You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Do CV drops involve RNG?

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Hey All

Question that came up when a friend was asking about returning to the game, -  I don't play CV's at all, so have no idea if this is common knowledge or not.

But

Does the reticle that CV's aim their bomb/rockets with, involve RNG , or is it more a "player skill" thing. Do all the bombs and rockets land inside the reticle? Or like gunnery is it possible to have an occasional drop where everything lands outside the reticle.

Thanks!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
4 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Does the reticle that CV's aim their bomb/rockets with, involve RNG , or is it more a "player skill" thing. Do all the bombs and rockets land inside the reticle? Or like gunnery is it possible to have an occasional drop where everything lands outside the reticle.

Thanks!

Yes they do. However, the aiming reticle is usually larger than the ship you are attacking now and there are many times that I have had it perfectly centered with only a sliver of green on each side of the ship and still have seen all my bombs go into the water.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles

As the other have stated, there is RNG in bombs and rockets but not torpedoes which hit or miss is all on your aim and the targets maneuvering.

[STURM]
Members
727 posts
6,006 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

As the other have stated, there is RNG in bombs and rockets but not torpedoes which hit or miss is all on your aim and the targets maneuvering.

I'm not even sure thats the case anymore. I've seen torpedo drops where two of the torps are right on top of each other, some where they are all clustered to the right or left, and some where they do seem to be equally distant from each other like they were before.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
15 minutes ago, Muninn77 said:

I'm not even sure thats the case anymore. I've seen torpedo drops where two of the torps are right on top of each other, some where they are all clustered to the right or left, and some where they do seem to be equally distant from each other like they were before.

There is some "RNG" in where the torps will drop within the green aiming reticle for sure; if its too wide then they stand the chance of going anywhere but where you want them to.

image.png.94965a6a398a68e2bf1f24db34f4c51d.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[CLUMP]
Members
1,181 posts
1,485 battles

Yes there is RNG in all three types of attack planes on CVs :Smile_hiding:  But RNG is most noticeable in DB planes :Smile_sceptic: Even torp planes you have RNG torps can be together when they land on the water or far apart seen a lot of times on the Kaga :Smile_child: Both rocket torp DB planes damage is rng also :Smile-angry: Example Kaga torp is 5k damage per plane yet sometimes I can land 3 torps only get 7k like how is that even possible  :fish_palm:

Edited by LastRemnant

[PT]
Members
971 posts
3,000 battles

Japanese dive bombers are notoriously reliant on RNG.. I dropped 3 bombs at perfect range on a stationary Freddy Der Grub the other day and all 3 missed.. 2m later drop 3 bombs on a frantically dodging light cruiser at high altitude, double citadel him...

Edited by LunchCutter
  • Funny 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,377 posts
13,055 battles
1 hour ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Hey All

Question that came up when a friend was asking about returning to the game, -  I don't play CV's at all, so have no idea if this is common knowledge or not.

But

Thanks!

All CV weapons involve some degree of RNG.

Rockets will land somewhere inside the aiming ellipse, usually in a rough horizontal line, with gaps in it. So taking rockets head on has a good chance of your ship landing in a gap.

Dive bombers are like battleship rounds with dispersion, with very low sigma's.

Level bombers drop bombs roughly in a line and there's some clumping,  They're probably the most reliable bombs, but they do the least damage individually.

Air dropped torpedoes have lanes of dispersion, The drop cone is divided into side by side lanes that each torpedo will travel in. Torpedoes can travel anywhere in the lanes, so it's not uncommon for two torps to be almost on top of each other, with another deviating to the other side of it's lane leaving large gaps between torpedoes. Very different from DD's and their perfectly spaced spreads.

• Thanks 1

[SLDS]
Members
118 posts
7,326 battles
1 hour ago, LastRemnant said:

Yes there is RNG in all three types of attack planes on CVs :Smile_hiding:  But RNG is most noticeable in DB planes :Smile_sceptic: Even torp planes you have RNG torps can be together when they land on the water or far apart seen a lot of times on the Kaga :Smile_child: Both rocket torp DB planes damage is rng also :Smile-angry: Example Kaga torp is 5k damage per plane yet sometimes I can land 3 torps only get 7k like how is that even possible  :fish_palm:

For the damage numbers you need to factor in torpedo protection. If you hit the torpedo belt with the torpedos then they do reduced damage according to the % of torpedo damage reduction that ship’s torpedo belt provides.

Edited by Shadow_Woof

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,377 posts
13,055 battles
18 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

There is no RNG in the actual damage done, and all aircraft launched weapons follow the same rules as their surface ship counter parts.

Citadels do 100% damage, Regular pens do 33% damage, overpens do 10% and non-pens do nothing.

Torps do full damage minus the TDS.

They're also susceptible to damage saturation like anything else.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Members
398 posts
7,266 battles
2 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Hey All

But

Thanks!

Bomb Yes  Torps and rockets NO 

Edited by 9TenSix2Eight

[CYNIC]
Members
2,878 posts
7,366 battles
3 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Hey All

But

Thanks!

If it were RNG, CVs would be playable.  There's actually intentional miss mechanics built into them where drops unexplainably land in the most remote part of the reticle.   Actual RNG  would be an upgrade. 

