You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hukom

No fuss Fusō

23 comments in this topic

[FRR]
Members
826 posts

Fusō is a battleship I've only played in Operations and Co-op before. I still play her in PVE most of the time, but I felt that need to try something different last weekend. I wanted to see what we can do together in the real world. That Winter Strands camo looks good on her too.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles

Fuso is a highlight ship of the IJN BB Line.  She has absolutely trash Sigma (1.5) and her armor is actually suspect in withstanding BB AP.  But she has 356mm x12 salvos with a fast reload (28 seconds, vs 34.2 of New Mexico) to make up for accuracy issues.  Unlike NM, AZ, WV'41 who are about 21kts, Fuso is a bit faster at 24.5kts.  Fuso's gunnery is so forgiving, a bunch of players have expressed dismay when they moved onto next tier Nagato and struggle with her despite Nagato having 410mm x8 main battery with 2.0 Sigma.

Fuso for most parts is unchanged since launch in 2015, yet she remains competitive for her tier.  There are some strong contenders in Tier VI Battleships:  Arizona, Warspite, West Virginia'41, Izmail, Normandie, and Fuso.

Fuso is the oldest among them, and she's an ancient Tech Tree BB.

New Mexico has been in the game as long as Fuso, both are the Tier VI Battleships at launch.  NM has never been competitive.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

New Mexico has been in the game as long as Fuso, both are the Tier VI Battleships at launch.  NM has never been competitive.

Actually the Fuso has been in the tree longer. In the early testing the US did not have BB's but had CV's and the Japanese had BB's but not CV's.

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Members
8,169 posts
6,118 battles

I think what helps the Fuso is that she has a lot of guns and run the length of her entire ship, which results in an almost balanced dispersion when the shells fall.  Ships with 12 guns concentrated in the front and back tend to have a wonky dispersion gap in the middle and could potentially save a doomed DD or CL.

91574ec19dc7c2f00f1a134303d9132f.jpg

[CLUMP]
Members
1,216 posts
1,531 battles

Seen a BB destroying a DD at point-blank range is satisfying  :Smile_popcorn:

cwCz0BS.jpg

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,450 posts
12,406 battles

i remember when Fuso had its stock hull, you had to be under fire for about 3-5km before you could even return fire, this was back before maximum visual range for your ship to the enemy was your ships max range

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,821 battles
9 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

i remember when Fuso had its stock hull, you had to be under fire for about 3-5km before you could even return fire, this was back before maximum visual range for your ship to the enemy was your ships max range

And MM was +/-3 as well, so you could be in said stock Fuso facing Iowas and Izumos.

I remember my final fight in Kawachi was against two Clevelands in a Tier VI match.  I took out one Cleveland and tanked/damaged the second enough that the Cleveland that came to support me was able to hold that flank afterwards.  The Fuso that was on our flank was AFK, leaving it to a Tier III BB and a cruiser to hold it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
25 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

cwCz0BS.jpg

It's payback because in low tiers, BB gunnery and secondaries are so bad that you can reliably torp rush them with Destroyers.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,221 posts
10,570 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We all love the "Fuso Shotgun."

Ehhh... I found Fuso disappointing after Kongo, and I found Nagato’s gunnery very comfortable.

:Smile_hiding:

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

I think what helps the Fuso is that she has a lot of guns and run the length of her entire ship, which results in an almost balanced dispersion when the shells fall.  Ships with 12 guns concentrated in the front and back tend to have a wonky dispersion gap in the middle and could potentially save a doomed DD or CL.

91574ec19dc7c2f00f1a134303d9132f.jpg

I wish I had the patience to build such a gorgeous model 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,178 posts
15,479 battles

Love the Fuso, but actually do better in the New Mexico...weird.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,382 posts
13,080 battles

Fuso is the king of exploding Pensacola's in the opening minutes of matches.

With all of her problems, there's something to be said for having an intercontinental shotgun.

• Cool 1

Members
227 posts
1,187 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

You could always throw your stimulus check at some model makers.

https://sdmodelmakers.com/naval-warship-models/battleship-models/

Cool website.  I lived in San Diego (based on the area code and the SD in the business name) for most of my life.  I would have loved to visit them.

Members
2,855 posts
9,197 battles

I love the Fuso. Iv'e had 540 games in her with a 19 point captain. She's fast and nimble for a BB and the guns are great. Thin on armor so you have to duck and weave.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
4 hours ago, Hukom said:

Fusō is a battleship I've only played in Operations and Co-op before. I still play her in PVE most of the time, but I felt that need to try something different last weekend. I wanted to see what we can do together in the real world. That Winter Strands camo looks good on her too.

Nicely done.  :cap_viking::cap_haloween::cap_tea:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
2 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Fuso is the king of exploding Pensacola's in the opening minutes of matches.

With all of her problems, there's something to be said for having an intercontinental shotgun.

Tier VI Ranked is an unfriendly place for Cruisers.  It's BB - DD Country.  Even old Tier VI Cleveland was chum in the water for Battleships once the DDs were dealt with.  I remember watching Molotovs thinking they can plink those Tier VI Battleships at range in Ranked, only to watch even them explode when they get hit eventually.

The only things stopping BBs are CVs and DDs in Tier VI.  The Cruisers there are not up to the task against the likes of Normandie, Izmail, Arizona, Fuso, Warspite, etc. once the DD screen is dealt with.  Once the DDs are gone, the BB gloves came off.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FRR]
Members
826 posts
22 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

Definitely satisfying!

18 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Nicely done.  :cap_viking::cap_haloween::cap_tea:

Thanks!

23 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Fuso is a highlight ship of the IJN BB Line.  She has absolutely trash Sigma (1.5) and her armor is actually suspect in withstanding BB AP.

Her accuracy is often wanting. I fire a full salvo at an unsuspecting enemy ship, RNG says leave 121 HP. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

I like Fuso in Operation:  Aegis.

Aiming Systems Mod-1, helps a little bit with the dispersion, and buffs the secondary battery by 5%

image_2020-12-15_154353.thumb.png.a2315a97f988774962814a565573e9c6.png

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
2 hours ago, Hukom said:

Her accuracy is often wanting. I fire a full salvo at an unsuspecting enemy ship, RNG says leave 121 HP.

Yes, which is why the 12 gun salvo and 28 seconds reload helps immensely.  Arizona and New Mexico have 12 gun salvos also.  NM has trash 1.5 Sigma and 34 something seconds reload.  Garbage.  AZ has an even worse 35 seconds reload, but has 1.8 Sigma for her 12 guns, which apparently keeps her as a strong ship in Tier VI after all this time.

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,699 battles

Fuso is still my "king of the BB's"   Her guns are the longest ranged in the tier but that not her strength.  She reasonably fast, manuver rather well for her length.  It's really the whole package with her.  Speed, gun range, gun reload, serviceable secondaries.   She was the best of the "Super Dreadnaughts" and IMHO only the advent of the "Fast Battleships" finally eclipsed her.  And of course carrier air effectively put all BB's into obsolescence.  In spite of the Iowa's serving past the end of the cold war they just were not that cost effective.  They became very specialized ships.   After WW-II the remaining BB's never had to face enemies that could effectively shoot back and the few deployments required a tremendous level of support to keep them safe.

But Fuso...helleva ship.  And an effective on in this game even when uptiered.