Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skimbleshanks

Soviet ship our ship came across on a '77 med cruise

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
16 posts
3,731 battles

If this interests you.

A picture from a shipmate that was taken when the W.S. Sims was near a Soviet training anchorage.
Trying to find out which ship it is right now.

I love it when folks start digging through their old pictures and slides and post them up for us to see.  Most of mine from the early 80's have faded a bit making it hard to identify just which "bad guys" we were sailing around with.

130569943_10218734520733692_3287503658703571588_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qfWpsz4jxhsAX9-uMtq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=a29a7c916619b68d8f4aa58c744a922f&oe=5FF97AB1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,724
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
16 minutes ago, Skimbleshanks said:

If this interests you.

A picture from a shipmate that was taken when the W.S. Sims was near a Soviet training anchorage.
Trying to find out which ship it is right now.

I love it when folks start digging through their old pictures and slides and post them up for us to see.  Most of mine from the early 80's have faded a bit making it hard to identify just which "bad guys" we were sailing around with.

130569943_10218734520733692_3287503658703571588_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qfWpsz4jxhsAX9-uMtq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=a29a7c916619b68d8f4aa58c744a922f&oe=5FF97AB1

Thanks for sharing, @Skimbleshanks, the rail-ship cat.  :-)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,638
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,604 posts
4,223 battles
6 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Sverdlov-class CL...

Yup, though I haven't been able to find any site that lists numbers for USSR warships so don't know which one.

And damn, you weren't kidding about the "near" part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
413
[WOLF7]
Members
585 posts
2 hours ago, Skimbleshanks said:

If this interests you.

A picture from a shipmate that was taken when the W.S. Sims was near a Soviet training anchorage.
Trying to find out which ship it is right now.

I love it when folks start digging through their old pictures and slides and post them up for us to see.  Most of mine from the early 80's have faded a bit making it hard to identify just which "bad guys" we were sailing around with.

130569943_10218734520733692_3287503658703571588_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qfWpsz4jxhsAX9-uMtq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=a29a7c916619b68d8f4aa58c744a922f&oe=5FF97AB1

Interesting photo. From what I can tell, if the ID number on the hull is "855", which it looks like to me, that should be the Sverdlov class cruiser "Dzerzhinskiy" if the photo is from 1977. Do some digging and see if that matches up with what you find out and let us know. Soviet ships switched hull/pennant numbers around, so if the year is not 1977, it may not be "Dzerzhinskiy".

Edited by HamAndCheez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,347
[O_O]
Members
6,917 posts
16,596 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

And damn, you weren't kidding about the "near" part.

A common antagonistic tactic used by the Soviets/Russians and Chinese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
413
[WOLF7]
Members
585 posts
26 minutes ago, Skimbleshanks said:

I will probably dig around a bit more tomorrow.  I have a headache that is disturbing my focus.  He also posted this one.

131442545_10218734520853695_1300434366941686175_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=fBbXxkeYNKsAX8waKfa&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=969965bede4f065a78b44352e0cb1b17&oe=5FFA22C6

Possibly Nanuchka class missile corvette "Burya", if photo is also from 1977.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[TWE]
Beta Testers
215 posts
1,542 battles

I have a friend who served on Sampson around that time. Wonder if the two ships operated in the same squadron? Or, then again they probably didn't mix the DDGs and the FFGs together much? I will show him these pictures though, see if he still recognizes the ships. Thanks for sharing @Skimbleshanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16 posts
3,731 battles

Sampson was based out of Mayport as well.  We crossed paths with her as well as the Tattnall from time to time.  I believe she was over there when we pulled into Rota to pick up supplies, etc and got sent right back out because of the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut.  Quickest inchop I was a part of as we were sent directly to those waters.

So one day, not related to the above, we were steaming around the eastern med and some destroyer sized Soviet ship came up.  Close enough for us to begin waving at the sailors aft.  After a while we got some of them to start waving back and this continued until some officer showed up on their fantail.  They stopped and got back to work.  So of course we mooned the officer.  I think the enlisted, conscripted whatever got it as they started waving back after that person left the fantail.  Unfortunately i waited to go for my camera until after all that nonsense and missed a good shot of the ship.  Only ones I got is of it are about 2000 yards away but another smaller one came by after that while we were still working on the launcher.  This is that ship.  Looks like I used my crappy 110 camera that day instead of the 35mm I would take on shore.  Hull number is 347
 

small soviet ship 2.jpeg.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[TFFOX]
Members
986 posts
2,199 battles
23 hours ago, Skimbleshanks said:

If this interests you.

A picture from a shipmate that was taken when the W.S. Sims was near a Soviet training anchorage.
Trying to find out which ship it is right now.

I love it when folks start digging through their old pictures and slides and post them up for us to see.  Most of mine from the early 80's have faded a bit making it hard to identify just which "bad guys" we were sailing around with.

130569943_10218734520733692_3287503658703571588_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qfWpsz4jxhsAX9-uMtq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=a29a7c916619b68d8f4aa58c744a922f&oe=5FF97AB1

Dug through wikipedia and here's the list of possibles i came up with:

Sverdlov

Zhdanov

Admiral Ushakov

Aleksandr Suvorov

Admiral Senyavin

Dmitry Pozharsky

Aleksandr Nevsky (is this ship the one in WoWS?)

Admiral Lazarev

Mikhail Kutuzov ("rare" ship, is in-game)

Oktyabrskya Revolutsiya (ex-Molotovsk)

Murmansk

 

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,049
[WOLFG]
Members
11,207 posts
10,466 battles
3 hours ago, Skimbleshanks said:

Sampson was based out of Mayport as well.  We crossed paths with her as well as the Tattnall from time to time.  I believe she was over there when we pulled into Rota to pick up supplies, etc and got sent right back out because of the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut.  Quickest inchop I was a part of as we were sent directly to those waters.

So one day, not related to the above, we were steaming around the eastern med and some destroyer sized Soviet ship came up.  Close enough for us to begin waving at the sailors aft.  After a while we got some of them to start waving back and this continued until some officer showed up on their fantail.  They stopped and got back to work.  So of course we mooned the officer.  I think the enlisted, conscripted whatever got it as they started waving back after that person left the fantail.  Unfortunately i waited to go for my camera until after all that nonsense and missed a good shot of the ship.  Only ones I got is of it are about 2000 yards away but another smaller one came by after that while we were still working on the launcher.  This is that ship.  Looks like I used my crappy 110 camera that day instead of the 35mm I would take on shore.  Hull number is 347
 

small soviet ship 2.jpeg.jpeg

Maybe a Natya class minesweeper?

Image result for Natya class minesweeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
413
[WOLF7]
Members
585 posts
2 hours ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

Dug through wikipedia and here's the list of possibles i came up with:

Sverdlov

Zhdanov

Admiral Ushakov

Aleksandr Suvorov

Admiral Senyavin

Dmitry Pozharsky

Aleksandr Nevsky (is this ship the one in WoWS?)

Admiral Lazarev

Mikhail Kutuzov ("rare" ship, is in-game)

Oktyabrskya Revolutsiya (ex-Molotovsk)

Murmansk

 

Hope this helps!

If it is in the Med in 1977, it's Dzerzhinskiy. 

99.5% sure of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×