You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Update of commander skills: questions and answers

210 comments in this topic

[FRR]
Members
820 posts

How much XP is needed to level up a commander from 19 to 21 skill points?

It will require 1,200,000 XP. 

Holy crap.

An additional 5% of Elite XP which will be earned by all commanders with less than the maximum amount of skill points will help in the process of leveling up.

Crumbs and more crumbs.

However, also thanks to your comments, we've decided to increase Atlanta's basic firing range by 20%, from 11.1 to 13.3 km with the release of 0.10.0, thereby "welding" the skill into the ship.

Okay.

In order to let you comfortably try out different builds during Update 0.10.0:

• Skills reset will be free;

• Demounting upgrades will also be free;

• The cost of commander retraining will be lowered by 90% — from 500 to 50 doubloons.

Besides, to let you further experiment with commander retraining:

Players with 8 Access Level of Service Record and higher will get 500 doubloons on the first login to the game during 0.10.0:

There will be 6 special combat missions in 0.10.0, one for each nation with more than one full tech tree branch. The reward for completing each mission is 100 doubloons.

Fair enough.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

Members
0 posts

1.2 million xp to go from 19 to 21??  Now it will take a total of 2.9 million xp to max out a commander. that's almost double. I guess that's okay for the professional gamers, but what about the rest of us? 

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,166 posts
10,528 battles

The range buff to Atlanta is a welcome change, but I can’t help but notice that it is not being applied to Flint. This is a mistake - the ability to pop smoke in no way makes up for the reduced range, especially in battles where radar is commonplace.

I’ve had Flint for more than a year and she’s been a fun ship to play, but I can’t recommend her to any player in this state, even for coal vs steel.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 8

Members
616 posts
4,388 battles

With this new change I feel sorry for the guys/gals updating the WIKI pages.  Gonna be some long nights dealing with all the mess this creates. Merry Christmas guys.  :cap_happy:

Oh, and since they aren't updating the Flint's range, that means I can skip buying that ship for now.  WG is making this easy for me.  Thanks for the buff to Atlanta, but does that cover the Atlanta B also?  That is a different ship and it is not mentioned in the Blog.  I guess we'll see.

Change of plans.  My plan was to buy premium time this Christmas, now instead I'm going to wait till this update drops, reset everything and take a nice long break.  You guys can deal with this mess, while I play something else I enjoy.  I won't need the premium time since I won't be playing.  I'll check back every 3 months or so and see how things are going.  Hopefully the builds will be sorted out by then, and I can learn from your mistakes without all the drama of build/rebuilding all my ship commander skills and modules.

Of course if it is like the Carrier *@#& then I might be too optimistic.  Since a lot of these new skills look to be nerfed into the ground (unless you play carriers), I foresee a lot of whiny threads in the future here.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[VORTX]
Members
468 posts
6,800 battles

Wow. 1.2 million. I guess that’s really the tid bit we’ve been waiting for. If the underlying goal is to break the XP captain economy and disable players from being able to “easily” build maxed out captains. This will do it. Disappointing. 

Members
16 posts
5,020 battles
13 minutes ago, Hukom said:

It will require 1,200,000 XP. 

Holy crap.

An additional 5% of Elite XP which will be earned by all commanders with less than the maximum amount of skill points will help in the process of leveling up.

Crumbs and more crumbs.

The XP concern is something I share, especially when one compares going from a 17, to 18, to 19 point captain. My guess is that 20 point is probably somewhere in the 400-600k range, and 21 will be 500-700k range.

The Elite XP... I really don't get why I've been seeing people complain about that part though. its 5% bonus Elite XP vs the 0% we have now. There's concerns, complaints perhaps, to be had of some skill changes. This is not one of them.  This is something that will be useful as players grind tech trees.

Members
616 posts
4,388 battles
7 minutes ago, ShiroiWolf said:

The XP concern is something I share, especially when one compares going from a 17, to 18, to 19 point captain. My guess is that 20 point is probably somewhere in the 400-600k range, and 21 will be 500-700k range.

The Elite XP... I really don't get why I've been seeing people complain about that part though. its 5% bonus Elite XP vs the 0% we have now. There's concerns, complaints perhaps, to be had of some skill changes. This is not one of them.  This is something that will be useful as players grind tech trees.

Basically because for most of us it amounts to nothing.  FTP players who play casually, a few games a day.  Amounts to nothing, just moved the bar for a maxed out captain so high we will never get there.  Thanks for nothing WG.

• Haha 1

Members
0 posts

It's pretty obvious what you are doing WG. You increase the cost of certain very good to have skills (priority target, adrenaline rush) by one point each then increase the number of possible points by 2. So now, for us to get back to the same gaming experience we are currently at, we need to grind an additional 1.2 million commander xp. You are hoping that a lot of us are too impatient and will spend money. It's a cash grab. Honestly, I love playing this game, but the way WG treats us like ATMs is really pissing me off. Seriously reconsidering my annual premium time purchase. It's about respect and I feel like WG has no respect for its customers.

• Cool 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
5,202 posts
6,659 battles

It will require 1,200,000 XP. Yes, it is a new stage of growth for commanders in our game: they get more simultaneous active skills, but it requires effort to unlock them all. This is the basis of our game - progression.

