You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Freedomshells

Neustrashimy or Marceau

9 comments in this topic

[SCK]
Members
154 posts
21,477 battles

Every time I decide to finally get Marceau, a new OP capt or ship comes around. Which would you get first? Not sure how long the Neustrashimy will be offered. Is it really OP?

[SIM]
Members
5,580 posts
9,007 battles

OP? Maybe. In skilled hands she’s powerful, but her weapon systems leave her a little undergunned compared to her peers. Keep in mind that up until now small sample size, being gated behind competitive rewards, and appealing only to skilled DD enthusiasts have greatly inflated her performance statistics. 

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
5,176 posts
6,659 battles

Wouldn't recommend Neustrashimy for that coal pricetag; not unless you got loads of coal to burn.

I got mine with Steel and coupon and still not sure if the ship was worth it. 

In very broad terms it's a clumsy, stealthy DD overloaded with gimmicks that relies mostly on torpedoes (surprisingly close reload to Fletcher if built for that) to do most of it's damage and the Repair Party to outlast enemy destroyers. Having only 2x2 main battery can be a serious disadvantage in certain encounters.

Is the ship OP? Not really, though players can obviously capitalize on some of it's advantages. Is it fun? Yes if you enjoy a unique playstyle and pulling off stunts other DDs can't. Is it easy to play? Depends, though the ship itself requires a pretty high point Commander.

Don't judge by server stats, as of now we are just ~120 players or so with more than 40 battles to be on wowsnumbers.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,407 posts
19,826 battles

Neustrashimy: Acts very differently compared to every other Soviet DD, relying on stealth and torpedoes with poor gunpower. It does have a superheal though, so it can win a gunfight with proper gunboats through sheer attrition. Very hard to play well, requires a different commander compared to say a Grozovoi, Tashkent, or Khaba, and costs 300k coal and you CANNOT use a coupon on her until 10.0 (about a month and a half from now) Not worth unless you are a good DD player

Marceau: is farily similiar to FR DDs, except she has insane DPM without a reload booster, but has some of the worst shell arcs of any DD in the game. Shorter range than Kleber, making AFT almost mandatory. Uses Kleber's pre nerf stealth, but has worse torpedoes. Like Neustrashimy, very hard to do well in, but being 60k less coal than Neustrashimy without a coupon makes her a better value for coal.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

I wouldn't say the Marceau is to do hard to well in, she's in the top 2/3 in tier 10 dd winrates general server and top 5% players also....she is strong and I like the 7km concealment better than the 7.8 on the kleber

Edited by Meta_Man

[SALVO]
Members
25,789 posts
28,039 battles

Personally, I'm enjoying the Neustrashimy more than the Marceau.  (I have both.)   One upside of the Marceau is that its AA is far better than the Kleber, but it pays for this with much weaker guns.  "Weaker" as in it'll produce a lot more shatters than the big Kleber guns.  The Marceau can stealth torp much more easily with its lower concealment compared to the Kleber.

OTOH, the Neustrashimy is a oddball Russian DD, as it's more of a torp boat than a gunboat.  Its torps hit very hard for a Russian DD.  And she's a Swiss Army Knife of consumables.  If you like torp boats and torp boating, you'd probably enjoy the Neustrashimy.

One point to consider about Neustrashimy.  Unless you happen to have a hardcore torpboat Russian captain in your Grozovoi, etc., you may find that a more traditional Russian gunboat DD captain to be decidedly inferior in the Neustrashimy.    For optimized performance, I tend to think that the Neustrashimy would do better with a more torp boat specialized captain's skill build.

• Cool 1

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
2 hours ago, Cody_The_Destroyer said:

Every time I decide to finally get Marceau, a new OP capt or ship comes around. Which would you get first? Not sure how long the Neustrashimy will be offered. Is it really OP?

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there, partner.

Who the heck told you it was OP?

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,895 battles
6 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Neustrashimy: Acts very differently compared to every other Soviet DD, relying on stealth and torpedoes with poor gunpower. It does have a superheal though, so it can win a gunfight with proper gunboats through sheer attrition. Very hard to play well, requires a different commander compared to say a Grozovoi, Tashkent, or Khaba, and costs 300k coal and you CANNOT use a coupon on her until 10.0 (about a month and a half from now) Not worth unless you are a good DD player

Marceau: is farily similiar to FR DDs, except she has insane DPM without a reload booster, but has some of the worst shell arcs of any DD in the game. Shorter range than Kleber, making AFT almost mandatory. Uses Kleber's pre nerf stealth, but has worse torpedoes. Like Neustrashimy, very hard to do well in, but being 60k less coal than Neustrashimy without a coupon makes her a better value for coal.

You can use a coupon on Neut? wth.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
394 posts
12,996 battles

Currently Neustrashimy is the the "Featured" section of the armory.  You cannot use a coupon on items in this section of the armory.  The price is 296K coal.

It has been reported that with update 10.0 (or 10.1,  not sure what the next update number is) it will move to the ship section of the armory.  You can use the coupon for any ship in this section, therefore, there will be a 25% discount on the coal amount if you wait and use the ship coupon.