Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ericmopar

Coop not so fun anymore.

48 comments in this topic

[VN]
Members
247 posts
6,374 battles

I know the bots "cheat" to compete, but seeing ships like the Myoko thrash at 5km to avoid shells (yes shells, not trops) has gotten ridiculous and I'm sometimes finding myself in a Circle of Death with the exact same ship as mine, but the bot is gaining on me and turning tighter.
I'm also getting citadeled from all angles in my cruisers by bot BBs, from long ranges, but if I stumble on a bot cruiser at a near 90° angle to my BB's forward batteries, at medium to close ranges, the shells whether HE or AP do these really low rolls now. It's almost like some bots don't even have a citadel to hit...
The fun factor isn't there anymore.
The matches are much longer now, with bots running away and the rewards are lower. So what is the point?
I've finally started to look around Steam etc at other games, even though I used to love playing WoWS for over 2 years.

Edited by Ericmopar
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

[GWG]
Members
7,288 posts
14,089 battles

I died early in a Schcors with 98K damage.

Our last Cruiser was attacking the bot CV, hugging the line.
Bot Colorado just gave up the Green Cap and left our circle.
It launched a spotter...  I was going to shout out to the cruiser...   but ...  too late.

From 2/3 across the map, the red bot Colorado dev-struck our near full health cruiser with 4 hits out of 4 fired at extreme range....  deleted immediately.

The rest of my team carried, but it dragged on for 18 minutes.

So many times I've been just simply killed off in co-op battles by ships across the map - some surrounded by 4-5 of our own.  It's annoying..  but it's a game.

• Cool 1

Members
4 posts
201 battles

I think this is more of a GitGud situation, and I can't believe I am saying this for COOP,
And this does seem like a you problem. You think playing COOP is easy mode, it is, if you are not that ya know, pepega.

Fun fact, bots do actually know how to aim, they know how to dodge, and this is nothing new. It has always been like that since the start.
Clearly being a COOP main has its toll on you where you would assume everything is as easy as it may be. Stucked to COOP,  no learning involved.
And let me repeat once more, there isnt much or any changes at all to COOP. My earnings are still the same, my XP income is still the same, the BOTs are behaving as they were.

And yeah, I don't seem to understand. I am not a COOP main so I might not see and hear all this voices like you do in COOP

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 14

[WORX]
Members
11,949 posts
19,486 battles

Welcome to power creep... Its effects are inflicted on all game mods.. Not, just the ones we love to play or avoid..

From what I see in the DEV blog.. Power creep will continue for 2021 as well..

• Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
12,878 posts
26,925 battles
1 hour ago, HoChunHao said:

I think this is more of a GitGud situation, and I can't believe I am saying this for COOP,
And this does seem like a you problem. You think playing COOP is easy mode, it is, if you are not that ya know, pepega.

Fun fact, bots do actually know how to aim, they know how to dodge, and this is nothing new. It has always been like that since the start.
Clearly being a COOP main has its toll on you where you would assume everything is as easy as it may be. Stucked to COOP,  no learning involved.
And let me repeat once more, there isnt much or any changes at all to COOP. My earnings are still the same, my XP income is still the same, the BOTs are behaving as they were.

And yeah, I don't seem to understand. I am not a COOP main so I might not see and hear all this voices like you do in COOP

Edit:- COOP mains are now unhappy, I LARF in their general direction

Was a post like this really necessary? Why do you have to be insulting? IF you disagree with the OP fine but there is no need to post the way you did. Would you like it if you were upset about something and people "Larf'd" at you vs just disagreeing in a civil manner? Totally uncalled for and this post is what I have seen the Mod's call "non-constructive". Hopefully they remove your post. It's time this kind of thing stops.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 14
  • Meh 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,627 posts
6,371 battles

Bots have WASD and aiming hax since ages. It's nothing new.

No matter how easy or predictable the bots are, they still sure know how to aim well and sink you, if you're careless.

Maybe it's a burn out? Time for a little break, perhaps?

