You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyrom

Still suffering, Alaska or Smaland? Help >.<

57 comments in this topic

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles

So, they both are going away very soon. I have 1.560.000 free xp and pretty sure I can finish the needed 2 mil for Smaland in time. But should I?
I know it has radar, heal, no smoke, fast guns. Also it's TX, can be used in serious clan battles (my main purpose for Smaland, if I get her). BUT, smaland is pretty close (look alike) to Halland. 35 shots per minute (against 30 for Halland), same crazy AA, smoke and no radar on hal, well, the difference exists but it's not THAT huge, we can, more or less, replace Smal with Hal.

Alaska, on other hand, is an entirely different class, it can not be replaced by any other research tree ship. It's a heavy/battle cruiser, with 305mm guns, almost a BB, while taking cruiser slot. But it is T9, can not be used in serious tournaments because of that. It works greatly in current T9 clan brawl, but its just for fun, not real clan battles that pay steel.

Important: the commander retraining thing is not important for me (will not buy Alaska JUST for that), if really necessary I can use Georgia (also american), or just pay elite commander xp. But, speaking of that, Smal could be helpful to re-train Euro dd line commanders xD

Important 2: I don't like dd or cruiser one more that another. So don't say "if you like cruisers/dds" this is not about liking xD I like them both, and want to make best possible strategical decision. Which of those ships will I miss more if I don't get it? Many thanks to those who help me to chose!

EDIT: I don't have any other high tier prems but T9 Georgia.  Not counting t5, t7 Nelson, etc.

EDIT2: where can I use Alaska, beside random battles for money making? (or just fun). I think this is what bothering me most. Smal is a t10 pro level dd (I saw some Smals in the KOTS competition), and looks like it can make a difference in TX clan battle (right?) Are there T9 seasons of Clan Battles where Alaska could be used?

Edited by crazyrom

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

You have all the data we have, and you know your own tastes and preferences better than we possibly can

• Boring 1

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
44 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

You have all the data we have, and you know your own tastes and preferences better than we possibly can

yeah, but still: what would YOU do and why? In my place. (plz take a look at the EDIT). 
The arguments I gave myself for each ship where not enough for me to decide. I am asking others to give more arguments in favor of one of the ships, to help me decide.

Edited by crazyrom

[QC_1_]
Beta Testers
183 posts
7,984 battles
21 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

yeah, but still: what would YOU do and why? In my place. (plz take a look at the EDIT). 
The arguments I gave myself for each ship where not enough for me to decide. I am asking others to give more arguments in favor of one of the ships, to help me decide.

smaland.... since you should be able to gamble for some black friday 2019 boxes in the future, and they have a decent drop rate....

but this depends whether you prefer to play tier 9 or 10 most of the time..... as in the alaska will be a better credit maker than the smaland.

cheers.

Members
335 posts
5,589 battles

I would say Alaska because there is nothing in the game quite like her. Smaland is too similar to Halland, and imo Halland is more useful outside of DD fights. So what if there's no radar? That's why you have 90kt fish you can send into smoke

[REVY]
Members
2,565 posts
13,829 battles
1 hour ago, crazyrom said:

So, they both are going away very soon. I have 1.560.000 free xp and pretty sure I can finish the needed 2 mil for Smaland in time. But should I?
I know it has radar, heal, no smoke, fast guns. Also it's TX, can be used in serious clan battles (my main purpose for Smaland, if I get her). BUT, smaland is pretty close (look alike) to Halland. 35 shots per minute (against 30 for Halland), same crazy AA, smoke and no radar on hal, well, the difference exists but it's not THAT huge, we can, more or less, replace Smal with Hal.

Alaska, on other hand, is an entirely different class, it can not be replaced by any other research tree ship. It's a heavy/battle cruiser, with 305mm guns, almost a BB, while taking cruiser slot. But it is T9, can not be used in serious tournaments because of that. It works greatly in current T9 clan brawl, but its just for fun, not real clan battles that pay steel.

