Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
rhulkb27

Short and simple answers to "what ship should I get" type posts

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Wiki Editor
275 posts
8,136 battles

Q: What coal ship should I buy?

A: Thunderer

Q: What coal ship should I buy if I already own Thunderer?

A: Georgia

Q: Is the Massachusetts worth buying/is it any good?

A: Yes

Q: Is the smalland worth 2 million fxp?

A: Yes

Q: Is Alaska worth 1 million fxp?

A: Yes

Q: Is Alaska worth the money?

A: Yes

Q: Is Georgia worth the money?

A: Yes

Q: Which one should I get Alaska or Smalland?

A: If you can get 2 million fxp before Smalland is removed, then Smalland, otherwise Alaska

Edited by rhulkb27
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,954
[ARGSY]
Members
31,039 posts
29,264 battles
10 minutes ago, rhulkb27 said:

Q: What coal ship should I buy?

A: Thunderer

Q: What coal ship should I buy if I already own Thunderer?

A: Georgia

One could make a case for reversing the priorities based on individual taste here, but it's very, VERY close and I am congratulating myself on having acquired both some time ago and not needing to choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,860
[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles

Working hard on getting the Smalland before its gone.  only 560k Free xp to goooooo.  Hoping that with the time ill have to play over the holidays plus all the holiday bonuses that Ill get it done. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wiki Editor
275 posts
8,136 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

One could make a case for reversing the priorities based on individual taste here, but it's very, VERY close and I am congratulating myself on having acquired both some time ago and not needing to choose.

There is no case. Thunderer is the most overpowered surface ship to ever be released in the game. If you don't get your hands on it while you still can you will heavily regret it.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326
[TFFOX]
Members
1,203 posts
7,947 battles
13 minutes ago, rhulkb27 said:

There is no case. Thunderer is the most overpowered surface ship to ever be released in the game. If you don't get your hands on it while you still can you will heavily regret it.

i'm grinding for thunderer rn. been finishing my dailies every day for the past few weeks. 145K to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,130 battles
Just now, rhulkb27 said:

There is no case. Thunderer is the most overpowered surface ship to ever be released in the game. If you don't get your hands on it while you still can you will heavily regret it.

If you play BBs a lot, then Thunderer is a great choice. Massachusetts is quite awesome too. Alaska is always paying for itself. Georgia is fun to play period. 

I am not that experienced with Smalland, but if you like that line of DDs and you are having fun, then that is up to you.

I think the real decision is really about what is fun for you in the long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,649
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,842 posts
30,530 battles
1 hour ago, rhulkb27 said:

There is no case. Thunderer is the most overpowered surface ship to ever be released in the game. If you don't get your hands on it while you still can you will heavily regret it.

A tier 10 BB with a free camo that gives a 50% reduction in service costs, is a no brainer. You can play Thunderer in co-op and not lose credits even when you have a crappy game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,208
[INTEL]
Members
3,599 posts
23,843 battles

Welp, I guess it's the end of those posts.

I'm going to be sad that I can no longer say, 'It depends'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,959
[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,326 posts
9,598 battles

I have 2,308,000 FXP as of last night. I have Alaska already. I am having a very hard time convincing myself to click the buy button on Smalland and blowing almost all of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,518 posts
4 hours ago, rhulkb27 said:

Q: What coal ship should I buy?

A: Thunderer

Q: What coal ship should I buy if I already own Thunderer?

A: Georgia

Q: Is the Massachusetts worth buying/is it any good?

A: Yes

Q: Is the smalland worth 2 million fxp?

A: Yes

Q: Is Alaska worth 1 million fxp?

A: Yes

Q: Is Alaska worth the money?

A: Yes

Q: Is Georgia worth the money?

A: Yes

Q: Which one should I get Alaska or Smalland?

A: If you can get 2 million fxp before Smalland is removed, then Smalland, otherwise Alaska

Seriously,

the  "make my ship choice for me" is the worst content on this board and reddit. Every ship has tons of reviews and videos about it , and  yet people want complete strangers to tell them what they will like the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
999
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,285 posts
19,635 battles
47 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I have 2,308,000 FXP as of last night. I have Alaska already. I am having a very hard time convincing myself to click the buy button on Smalland and blowing almost all of it.

Man I am right there with you... I have a bit more fxp, but what is coming that I would rather have??  A tasty Italian?  But I am seriously, about 85% moving in buying the Smalland... I do not have Friesland, but I think Smalland maybe a more useful ship, for CWs etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[O_O]
Members
7,892 posts
22,043 battles
27 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

the  "make my ship choice for me" is the worst content on this board and reddit. Every ship has tons of reviews and videos about it , and  yet people want complete strangers to tell them what they will like the most. 

I agree.

And, I am guilty.  I recently posted one of them, and even apologized for doing it.  But, there were a lot of doubloon ships to choose from, I only had a few days remaining to do it, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a ship I hadn't paid enough attention to.  As it turned out, the suggestions I got pretty much confirmed my initial impressions.  But, I appreciated the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts

OP is dead on the money. I ended up whaling JB, GA, and AK and spend resources on the rest. No buyers remorse whatsoever.

Edited by mrieder79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,649
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,842 posts
30,530 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

I agree.

And, I am guilty.  I recently posted one of them, and even apologized for doing it.  But, there were a lot of doubloon ships to choose from, I only had a few days remaining to do it, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a ship I hadn't paid enough attention to.  As it turned out, the suggestions I got pretty much confirmed my initial impressions.  But, I appreciated the input.

