You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

I hate these "which ship should I get" posts...(decision made)

31 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
6,893 posts
16,526 battles

So I am going to post one!  :Smile_facepalm:

Yeah, I know, and my apologies.

I have a doubloon coupon that expires in a few days.  My choices:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Roma
  4. Kii
  5. Gascogne
  6. Alabama
  7. Wichita
  8. Ochakov
  9. Pyotr Bagration
  10. Prinz Eugen
  11. Orkan
  12. Z-35

I play all ship types except CV (which is why there aren't any listed above), and I can easily scratch some of the above off, leaving me with this shortened list:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Pyotr Bagration
  4. Z-35

I have read LWM's reviews on the above and I am torn.  I am leaning toward a really short list of Lenin and Mainz.  But, then I start fretting about dismissing something else too quickly.

So, if you have read this far and don't mind responding to "which premium ship" requests...which would you recommend???  (And thanks!)

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,252 posts
16,575 battles
5 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Pyotr Bagration

nasty AP pen, you also pen bb if they not careful and let you lived long enough

:Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[VORTX]
Members
467 posts
6,778 battles

My preference would be Mainz. How did you got on with hipper? Do you like flames? Hunting DDs? Do you want a 6 second reload? It’s really fun ... like really fun. No heal :( 

I don’t have the other ships you listed. I’m not heavily experienced in DD’s so that’s out. Lenin is interesting but from what I’ve read feels very similar to Nelson. Nelson is a fantastic shiP but I find it boring. Pytor, I really like the Soviet cruisers but I don’t see a reason to snag this over the tech tree counterparts. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,194 posts

I don't have Lenin but know it's a very powerful BB ... being a Cruiser main, I love the Mainz ... it's a lot of fun to play and that's what I prioritize.  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,415 posts
12,296 battles

i would say Roma, but that new T9 Italian BB premium with the 16" guns carrying SAP looks promising

[TBW]
Members
10,720 posts
18,422 battles
22 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

So, if you have read this far and don't mind responding to "which premium ship" requests...which would you recommend???  (And thanks!)

Toss the short list into a hat and have one of your kids pick one.

[O_O]
Members
6,893 posts
16,526 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Toss the short list into a hat and have one of your kids pick one.

My kids are 31 and 25, successfully out of the house, and currently not easily accessible (one is stationed at Mother Navy in Norfolk, VA)!

• Haha 1

[TBW]
Members
10,720 posts
18,422 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

My kids are 31 and 25, successfully out of the house, and currently not easily accessible (one is stationed at Mother Navy in Norfolk, VA)!

Anyone sitting next to you? Got a dog? mark 4 treats and the one it eats first wins.

• Haha 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,403 posts
16,959 battles
27 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Roma
  4. Kii
  5. Gascogne
  6. Alabama
  7. Wichita
  8. Ochakov
  9. Pyotr Bagration
  10. Prinz Eugen
  11. Orkan
  12. Z-35

I play all ship types except CV (which is why there aren't any listed above), and I can easily scratch some of the above off, leaving me with this shortened list:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Pyotr Bagration
  4. Z-35

I have read LWM's reviews on the above and I am torn.  I am leaning toward a really short list of Lenin and Mainz.  But, then I start fretting about dismissing something else too quickly.

I've got the first three on your short list and I'd go:

1. Mainz

2. Pyotr Bagration

3. Lenin

I'm a cruiser main so Lenin would always be my last choice of the three.  Mainz is better in general than Bagration, although it depends on your playstyle.  You can't go wrong with either one.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
9 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Ok, a virtual hat then.... :Smile_trollface:

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

I have Lenin and Z-35 , both are very capable ships . I am much more of a DD player but you have to be good with Hydro smoke combo to make it work . I keep her in the 60%s but you have to rely on killing DDs with smoke hydro combo and hitting other ships with your great gun range because your Torp range is only 6km . Lenin has great fire retardant armor and unique damage control parties . I have multiple Z-35 videos on my Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 . 

[UN1]
Members
1,292 posts
4,040 battles
56 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Roma
  4. Kii
  5. Gascogne
  6. Alabama
  7. Wichita
  8. Ochakov
  9. Pyotr Bagration
  10. Prinz Eugen
  11. Orkan
  12. Z-35

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin
  3. Pyotr Bagration
  4. Z-35

Lenin is an unbelievably superb battleship.  Imho, it was incorrectly labelled as inferior to the Vladivostok upon release:

• It has about 10k fewer HP and 1.1km worse detection than the Vladivostok, but...
  • It has vastly superior firing angles on its turrets, which allow you to stay better angled, and use more of you guns.  Vladivostok is the one single Russian BB with poor firing angles.
  • It's also a premium, so its sigma hasn't been nerfed like the Vlad's has.

To sum it up, you can stay better angled and soak up enormous amount of damage.  Additionally, it has much greater workable fire power as you can consistently keep your three turrets on target while staying angled, unlike the Vladivostok.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles

Mainz is what happens when Hipper and Nurnberg got it on and had an offspring, to which they bequeathed even more torpedoes. Mainz burns all the things, and if you get in close she can torpedo all the things (I got her to kill bots with, at which she excels), BUT note that she is the love child of Hipper and Nurnberg, not Prinz Eugen and Nurnberg... so no heal. What damage you take, stays took.

Also, being a child of Hipper with the ABXY turret arrangement, there are no 360 degree rotators.

[WOLF1]
Members
117 posts
5,902 battles

Same boat as you, not sure what to get. Mainly a CA/BB guy, was leaning either Pyotr Bagration or Witchita (love US CAs).

Need to learn more on the Mainz

Also, how will the new captain skills effect these ships? Are there certain ones that will be more appealing, knowing the upcoming changes?

Members
6,187 posts
7,981 battles

I would have said Mainz, Eugen, or Wichita, but you eliminated two of those three off your short list. So I'd have to say Mainz is probably one of the more fun ships to play on your list.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

<snip>

If you don't play CV you won't like Lenin... can't tell you how easy she is to tear up with a CV, imo. 

[V_V_V]
Members
839 posts
16,390 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Mark your two kids as Lenin and Mainz.  First kid that calls you for Christmas is the ship you get.  Don't hold it against the other kid!

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

Put your top two choices in a hat. Pick one, with the intention of getting whichever one you pick. Judge your reaction upon seeing the one you picked. That will tell you which one you really want.

Members
7 posts
10,603 battles
4 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

i would say Roma, but that new T9 Italian BB premium with the 16" guns carrying SAP looks promising

Roma have  good  guns  but  have to  have  patience ,when  ships show  their  sides 

[WOLF4]
Members
394 posts
17,275 battles

2 cents and i play more cruisers mainz good reload  good pen not the toughest of cruisers, but not for the worst, and torps,,, but no heal.....german hydro      one thing  i do really like is the 2 quad set torps each side when situation presents themselves they are great  lutgens  can bring the loading down to 4 seconds after i think 140 hits  mainz has a nice tool box to work with

i have lutgens

dont know about pyotr  dont have it

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
7 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

1. Mainz
  2. Lenin

You got it right the first time. Lenin isn’t different enough from Vlad to justify a coupon even though it’s a good ship