[PVE]
Members
12,878 posts
26,925 battles
3 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

I know the bots "cheat" to compete, but seeing ships like the Myoko thrash at 5km to avoid shells (yes shells, not trops) has gotten ridiculous and I'm sometimes finding myself in a Circle of Death with the exact same ship as mine, but the bot is gaining on me and turning tighter.
I'm also getting citadeled from all angles in my cruisers by bot BBs, from long ranges, but if I stumble on a bot cruiser at a near 90° angle to my BB's forward batteries, at medium to close ranges, the shells whether HE or AP do these really low rolls now. It's almost like some bots don't even have a citadel to hit...
The matches are much longer now, with bots running away and the rewards are lower. So what is the point?
I've finally started to look around Steam etc at other games, even though I used to love playing WoWS for over 2 years.

I feel your frustration with the bot cheats but they always have done this. I don't notice much change really although some (see below). Overpens (even of the citadel area :Smile_facepalm:) are a huge issue in the game overall not just Co-op.

I have noticed an uptick though in getting hammered by the bots at angles they should not be able to do so at like you talk of. Just Yesterday in Alabama I was bow on closing with a bot Richelieu (was about 10km off). I was angled really well against it yet when it fired at me it citadeled me multiple times in the cheek area similar to how you can Yamato. I was angled enough some of the shells went past me parallel and a couple ricocheted off but a few actually citadeled me. I lost 40% +/- of my HP from that one salvo. NO WAY I should have been citadeled even if it was Yamato shooting me at the angle I was approaching at never mind Richelieu's 380MM guns. Just NO! This has happened quite a bit lately (couple updates) where even angled in a BB you get hammered when it should not be possible.

Changes I have noticed are...

• the bots will really WASD like mad at times now (well DD and Cruisers). DD's when targeted will zig and zag like they are drunk sometimes. I don't mind this as it was one of the few good changes made way back when they did the improved bots they eventually took away. Making the bots better is a good thing as long as it doesn't go too far AND they get to keep all their cheats.
  • Another change I noticed, and it goes back to the time period/updates where changes were made to try and stop the Mercy Rule from kicking in so often (which has worked I might add - MR rarely happens now). A lot of the time you see 1 or 2 bots hanging back and not charging forward. They sail across the back of the map vs charging forward like the rest. It is usually BB's but now and then a Cruiser will do it too. Near the end when this happens they are almost always the ones left alive and when it is down to just them they will run for the other side of the map from where they are and you have to chase them down. It is like the old Chicken Bots we all hated during the "improved bots" update but instead of them all acting like this it is just 1 or 2. I don't mind it now as much because you only have to chase down 1 or 2 and it isn't every game. I "think" they did this to keep all the bots from rushing forward and dying so fast. It extends the time and keeps a few alive long enough to avoid the MR. I "think" this is what they did but intentional or not this happens a lot.

Overall, I still have fun with the game. The game isn't what will drive me away it is the decisions and actions of WG and the dumb stuff no one asked for or wants like the Capt Skill Rebork. The game itself, and Co-op specifically, I still enjoy even after 25K games. Sorry to hear you no longer enjoy it. IF that is the case try taking a break for a few months and come back and see if the time off helped. If not then it is time to move on.

:Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
648 posts
5,707 battles
3 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

I was having a run of massive suck recently. Either nothing on my side of the map to shoot at or sent to port with a low score. It got better. Thing to remember is, if all the bots are shooting at you then somebody else is having a great match. That comes around. 

• Cool 1

[VN]
Members
247 posts
6,374 battles
1 hour ago, HoChunHao said:

Edit:- COOP mains are now unhappy, I LARF in their general direction

Go away shill or reroll company boy with only 190 battles.
BTW troll, when someone like me complains about bots, I'm complaining about ships like Myoko making a 45 deg course change in 3 seconds and literally dodging shots they shouldn't and they do it all the time now. They do more than that as far as extreme manuevering.

