You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

So... is Flint really worth 168,000 coal to get her before she moves into the coupon section?

39 comments in this topic

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

Pardon my bluntness, but in co op even with a zero point commander you can get results.

As for the pricing, I can buy one of Pommern, Georgia, Z-44, Marceau at roughly the same price with a coupon now. 

When Flint becomes available for coupons sure, but as is, pass.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[VORTX]
Members
869 posts
12,447 battles

Nice. I’m waiting until after the captain skill changes happen. I love my Atlanta but it’s such a hit or miss ship. But having smoke and better torps sounds really fun ...

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,131 battles

I don't think Flint is much to write home about anymore.  When it was first released, sure, but with the plethora of radar, hydro, and CVs on the high seas nowadays, she's lost her luster quite a bit.

If you want a camping smoke cruiser experience, better ones can be found.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
4,456 battles

Trying to remember the last time @Ensign_Cthulhu said not to buy a ship...

...I must be getting old.

Flint might be a cool ship for certain game modes, and to division with in randoms...but she aint what she used to be, which is why WG allows us plebs to have access to her now.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,196 posts
43,257 battles
1 hour ago, commando_brian said:

The Flint is very fun, I love playing her in Narai

58 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Now use her in Narai to get the full benefits.

Does Flint offer a significant bonus over Atlanta (i.e. smoke v. radar)?

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,291 battles
5 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

For some reason I can't seem to do great with Atlanta, I do much better with Flint, but my favorite in Narai is Boise and then Scharny.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
42 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I was thinking the Flint would be great for the smoke, but I'm gotten so used to playing with the Atlanta that I don't actually use the smoke.  The longer ranged torps have been nice though.  I rarely use the radar on Atlanta but when you want it its nice to have.  If I could switch out the Flint's smoke for radar I think I would, for Narai.  You have a little less DPM with Flint since it's short the wing turrets. 

Edited to add:

I was thinking about having the Atlanta, Atlanta B, Flint, (and Fiji) that I completely forget I have the Belfast for Narai.  It's funny that the Belfast is almost a turd compared to these other ships.  I also have Helena, Scharnhorst, and Boise which are good ships too, but I just can't play them all. 

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Thanks 1

[ABCD3]
Members
569 posts
22,643 battles

It's just a T10 Atlanta with smoke and the torp range is longer. The firing range, both are same.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,196 posts
43,257 battles
42 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

For some reason I can't seem to do great with Atlanta, I do much better with Flint, but my favorite in Narai is Boise and then Scharny.

5 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I was thinking the Flint would be great for the smoke, but I'm gotten so used to playing with the Atlanta that I don't actually use the smoke.  The longer ranged torps have been nice though.  I rarely use the radar on Atlanta but when you want it its nice to have.  If I could switch out the Flint's smoke for radar I think I would, for Narai.  You have a little less DPM with Flint since it's short the wing turrets. 

Thank you both for this.  I thinking that Atlanta would have the edge because of the extra rifles, but that smoke might add to the survivability of the Flint would significantly offset the loss of those extra guns.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,196 posts
43,257 battles
2 minutes ago, RickPatton said:

It's just a T10 Atlanta with smoke and the torp range is longer. The firing range, both are same.

Flint is t-7.

[ABCD3]
Members
569 posts
22,643 battles
Just now, HamptonRoads said:

Flint is t-7.

Opps! you are correct.   I was mixed up the the Salem.  Mahalo for the correction.   

[ARGSY]
Members
31,039 posts
29,264 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

As for the pricing, I can buy one of Pommern, Georgia, Z-44, Marceau

I have the Georgia, and I don't feel the need for the other three in the context of my fleet and the ships I already have.

I had over half a million coal to spend and nothing else I wanted to spend it on, so I grabbed Neustrashimy fast before anything silly could happen to her, Duke of York to avenge my failure in the 2017 Christmas campaign, and Flint as soon as I'd built up the extra coal.

2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

At other tiers, and/or with ships that are no longer available. (Belfast Prime is on the banned list, as are Kutuzov and Smolensk, and Belfast 43 is at Tier 8.)

With all due respect, I love my Smolensk but I don't always want to go to Tier 10 for that experience and I very much doubt I'll ever get the original Belfast. Flint fills Smolensk's role at Tier 7, where even the bots are less demanding to kill; and with a binational Ovechkin in my port who can potentially go in all three of Flint, Atlanta and Smolensk with equal ease, the possibilities are interesting. The skill rework threw a bit of a monkey wrench into that plan, but I've been preparing for it by driving the Atlanta without her assigned BFT/AFT captain and seeing how things change.

