normally would and use your commander exp flags to naturally train up your Captains.
  • This guide is focused on players who are interested in getting a 21pt Captain asap.
Edited by Femennenly
  • Cool 17
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 19
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
735
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
887 posts
6,966 battles

Good post, just missing last cost option:

Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427
[-BCO-]
Members
1,175 posts
2,351 battles
3 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Good post, just missing last cost option:

Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink.

Well... if someone tastes dark humor.....this is a good one. Otherwise....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,409
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,308 posts
17,497 battles
6 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Good post, just missing last cost option:

Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink.

This ^^^^ just play. For your top commanders use prem ships to get multiple first win bonuses per day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
548 posts
26,218 battles

image.thumb.png.c99a769180c3c33dbd9b0ea90be2901a.png

to help WG line their pockets.  I can't help but to think WG is getting extremely desperate to force this "Skill Re-Bork" on us.  Have the number of longer term players decreased so much that this is some form of hail mary to extract as much money as possible?  Why the rush?  Is there something wrong with WG's bottom line?  Or are they planning something even more extreme???

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,630
[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,265 posts
17,516 battles
10 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Good post, just missing last cost option:

Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink.

Kinda goes without saying, but yes, I'll add that in to cover those without common sense. 

  • Cool 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[FF]
Members
375 posts
15,472 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

What's the point of this topic?  Is it to laugh at WG's absurdity or at those that might spend money maxing out their commanders?

To be honest, commanders are probably more versatile and important than ships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[BGA]
Members
67 posts
17,159 battles

So much hate for the people doing math.  No one wants to spend money, but knowing how much the options are just helps reinforce how much it would cost and a big no.

Make sure the hate is towards WG not the posters analyzing the costs.  I appreciate their effort and knowing.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,758
[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,673 battles
6 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

image.thumb.png.c99a769180c3c33dbd9b0ea90be2901a.png

to help WG line their pockets.  I can't help but to think WG is getting extremely desperate to force this "Skill Re-Bork" on us.  Have the number of longer term players decreased so much that this is some form of hail mary to extract as much money as possible?  Why the rush?  Is there something wrong with WG's bottom line?  Or are they planning something even more extreme???

Devs looking for something to do to justify their job. I mean why look at things like adding 3 marking or something like that when you can tick off the player base with a commander rework? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
909
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,154 posts
15,373 battles
22 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Good post, just missing last cost option:

Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink.

umm I hate math, glad others love it.. and thanks for this... so I sacrifice 26 10 commanders (that most of us do not have in any line, except maybe the Japanese line) and I get 1 Captain from 19 to 21.   Okay now the reality

of this is sinking in..........................................blub blub blub....................................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best answer in a hour of reading through posts is the winner: "Play and spend nothing. Everyone is going to be in the same boat so lets not overthink" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
632
[WOLF2]
Members
1,654 posts
11,789 battles

Well.... I'll probably take the "play for fun, don't spend anything" option.    I have nearly 2.4 million EXP, so that'll get two skippers to 21.    I'll try to build the FXP back up with the premium ships (separate class skills should be interesting) for first win bonus.

The semi-good news is that for the rest of the skippers, they'll earn something, which is better than nothing.    My current focus is grinding some of those neglected lines, with skippers ranging from 10 - 15 points.   At least they'll earn 5% exp.   Currently, they're earning nothing.

But they won't get any dubs or credits from me on this silly adventure.    Thanks for the write up, Fem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,795
[PVE]
Members
4,778 posts
21,093 battles
20 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

Kinda goes without saying, but yes, I'll add that in to cover those without common sense. 

I'm not sure I "see the common sense or what you mean by that....>?"  Would you please explain in simple DAT terms, please........ 

I'm having a "forrest through the trees moment..."   Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427
[-BCO-]
Members
1,175 posts
2,351 battles
38 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

I originally wrote this over on Reddit, but figured the information would be relevant to you guys over here and no one has done the complete breakdown beyond the FEXP conversion.

We all saw the dev blog (https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/107) this morning regarding the new commander skills and how it would take 1,200,000 exp points to get a commander from 19 points to the new max of 21 points.

There are a few ways of doing this, so I figured I'd break down the costs of what you'd be looking at to achieve this, per commander.


Easiest and most Expensive - Free EXP Conversion

  • Free EXP Converstion Rate: 25 EXP per 1 Doubloon
  • 1,200,000 / 25 = 48,000 Doubloons
  • 48,000 = $192 USD

Easiest and slightly less Expensive - Free EXP Conversion (Better Rate)

  • Free EXP Converstion Rate: 35 EXP per 1 Doubloon
  • 1,200,000 / 35 = 34,256 Doubloons
  • 34,256 = $137 USD

Medium Cost and Sacrifice - Utilizing Commander Sacrificing (Doubloons)

  • 10 Point Commander = 183,000 total EXP
  • 3 Point Commander = 8,000 total EXP

As per Dev Blog #70: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/70

  • 50% of experience earned at the cost of 150 experience per 1 doubloon.
  • 183,000 x 0.5 = 91,500 EXP per Exchange
  • 91,500 / 150 = 610 Doubloons per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 91,500 = 13.11 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 13)
  • 13 x 610 = 7,930 Doubloons
  • 7,930 Doubloons = $31.72 USD

Receive: 1,189,500 EXP

Cost: $31.72 USD, 13 x 10p Captains, 10,500 Existing FEXP


Biggest Sacrifice, No Monetary Cost - Utilizing Commander Sacrificing (Credits)

