You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MizzenMast

Where's the love? (Karma)

24 comments in this topic

[RBMK2]
Members
349 posts
7,062 battles

Did a few matched this morning in a DD. 1st match 3-4min into it I got Torp Souped by a Shima Div. You've all seen them. I pretty much didnt have a prayer as was proved out. I was Red's 1st blood. At the end of the match I farmed 2 neg karma from my misstep. Ok, no prob. I earned it by being a little to aggressive.  However over the next 4 matches, we won & I took 1st place in each of the standings. 2 of the matches I arguably carried the team. How many compliments you think I got?? You guessed it... ZERO! I got 2 more neg karma over those matches. 

Now I get Karma is as useful as a tall glass of cold urine, its the principle of the matter though. 

For me, if I am in a match & we got an absolute potato or someone who is ineffective I will hit them with neg karma if its pretty egregious. By the same token if someone plays exceptionally well, on either team. I make it a point to compliment them. Surely I am not that unusual an individual, why then are there so many miserable bastages out there? Is it a sign of the times or just the blanket of anonymity that makes ppl act that way?

Lets do a poll of sorts... 

If you compliment good play hit this post with a thumbs up. 

If you never post good or bad karma hit this post with a Laughing.

If you post neg karma for good play because you're mad they killed you hit this post with a thumbs down.

If you post neg karma because you dont like how they killed you be it DD, CV, Dev strike, what have you. Hit this post with a Yawn.

If you post neg karma just because of what ship class they are in hit this post with a Thank You.

I am curious to see the results.

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 3

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,025 battles

I got reported for sinking the enemy ships. They did not like me sinking them. No but for real I dont get the system really and yes it is kind of hard to ignore because it stares you in the face lol

[SALVO]
Members
2,719 posts
6,801 battles
10 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

Did a few matched this morning in a DD. 1st match 3-4min into it I got Torp Souped by a Shima Div. You've all seen them. I pretty much didnt have a prayer as was proved out. I was Red's 1st blood. At the end of the match I farmed 2 neg karma from my misstep. Ok, no prob. I earned it by being a little to aggressive.  However over the next 4 matches, we won & I took 1st place in each of the standings. 2 of the matches I arguably carried the team. How many compliments you think I got?? You guessed it... ZERO! I got 2 more neg karma over those matches. 

Now I get Karma is as useful as a tall glass of cold urine, its the principle of the matter though. 

For me, if I am in a match & we got an absolute potato or someone who is ineffective I will hit them with neg karma if its pretty egregious. By the same token if someone plays exceptionally well, on either team. I make it a point to compliment them. Surely I am not that unusual an individual, why then are there so many miserable bastages out there? Is it a sign of the times or just the blanket of anonymity that makes ppl act that way?

Lets do a poll of sorts... 

If you compliment good play hit this post with a thumbs up. 

If you never post good or bad karma hit this post with a Laughing.

If you post neg karma for good play because you're mad they killed you hit this post with a thumbs down.

If you post neg karma because you dont like how they killed you be it DD, CV, Dev strike, what have you. Hit this post with a Yawn.

If you post neg karma just because of what ship class they are in hit this post with a Thank You.

I am curious to see the results.

You do not get positive karma for single instances of carrying.  Positive karma  in reality is limited by several factors and doesn't get handed out like gold stars in gade 3 where every good performance is rewarded. 

A number of things have to come together.

1. Someone who is likely to give positive Karma needs to be on your side in the first place.

2. That someone needs to recognize your good play.

3. That someone needs to have positive karma left to give. 

4. He has to remember to actually do it. 

This is something I have said before.  The people who are gathering Positive Karma if its in the double digits like mine or in the hundreds like some unicums have.  Do it by consistently making good plays and by consistently carrying for YEARS.  Who knows  maybe only 1 in 20 or 50 good plays gets recognized.     This is certainly closer to how I hand out positive Karma.  I hardly do it even once a week. Then other days i'll remember to do it and ill give out all 7 in just a few matches.  I certainly hand out less positive Karma then negative. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 2

Members
271 posts
9,764 battles

I'm sitting at +83 right now, stuck in the low 80's for at least 6 weeks.

I don't play Cvs ever.

Seems I get most of my negative karma in DDs by pushing or capping too soon and getting sunk early. 

As the OP noted, you can have a really stellar game and get nothing.

My last karma +1 was, I think, from a BB that was getting machine gunned by an Atlanta. I was in a DD and smoked up the BB so the ATL lost visual.  Helping out others, playing well, and smart will eventually be noticed.

..and I wish WOW would find a way to give incentives/rewards for maintaining your + karma, and complimenting others.

[DPG]
Members
2,044 posts
10,977 battles

Karma is a popularity contest, nothing more.  If you're a CC, streamer, or Youtuber you get compliments for existing.  If you're in a "famous" clan, it doesn't matter whether you potato hard, you'll get compliments.  If you're forum "famous" you'll get compliments.  Check your karma after 30k posts or create a youtube channel.  Otherwise, you have to carry so spectacularly that it's impossible to ignore.  You'll also have to hope that you haven't been reported more times than complimented in that same battle.  I got a solo warrior and got reported after that battle.  I've had 7 kill battles and lost karma.  I've single-handedly saved the team from defeat and lost karma.   

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,191 posts
18,864 battles

If someone plays well, I give good karma. I run out of goods if I play several games in a day.

I particularly look for bottom tier players who play at top tier caliber.

If a red player plays very well (carry-level play) but they lose, I'll give good karma.

If someone plays poor enough to cause a loss of the match, they get negative karma, but only T6 and above.

I never give bad karma to reds for how they play (good or bad).

