You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

New Ranked battles thoughts... Also, Cherry Blossum?

53 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
1,947 posts
12,546 battles

I'm quite surprised to it casually says "ranked battles won't be available at night." I would think they wouldn't want to interfere with Clan Battles, but it isn't like CB is every night... beyond that, it just limits who can have access to ranked now - of course depending on how they define "night" 

Also surprised that "all" players go back to Bronze after the ranked season ends (mentioned around 3:30) - I thought one of the points of this was to allow players to find opponents of a similar level more often and easily. 

Lastly, looks like steel rewards are much lower now, though if these things are happening regularly and quickly perhaps it'll add up around the same. Any other thoughts or feedback? PS... Don't shoot the messenger! ;)

BTW, here's the whole video - in case you missed the news: 

Also - Cherry Blossum returning? spotted around 5 min mark? 

cherry.thumb.JPG.e3f55eceb687d29a118288b3e1476f79.JPG

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 4

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
349 posts
5,636 battles

Cherry Blossom is the real news here. Rankeds suck, WG can't or is unwilling to make them tolerable.

• Cool 3

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,729 battles
9 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I'm quite surprised to it casually says "ranked battles won't be available at night." I would think they wouldn't want to interfere with Clan Battles, but it isn't like CB is every night... beyond that, it just limits who can have access to ranked now - of course depending on how they define "night" 

Also surprised that "all" players go back to Bronze after the ranked season ends (mentioned around 3:30) - I thought one of the points of this was to allow players to find opponents of a similar level more often and easily. 

Lastly, looks like steel rewards are much lower now, though if these things are happening regularly and quickly perhaps it'll add up around the same. Any other thoughts or feedback? PS... Don't shoot the messenger! ;)

They keep lowering the rewards of steel while keeping the prices high on steel ships. Steel ships need to be rotated into the research bureau and then to coal. Having the 5 tier 10s requirement ensures that the cost will be high for even obtaining access to the research bureau in the first place. This is the middle ground that was missing and I see that now. Allowing the community to choose which ships leave steel like one or two a year would be very nice. Steel is a cancer and it needs to be treated as such. Match the rewards from previous seasons I say at the very least for steel.

• Meh 1

[SVF]
Members
1,780 posts
2,335 battles
27 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Interesting.  However, I would hold off on getting excited.  We all know WG's general disdain/antipathy for Ops and the subsection of the playerbase they attract, so if Cherry Blossom's indeed returning expect it to be made much more difficult than it was and/or its economy being sledgehammered into oblivion.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
892 posts
7,009 battles

Why do we stop reading the article at a certain point? "Depends how they define night:"

Screenshot_20201215-110227.thumb.png.18e96340323c33b092ecc99e37c25845.png

Correction: didn't watch the video and they may haven't have said it there what night means, so apologies

Edited by Merc_R_Us

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles
24 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Interesting.  However, I would hold off on getting excited.  We all know WG's general disdain/antipathy for Ops and the subsection of the playerbase they attract, so if Cherry Blossom's indeed returning expect it to be made much more difficult than it was and/or its economy being sledgehammered into oblivion.

Some people always want to see the downside.

If they really are bringing it back, my interest is piqued. I have so many more Allied Tier 8 cruisers than I did when CB was removed, and some of them are still in acute need of grinding. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,350 posts
16,941 battles
1 hour ago, TheArc said:

:Smile_great:TYVM   giphy.gif

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles

I thought it was interesting that you could just keep repeating the Bronze league multiple times..... so.... Ranked seal clubbing going to be a thing?

[RST]
Members
565 posts
11,817 battles

Seeing Cherry Blossom in the background was also a highlight for me--glad I'm not the only one excited to see that.

Overall I'll reserved judgement on the restructure of ranked; I like many do enjoy the sprints more, in the end I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles
28 minutes ago, paradat said:

I thought it was interesting that you could just keep repeating the Bronze league multiple times..... so.... Ranked seal clubbing going to be a thing?

Hopefully the bigger rewards available at the higher levels every season will be enough to keep them climbing the ladder. 

[SVF]
Members
1,780 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Some people always want to see the downside.

And?  WG's ridiculous slowness in fixing past Ops they broke as well as their stated/implied disinterest in the mode as a whole is precedent enough to not have high expectations.  Don't know why you think otherwise. *shrug*

[NSEW]
Members
2,139 posts
11,458 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

I think there was a limit imposed on each league.  If memory serves, it said 8 times for Bronze league.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
2 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I think there was a limit imposed on each league.  If memory serves, it said 8 times for Bronze league.

Yeah limited seal clubbing. 

[QNA]
73 posts
11,896 battles
3 minutes ago, landcollector said:

And?  WG's ridiculous slowness in fixing past Ops they broke as well as their stated/implied disinterest in the mode as a whole is precedent enough to not have high expectations.  Don't know why you think otherwise. *shrug*

January 30th, 2019 - several Ops removed during the CV Rework. Raptor Rescue, Cherry Blossom, Hermes, Ultimate Frontier, and Dunkirk.