Important: the commander retraining thing is not important for me (will not buy Alaska JUST for that), if really necessary I can use Georgia (also american), or just pay elite commander xp. But, speaking of that, Smal could be helpful to re-train Euro dd line commanders xD

Important 2: I don't like dd or cruiser one more that another. So don't say "if you like cruisers/dds" this is not about liking xD I like them both, and want to make best possible strategical decision. Which of those ships will I miss more if I don't get it? Many thanks to those who help me to chose!

EDIT: I don't have any other high tier prems but T9 Georgia.  Not counting t5, t7 Nelson, etc.

I already have Alaska and probably will miss out on the  (I should also mention I have most of the ships)

that said, I have had more fun and enjoyment with the Alaska then I have had with the Euro DD line.

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
1 hour ago, gorium said:

smaland.... since you should be able to gamble for some black friday 2019 boxes in the future, and they have a decent drop rate....

but this depends whether you prefer to play tier 9 or 10 most of the time..... as in the alaska will be a better credit maker than the smaland.

cheers.

I don't care much about random battles tier, since most of the time is a 9+10 game anyway. And for credits, I have Georgia already, its a very nice BB.
There is a point about black boxes, on other side I had no luck at all with them (0 ships), or with santa containers. But, maybe next year...

Edited by crazyrom

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
1 hour ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I would say Alaska because there is nothing in the game quite like her. Smaland is too similar to Halland, and imo Halland is more useful outside of DD fights. So what if there's no radar? That's why you have 90kt fish you can send into smoke

That is my point as well, AK is special different from all others, but my counter-argument is: ok, but where do I use AK, beside the random battles for cash earning? (because for random battle cash I have Georgia)

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
54 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Alaska = steel snowflake, Smaland = Santa Snowflake.

This is valid too, but I probably will take too long to get remaining 430k free xp and will miss the snowflake if I get Smal.

Edited by crazyrom

[TBW]
Members
10,738 posts
18,462 battles
8 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

This is valid too, but I probably will take too long to get remaining 430k free xp and will miss the snowflake if I get Smal.

Just use the proper signals and camos in Narai for the week.

image.thumb.png.9d04cbac0a3ca1514528d3639e23fa69.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,104 posts
11,809 battles
4 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

That is my point as well, AK is special different from all others, but my counter-argument is: ok, but where do I use AK, beside the random battles for cash earning? (because for random battle cash I have Georgia)

Maybe you just play her because she is lots of fun to play and a strong ship who cares about the rest .

[INTEL]
Members
3,365 posts
18,364 battles

Smaland requires a fair amount of DD skill to play well.  Alaska is much more forgiving and get T9 matchmaking.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
99 posts
7,101 battles

I recently got Alaska B from a Black Friday container. The Euro DD line is fun, but I doubt it would compare to the amount of fun I have had in Alaska. It is forgiving of mistakes made by the player, and can likewise punish a mistake by red players.

[PVE]
Members
7,280 posts
23,158 battles
41 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Hold off for now until the day before snowflakes go away.

Reevaluate the amount of FXP you have farmed in that time to see if you have earned enough to be able to get both by the time they go away.

If you have determined that you can (see tips below on how to increase chances)...at that time you can decide if steel or Santa container is more beneficial to you.

Hints for FXP farming...any XP modifier will drastically increase the amount of FXP in any battle so don't just load up on FXP modifiers w/out loading up on XP modifiers at the same time.

Note: By XP modifiers I just mean basic ship XP modifiers...CXP modifiers don't affect FXP points at all.

Especially effective during increased 1st win XP bonus events...to the point of switching perma camos (if you have them) for single use camos w/high XP & FXP bonuses for the 1st win bonuses during those events...at least on ships you consistently do good in.

Short answer is don't just choose 1...figure out a way to get both if you can.

Clarifier: FXP is always 5% of all accumulated ship XP (not just base XP but base XP plus ALL ship XP modifiers applied)...before any FXP modifiers are applied...so the higher the ship XP...the higher the base number for applying the FXP modifiers.

Go through all of your single use camos you have stocked up & see which ones have the best XP & FXP bonuses...if you have a mountain of them use them in every battle...if you are limited save them for +200 XP 1st win bonus events.

