Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Ohio Sec Build

12 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,102 posts
6,072 battles

The name says it all, I got to Ohio and now I need to know what the IDEAL USN BB secondary build is these days. 

Thank you in advance. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,162 posts
10,522 battles
19 minutes ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

Don't US BBs have a slightly reduced chance of catching fire?

No. Outside of signals, skills, and modules fire resistance is solely determined by class, tier, and hull (A vs. B, etc). 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,731 posts
5,379 battles

why would concealment bb's bug you. It gives them a little more time to close with the enemy before getting blapped.

Alpha Tester
543 posts
11,078 battles
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

why would concealment bb's bug you. It gives them a little more time to close with the enemy before getting blapped.

That means my guns are not firing, and my support ships are taking additional fire that would otherwise be hitting my heavy armor.

Just my thoughts.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,252 posts
9,617 battles
38 minutes ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

That means my guns are not firing, and my support ships are taking additional fire that would otherwise be hitting my heavy armor.

Just my thoughts.

To be fair, your support ships might be taking that additional fire regardless, especially if they're squishier and/or closer and/or have radar.

If you're closer than your support, being seen early might mean that you're getting set on fire, which is less of a concern for your support ships, being farther away and more agile, with less worry about fire due to shorter burn time and friendlier DC cooldown.

Certainly a YMMV situation though.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,735 posts
24,995 battles

I've always loved bad concealment BBs.  It means I can fire at them earlier in the game before they get into their ideal engagement ranges.  And when you're on Fire and need to disengage, it becomes harder because being on Fire worsens your detection range by 2km.

It's also fun having bad concealment at the start of the game because everyone sees only you, and all those a**holes that have their guns loaded will fire their first 1-2 salvos at you, at the very least.  You then are eating early damage before you're anywhere useful, before you're anywhere near where you want to start YOUR engagement.  It was especially fun when a CV squad was casually flying by the area nowhere near your bad concealment BB, wasn't even looking for you but for some DD, still spotted you, then you draw everyone's gunfire.

Next thing you know you lost 10k, 20k, whatever HP at the onset of the fight.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KUMA]
Members
35 posts
7,143 battles

Depends on your playstyle...

1. if you are comfortable using the mountain as a half-cover:

PT, PM / (enhanced)EL;

AR;

SI;

AFT, Manual secondary; FP;

2. if you do open sea a bit more, you can change FP to CE. 

3. if you don't necessarily need a full-sec build, you can drop Manual Secondary and take both FP and CE. IFHE is not recommended as it no longer pens 27mm. 

Just my humble opinion and it may be not optimal. 

Edited by Angstroms

Beta Testers
968 posts
4,156 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I've always loved bad concealment BBs.  It means I can fire at them earlier in the game before they get into their ideal engagement ranges.  And when you're on Fire and need to disengage, it becomes harder because being on Fire worsens your detection range by 2km.

It's also fun having bad concealment at the start of the game because everyone sees only you, and all those a**holes that have their guns loaded will fire their first 1-2 salvos at you, at the very least.  You then are eating early damage before you're anywhere useful, before you're anywhere near where you want to start YOUR engagement.  It was especially fun when a CV squad was casually flying by the area nowhere near your bad concealment BB, wasn't even looking for you but for some DD, still spotted you, then you draw everyone's gunfire.

Next thing you know you lost 10k, 20k, whatever HP at the onset of the fight.

If one had to trade the points somehow, a Yamato or similar could forgo concealment as it often fires from range where it drops off when not firing regardless. And will be found by aircraft regardless. 

However Yamato, Thunderer etc. don't have to make such a trade as 14 points gets them both fire prevention and concealment. 

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

I've seen a few posit that Man Sec is actually a hindrance vs BBs in a brawl (on MA/GA/OH that already have very accurate secondaries) because it more often has shells hitting belt armor (shatters) instead of super structure. I have man sec on my Georgia/Mass Cpt so I can't speak to that.

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,735 posts
24,995 battles
24 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

If one had to trade the points somehow, a Yamato or similar could forgo concealment as it often fires from range where it drops off when not firing regardless. And will be found by aircraft regardless. 

However Yamato, Thunderer etc. don't have to make such a trade as 14 points gets them both fire prevention and concealment.

There's a bunch of people that go around proclaiming concealment is useless on Battleships, of which I vehemently disagree with.

Sign in to follow this