You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mpwardawg

Santa crate ship drops - ships already in port?

8 comments in this topic

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,509 battles

When the containers first came out this year, I bought a 20 mega bundle and was pleased with the results (5 ships - makarov - cheshire - ochakov - bagration, champagne) and some premium time, coal, and the usual camo/signals.  

I was thinking of buying another bundle and checked the list of ships that are possible in a drop.   I have....everyone of them on that list.  I still have steel and RB ships I would like but will take some time.

In reading on the website description it makes mention of a ship dropping and you would be compensated in doubloons or credits.  I would not mind grabbing the doubloons for one of those ships, but I wonder with the way things drop if this is even possible.  From a business perspective if I bought another 20 mega containers and drop 5 ships for doubloons....that would be a HUGE amount of doubloons.   It stands to reason that WG would have to curb the drops significantly if not altogether. 

Summed up questions below:

1.  Is it still possible for me to drop a ship and get the doubloons/credits with having those ships already in port?

2.  How does it determine doubloon or credits if so?  (I would prefer doubloons of course)

3.  I looked up some of the youtubers who purchased ungodly amounts of containers and they received a lot of duplicate drops and thus tons of doubloons.   Is this only possible with bulk buys when you don't already have this year's common ship drops (cough makarov)?

4. For those who bought all 3 of the container types (santa, big, mega).......what do YOU believe is the most bang for your buck? 

Thanks for any insight and fair seas!  

• Boring 1

[KSD]
Members
263 posts
13,119 battles
52 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

When the containers first came out this year, I bought a 20 mega bundle and was pleased with the results (5 ships - makarov - cheshire - ochakov - bagration, champagne) and some premium time, coal, and the usual camo/signals.  

I was thinking of buying another bundle and checked the list of ships that are possible in a drop.   I have....everyone of them on that list.  I still have steel and RB ships I would like but will take some time.

In reading on the website description it makes mention of a ship dropping and you would be compensated in doubloons or credits.  I would not mind grabbing the doubloons for one of those ships, but I wonder with the way things drop if this is even possible.  From a business perspective if I bought another 20 mega containers and drop 5 ships for doubloons....that would be a HUGE amount of doubloons.   It stands to reason that WG would have to curb the drops significantly if not altogether. 

Summed up questions below:

1.  Is it still possible for me to drop a ship and get the doubloons/credits with having those ships already in port?

2.  How does it determine doubloon or credits if so?  (I would prefer doubloons of course)

3.  I looked up some of the youtubers who purchased ungodly amounts of containers and they received a lot of duplicate drops and thus tons of doubloons.   Is this only possible with bulk buys when you don't already have this year's common ship drops (cough makarov)?

4. For those who bought all 3 of the container types (santa, big, mega).......what do YOU believe is the most bang for your buck? 

Thanks for any insight and fair seas!  

If you draw a ship you already own, it will be randomly replaced with a ship that is currently not in your port. The only way to get doubloons is to have every ship on the list. Then the doubloon amount is predetermined by the price of the ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,211 posts
16,162 battles

STOP and WAIT.

If you have EVERY SHIP THE CONTAINERS COULD DROP, you will most probably get non-ship drops in lieu. The only way you get duplicate dubs these days is if you get the container that happens to have a particular ship, then somehow acquire the ship in a different way, THEN open the container. Massive RNG required.

If you have EVERY SHIP ON THE LIST, YOU CANNOT GET DUPLICATE DOUBLOONS.  That mechanism is no longer active.

Do not buy any more crates.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,509 battles
26 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

See that is what I read earlier and it says what @_CPR was saying ( if you have the ship already it will roll another one).  But then it states that if you have all the ships "you might" get other valuable items.  But the question is, what if you have them all in your port WHEN you purchase?

But then the next question on that link is worded in a way that can be interpreted differently "in this case you will receive credits/doubloons."  I read this part to mean that if you already have all the ships, you will now only receive those "other valuable items."  Now, like those crazy bulk purchases some streamers made.....they did NOT HAVE all the ships and then pulled duplicates within their large 1000 container purchases.  

I'm betting that @Ensign_Cthulhu is correct.

Screenshot of the website added for clarity.

@Hapa_Fodder can you provide the answer with certainty? 

Screenshot_20201212-130537.thumb.png.3844cf5c06f9ca8bc7ca5b9e58e53bce.png

[KWF]
Members
5,174 posts
6,659 battles
2 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

See that is what I read earlier and it says what @_CPR was saying ( if you have the ship already it will roll another one).  But then it states that if you have all the ships "you might" get other valuable items.  But the question is, what if you have them all in your port WHEN you purchase?