Edited by Ericmopar
  • Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[VN]
Members
247 posts
6,374 battles
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have noticed an uptick though in getting hammered by the bots at angles they should not be able to do so at like you talk of. Just Yesterday in Alabama I was bow on closing with a bot Richelieu (was about 10km off). I was angled really well against it yet when it fired at me it citadeled me multiple times in the cheek area similar to how you can Yamato. I was angled enough some of the shells went past me parallel and a couple ricocheted off but a few actually citadeled me. I lost 40% +/- of my HP from that one salvo. NO WAY I should have been citadeled even if it was Yamato shooting me at the angle I was approaching at never mind Richelieu's 380MM guns. Just NO! This has happened quite a bit lately (couple updates) where even angled in a BB you get hammered when it should not be possible.

• the bots will really WASD like mad at times now (well DD and Cruisers). DD's when targeted will zig and zag like they are drunk sometimes. I don't mind this as it was one of the few good changes made way back when they did the improved bots they eventually took away. Making the bots better is a good thing as long as it doesn't go too far AND they get to keep all their cheats.
  • Another change I noticed, and it goes back to the time period/updates where changes were made to try and stop the Mercy Rule from kicking in so often (which has worked I might add - MR rarely happens now). A lot of the time you see 1 or 2 bots hanging back and not charging forward. They sail across the back of the map vs charging forward like the rest. It is usually BB's but now and then a Cruiser will do it too. Near the end when this happens they are almost always the ones left alive and when it is down to just them they will run for the other side of the map from where they are and you have to chase them down. It is like the old Chicken Bots we all hated during the "improved bots" update but instead of them all acting like this it is just 1 or 2. I don't mind it now as much because you only have to chase down 1 or 2 and it isn't every game. I "think" they did this to keep all the bots from rushing forward and dying so fast. It extends the time and keeps a few alive long enough to avoid the MR. I "think" this is what they did but intentional or not this happens a lot.

Overall, I still have fun with the game. The game isn't what will drive me away it is the decisions and actions of WG and the dumb stuff no one asked for or wants like the Capt Skill Rebork. The game itself, and Co-op specifically, I still enjoy even after 25K games. Sorry to hear you no longer enjoy it. IF that is the case try taking a break for a few months and come back and see if the time off helped. If not then it is time to move on.

Yeah the bots can be two tiers lower now and pen a BB two tier higher that is angled and pen at shallow 10 degree angles now. It's just made the games longer and that sucks.
I'm going to keep playing but I'm just not spending anymore. They've brought the dreaded WoT business model to our Pixel Ships and it will only get much worse.
Even the CCs are quitting WG products more and more often and going off to stream other games now and they are complaining about some of the same [edited].

Edited by Ericmopar
more info
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,816 posts
28,151 battles
24 minutes ago, Ericmopar said:

Go away shill or reroll company boy with only 190 battles.
BTW troll, when someone like me complains about bots, I'm complaining about ships like Myoko making a 45 deg course change in 3 seconds and literally dodging shots they shouldn't and they do it all the time now. They do more than that as far as extreme maneuvering.

Ever consider that many that Myoko didn't "dodge" the incoming shells, but that your ship just plain missed, whether by bad aim (your fault) or bad RNG (not your fault, of course)?  As the saying goes, ship happens.

• Cool 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
341 posts
10,356 battles

Bots have always cheated in some capacity. At times it is annoying but not really a deal breaker overall.

- DDs have to hand delivery their torpedoes with a pretty bow. Forget about preemptive torpedoes unless they reload quick like the German's.
- Bots know the type of ammo loaded in your barrel. This takes a little bit of practice but you can exploit their programming. Also unique commanders like Halsey are a godsend as the bots will have less time to react.
- All bots have built-in RPF
- Bots  ( mostly ) focus fire the lowest health target. Normally that would be DDs but since bots rarely use consumables a smoke screen might as well be a Romulan cloaking device. This makes playing cruisers a real hassle in Co-op as you need get enough damage in before the match ends without getting blapped by a BB bot one cap over.