In my case, both Smolensk and Flint were obtained with the intention of using them almost exclusively in co-op as main battery hit/fire farmers and bot bullies. Neither can ever meet the other without faildivving, and so they operate in completely different MM niches. For the purpose for which I got them, they complement each other nicely; Atlanta fills in the gaps on the occasions I might want to bring radar.

[META_]
Members
1,963 posts
23,082 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I don't think Flint is much to write home about anymore.  When it was first released, sure, but with the plethora of radar, hydro, and CVs on the high seas nowadays, she's lost her luster quite a bit.

She is tier 7 , so yes she has to play safe when bottom tier but tiers 5,6,7 do not have much radar , I think she is still very strong . 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,039 posts
29,264 battles
2 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

but tiers 5,6,7 do not have much radar

...and bots (which are the context of discussion here) don't seem to use it at all.

(DISCLAIMER: I've heard co-op mains report being radared by red bots on rare occasions, but it has never yet happened to me.)

[B_Y_F]
Members
857 posts
19,357 battles
1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

IIRL Flint is basically an Atlanta with one less turret  but 4 km more torpedoe range(8km torp). And replace the radar with a smoke, they both have Def AA with unlimited charges. 

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,250 battles

Flint is great in Co-op "now" but once the Capt Skill Rebork hits it is going to be nerfed HARD with the loss of AFT and the range boost it got. Unless WG buffs the base range it will be a tough play even in Co-op with just 11.1km range. 13.3km WITH AFT can be tough never mind just 11km.

If I put the wrong Capt on it, one without AFT, it is very noticeable (same for Atlanta).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ARGSY]
Members
31,039 posts
29,264 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Flint is great in Co-op "now" but once the Capt Skill Rebork hits it is going to be nerfed HARD with the loss of AFT and the range boost it got.

I'm exclusively running my US 19 pointer in my Flint. No AFT, BFT, DE or IFHE on that captain. Those six kills in my OP screenshot include a battleship brawled with at close range and huge slabs of HP carved off with AP into the bow and stern. 

I'm getting ready for the new order, and the smoke is a MASSIVE compensation for the decreased range when compared to the Atlanta. Even the Atlanta is not that terrible once I adjusted my expectations. In Randoms I agree it's going to be crippling unless they buff the main gun range to some extent. In co-op I can adapt.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai has a vid or two on the Atlanta (in Randoms) in which he finds the silver lining and capitalizes on the shorter range to minimize his gun bloom. 

[HOP4S]
Members
6,983 posts
35,369 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hell yeah.

image.thumb.png.622a8ded0d067bcc262aac8f4c9999ef.png

No AFT, no Demolition Expert, no IFHE. 

image.thumb.png.aef1e699cb6f1bccb35a6399d40fe521.png

I've had the Flint for a long time with a 19 point CPT....  A Narai ship when my old clan would division that scenario.       I wouldn't buy a CL, no matter what CL, until the CPT Respec happens.....  But, collectors collect..........  I have the coal for two ships with coupons.....  The Thunderer and an unknown........  Any recommendations for the second ship?>

[CO-OP]
Members
5,196 posts
43,257 battles
44 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I've had the Flint for a long time with a 19 point CPT....  A Narai ship when my old clan would division that scenario.       I wouldn't buy a CL, no matter what CL, until the CPT Respec happens.....  But, collectors collect..........  I have the coal for two ships with coupons.....  The Thunderer and an unknown........  Any recommendations for the second ship?>

Pommern, if you like secondary builds (even better if you have Lutjens.)  Georgia if you prefer gun-ships.  Yoshino if you prefer torpedo ships.

[HOP4S]
Members
6,983 posts
35,369 battles
4 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Pommern, if you like secondary builds (even better if you have Lutjens.)  Georgia if you prefer gun-ships.  Yoshino if you prefer torpedo ships.

Thanks.  I have the Pom Pom and the Yoshino.  I looking at the Georgia but, there are other options as well....  I'm not a US ship fan.  Again, thanks.

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have the Georgia, and I don't feel the need for the other three in the context of my fleet and the ships I already have.

I had over half a million coal to spend and nothing else I wanted to spend it on, so I grabbed Neustrashimy fast before anything silly could happen to her, 

I mean, silly as in? I don't understand. Do you think Neustrashimy will be removed because it's broken or something of the sort?