You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Penguinattack27

Need Help With Vibrus Unitus

13 comments in this topic

Members
59 posts
744 battles

So I'm probably going to get a serious amount of flack for this, but I'm a cv main and cruiser secondary. I won vibrus unitus in one of the free santa's containers from the free random bundle. I have no experience in battleships at all. My question is what in the world do i do, where do i start if unitus is a worthwhile battleship, and if not is there a way to get doubloon's for it ? If you offer assistance thanks for helping.

Edited by Penguinattack27

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,781 posts
20,259 battles
5 minutes ago, Penguinattack27 said:

where do i start if unitus is a worthwhile battleship

No really. It's more like a tier 4.5.

5 minutes ago, Penguinattack27 said:

and if not is there a way to get doubloon's for it

KqsJiJD.gif

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

Last question first, you will not be able to get Doubloons for it, only Credits.  Unless you really need the Port Slot, keep the ship, even it you never drive it as this will keep you from getting it again from a random ship drop.

As to playing it, it is a slow BB with limited AA.  You could try playing it in Co-op just to get a feel for how it handles.  Since it is a Tier 5, you could try playing USN BBs up to Tier 5 which will give you some experience driving similar ships.

If nothing else, you will get a feel for the vulnerabilities of the ship, and you can use that when you see one in your CV or DD.

Members
59 posts
744 battles
2 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Last question first, you will not be able to get Doubloons for it, only Credits.  Unless you really need the Port Slot, keep the ship, even it you never drive it as this will keep you from getting it again from a random ship drop.

As to playing it, it is a slow BB with limited AA.  You could try playing it in Co-op just to get a feel for how it handles.  Since it is a Tier 5, you could try playing USN BBs up to Tier 5 which will give you some experience driving similar ships.

If nothing else, you will get a feel for the vulnerabilities of the ship, and you can use that when you see one in your CV or DD.

3 minutes ago, Lert said:

KqsJiJD.gif

Thanks guys, i expected a fair larger amount of salt.

[WHEE]
Members
113 posts
3,216 battles

It’s a great Co-Op bote, and I’m surprisingly not terrible with her in Randoms. 

I get peoples gripes, but I’m a true believer that it’s one of the most underrated ships in the game. Are there better Tier V BBs out there? Sure. But she has great guns and she turns on a dime. She slaughters cruisers. Watch that broadside though, she gets citadeled easy, so be careful when you unmask her aft batteries. 

That being said - I wasn’t around for the dev cycle of the ship, which I hear was frustrating, and I feel that plays into some people’s calculus on their feelings on the ship. 

Its worth mentioning that it’s the only EU battleship and a pretty cool historical ship from Austria-Hungary. Beautifully modeled and is worthwhile if you’re a historical collector. 

• Thanks 1

Members
59 posts
744 battles
9 minutes ago, celticboy27 said:

It’s a great Co-Op bote, and I’m surprisingly not terrible with her in Randoms. 

I get peoples gripes, but I’m a true believer that it’s one of the most underrated ships in the game. Are there better Tier V BBs out there? Sure. But she has great guns and she turns on a dime. She slaughters cruisers. Watch that broadside though, she gets citadeled easy, so be careful when you unmask her aft batteries. 

That being said - I wasn’t around for the dev cycle of the ship, which I hear was frustrating, and I feel that plays into some people’s calculus on their feelings on the ship. 

Its worth mentioning that it’s the only EU battleship and a pretty cool historical ship from Austria-Hungary. Beautifully modeled and is worthwhile if you’re a historical collector. 

I agree she turns great, but she is a little slow. I might look for a drachinfell video on her, being the only Austro Hungarian dreadnought in game is cool. What makes her  a good cruiser killer though ? I see on the stat card she has a similar velocity to kotovsky's 152's and normal ballistics, but wouldn't her speed detriment her cruiser killer potential ? Dont cruiser killers normally follow a line between battlecruisers and large cruisers in style ? Enough armor, high speed and medium caliber guns ? She has the guns, and about 60mms of armor  around the citadel, but her speed seems to be  a strategic problem for a cruiser killer style ship. Every cruiser at t5 is a light cruiser or scout cruiser, meaning atleast 28 knots on a bad day, 32 on a good one. 20 knots would seem to be a problem against them.

Edited by Penguinattack27

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,835 battles

Her guns are in a good layout and are very accurate for a tier 5.

HOWEVER, she is slow. She has bad AA...she has a bad armor layout...and she has a very low health pool.

You want to play in such a way that you dont get shot at, but you can shoot the enemy.