July 24th, 2019 - Raptor Rescue was "repaired" and returned to the rotation, although it remained a bug filled mess for another 6 months

December 15th, 2020 - they tease a possible return of Cherry Blossom.

January to July is a full 6 month delay to fix just one op, and from July 2019 to December is another 17 months just to tease it might be coming back but it still hasn't yet. If they were truly serious about fixing the ops, they had 5 missing ops, and if Raptor could be "repaired" in 6 months, they could have fixed 4 of them by now (we're almost to 23 entire months since Cherry was pulled in the first place). So we have a lot of good reasons to distrust Wargaming over this, based on simple facts and how little effort has been expended.

7,026 posts
27,715 battles

Ranked battle as competetiv, that's gone long ago. It's just randoms with more rewards. 

Jumping tiers will upset palyers who may bought a T8 to join ranked. 

From the time thingy, I work most of the time at night in EU, so there will not be a lot of time for me to play, even if I wanted.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles
49 minutes ago, landcollector said:

People have been asking for the return of some of the pulled ops for God knows how long, and now WG finally brings one back (maybe) and you STILL find something to complain about?

Would it be more satisfying to you if they simply removed them all? Would that be a more satisfying banquet for your sense of grievance?

Is there ANYTHING they can do within the bounds of reason to make you happy?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 3

[QNA]
73 posts
11,896 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

People have been asking for the return of some of the pulled ops for God knows how long, and now WG finally brings one back (maybe) and you STILL find something to complain about?

Would it be more satisfying to you if they simply removed them all? Would that be a more satisfying banquet for your sense of grievance?

Is there ANYTHING they can do within the bounds of reason to make you happy?

58 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

January 30th, 2019 - several Ops removed during the CV Rework. Raptor Rescue, Cherry Blossom, Hermes, Ultimate Frontier, and Dunkirk.

July 24th, 2019 - Raptor Rescue was "repaired" and returned to the rotation, although it remained a bug filled mess for another 6 months

December 15th, 2020 - they tease a possible return of Cherry Blossom.

January to July is a full 6 month delay to fix just one op, and from July 2019 to December is another 17 months just to tease it might be coming back but it still hasn't yet. If they were truly serious about fixing the ops, they had 5 missing ops, and if Raptor could be "repaired" in 6 months, they could have fixed 4 of them by now (we're almost to 23 entire months since Cherry was pulled in the first place). So we have a lot of good reasons to distrust Wargaming over this, based on simple facts and how little effort has been expended.

Wargaming's OWN actions are why people are upset. 6 months to fix the first one, and then absolutely NOTHING for the next 17 months, except mouthing off a few months back about how Ops weren't going to come back at all. If they'd followed the same timeline, people wouldn't be unhappy, because in the 24 months since the Ops were removed, we'd have gotten 3 of the missing 5 back and then #4 back within the next month.

It's called "show, not tell"... Wargaming has outright told us lie after lie, but shown very little effort about actually caring what PvE/Scenario players say or want.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,418 posts
12,298 battles

if Cherry Blossum is returning, that gives me hope that the others may follow, but seeing as WG openly admitted to not caring abut PvE or Operations with the "they arent a priority" tells me otherwise, im of the "ill believe it when i see it" mindset with WG nowadays because WG has proven themselves to be untrustworthy these past few years

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles
12 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

what PvE/Scenario players say or want.

You can say what you want all you like, but sometimes I think what you actually want is the return of XP and credit farming opportunities so broken they make the removal of the Missouri almost irrelevant. 

The last two permanent campaigns and the last temporary campaign that WG introduced have all had co-op pathways to completion (to the point where you can do EVERY task of Five Epochs in co-op if you want to),  and in the last few days they've quietly gone and given co-op players a pathway to complete the Yamamoto campaign (which was previously randoms only). The impending  temporary campaigns over Christmas are also PvE-compatible if the PTS was anything to go by. Since late 2018, Directives have given PvE a pathway to participation in major ship-obtaining events that was previously unprecedented. The issue of Co-op battles ending early on points was addressed and an acceptable fix was created. So don't you try to tell me that WG doesn't try to fix PvE issues.

As someone who's spent much of my time in-game over the past two years playing Co-op, my perception is that things in co-op have steadily been getting BETTER (for which high tier coal premiums, in part, be thanked), while the standard of randomly selected non-div teams in scenarios has become so much WORSE as to discourage me from playing them at all (and all the Hoperations people ever seemed to want to do was grind Narai over and over while I had Tier 6 ships I wanted to work on). 

It's completely unreasonable to greet the possible return of one of the previously pulled operations with "WG doesn't listen to PvE/Scenario players". You trash WG for having taken it away from you, and now that it's hinted at coming back you're going to trash them again in response to them returning it?

So what DO you actually want? 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[-BCO-]
Members
1,197 posts
2,369 battles
5 hours ago, TheArc said:

That's...interesting.VERY interesting.