You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

19 to 21 point commander jump figure confirmed: 1.2 million

256 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,447 posts
16,309 battles

Ouch! 

So as a rough guide, call it 3 million for a 21 pointer from scratch.

The silver lining is that Atlanta is going to get a 20% range buff baked in as soon as the AFT skill goes away. (Flint isn't as yet, probably because she has smoke to hide in; Smolensk likewise. Reading between the lines, Colbert sounds like she's going to be made more nimble as compensation. )

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/107 

Devblog forum post to discuss it in: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/231251-update-of-commander-skills-questions-and-answers/

• Thanks 4
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,447 posts
16,309 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah, well I don't own an Atlanta.

Fair enough, but there are enough people who do that the removal of the AFT skill has been one of the major discussion points around here.

[KWF]
Members
5,267 posts
6,659 battles

It's as if Lesta's balancing department wants to sap my will to return to the game during the holidays with the Ranked rework and the skill changes.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,166 posts
6,083 battles

Good lord. People were being far too conservative with the 700k XP. 

I hope everyone has like 20 million XP saved to even begin testing their builds properly. The money grab is on

Edited by WarStore
  • Cool 3

[CO-OP]
Members
1,858 posts
26,702 battles

Complete and utter twunderfuntlage, estimated 750k was bad enough 1.2 million is just Krackinfilling without lube!

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
11,196 posts
10,452 battles
6 minutes ago, WarStore said:

Good lord. People were being far too conservative with the 700k XP. 

I hope everyone has like 20 million XP saved to being testing their builds properly. The money grab is on

Well, I had only 3 captains.

I was hoping for 1 mil per.  

I need to stop underestimating WG.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,447 posts
16,309 battles
13 minutes ago, Efros said:

estimated 750k was bad enough 1.2 million is just Krackinfilling without lube!

Just last night, I was congratulating myself on how close to that 750k I was. :Smile_veryhappy:

16 minutes ago, WarStore said:

I hope everyone has like 20 million XP saved to being testing their builds properly.

They're making skill changes and module demounts free, and massively decreasing the cost of captain reassignment, for the whole of 0.10.0. Go read the blog article. 

31 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

1.2 million to go from 19 to 21 is quite disheartening.

It is, but the versatility of all captains is going to increase fourfold and any captain in any type will be able to retrain in a premium of any type in that nation. Anyone with premium ships is going to benefit, and the list of even mid tier coal ships just got bigger. It currently includes EU, UK, US, RU, France and Pan-Asia, and when you move up to the high tiers, Germany and Japan are also represented. Then there's Shinonome in one of the permanent campaigns if you prefer the mid tiers for Japan or don't want to pay coal for it. The only nation with a tech tree that currently doesn't have a resource ship/free in-game premium at all is Italy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that change in 2021.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 6

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

As I said in the dev thread: 

And then we get to the broadest screwjob in this change, the ludicrous and out-of-scale captain XP cost to go from 19 to 21 points on a commander.  Even when a build can be recreated in the new system, it's often going to cost 1 or 2 more captain points, making those 2 "extra" points each captain can eventually get a net wash or even net loss for many builds -- that is, despite what your FAQ claims, a 19 point commander under the new system WILL NOT be as effective as a 19 point captain under the old system.   Even if we buy this line the game is "about progression", there's no progression here, just a transparent effort to extend the grind and make the players put more time or money into get the same, or even less, out of the game.    One point two million captain XP to go from 19 to 21... not just the 750k that was projected based on the current exponential curve, but 1.2 million....  

Please don't insult us by claiming this is about making the game better or improving the player experience. 

• Cool 15
  • Thanks 3

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,146 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The silver lining is that Atlanta is going to get a 20% range buff baked in as soon as the AFT skill goes away. (Flint isn't as yet, probably because she has smoke to hide in; Smolensk likewise. Reading between the lines, Colbert sounds like she's going to be made more nimble as compensation. )

The issue with the Flint is that 11.3 km range w/o AFT is going to be a problem given how often T7 ships gets matched into T9 fights nowadays. Smoke does not help when you encounter 12 km radar cruisers. I'm not a fan of the 16.3 km play style for the Smolensk.