WGs version of the ship is NOT true to her historical reality. Do not assess the real life ship when trying to decide how to play this one.

WG development got salty about actual ship collectors (like me) deciding not to buy her after they made a series of questionable balancing choices to make her gimmicky.

IMO, WG should save the silly gimmicks for paper ships...but hey, who am I to say that WGs marketing of this ship was a fail?

I am quite sure the spreadsheet already told them...

[SCRUM]
Members
90 posts
6,594 battles

I've been playing the VU for several months now, and I really like her.  She brings in a lot of credits and free xp and ribbons.  The speed is slow but that means you show up in the battle in time for lots of close targets.  I usually wind up spinning around in circles and broadsiding cruisers and DDs. The guns land salvos very acurately. My win rate is over 50% after 60+ games in random.

Members
59 posts
744 battles
6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Her guns are in a good layout and are very accurate for a tier 5.

HOWEVER, she is slow. She has bad AA...she has a bad armor layout...and she has a very low health pool.

You want to play in such a way that you dont get shot at, but you can shoot the enemy.

WGs version of the ship is NOT true to her historical reality. Do not assess the real life ship when trying to decide how to play this one.

WG development got salty about actual ship collectors (like me) deciding not to buy her after they made a series of questionable balancing choices to make her gimmicky.

IMO, WG should save the silly gimmicks for paper ships...but hey, who am I to say that WGs marketing of this ship was a fail?

I am quite sure the spreadsheet already told them...

3 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I've been playing the VU for several months now, and I really like her.  She brings in a lot of credits and free xp and ribbons.  The speed is slow but that means you show up in the battle in time for lots of close targets.  I usually wind up spinning around in circles and broadsiding cruisers and DDs. The guns land salvos very acurately. My win rate is over 50% after 60+ games in random.

Ok, i will try a battle in co op shooting cruisers and the like.

[RST]
[RST]
Beta Testers
167 posts
9,913 battles
50 minutes ago, Penguinattack27 said:

So I'm probably going to get a serious amount of flack for this, but I'm a cv main and cruiser secondary. I won vibrus unitus in one of the free santa's containers from the free random bundle. I have no experience in battleships at all. My question is what in the world do i do, where do i start if unitus is a worthwhile battleship, and if not is there a way to get doubloon's for it ? If you offer assistance thanks for helping.

I have the VU when it first came out because I'm a ship collector.  I agree with the discussion - great guns but slow and limited AA.  When she's top tier against T4 CVs, you don't have a lot to worry about because those planes are limited and you're probably playing against new CVs drivers anyway.  They get bored and go looking for the enemy CVs.  It gets tougher against T6 CVs.  She murders cruisers at a decent range and can deny a cap with proper support. If a standard battle, I generally stay near base to help defend because once you go to one flank or another, you're committed.  For Domination mode, choose one cap and then pushover with support.  If she's uptiered to T7, that's TOUGH.  Just play smart and stay near friends.  You'll probably get focused but sometimes you can be the champ because the reds are 'ignoring'  you thinking you're not a threat - make them think otherwise. I've had decent random matches in it.  Wish they came out with an entire line of this nation's ships. Would be interesting.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,360 posts
22,158 battles
2 hours ago, Penguinattack27 said:

I won her in my free santa box too.

Angled the ship can tank.

The guns are extremely accurate and pack a big punch.

Since your a tier 4 ship in a tier 5 skin, play middle and use your range.

[CVA16]
Members
5,873 posts
18,075 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

Strangely the ship is universally maligned BUT by the ship stats it actually doing fairly well compared to other T5s. With all its numerous faults, how is it not at the bottom of the list? (Real question, I don't have one yet, no desire to get one, but I KNOW what I will get if I buy any cheap crates (I already have the Makarov and London)

To the CV main OP, I think he should play as many random games as he can in in his new VU. Learn how to Git Gud, stay with the fleet, and Just Dodge.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,781 posts
20,259 battles
9 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Strangely the ship is universally maligned BUT by the ship stats it actually doing fairly well compared to other T5s. With all its numerous faults, how is it not at the bottom of the list? (Real question, I don't have one yet, no desire to get one, but I KNOW what I will get if I buy any cheap crates

Probably down to the caliber of the people who play it rather than the ship itself. It's soft, critically vulnerable from the side, has the lowest battleship health pool at tier, and is slow. Turret angles are such that you have to be careful unmasking your rear turrets, and her guns are low caliber for battleship guns at tier. The only thing going for her is that she turns tight - but slow - and is quite accurate, and that her guns are quite good for their low caliber. It's just too bad that everything else about the ship is more T4 than T5.