Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RockstarScotty

Clan Championships - What Did I Learn?

6 comments in this topic

[D-DAY]
[D-DAY]
Members
31 posts
8,352 battles

I very much enjoyed the Clan Championships; thanks to WOWS and Verizon for putting this together!

So, what did I learn?

Since my clan failed to reach to top levels, one of our members had asked "What are we doing wrong?" I went into watching the battles on Twitch to see how the best of the best played, and I did indeed learn a few key points:

• Scouting is job #1!
    • 3 DD's minimum!
  • Speed and maneuverability are also huge.
  • BB's should NOT be part of the initial push; rather, they should lay back and hammer what has been spotted
  • CA's need to have radar UNLESS they are a special DD killer
  • Pairing a lead DD and a following radar CA is an effective tactic.
  • This is a chess match, NOT a brawl!
    • Blindly rushing in gets u cut off and killed, just like we often see in Randoms
  • These battles were fun to watch, and it was interesting to see how they could be swung by a critical mistake or a successful gambit. 
  • The announcing and commentary was enjoyable!

So, what did YOU learn?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Watching top play is painful.

Playing Chess. One slow move at a time. Eventually someone MESSES up and BOOM game lost.

During one particularly painfully game of concealment during a match hung on a few points a DD got too close to a radar CA and got lit up. 8 ships blapped DD and game won.

Reminds me of the Wilderness Battlefield Story etched in actual history. Both sides were very close to one another in a very bad land full of trees, bushes thickets and so forth. ALL QUIET. DONT make a sound to reveal yourself to the enemy you can hear breathing. About 12 to 16000 infantry within a square mile or two at most. One person assigned to gather water for canteens stopped and say "Does anyone know where I am supposed to go?" that was the signal to start the battle. The entire forest started shooting on that man and each other. It did not end for 7 more days.

If you are DD remember and memorize what ships have radar and distance of same. DO NOT use smoke screens either. That is just a billboard that says "HERE I AM SINK ME" I am actually able to do damage to DD's laying smoke at speed now. Just map the dynamic scope numbers to the advancing smoke circle center and add a few notches BOOM damaged DD.

We are just Mobs in Random and less than brain dead in coop compared to match play.

Clan Brawl is a even more mindless exercise. Club each other until its finished in 2 minutes. Good for teens who have not developed staying power with their lovers. //TEASE.... or are too impatient. A very bad format. Win and loss is meaningless. But it is good to harvest oh... 20 million credits in a few hours.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1

[HOP4S]
Members
6,995 posts
35,446 battles

That on small maps there are tactical exploits the maps themselves provide; and that, the team that does the due diligence into exploring the maps and force development matched to those exploits, wins.......

All eSports work this way...............unless, the host uses new and never played maps.  Then, watch what happens............real combat Leadership and real skill........because, neither side knows what to expect...>!

All you said ^^^^^ is true.

[HOLE]
Members
310 posts
2,456 battles
2 hours ago, RockstarScotty said:

I very much enjoyed the Clan Championships; thanks to WOWS and Verizon for putting this together!

So, what did I learn?

Since my clan failed to reach to top levels, one of our members had asked "What are we doing wrong?" I went into watching the battles on Twitch to see how the best of the best played, and I did indeed learn a few key points:

• Scouting is job #1!
    • 3 DD's minimum!
  • Speed and maneuverability are also huge.
  • BB's should NOT be part of the initial push; rather, they should lay back and hammer what has been spotted
  • CA's need to have radar UNLESS they are a special DD killer
  • Pairing a lead DD and a following radar CA is an effective tactic.
  • This is a chess match, NOT a brawl!
    • Blindly rushing in gets u cut off and killed, just like we often see in Randoms
  • These battles were fun to watch, and it was interesting to see how they could be swung by a critical mistake or a successful gambit. 
  • The announcing and commentary was enjoyable!

So, what did YOU learn?

I'm glad you enjoyed it but where is the real skill where you have o keep on the move and make good decisions for the win? Excluding ships and ships classes is far from a true competitive play. True skill to me is learning how to deal with what you are up against and no limits to how many ships of any class you choose. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,881 posts
22,335 battles

I learned that War Gaming doesn't want you talking about Crate Gate 2020 in front of their Verizon sponsors. 

Banned for 1d Oh Because a player-generated report found your in-game  comments extremely offensive, your account has been suspended CHAT LOG  "Macoroni and cheese just isn't that good" - iFunny :)