The oriental anniversary ones are best if you have them (Asian Lantern is 1 of them & Mosaic is best if you have them...but those are rare so use them wisely if you are limited).

1.44 M extra is the goal...it  may seem steep but there's still a lot of time...but if you have the resources (expendable camos...& signals of course) stocked up & make an intended concentrated effort it may be possible (depending on your available holiday free time of course).

Also premiums have a built in XP boost so running them will help generate extra XP over a tech tree concentration. Not saying don't run the tree ships...just concentrate on getting the premiums all run also & use resources on premiums before tech tree ships if you are limited. Use commanders on even the lower tier premium ship 1st win bonuses...but don't waste the camos for the lower tier ships.

Hope this helps.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,717 battles
1 hour ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I have both and the Smaland is another boat then the Halland. I feel more comfortable with the first, you are the predator and not the one who hopes for hitting some BB. Smaland is a very vicious ship, but you are out to sink the small boats. 

For OP, the Alaska is the easier boat. Stat wise, only the Kronsthad and the Siegfried do better, but the later has a small number of battles compared to the others. And for being a such popular boat, the numbers are good AKA even a noob can do well with her. EZ to play, lots you can do with enough skill. A small warning: they remove the fire prevention skill with the rework, she will burn for as long as a BB.

The Smaland is a niche ship and you need to either be good with DD or very dedicated to the Smaland. No smoke to hide, torpedos are within range of some cruisers, not the best stealth. Still, she does much better then the Halland server stat wise. She has a 3.5% higher average WR, but less games played with her. Which rather means, players who have her, know how to use her, then it's a noob friendly boat. Hard to master, but the sky is the limit. 

• Cool 3

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,765 posts
5,406 battles

Some of the most dangerous DD Opponets Ive run across or some of the best would be in a Smaland.

Alaska is a class onto herself. You can do ok with either one, but the Smaland is a little difficult opponet for the modified Gearing or the Shima with her radar which I think is included with it.

I have enough XP to get all four but eh... we'll see how it goes.

Its you that has to play the things so pick the ones that you do best in.

There is a snowflake event coming soon. Pause on buying just yet until you pile up more.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
1,406 posts
10,851 battles
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

I got Smaland because I don't do well at all in high tier CA.  I have yet to try her out in Randoms. 

OTOH, I do have Halland and it is one of my highest average XP ships, but has a terrible win rate (40%).  Damage , spotting and kills are good. I do not know whether it is how I fight the ship or if it is still too small sample size (40 games). I have a feeling it is me. I can point to several games I have excelled and lost. 

I haven't toyed with the radar, although giving up DefAA doesn't seem a big loss.  DD radar, seems situational to me and the Black. 

Which do you enjoy? None of us will have to live with the decision. 

Another advantage of Smaland is that you can have a t10 and a t(x) EU ship with a single captain, if you like any of the others. Oland was a good fit for me. 

1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Alaska = steel snowflake, Smaland = Santa Snowflake.

There is that. 

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
39 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Halland cannot replace Smaland in her radar niche for CBs. That is a role practically unique to Smaland.

I know, not "replace" but "kinda replace". Alaska - there is no ship even close to her (ok, Sig, but thats steel I suppose).
What would you say to your clanmate, with my question? Smal, no doubts? You guys use it for serious competitions?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,717 battles
7 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

I know, not "replace" but "kinda replace". Alaska - there is no ship even close to her (ok, Sig, but thats steel I suppose).
What would you say to your clanmate, with my question? Smal, no doubts? You guys use it for serious competitions?

The best replacements for the Alaska are at T10, the Puerto Rico and the Stalingrad. But the first didn't come back by now and the second is gated behind steel.

I would ask him, what he like to play and how good he is. If someone depends on smoke on his DD, the Smaland isn't the ship I would recommend. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,166 posts
26,804 battles
3 hours ago, crazyrom said:

I would get Alaska; (I actually already have it,) mostly because I dislike no-smoke destroyers in general.

Only EU destroyers I use are Blyskawica and Friesland.