  • 10 Point Commander = 183,000 total EXP
  • 3 Point Commander = 8,000 total EXP

As per Dev Blog #70: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/70

  • 25% of experience earned at the cost of 1 experience per 25 Credits
  • 183,000 x 0.25 = 45,750 EXP per Exchange
  • 45,750 x 25 = 1,143,750 Credits per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 45,750 = 26.22 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 26)
  • 26 x 1,143,750 = 29,737,500 Credits

Receive: 1,189,500 EXP

Cost: 26 x 10p Captains, 29,737,500 Credits, 10,500 Existing FEXP


Bad Ideas - Buying 6pt Commanders and Exchanging with Credits

6 Point commander = 37,000 EXP (as per: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander)

  • 25% of experience earned at the cost of 1 experience per 25 Credits
  • 37,000 x 0.25 = 9,250 EXP per Exchange
  • 9,250 x 25 = 231,250 Credits per Exchange
  • 1,200,000 / 9,250 = 129.7 Commanders needed to be Exchanged (round to 130)
  • 130 x (231,250 + 900,000) = 147,062,500 Credits (Small fix here, 6pt Capts cost 900k, not 600k https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0100/)

Don't do this.


Other things to note:

Dismissing 3p Captains:

  • Its nice to get something back for sacrificing the 3P commanders, but should not be your primary approach to gaining XP for grinding 21pt commanders. You will receive the following for the conversion:
  • 2,000 EXP for 50,000 Credits.
  • (300,000,000 credits and 600 3pt Captains for 1 19->21 Captain)
  • 4,000 EXP for ~26 Doubloons.

Thank you (now twice) for doing this.  It should be a sticky.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,066
[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles
37 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

What's the point of this topic?  Is it to laugh at WG's absurdity or at those that might spend money maxing out their commanders?

Probably to give you an idea of what you're looking at.

I was going to save ECXP to convert at least one captain, but for another 450k over and above what we anticipated, I don't think I'll bother. I can't see playing a 19-pointer with a 21-point max being any different than playing a 16-pointer now. (which all my high-tier DD captains are, and I have no issues)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,216
[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Probably to give you an idea of what you're looking at.

I was going to save ECXP to convert at least one captain, but for another 450k over and above what we anticipated, I don't think I'll bother. I can't see playing a 19-pointer with a 21-point max being any different than playing a 16-pointer now. (which all my high-tier DD captains are, and I have no issues)

I have enough to make one 21pt commander, and see things in much the same way you do. It won't be a big deal to be less than maxed, I played lots of games that way before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SYN]
Members
1,403 posts
10,840 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Probably to give you an idea of what you're looking at.

I was going to save ECXP to convert at least one captain, but for another 450k over and above what we anticipated, I don't think I'll bother. I can't see playing a 19-pointer with a 21-point max being any different than playing a 16-pointer now. (which all my high-tier DD captains are, and I have no issues)

I am starting to come over to that POV.  All of my boats have "struggled" with a less than 19 point commander. 

I can get one to 21, and maybe a second to 20. I will likely put one to 21 so that I can try out the "max build" during the reset. If I don't get frustrated before the rework and respec my EU captain.  I can see value in trying out sub-max builds also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,630
[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,265 posts
17,516 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

What's the point of this topic?  Is it to laugh at WG's absurdity or at those that might spend money maxing out their commanders?

So that people who are considering how they can get their Captains from 19->21 understand the different options and the opportunity cost of each. I'm not advocating anyone do it any of these ways over the other, just letting people know the value of the different approaches. This is simply providing the various "costs" of achieving this through different methods. 

 


46 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I'm not sure I "see the common sense or what you mean by that....>?"  Would you please explain in simple DAT terms, please........ 

I'm having a "forrest through the trees moment..."   Thanks.

By common sense, in terms of: of course you don't have to use any of the approaches and can simply play and gradually gain the exp for the captain. I deemed that an obvious fact so I didn't originally include it in the write up. 

 


36 minutes ago, ajax123456 said:

Or go to a less greedy game - 1.2 (heard 1.5 ) million is an inexcusable cash grab

As with everything in F2P games, you're paying for the convenience of getting something early, that's all this is. 

Now if you could only get a 21p captain from paying, we'd have a different story on our hands, 

 


19 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I have enough to make one 21pt commander, and see things in much the same way you do. It won't be a big deal to be less than maxed, I played lots of games that way before. 

I'm in a similar boat, I have enough to get 6-7 21pts on day one by using my commander exp, I don't intend to spend extra to get more, but its just nice to know how much it would cost if I did want to explore the option. Knowledge is power and all, make informed choices with the information before proceeding. 

 

 


17 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Nice to see you again and thank you for this!

:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Femennenly
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,969
[GOB]
Members
2,480 posts
2 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

:Smile_hiding:

:Smile_veryhappy:  I totally understand.  I had the nerve to voice an opinion this morning...  It's kill the messenger day. :Smile_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,066
[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles
42 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I have enough to make one 21pt commander, and see things in much the same way you do. It won't be a big deal to be less than maxed, I played lots of games that way before. 

The tricky part is deciding which captain to make 21.

I'm leaning towards my KM BB captain, as I have Pommern and Agir, and no other nation has more than one high-tier premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,091
[GWG]
Members
7,282 posts
14,089 battles

Question:  Who would do this?

Answer:  Competitive players.  A new Ranked system is announced.  It sounds a little like Clan Battle type of a system - with levelled leagues.

Does a 21 point captain give you an edge over a 19 pointer ???   You bet it does.  And it will.
No competitive player is going to accept playing like crap for a couple months.

So yeah...  Money will be made.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×