Edited by Beleaf_

[COOP2]
Members
359 posts
9,207 battles
39 minutes ago, Beleaf_ said:

- DDs have to hand delivery their torpedoes with a pretty bow. Forget about preemptive torpedoes unless they reload quick like the German's.
- Bots know the type of ammo loaded in your barrel. This takes a little bit of practice but you can exploit their programming. Also unique commanders like Halsey are a godsend as the bots will have less time to react.
- Bots  ( mostly ) focus fire the lowest health target. Normally that would be DDs but since bots rarely use consumables a smoke screen might as well by a Romulan cloaking device. This makes playing cruisers a real hassle in Co-op as you need get enough damage in before the match ends without getting blapped by a BB bot one cap over.

• There are times when you catch the bots sailing straight but mostly they know as soon as the torpedoes are launched and start doing full turns long before they are in detection range. You have to basically get in the bot's face with your DD when you launch and even then sometimes...
  • I'll have to keep an eye out for how they react on that one
  • Even the planes do, ever notice how they zone right in on a destroyer at the start?
  • Kiting in a cruiser becomes a valuable skill, put yourself in a position so you aren't the closest and kite away at half throttle to stay in your comfortable firing rang eand they will tend to ignore you, just did this last night with Cleveland did 90k and never got shot at.

One other item I noticed is they have "priority target" too and seem to react to you targeting them with main guns by targeting you. If you have a DD and are sailing in to do a close in torpedo drive by, if your don't target them with your guns, or even target a different bot, there are times (if your health bar isn't too low I guess) were you can get closer in before they target you. Once you get close enough the algorithm then changes from "lowest % health target" to "closest target" but I know there are times I have been able to sail right into them before they targeted me and it was when I wasn't targeting/shooting them.

[VOP]
Members
886 posts
55 minutes ago, Ironshroud said:
  • There are times when you catch the bots sailing straight but mostly they know as soon as the torpedoes are launched and start doing full turns long before they are in detection range. You have to basically get in the bot's face with your DD when you launch and even then sometimes...
  • I'll have to keep an eye out for how they react on that one
  • Even the planes do, ever notice how they zone right in on a destroyer at the start?
  • Kiting in a cruiser becomes a valuable skill, put yourself in a position so you aren't the closest and kite away at half throttle to stay in your comfortable firing rang eand they will tend to ignore you, just did this last night with Cleveland did 90k and never got shot at.

One other item I noticed is they have "priority target" too and seem to react to you targeting them with main guns by targeting you. If you have a DD and are sailing in to do a close in torpedo drive by, if your don't target them with your guns, or even target a different bot, there are times (if your health bar isn't too low I guess) were you can get closer in before they target you. Once you get close enough the algorithm then changes from "lowest % health target" to "closest target" but I know there are times I have been able to sail right into them before they targeted me and it was when I wasn't targeting/shooting them.

Yep, I have had broadside bots dodge torps launched less than 2 km away, even a bot Iowa.

I had perfect broadside shots at close range completely bounce or break up many times.

I have seen bot BBs S turn with impossibly short rudder shift and completely dodge cross torping with 6 torpedoes on a side.

Perfectly broadside bots start angling a few second before the HE to AP switch finishes loading, then bounce everything even with a slight angle.

• Cool 2

Members
707 posts
11,912 battles
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

Yep, I have had broadside bots dodge torps launched less than 2 km away, even a bot Iowa.

I had perfect broadside shots at close range completely bounce or break up many times.

I have seen bot BBs S turn with impossibly short rudder shift and completely dodge cross torping with 6 torpedoes on a side.

Perfectly broadside bots start angling a few second before the HE to AP switch finishes loading, then bounce everything even with a slight angle.

I had a Kremlin make an absolutely beautiful full speed 90deg change of direction to dodge torps. I wasn't upset, I know they do it, I was just impressed! If that would have been a real ship the crew would be crushed by the shear g-force of that turn!

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
4,805 posts
21,154 battles
4 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I feel your frustration with the bot cheats but they always have done this. I don't notice much change really although some (see below). Overpens (even of the citadel area :Smile_facepalm:) are a huge issue in the game overall not just Co-op.