But then the next question on that link is worded in a way that can be interpreted differently "in this case you will receive credits/doubloons."  I read this part to mean that if you already have all the ships, you will now only receive those "other valuable items."  Now, like those crazy bulk purchases some streamers made.....they did NOT HAVE all the ships and then pulled duplicates within their large 1000 container purchases.  

I'm betting that @Ensign_Cthulhu is correct.

Screenshot of the website added for clarity.

@Hapa_Fodder can you provide the answer with certainty? 

Screenshot_20201212-130537.thumb.png.3844cf5c06f9ca8bc7ca5b9e58e53bce.png

Now, this is my interpretation, but there are two states of when you have all the ships container wise. Keep in mind that you get the container results the moment they show up on your account, not when you open them. One state where you have purchased the containers and finished up your ship collection but still have containers left to open, and another state where you got all the ships from the containers, and now buy a new batch.

So in the first state this applies as you potentially already had "rolled" for ships, but the containers aren't done and you got all possible premiums

What if there are only ships in the container and I already have all of them?

In this case, you'll receive doubloons (or credits) as compensation for the cost of the ship you would otherwise have received.

In the second state this applies:

What if I already own all ships from the list?

In such cases, you might get other valuable items from the container, such as doubloons, Coal, rare camouflages, or special signals.

At least that's how it makes sense to me, kinda curious to hear from Hapa or someone else if that's the case.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,211 posts
16,162 battles

It all comes down to the fact that the container contents are fixed as soon as you obtain them, but any ships which are in them aren't "yours" until the crate is opened.

Say you have a fresh account with no premium ships at all and you buy a pack of 20 big crates. The evil shortlist looks into your port and sees that you have no Makarov (or California or Orkan, but we will stick with the Makarov as a surrogate for the others), so in one of those crates a Makarov will be dealt out to you. That Makarov is now fixed. It exists as an actuality in that crate, and as soon as you open the crate you will receive it. But you haven't opened it yet.

Without opening those crates, you immediately buy a second lot. Again the shortlist looks into your port and sees no Makarov there. Again, the shortlist RNG deals out a Makarov as the contents of one of those crates. 

Under these circumstances, AND THESE CIRCUMSTANCES ONLY, you will receive duplicate doubloons for the second Makarov. 

Now let's take a look at a second hypothetical account which was played since Beta and which has all the available ships. This second account bought the Makarov and everything else while it was available, as soon as it came out, and every ship on the long list is there, including the ones which have since been banned. The over-riding, dominant rule the AI now deals on is the fact that all the ships it can possibly distribute are already in port, so it will default to coal, dubs, flags... anything except a ship.

The people who have fifty gazillion daily crates including supercontainers stashed away are doing themselves a disservice if they buy and open Santa crates first. They need to clear all those SC's out and ensure that any ships which might be in them are already dropped, (a) to be sure they're not chasing after a rare ship they might already fortuitously have got, and (b) to narrow down the drop possibilities. I'm not saying it's happened, and I'm not saying the chances aren't anything but remote... but just imagine spending hundreds of dollars chasing a Missouri which was already in a Supercontainer you got six months ago but simply hadn't opened yet because reasons.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARRSE]
Members
213 posts
1,405 battles
16 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now let's take a look at a second hypothetical account which was played since Beta and which has all the available ships. This second account bought the Makarov and everything else while it was available, as soon as it came out, and every ship on the long list is there, including the ones which have since been banned. The over-riding, dominant rule the AI now deals on is the fact that all the ships it can possibly distribute are already in port, so it will default to coal, dubs, flags... anything except a ship.

I have most* of the available ships on my EU account. Typically each Christmas I lack about a dozen ships off the container list - usually the unwanted UP ships introduced during the year, and CVs.

In this situation, based on two seasons' experience, I'm confident to allege that the crates AI is also set to give missing ships  (i.e. when it runs out of cammos!) in fixed sequence from low tier to high tier, or perhaps in reverse order of stats performance - server least popular/performing ships first, oh and CVs.

Over this year and last year, I have been able to predict with 100% accuracy the identity of the next ship to drop out of a container. Thats 13 ships so far over both years. Maybe I just had lucky guesses, given that its "random chance" (cough).

* Almost none bought for cash BTW. Mostly from gifted containers over the years.