I don't see the harm in farming people's opinions on ships here in the forums. Most people have a pretty good idea of what they want but just want some encouragement before they blow their money or resources on it. You are right about bringing attention to ships that people may have missed. I was pretty clueless about the tier 9 Pommeran (?) German BB until someone mentioned it and I looked it up. I love the Tirpitz figured the Pom would be a good fit for me so went ahead and got it with my coupon. I find it as fun as the Tirpitz fighting the bots and never would have known about it other than someone mentioning it in a post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[FRFR]
Members
1,675 posts
42 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Seriously,

the  "make my ship choice for me" is the worst content on this board and reddit. Every ship has tons of reviews and videos about it , and  yet people want complete strangers to tell them what they will like the most. 

Ummm, I’m going to disagree.  The worst content on the forums are the “Ship X just wrecked me, so it needs to be nerfed” threads. Particularly when the offended poster goes on to insult everyone that disagrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,055
[WOLF7]
Members
1,378 posts
51 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Seriously,

the  "make my ship choice for me" is the worst content on this board and reddit. Every ship has tons of reviews and videos about it , and  yet people want complete strangers to tell them what they will like the most. 

Not quite. There are some "neglected" premiums that have very little in the way of reviews or their last review was from 3 or more years ago. So much has changed since then. Also, there is a GIGANTIC lack of detailed coverage of tech tree ships, especially written articles. Not everyone likes video reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,846
Members
878 posts
20 battles

If you're not a very good DD player I wouldn't be rushing off to buy Smaland.  It's a fantastic ship and I personally love it (I got it the day of release), however it does have a fairly high skill floor, meaning poor to average DD players are likely to struggle, and not enjoy it very much.

Massa is the exact opposite in this regard - it is particularly strong compared to other BB's in the hands of poor to average players.  It's short cooldown DCP mitigates positioning mistakes, it has extremely good secondaries, which means aiming (a key BB skill) is less important, it has a poorer sigma than its directly comparable ships making less well aimed salvos more likely to do some damage, and it has superb AA and an extremely effective torp belt to help players who struggle against CV's or who are less capable of general torp avoidance.  Good players can also do very well in the ship and find it fun of course, but will generally do better in ships with a better main battery, due to their higher skill at aiming, while also being able to minimise the relative weaknesses compared to Massa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[DIEBL]
Members
667 posts
8,782 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

I have 2,308,000 FXP as of last night. I have Alaska already. I am having a very hard time convincing myself to click the buy button on Smalland and blowing almost all of it.

I was the same, then I reminded myself that FXP is the easiest-to-acquire of these resources. Got it Only a few days ago and already well on my way back to 1mil

Edited by PhosphorusForFun
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[TNP66]
Members
269 posts
2,665 battles

I have no  interest in Thunderer or Georgia. I'm saving my coal in hopes more cruisers are added. Until then, going for Yoshino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,959
[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,326 posts
9,598 battles
1 hour ago, PhosphorusForFun said:

I was the same, then I reminded myself that FXP is the easiest-to-acquire of these resources. Got it Only a few days ago and already well on my way back to 1mil

Hmmm.  I've always found coal to be the easiest to acquire in the amount needed for a Tier IX or X ship.  That said, FXP has gotten a lot easier compared to how it was originally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[O_O]
Members
7,892 posts
22,043 battles
52 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Hmmm.  I've always found coal to be the easiest to acquire in the amount needed for a Tier IX or X ship.  That said, FXP has gotten a lot easier compared to how it was originally.

If you stack a top tier camo, signals, special flags, first win bonus, and premium time (I understand some players won't spring for premium time, no judgment here), you can rake in FXP quickly.  Like thousands per game, quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,959
[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,326 posts
9,598 battles
29 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

If you stack a top tier camo, signals, special flags, first win bonus, and premium time (I understand some players won't spring for premium time, no judgment here), you can rake in FXP quickly.  Like thousands per game, quickly.

Yes, but I'll run out of the dragon flags and best camos pretty quick.  I usually save those for when WG gives 100% or better bonus EXP on first wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[O_O]
Members
7,892 posts
22,043 battles
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Yes, but I'll run out of the dragon flags and best camos pretty quick.  I usually save those for when WG gives 100% or better bonus EXP on first wins.

And that is smart! 

Take advantage of holiday events that award those tasty camo.  Players love to hate on Santa Crates when they don't pay out shiny ships...but New Year's camo and Frosty Fir are darned beneficial!  Other event camo, such as WoWS Anniversary, also offer huge multipliers.  Those multipliers are crucial when stacking to produce massive Free XP gains.  I have all of the Free XP ships scheduled for removal, speed my way through Research Bureau resets, and still have FXP in reserve for whatever may come next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,959
[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,326 posts
9,598 battles
27 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

And that is smart! 

Take advantage of holiday events that award those tasty camo.  Players love to hate on Santa Crates when they don't pay out shiny ships...but New Year's camo and Frosty Fir are darned beneficial!  Other event camo, such as WoWS Anniversary, also offer huge multipliers.  Those multipliers are crucial when stacking to produce massive Free XP gains.  I have all of the Free XP ships scheduled for removal, speed my way through Research Bureau resets, and still have FXP in reserve for whatever may come next.

My stocks of premium time, camos and flags as of 12/14/2020.  I may be somewhat stingy, but I do use the bonus camos and some flags in every Tier VI+ random I play in:

121420stock.thumb.png.5e7f3cb45ed4627da2d500907880e1da.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×