A correct observation.  The models were changed several months ago and I'd bet dollars to donuts that hit box registrations were "tweaked" and not reported.  I noticed the Yamato was acting weird as well.  This rebork is designed to also "reduce the accuracy of long range engagements, forcing the game closer and with less accuracy to speed the games up; and, at the same time, reduce player values......"   Like I have been saying a while now, this isn't the first game to run down the exact same mature game path.........  I could be wrong but, so far, everything I commented on these past several months is coming to fruition in 2021.   The one I've yet to see is the "Golden" consumables and skins I predicted for early 2021..........

I agree with your Assessment and comments above.....well said!!!   Now, what to do with what we've had forced on us????

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
398 posts
19,645 battles
33 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

A correct observation.  The models were changed several months ago and I'd bet dollars to donuts that hit box registrations were "tweaked" and not reported.  I noticed the Yamato was acting weird as well.  This rebork is designed to also "reduce the accuracy of long range engagements, forcing the game closer and with less accuracy to speed the games up; and, at the same time, reduce player values......"   Like I have been saying a while now, this isn't the first game to run down the exact same mature game path.........  I could be wrong but, so far, everything I commented on these past several months is coming to fruition in 2021.   The one I've yet to see is the "Golden" consumables and skins I predicted for early 2021..........

I agree with your Assessment and comments above.....well said!!!   Now, what to do with what we've had forced on us????

Interesting,  I don't know/remember if this was ever discussed on the forums.   But either this year or late 2019,   I recall after a patch that static forts in scenarios became difficult to hit from range.

They are the same exact size as before,  but noticeably more misses from range.  Like what you can hit has been shrunk.  It might be a very small thing in the grand scheme of a scenario, but definitely something that stood out a lot.

[PVE]
Members
4,805 posts
21,154 battles
1 hour ago, LabradorRetriever said:

Interesting,  I don't know/remember if this was ever discussed on the forums.   But either this year or late 2019,   I recall after a patch that static forts in scenarios became difficult to hit from range.

They are the same exact size as before,  but noticeably more misses from range.  Like what you can hit has been shrunk.  It might be a very small thing in the grand scheme of a scenario, but definitely something that stood out a lot.

I asked the CC's what really happened and they said that the models were "made more historically accurate and cleaner" and that was all they said.....   Subtle is the operative word.  

Example:  In another game, which, went down this exact road, they nerf'd all of the rapid fire projectile, energy and missile weapons designed for close and dangerous engagements, out-of-the-blue one update and no one could figure out what in the heck was the purpose of that>????  Perplexing...........then, several months later, their version of the Captain Rebork happened; and, the long range weapons were reduced to almost nothing...........which meant, that all players had left were...........drum roll........the short range weapons they nerf'd away from being deadly and effective............why?  To speed the game up at less value to the player !    AND, their version of the CPT Rebork (called in that game a "Skill Tree Change") massacred the player skill matrix by actually giving you more choices that gave you less value !!!  Read that again:  gave you more CPT skill choices that, in fact, gave you less value and abilities than you had before the change....  And example:  a OP/Meta mech I had, had a turning radius of 15 feet at max speed before the change.......really agile for a heavy mech......after the change, with a 100% investment in the new Agility matrix, the turning radius was 21 feet with 20% less speed.       Same here.   They give you all sorts of options now.........all of which will provide you less than what you started with at a greater cost....  We had a "model change" several months ago in this game and............something odd happened to my Yamato...........it lost agility and it's hit boxes got a lot squishier......hmmmmmm.  Now, the CPT Rebork.........deja vu all over again.         A great many other ships felt the same.  

Tin foil hat time.......maybe; but, having lived through this process more than once before, I doubt my observations are all that wrong......

• Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
2,305 posts
26,788 battles
7 hours ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

I was having a run of massive suck recently. Either nothing on my side of the map to shoot at or sent to port with a low score. It got better. Thing to remember is, if all the bots are shooting at you then somebody else is having a great match. That comes around. 