[PVE]
Members
4,837 posts
21,231 battles
27 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fair enough, but there are enough people who do that the removal of the AFT skill has been one of the major discussion points around here.

I own both and use both.

1.2 is a nightmare.  As I have said before, they want to change the economy and bankrupt established players........ 

It's take it or leave it time boys and girls....  I for one, will retire the game.  Just like two others that have followed this mature game de evolution to make more money for less effort.  So sad.  It was a good game.

Bottom Line:   We fight back by leaving their games and dis-recommending them.  What else is there>?  All of the "value" invested will sit there for as long as it takes for the game to fold or change.....

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,447 posts
16,309 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Please don't insult us by claiming this is about making the game better or improving the player experience. 

I would much prefer that things had stayed as they are - I had plans for 2021, and many of them have been upset.

However, now that it's upon us, I'm going to take a long hard look at this thing for every advantage and every benefit I can milk out of it. Being able to make even a trickle of ECXP even when I'm not playing my highest-rank captains is first on that list. Some of them I prefer to leave where they are; their place is not necessarily on the foremost ships in my grinds.

[COOP2]
Members
359 posts
9,241 battles

Getting a captain to 21 points, probably not going to happen for me.

Well, scratch that off the bucket list I guess :cap_old:

[--V--]
Members
1,466 posts
13,793 battles

1.2 million --- wow.

Couple that with the absolute @#% nuke on BB Secondaries,,,,,, yea,,,, may be the death knell for me.  WG insists on ruining the aspects of this game which are enjoyable.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would much prefer that things had stayed as they are - I had plans for 2021, and many of them have been upset.

However, now that it's upon us, I'm going to take a long hard look at this thing for every advantage and every benefit I can milk out of it. Being able to make even a trickle of ECXP even when I'm not playing my highest-rank captains is first on that list. Some of them I prefer to leave where they are; their place is not necessarily on the foremost ships in my grinds.

The advantages here are so small and fleeting that they cannot offset the negatives. 

At some point, looking for the bright side amounts to "well, I've lost one of my hands, now I only need to wash the other one!". 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 8

[CDOH]
Members
650 posts
7,679 battles

When this crapstorm comes.  I will just reset all my commanders. I will continue my break from the game which i do a couple times a year.  Hopefully this will all level itself by then. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,447 posts
16,309 battles
2 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

The Flint decision is a head scratcher, smoke or not.

They did say they were going to keep an eye on it and make changes if they felt it necessary, so I don't think that door is closed yet. I've been running mine since I got it with my US 19 pointer, who has none of the typical Flint-enhancing skills at all (i.e. no BFT, AFT, DE or IFHE) specifically to get used to the way things are going to be, but then again I openly got her for bot killing and I'm happy with the performance there. She does the job I got her to do.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles
59 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

1.2 million to go from 19 to 21 is quite disheartening.

Doesn't "fit" in any progression but it gives a target.

Still SUX!

[YORHA]
Members
5,203 posts
10,368 battles

So can I get by with only 7 21 point commanders?  Probably, but it means that a lot of ships I have will never get played and a lot less time spent in game.

Well done WG.  If your mission was to limit the amount of play time in your game...

GQV5TTR76YI6RFQBTHKUNPXYAY.jpg

And well all know how well that worked out.

Edited by JCC45
  • Meh 1

[G-4W]
Members
161 posts
6,468 battles

Ugh, 1.2m each? I only have two 19s but I’ve been grinding them each for EXP for a good bit to prepare for this, but only have 1.25m EXP total as of now. I was hoping I was at least somewhat approaching 50% needed for my second 19 but it turns out I’m only like 5% there. Damn. Maybe I’ll retrain my Montana 19 for Kansas and grind to Vermont or something, then put him back on Montana when I’m done. At least I’m kind of killing two birds with one stone without having to respec and not just grinding one ship over and over and over.