[TFFOX]
Members
951 posts
2,136 battles
4 hours ago, crazyrom said:

EDIT2: where can I use Alaska, beside random battles for money making? (or just fun). I think this is what bothering me most. Smal is a t10 pro level dd (I saw some Smals in the KOTS competition), and looks like it can make a difference in TX clan battle (right?) Are there T9 seasons of Clan Battles where Alaska could be used?

buy smaland for FXP than go to the premium shop and buy alaska for $$$. 

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Reevaluate the amount of FXP you have farmed in that time to see if you have earned enough to be able to get both by the time they go away.

If you have determined that you can (see tips below on how to increase chances)...at that time you can decide if steel or Santa container is more beneficial to you.

Hints for FXP farming...any XP modifier will drastically increase the amount of FXP in any battle so don't just load up on FXP modifiers w/out loading up on XP modifiers at the same time.

Note: By XP modifiers I just mean basic ship XP modifiers...CXP modifiers don't affect FXP points at all.

Especially effective during increased 1st win XP bonus events...to the point of switching perma camos (if you have them) for single use camos w/high XP & FXP bonuses for the 1st win bonuses during those events...at least on ships you consistently do good in.

Short answer is don't just choose 1...figure out a way to get both if you can.

Clarifier: FXP is always 5% of all accumulated ship XP (not just base XP but base XP plus ALL ship XP modifiers applied)...before any FXP modifiers are applied...so the higher the ship XP...the higher the base number for applying the FXP modifiers.

Go through all of your single use camos you have stocked up & see which ones have the best XP & FXP bonuses...if you have a mountain of them use them in every battle...if you are limited save them for +200 XP 1st win bonus events.

The oriental anniversary ones are best if you have them (Asian Lantern is 1 of them & Mosaic is best if you have them...but those are rare so use them wisely if you are limited).

1.44 M extra is the goal...it  may seem steep but there's still a lot of time...but if you have the resources (expendable camos...& signals of course) stocked up & make an intended concentrated effort it may be possible (depending on your available holiday free time of course).

Also premiums have a built in XP boost so running them will help generate extra XP over a tech tree concentration. Not saying don't run the tree ships...just concentrate on getting the premiums all run also & use resources on premiums before tech tree ships if you are limited. Use commanders on even the lower tier premium ship 1st win bonuses...but don't waste the camos for the lower tier ships.

your answer is really very interesting and hope giving, thank you very much indeed!

Also, pretty important what you said, +XP multiplies the FXP, this is pretty important. That must be how I saw some streamer to get like 20k xp and 18k fxp. 

I have thought of getting both ships, but kinda discarded the idea because I thought it is not possible.
I just checked, Hapa published "change in availability of the ships" november 12, so I started worrying about free XP by that time, and I remember I was almost at 1 mil, like 978k. Today, 1 month later, I have 590k more (1568k). So, at current rate it would take around 2 months and 12 days to get to 3 mil. Problem is, my flags and camos will not last that long. This is what I currently have:

4kzQWD.jpg

(even bought some papa-papa with coupons for coal, which I am gathering for the Thunderer).

AR8eZK.jpg

Seems pretty enough to finish 2 mil, but not 3 mil, what do you think?

Also, there is that problem, I don't have many good tier premiums:
t93J0H.jpg

GA works fine, but I tend to overestimate her power and die sooner than I should (I think it's fixable, I can learn to be more careful). Maybe Nelson and Dragon are worthy of doing that operation Narai, as @Sovereigndawg pointed out?
There is a risky option: buy Alaska now and use her to get more FXP. But this is too risky, I just can't xD In this case I would just use Georgia (secondary build).

I will now google "best ways to get fxp", but I am super open to hear any more advices from you, thank you very much again!

[FLTF2]
Members
218 posts
7,028 battles
3 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Just use the proper signals and camos in Narai for the week.

image.thumb.png.9d04cbac0a3ca1514528d3639e23fa69.png

Man, this is very interesting! I don't have boise, but I do have South Dragon (T7 prem cruiser), you think might work the same way?
is this result your best record, or is it reproduceable? Because all I need is 150 battles like this, and I have enough camos and flags for that.