That isn't always the case.  I've had plenty of games where is was the first of several ships heading to a cap, and when the bots showed up I was the only one there.  The rest either hid behind terrain, or just plain ran away.  In several cases, they were later picked off one by one.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
648 posts
5,707 battles
1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

That isn't always the case.  I've had plenty of games where is was the first of several ships heading to a cap, and when the bots showed up I was the only one there.  The rest either hid behind terrain, or just plain ran away.  In several cases, they were later picked off one by one.

Hey, sometimes you're John Wayne and sometimes you're the party donut. <shrug>

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,427 posts
12,338 battles

its better than dealing with the crap that goes on in Randoms though

• Cool 6

[WPORT]
Members
64 posts
10,675 battles

On 12/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, HoChunHao said:
  On 12/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, HoChunHao said:

Edit:- COOP mains are now unhappy, I LARF in their general direction

@AdmiralThunder- ^^^^ This is pretty much standard on the English Asian server. Asian Fan boi's stroke their penne/ego by getting off belittling players with wolf warrior comments all the time.  Best to ignore them and only reply to those worth replying to. :Smile_honoring:

[WOLF9]
Members
4,671 posts

You can actually make them dance, by switching back and forth HE-AP-HE etc.   Drives me nuts, sometimes, lol.   Pure B.S.   They should NOT be reacting to your ammo changes before you even fire.

The ones that annoy me are that last bot left that gets itself stuck in the furthest, most inaccessable spot on the map.   You have to literally be in either one specific spot to shoot at them- or right on top of them.    Takes forever to get there, too usually.   The probability of this happening increases proportionally as the speed of your ship decreases.   (and that DD with 5 kills already that couldn't be any further away if it tried- always gets there first and kills it with point blank torps...)

TBH,  I'm GLAD the bot's torpedo dodging skills seem to be improving.   Something needs to happen to break the stranglehold DD's and torp cruisers have on the co-op meta.   It really shouldn't be so easy to sail right up to them with impunity, and not get your ship shot out from under you.  I mean come on- you're telling me a ship that can thread a salvo through the narrowest window to blap a spotted DD or Cruiser all the way across the map- can't blast a broadside ship under 4 km away??

I've experienced the AP LOLFAIL!!! too.   Salvos that should be ending- or at least hurting badly- their targets, overpen, no damage pen, or bounce. (on ships you darn well CAN pen with your guns at that range)  Citadel hits that aren't, etc.   It began when Wee Gee fooled around with AP many moons ago, and got worse when they made DD's immune to normal pens from BB guns.   AP performance vs all targets got borked, and it was never fixed properly.   Combine this with the usual Ha HA!! YOU SUCK!  RNG nonsense, and you have a recipe for $hit games, and major frustration.  

Some games it's so bad, you can count the number of pens your BB gets on one hand...  You fire, and watch your shells go everywhere BUT where you aimed them. (my "favorite" are the ones that drop way short on close range shots- or miss long, when you aimed at the waterline)  The ones that do actually hit, either do nothing, or hit some random spot- like the tip of the funnel- for consolation prize damage.   It's almost like the program decides whether or not you're going to have a good game before it starts...

Meanwhile, the AI can pen YOU from any angle.   THEIR salvos stick together in tight groups, like glue, and hit exactly where they were aimed.   And, of course, they have a near 100% chance of breaking something, or lighting you on fire.  

• Cool 3

[7AES]
Members
2,157 posts
33,377 battles
On 12/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, Beleaf_ said:

Bots have always cheated in some capacity. At times it is annoying but not really a deal breaker overall.

- Bots  ( mostly ) focus fire the lowest health target. Normally that would be DDs but since bots rarely use consumables a smoke screen might as well be a Romulan cloaking device. This makes playing cruisers a real hassle in Co-op as you need get enough damage in before the match ends without getting blapped by a BB bot one cap over.

They can control their turrets independently.

I was in binocular view the other day and saw a bot BB with the #1 forward, #2 starboard and #3 to port.

I'd like to be able to do that too.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this