This isn't progression, this is a bar added for people to fill. Besides it's shown that many builds that required 19 points now need 21 under some of the changes on the skills. So the number of simultaneous active skills doesn't matter if they are weaker than the previous version.

I remember how the reasoning behind getting to the system we got now in place was to make the Commander skill grind more bearable and help players maxing out their Commanders; good to see that's taken back.

Regardless, for more precise and deep adjustments, we'll need data from the main server. After the release of 0.10.0, we'll watch player statistics and your feedback, and balance both skills and specific ships, if needed.

How long will this process take? I remember the CV rework requiring "6 months of adjustments, 8 months top", yet here we are.

Still, at least making a post on the subject is something.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
751 posts
13,975 battles

Does this mean that once a commander reaches the 21 points they will no longer receive the 5% Elite XP? @Hapa_Fodder

Members
0 posts

God I can't wait for someone else to come up with a comparable naval combat game.  I'll be gone faster than you can say "rebork"

Edited by mrieder79
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Meh 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
337 posts
10,320 battles

1.2 million is simply way too much

They can't even hide that its a cash grab now. If I don't flat out uninstall I'm definitely going to close my wallet. 

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,115 posts
10,350 battles
4 minutes ago, ArtfulNothing_ said:

Does this mean that once a commander reaches the 21 points they will no longer receive the 5% Elite XP? @Hapa_Fodder

Correct.  They receive 100%

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,246 posts
16,226 battles
Just now, ArtfulNothing_ said:

At that point it will be 100% conversion, the way it is for 19 pointers now.

30 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The range buff to Atlanta is a welcome change, but I can’t help but notice that it is not being applied to Flint. This is a mistake - the ability to pop smoke in no way makes up for the reduced range, especially in battles where radar is commonplace.

I’ve had Flint for more than a year and she’s a fun ship, but I can’t recommend her to any player in this state, even for coal vs steel.

Sort-of seconded? I got the Flint as a co-op bot killer, so her smoke WILL go a long way to mitigating the range problem, but I really do think she needs to have Atlanta's range buff applied to her.

I'm not at all happy with the massive jump in commander XP needed from 19 to 21 points, but at least now we have a number. Seriously, though, this is a piece of information we should have been given WEEKS ago. 

3 minutes ago, Beleaf_ said:

They can't even hide that its a cash grab now.

In what way is it a cash grab?

• Cool 2

[RVNHQ]
Members
337 posts
10,320 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hoping that people will buy doubloons to either reap more from their unused 10pt commanders or convert FXP.

[NVCTA]
[NVCTA]
Members
91 posts
6,245 battles

They are increasing the secondary range of other ships...interesting...

1.2 million EXP is way too much honestly. I wish they would also increased the 5%, maybe to 20-30%.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,246 posts
16,226 battles
2 minutes ago, Beleaf_ said:

Hoping that people will buy doubloons to either reap more from their unused 10pt commanders or convert FXP.

Prediction: there are going to be a lot of people who drain and discard their unemployed 10 point commanders like a spider working through husbands, only to find too late that they should have kept them, because they don't fully understand what this skill rework is all about. 

[KWF]
Members
5,202 posts
6,659 battles

Oh and forgot how this is a slap in the face for some of your more dedicated players, you know, the ones that have ground out multiple 19 point Commanders.

10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In my opinion by making the skill point requirement from 19 to 21 1.2 million, lots of players lose out on their ability to consistently farm ECXP in order to be able to do skill point resets, retrainings and such. A free way of being independent ECXP wise thanks to the snowball effect of 19 point Commanders will be much more difficult to attain, requiring loads more grinding. This in turn could lead to more doubloons spent for retraining, reliance on premium time for the XP bonus for example.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
751 posts
13,975 battles

Thanks for the replies. I sort of thought as much that it would be 100% at the 21 mark but I hadn't seen that written anywhere.  These changes do however make credits even more of a useless commodity. Nine hundred and ninety nine bazillion and nothing to spend them on LOL

[WOLFG]
Members
11,115 posts
10,350 battles
10 minutes ago, Beleaf_ said:

There ain't any hoping on WG's. part.  They know people will do this.

[CMFRT]
Modder
984 posts
2,391 battles

Ok... good youre increasing Atlanta's base range to its range with AFT. Thats good. But not applying that exact same change to Flint, a ship with 2 less turrets and an identical base range is bad. Its just dumb. Buff Flint's range to 13.3km aswell, because smoke in no way makes up for it with the prevalence of radar, especially the 12km variety that Russian ships get, and that Flint will regularly see. Also we need to look at the HE pen of USN 127s because man, Flint and Atlanta also got creamed by the IFHE changes.

Also your answer about super cruisers is hilariously bad. Theyre already super weak to being burned to the waterline... even with survivability builds now... removing that ability from them is just going to actively kill them off as a ship type.

• Cool 4

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You feigning ignorance is definitely laughable. And is easily pierced.

5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Of course. There's always the milking the players part of it.

• Cool 4

[WOLFG]
Members
11,115 posts
10,350 battles
Just now, Hukom said:

You feigning ignorance is definitely laughable. And is easily pierced.

Of course. There's always the milking the players part of it.

The part you quoted from me wasn't from me.