Edited by CV_Jeebies

[CYNIC]
Members
2,878 posts
7,366 battles
1 hour ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

Bomb Yes  Torps and rockets NO 

That's actually not true, the torps do in-fact have random spreads, as do rockets.  Torps will randomly spread, rockets will magically entirely miss.   The rocket miss mechanics is most visible on static targets. 

Edited by CV_Jeebies
  • Haha 1

Members
398 posts
7,266 battles
1 hour ago, CV_Jeebies said:

That's actually not true, the torps do in-fact have random spreads, as do rockets.  Torps will randomly spread, rockets will magically entirely miss.   The rocket miss mechanics is most visible on static targets. 

i never seen a magic rockets missed a target even with 2 Halland and a desmoines based on my experience and you think CV's are not playable yet? ah ok :cap_like: i believe you :cap_win:

Edited by 9TenSix2Eight

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts

Tiny Tims miss enough that I'm actually surprised when I land a hit on a DD. Mostly what I do when I see a DD is just fly in circles around it and keep it spotted in hopes that my team will shoot at it.

• Meh 1

[XXX]
Members
611 posts
1,555 battles
6 hours ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

i never seen a magic rockets missed a target even with 2 Halland and a desmoines based on my experience and you think CV's are not playable yet? ah ok :cap_like: i believe you :cap_win:

Yeah hard disagree..there have been times when I've launched rockets with the enemy ship just clip one half of the targetting circle and the rockets will sometimes go majority to one side or center of mass and completely miss OR the unfortunate bugger will somehow got a chunk of rockets. Nobody is saying they're unplayable. Seriously in the quoted post SHOW where he said they're unplayable or are you just being hyberbolic for the sake of "GRR CV BAD!" posting which isn't new and has very little to actually do with the discussion at hand.

The question is "is there RNG involved in CV drops" the answer is "yes, yes there is for all forms." It's most noticeable on Bombers because they nerfed HE and AP DBs accuracy some time ago to tend towards the outside of the circle more often (for HE bombs it was because they nerfed rocket planes and the US CVs and Kaga just switched to the DBs to deal with DDs instead so they nerfed the DBs because they were basically just bombing DDs out of the water in one or two passes). The least noticeable is Torps BUT you do see it, I've noticed a lot on the Kaga that sometimes torps will group tightly together and other times be more spread, occasionally you'll see a tight grouping of three and one errant one outside that group.

Members
1,974 posts
52 battles
11 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Does the reticle that CV's aim their bomb/rockets with, involve RNG , or is it more a "player skill" thing. Do all the bombs and rockets land inside the reticle?

All bombs and rockets land inside the reticle, where they land is up to RNG however they, like shells, have something akin to a "sigma" value. This is usually known as "accuracy bias".

Rockets generally prefer to land on the middle line of the reticle, dispersing more left and right rather than top or bottom due to the way the reticle is typically shaped. Some rockets however have a circular reticle where rocket dispersion is largely random. Rocket RNG is also dependent on the amount of ordinance you fire vs how large the reticle is. For example rocket planes equipped with Tiny Tim rockets are typically known to have terrible accuracy nowadays as they fire few rockets over a large area. Shokaku rocket planes meanwhile are known to be extremely accurate as they fire a good amount of rockets over a very small area.

German and US bombs with the exception of Midway have a 50/50 accuracy bias, meaning bombs are just as likely to land in the middle of the reticle as they are to disperse towards the edge. This is true RNG, no matter how you aim you need to pray for a hit if the target doesn't fill out your entire reticle.
IJN bombs have a 75/25 accuracy bias, meaning their bombs are more likely to land in the middle of the reticle rather than disperse towards the edge. You are therefore more likely to hit a target if you put it in the middle if it doesn't fill out your entire reticle. Do note that this however has been called into question since 0.9.9 where IJN DB accuracy has noticeably gotten worse.
Midway has 25/75 accuracy bias, meaning its bombs are more likely to disperse towards the edge rather than land in the middle. You are therefore more likely to hit a target if you aim off center if it doesn't fill out your entire reticle.

Torpedoes have had RNG introduced to them in 0.9.9. In general the outer two torpedoes on the edge can only ever roll as tight as previously or tighter, they cannot disperse further than their best accuracy value. Where the middle torps go is largely up to RNG, however they cannot cross paths with the torps next to them, meaning they always go straight but may leave some gaps. For wings that only drop two torps this means RNG can only ever roll in your favor, since, again, the outer two torps can only be as tight as on their best accuracy or tighter. For wings that drop more randomness increases somewhat with the middle torps being able to go anywhere inside the reticle as long as they do not cross paths with other torps.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Thanks all!

Friend wants to come back to the game and try them out but was wondering how RNG based the attacks were. As I spend most of my time whining about CV's and not playing them, had no idea what to tell him.

Excellent information here, I appreciate it!

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
270 posts
5,019 battles
On 12/14/2020 at 6:38 PM, Canadian_Reaper said:

Hey All

But

Thanks!

Now more than ever its RNG for sure!   Trops have general paths but sometimes they bunch up.  bombs pretty much go everywhere unless you are well aimed, even so you can expect a few to completely miss.  British bombs seem to land perfectly though.  Rockets are numerous but accurate. No set precision every time, just random hits in the aim reticle