I might give bad karma (ID'd by chat) if they say something way over the TOS line in chat.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts

Here are the Karmas for the first nine players my team just now. Note that very few players have any Karma. It's a pretty useless thing and WG should just get rid of it.

image.thumb.png.be945678c439247784b70488224886d3.png

[GOB]
Members
2,521 posts
2 hours ago, brewakeg said:

My last karma +1 was, I think, from a BB that was getting machine gunned by an Atlanta. I was in a DD and smoked up the BB so the ATL lost visual.  Helping out others, playing well, and smart will eventually be noticed.

Yeah but I have done that MANY times and maybe get a THANK YOU 1 out of 10 times. Almost as often as I get yelled at in chat for blocking their sight of the enemy while I save another member of the team about to die.

• Cool 1

Members
225 posts
8,704 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Here are the Karmas for the first nine players my team just now. Note that very few players have any Karma. It's a pretty useless thing and WG should just get rid of it.

LOL they should let karma go negative. That might cause more comments on this forum than CV hate.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
Just now, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

LOL they should let karma go negative. That might cause more comments on this forum than CV hate.

Rep in the forums only goes positive now. You now get rep even when "snoozed" or downvoted. Once though you could go negative. Occasionally you will see someone come back and troll the forums who has a red, negative reputation number. One guy had hundreds of negative rep.

Personally, I'd like to see the number of the different rep icons I've been given compiled somewhere. Not publicly so much but somewhere where I could access it.

Members
225 posts
8,704 battles

I suppose the whole karma concept is fatally flawed but they could incentivize players to +1 more often if, say, you exhaust all of your +1s for the day you get a +1 yourself or maybe a few cheap flags.

• Cool 1

Members
3,892 posts
14,039 battles

You have to play consistently well, not say much in chat or be well known within the community or subgroup within the community. 

I have 200+ karma. No one really knows me in the clan communities, PVE communities, even really the forum community.

If you say too much in chat, someone will get offended; doesnt matter what you really say. 

But karma doesnt do much (gives you more compliments/reports, sometimes WG gives camos), so it doesnt really matter. 

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,521 posts
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Rep in the forums only goes positive now. You now get rep even when "snoozed" or downvoted. 

LOL Really??  

I bet those people that downvote everything they see, including a clear sunny day with kittens and puppies,  don't know they are giving Positive Rep when they act out.

Now that is Hilarious!

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
10 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

LOL Really??  

I bet those people that downvote everything they see, including a clear sunny day with kittens and puppies,  don't know they are giving Positive Rep when they act out.

Now that is Hilarious!

Yep, nowadays it's all "Hollywood" rep in the forums, where it doesn't matter what you get noticed for, as long as you get noticed.

Edited by Snargfargle

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
496 posts
22,782 battles

I have 402 Karma.  I'm not famous here nor am I a Unicom.  (Below average player actually.)  I get Karma in co-op and Ops.  Finishing #1 in Ops often gets Karma, being funny in chat while playing co-op does the same.  I get an occasional +1 when I play Randoms.

Tonight I lost 3 Karma points telling know it all people in Ops what I really thought.  LOL!  I don't sprinkle salt often but when I do there is no doubt how I feel.

Members
271 posts
9,764 battles

Exhibit A:  From today in my Maass (record game for me)

13 torp hits on 7 ships, Kraken, Confederate, #1 on the team list.   4 other green ships afloat at the end.

erWOW_Maass_Dec12_2020_RandomNoEconFlags_151Kdam_KrakenPlus_396Kcred_13torpHits.thumb.JPG.01324e263bd1efc81d346d634d7c0f8e.JPG 

Do you think I got any Karma?

Edited by brewakeg

[SYN]
Members
1,406 posts
10,851 battles
9 hours ago, MizzenMast said:

If you post neg karma

I will hand out negative but not to the winning team (unless it's for what was said in chat). I give more positive on the whole.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

I’m not getting paid to bring karma home so I don’t mind being reasonably generous with it... for and against. 

I’m sitting around 100-105 depending on what I’m playing... I want to care about it but it’s pretty hard. I’m in a quiet little clan that enjoys the naval base benefits and usually just keep my negative thoughts to myself. 

Usually. 

But putting any thought into what’s up with karma is worse than obsessing about stats in terms of game enjoyment because at least you can have some measure or control over the latter. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
353 posts
3,705 battles

Karma makes me not want to learn some classes

I know it doesnt mean much but its disheartening watching it all slip away after a few Amalfi games

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,519 posts
18,171 battles

I had a few decent games in my Oklahoma earlier today, one of which at the end I got into a brawl with a Cesare, which I won with some help. I complimented the Cesare captain in chat on the fight and he returned it. Put me at 356 or so; the only time I check karma is when I see I'm complimented. Generally I use up all of my daily compliments and only report people that go over the line in chat, TKers, or full game afk players.

In my experience co-op and scenario players are the most affable captains and give out the most positive karma. Ranked, for me at least, generates the most negatives. 

Image - 747837] | Why You Heff to be Mad? | Know Your Meme

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered

[REVY]
Members
2,579 posts
13,876 battles

I did get a bump in Karma in a couple of battles today. I also complimented a teammate in another battle as he stayed and fought alongside my ship while other teammates ran off, and we came out on top because of it.

But I also reported a couple of players. For example, I reported a BB (Champagne)  and two DDs (Shimakaze/Udaloi) who decided to go off after a Holland and ignore capping. The Udaloi eventually decided to break off from the chase, but by then we had lost the only cap we had, and much of the team was dead. Even worse, the Holland sank both the Shima and the Champagne. And neither understood why the team was annoyed with them.