shadowsrmine

Cartoons Anime or Otherwise That Were Canceled Too Soon

11 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,347 posts
16,933 battles

They were popular and in more than one case very well done but removed in some cases stupid reasons,First and foremost being Teen Titans(and replaced by something even many kids won't watch Teen Titans Go 🤢) Kimba the White Lion,8 Man,Reboot. Here are just a few of them,Tell me what you think and give some examples of what you wish hadn't been discontinued

• Haha 1

Members
3,876 posts
13,993 battles

I was fascinated by dinosaurs as a kid. Pretty normal. I loved this show, but it never really went anywhere. Dinosaucers (also enjoyed Denver the last Dinosaur)

Members
3,633 posts
42,202 battles

I would have a list of anime shows that were too short as in one season. Because there are so many gems out there sadly, some were promotional,  and had potential if they just made more seasons. 

Some of the most complex characters in anime are in one season series. Yet, we wanted more.

But I won't put my list here. 

Too controversial. Not everyone likes stuff made from Japan so I have been told. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,001 posts
5,814 battles

Interesting topic so I'll bite. An underrated anime which was unfortunately cancelled imho was Gundam X. Which stands as a reminder that even one of the longest running and prolific anime franchises isn't invincible.

To my understanding between 1991 and 1995, there was in no particular order: Victory Gundam, Gundam Wing, 08th MS Team, and G Gundam. Those were the big ones before taking into account various possible spinoffs, mangas, and all the model kits. I imagine that by 1996 when Gundam X came out the franchise had grown a bit stale, and the fanbase was suffering from burnout. Sadly X didn't get good ratings after so many Gundam shows back to back to back. The death knell came when it's timeslot was moved due to it's poor reception, which made things even worse.

Gundam X was unexpectedly cut 10 episodes short of its planned 49 episodes. If you ever watch it, the rushed ending is painfully obvious. It's a shame as it wasn't actually a garbage Gundam show like a certain Gundam Seed Destiny I can mention. Imho Gundam X is underrated and had a lot of wasted potential.

There's a lot of anime that don't get second or third seasons, which leave their story unfinished. Gundam X ar least is the only one I know which was outright cut short and axed.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,347 posts
16,933 battles
37 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I would have a list of anime shows that were too short as in one season. Because there are so many gems out there sadly, some were promotional,  and had potential if they just made more seasons. 

Some of the most complex characters in anime are in one season series. Yet, we wanted more.

Too controversial. Not everyone likes stuff made from Japan so I have been told. 

:Smile_great:Actually many of my favorites are from Japan just not all of them,Here's another one

and there were others as well

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,347 posts
16,933 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

:Smile_great:My favorites was and remains Naruto and Naruto Shippuddin

Screenshot_2020-12-14 naruto - Google Search.png

Screenshot_2020-12-14 naruto shippuden - Google Search.png

Alpha Tester
6,520 posts
3,306 battles
3 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

First and foremost being Teen Titans

Teen Titans didn't get cancelled too soon. It finished up all its major story arcs and even got a movie for its troubles. I'd say it ended in a decent place.

If you want a cartoon that REALLY got cancelled too soon, look no further than Spectacular Spider-Man, the greatest superhero TV show of all time (Yes, I think it was better than the DCAU. Fight me.)

As well, how can you possibly have a thread like this and NOT mention the king of all shows cancelled before their time? Yes it got a movie as well, but there was SO much more they could have done with it.

In all honesty, this show walked so The Mandalorian could fly.

• Funny 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,347 posts
16,933 battles
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Fight me.)

:Smile_great:Nope!  Too old for that:etc_swear:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,694 posts
24,985 battles

There was a mid-80s cartoon that came out in the US called "Galaxy Rangers."  Basically a space western + sci-fi + strong anime touches.  My favorite character was "Goose" who was essentially a Clint Eastwood styled character.  They even had robot horses for cryin' out loud!  They got spaceships, fast space travel, interplanetary travel, but they got robot horses!

The opening theme, and most especially the two different closing themes are very 80s.

The character designs, story are very "American" but you can still see anime / Japanese style flourishes, most especially in some of the space battles.  There's a reason for that.  A lot of the animation was done by a Japanese animation studio, Tokyo Movie Shinsha, who also did a number of other American cartoons like Inspector Gadget, The Real Ghostbusters, Bionic Six, etc .  Matter of fact, a number of the American cartoons some of you remember from back in the day were done by Japanese studios.  Some of you guys are like me and loved G.I.Joe cartoons in the mid 80s.  During 1983-86, Toei Animation worked on the animation.

I remember as a kid I tried my best to catch Galaxy Rangers but it was almost impossible.  It had awful airing time slots.  There were times it was on the afternoon on the weekday.  Sometimes the station would put it on at around 9am... On the weekdays!  The station would change its airing with no warning and it showed episodes in no order whatsoever.  I remember looking it up on the weekly TV guide, tune in on the right channel at the right time, and something else was airing.  The channel would show a commercial to promote the cartoon and give a day and time, but you tune in, it wasn't on.  It was frustrating.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway