You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
F3ARTH3R3AP3R

Destroyer Line

14 comments in this topic

[DFTR]
Members
21 posts
313 battles

Hello, I was doing some looking up about this before posting here and saw there was alot of dds to play, some were good, others not so good. I am wondering if i wanted to work down a DD line which line would be the better one, to at least learn how to play them right. If there is not a best one would there be like a jack of all trades type of dd lines, something that is easy to play and learm

[REVY]
Members
9,651 posts
7,316 battles
Just now, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

Hello, I was doing some looking up about this before posting here and saw there was alot of dds to play, some were good, others not so good. I am wondering if i wanted to work down a DD line which line would be the better one, to at least learn how to play them right. If there is not a best one would there be like a jack of all trades type of dd lines, something that is easy to play and learm

If you want jack of all trades, try the US DDs.  They got good guns, good torpedoes and good smoke.  Parts of the line suffer a bit because your torpedo range fails to go beyond your concealment in the early parts in the tech tree and you have low velocity guns, which require a bit of skill in aiming but they are some of the fastest guns in the west.

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
16,276 battles
2 hours ago, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

British American, Russian and Japanese are all worth grinding.

‘The Russian and Japanese lines eventually split into gunboats vs torpedoes.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,475 battles

Are you interested in torpedoes or gunboats? There are also some hybrid lines (KM).

The best and easies gunboats are in USN, most them get decent torpedoes later, except for the T4 gem: Clemson

If you are interested in stealth and torps, then IJN. Later on up the line they have some excellent gunboats too.

The UK line is good, mostly gunboats. Note that they play differently than USN due to the short smoke, but both lines have good guns albeit with slow shells and high arcs.

The RU line is good with heavier shells and railguns but turret traverse tends to be slower. Torpedoes are very short reach in general.

KM are hybrids with decent guns and decent torpedoes but do not excel at any. They usually have hydro which can be an enormous advantage in hunting other DDs. KM does not have good DDs till T8 though.

The other lines are harder to use. Pan Asia are a mix depending on tier, as they incorporate USN and RU designs.

The other lines (FR and EU) are powerful, but harder to use (not for beginners), as they are fast, with boat speed, fast guns, fast torps, but no smoke to hide. You depend on speed for hit and run. I would not recommend unless you are a seasoned DD player already.

Beta Testers
25 posts
10,004 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

KM does not have good DDs till T8 though.

No.  Both Gaede and Maass are perfectly capable DDs.  I have a 63% solo win rate in my Gaede e.g.

They suffer when double uptiered and don't have great AA when the fun police in their jackwagons show up.

Edited by Mellow_Submarine
add word

[SALVO]
Members
16,506 posts
10,225 battles
34 minutes ago, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

atm im doing the ijn line as that is the line im working on the BB. the only issue im having is aiming the torps lol

Imo IJN line is the best to learn to play DDs. At lower tiers you should focus on learn how the vision mechanics work, learn about concealment, positioning, spotting and working along with your team. IJN play style is more passive at those tiers, coupled with the concealment advantage you usually have, gives you enough time to observe the game and understand your role and positioning. At higher tiers the line splits and you get some fantastic gunboats and powerful torpboats to work and learn both styles of play, opening the door for learning more complex gameplay.

[DFTR]
Members
21 posts
313 battles

from what i read most times it is best not to use your guns, to stay close enough to see a ship to launch torpedos but not enough to get spoted, only major enemy for dds is cvs especailly if the dd has bad aa

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,991 posts
5,224 battles
3 hours ago, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

from what i read most times it is best not to use your guns, to stay close enough to see a ship to launch torpedos but not enough to get spoted, only major enemy for dds is cvs especailly if the dd has bad aa

Depends on the DD.  Low-tier IJN DDs generally have crappy guns and live by their torps.  Other DDs have quite good guns that should be used when the time is right.  Remember, a DD has good maneuverability as well as good concealment.  Yes, using your guns may draw some excess fire.  You can smoke or hide, losing your spotting.  Or you can dodge until the 20 second timer runs out and you "go dark" again.  You must be able to read the mini-map and apply the range circles there to understand the situation.  DD play is complicated and DD flavors vary a lot.

I'd develop the USN DD line as your second.  (I don't see any synergy between the IJN BB and DD lines, btw.)

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
4 hours ago, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

That really depends on the DD. Some are as you say, mostly IJN torp boats, although since the guns hit like trucks and have good fire chance, you should never ignore them.

Some DDs are all about the guns, with the torps being opportunity weapons, most DDs are somewhere in between.

One thing about DD guns, though they will usually do less damage than torpedoes that hit, they hit far more often. (my DD hit ratio is about 40%, with about a 6% rate for torps)

I find that, with a few exceptions, you can get away with no guns in mid tiers, but you'll want to use them more in high tiers, in big part because players are more torp-conscious, and are harder to catch unawares.

As far as the major enemy for DDs, there really isn't one. (although radar cruisers might have a slight edge) Any ship type will give you a bad time under the wrong circumstances.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
5 hours ago, F3ARTH3R3AP3R said:

atm im doing the ijn line as that is the line im working on the BB. the only issue im having is aiming the torps lol

Keep in mind that the aim assist is only accurate if the target doesn't change course or speed.

It's really just a baseline, and from there you estimate the offset, based on what you think the target is going to do in the next 20 seconds or so.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,991 posts
5,224 battles

BTW, keep in mind that shooting or smoking tells the enemy that there is a DD there.  An enemy that has any situational awareness will anticipate torps from you and alter course.  It also invites counterfire. 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Perhaps part of your aiming problem is your use of smoke.

[DFTR]
Members
21 posts
313 battles

oh i only use my smoke when i have to retreat, i use my guns only when faceing another DD (and there in close enough range) but most other times i try to spot and laucnh torps, i still getting good at aiming but i cant always predeict the ships path before firing