You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Is The U.S. Line of BB's Godmode?

36 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
164 posts

So I have a lot of ships but my all time favorite line are the Japanese. For years I pretty much ignored the U.S. lines except the DM which I got a couple years ago but don't really play it much. I've always been intrigued by the U.S. line of BB's as I've seen some Tier 10 players do well in them but I never thought it could hold a candle to my Japanese counterparts like the Yamato.  One reason I thought this was because anytime I faced a Montana in my Yammy, I'd score citadel hits to their bow. So in my mind I was thinking the U.S. line was weak. 
Today I wanted to start completing the Five Epochs of The Navy Campaign and I needed to use some Tier 2-6 ships for the tasks at the beginning. I decided it' was a good time to grind down the U.S. line of BB's while I was doing this. I skipped to the New York and began. I go out and get 5 kills, Kraken Unleashed, High caliber, Confederate, shot down 12 planes, 5 citadels and I was like OMG are these U.S. ships really this powerful? Like am I just on a lucky streak or when I get to the Montana or Vermont am I gonna be owning the battlefield? 

Was I wrong all along and are the U.S. BB's really Godmode in the proper hands? Someone bring me down to reality lol. Are the other ships in the line even better than this one? I'm moving on to the New Mexico and shortly I'll have a big decision to make. Vermont or Montana? Wow, I am actually excited for a change as most times I'm usually bored of the game. 

USA1.jpg

USA2.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,840 battles

It's the fact that you now know the game well enough that you can kick [edited]against the less experienced...

...and USN battleships are well rounded killing machines.

[REVY]
Members
8,167 posts
6,118 battles
4 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Is The U.S. Line of BB's Godmode?

The answer is a hard no.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles
9 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

I'm moving on to the New Mexico and shortly I'll have a big decision to make. Vermont or Montana?

Take a look at how much you like Colorado and go off of that. If she is bearable for you when uptiered then you may injoy the new guys. Its generally agreed upon that Kansas and to a lesser extent Minnesota aren't the best boats, but there is no doubting a Vermont. The older line is still a rock solid option. NC, Iowa, and Monty are all fantastic beasts

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles

They're good, but you'll find yourself taking citadels from Yammies.  :fish_haloween:

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles

Short answer is no. But they're not bad (despite what a lot of people like to claim). You got lucky in NY. Though if you like it that bodes well as it's the worst of the lot (possible exception of Kansas). Slow (now all the way up to T10 if you want), not well armored, but hard-hitting guns. Or go up the fast line and get better armor and more speed (no I'm not sure how that works either) with still pretty good guns.

Definitely worth playing IMO. Just don't expect games like that all the time.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

They're good, but you'll find yourself taking citadels from Yammies.  :fish_haloween:

True, but that's a problem that plagues all ships except Germans.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,372 posts
22,212 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

So I have a lot of ships but my all time favorite line are the Japanese. For years I pretty much ignored the U.S. lines except the DM which I got a couple years ago but don't really play it much. I've always been intrigued by the U.S. line of BB's as I've seen some Tier 10 players do well in them but I never thought it could hold a candle to my Japanese counterparts like the Yamato.  One reason I thought this was because anytime I faced a Montana in my Yammy, I'd score citadel hits to their bow. So in my mind I was thinking the U.S. line was weak. 
Today I wanted to start completing the Five Epochs of The Navy Campaign and I needed to use some Tier 2-6 ships for the tasks at the beginning. I decided it' was a good time to grind down the U.S. line of BB's while I was doing this. I skipped to the New York and began. I go out and get 5 kills, Kraken Unleashed, High caliber, Confederate, shot down 12 planes, 5 citadels and I was like OMG are these U.S. ships really this powerful? Like am I just on a lucky streak or when I get to the Montana or Vermont am I gonna be owning the battlefield? 

Was I wrong all along and are the U.S. BB's really Godmode in the proper hands? Someone bring me down to reality lol. Are the other ships in the line even better than this one? I'm moving on to the New Mexico and shortly I'll have a big decision to make. Vermont or Montana? Wow, I am actually excited for a change as most times I'm usually bored of the game. 

USA1.jpg

USA2.jpg

Vermont's guns make your targets scream mommy.....

The Kansas and Wisconsin have been enjoyable. The fast line are more bow tanking 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,444 posts
12,402 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

Was I wrong all along and are the U.S. BB's really Godmode in the proper hands?

any ship is Godmode when in the right hands

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,323 posts
17,497 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's the fact that you now know the game well enough that you can kick [edited]against the less experienced...

...and USN battleships are well rounded killing machines.

Yeah this... give a good player good guns and well.....nothing else really matters.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,529 posts
14,836 battles
5 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

Ding, ding, ding, the worst ship in the game in the hands of a top player will kick butt while the best ship in the hands of a bad player will look like trash.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
638 posts
10,321 battles

Got the Mass yesterday and  have about ten battles completed.  I can see why they are removing her.  A dangerous ship. I burned a batch of coal and got the Georgia. These are the only Americans I have aside from the Texas.  Both are very good ships. Not to fearful of the rest. 

[V1LIN]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,375 posts
12,933 battles

US BBs hit HARD... when they hit

[SYN]
Members
15,884 posts
12,803 battles

lul wut???

Have you even tried the Russian BB line?

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles
5 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

HEEHEEHEE.jpeg.24a3d2755bda81ed9110be3bd7dd5290.jpeg

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
82 posts
4,171 battles

The there are 6 USN BBs you should be afraid of.  The Massachusetts, Georgia, Montana, Vermont,NC, and Ohio. Because they HIT hard in the hands of the right player. The rest of the USN BBs are Meh. 

Edited by Spooky39

[NGA-B]
Members
246 posts
14,179 battles

I wonder why they gave the new BB line such SLOW everything (Medium to Close range) and expect anything other then "You were lucky". Vermont's Torpedo protection is good, but for a lot of BB's especially Kansas, Minnesota and Vermont, you cant depend on support, so I (have to use Manual fire). Broadside is devastating if you get the opportunity, but geesh rough going. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,448 posts
16,309 battles
11 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

and shortly I'll have a big decision to make. Vermont or Montana?

Stick with the Colorado long enough to grind out both the North Carolina AND the Kansas, and you will know for sure whether you have the patience to proceed to the Vermont.

You need to bear in mind that the US battleships are currently in a pretty good place. There were some major defects early in their history, which have been extensively corrected along the way. Given that you have the Yamato, you are probably well aware either through first-hand experience or second-hand anecdote of how terrible the Izumo could be. Much the same is true of some of her American counterparts, so if players who've been here since Beta have nothing good to say about certain US battleships in which you are having a very good time, this is why.

[DMGS]
Members
86 posts
6,241 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

US BBS are pretty good.

‘Russian BBS are God mode.

No way, not with nerfs that they had. I’m grinding Vladivostok at the moment and it is pure pain at times.

US BBS are fine, though the faster split is arguably better.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles
10 hours ago, Firewalk said:

No way, not with nerfs that they had.

Nerfs??  What nerfs?  Spit it out.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,840 battles
14 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

‘Russian BBS are God mode.

Eh...only in certain situations.

If the enemy team allows me to play to the Soviet ships strengths? Then hell yeah...totally God mode. Knyaz Suvarov was that way...because no one at tier 3 really cares about getting onto flanks and the like.

But lots of people know about Izmail's weaknesses...for example.