You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

Which class is hardest to learn?

40 comments in this topic

Members
325 posts
3,604 battles

Excluding the Carriers, which of the three Classes are hardest to learn?

In my experience I'd say Cruiser and I think my stats back that up.

You're not small enough to hide yet not large enough to be armoured.

I think a lot about what they're supposed to do exactly.

They're not like BBs where plain and simple good aim and good positioning/angling is all you need.

Or DDs where you scout torp cap and maybe farm as needed to win.

Not exactly a class that's too prone to explaining itself to a new player

[WORX]
Members
11,905 posts
19,455 battles
11 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

They're not like BBs where plain and simple good aim and good positioning/angling is all you need.

Hardest ?

• Torp DDs
  • Cruisers (light)

Easiest ?

• CV
  • BB
  • Cruisers (heavy)
  • DDs (guns).
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[O7]
Supertester
339 posts
12,971 battles

DDs by far. 

They are the most unforgiving class with low HP pool and poor armor. A single poor engagement oftentimes damages or even kills the DD. And then there are CVs which are highly effective against almost all DDs. 

Also, vision control is hard to master especially for newer players who aren't expected to remember the concealment values and radar ranges of every ship. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1

Members
392 posts
7,112 battles
6 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

DDs by far. 

They are the most unforgiving class with low HP pool and poor armor. A single poor engagement oftentimes damages or even kills the DD. And then there are CVs which are highly effective against almost all DDs. 

Also, vision control is hard to master especially for newer players who aren't expected to remember the concealment values and radar ranges of every ship. 

This .

Members
441 posts
2,689 battles
19 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

DDs by far. 

And when a DD screws up, it also cripples the team, making a loss more likely. So you tank your WR in addition to your other stats. Conversely (and I say this as a cruiser main), no one really cares when a CA gets blapped 4 mins in.

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
Members
323 posts
14,870 battles

hurr durr CV's?

you know CV's are just soo cool right, like they add sooo much to the game play. I mean you can do soo much more with a cv in your game, all the cool kids are playing them too. makes it so fun and dynamic, idk what that means but someone told me its really cool. I cant pronounce it with all this drool in my mouth but hey my mommy WG will be over later to give me a sponge bath and wipe my a.s.s for me.

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
325 posts
3,604 battles
33 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

DDs by far. 

DDs are by far the best ships to learn how to work concealment mechanics and vision control.

Yes a DD can die quickly but given how they

Fulfill their job it will become quite clear why you died and what to improve upon.

And it's also far easier to be relevant to the games winning strategy, making more wins for the player

You can cap and spot and torp all game and still win games can the same be said of a CA? No

A DD or BB become much more important and powerful as the game goes on I don't believe the same can really be said for the CA, a team with no DD late game is usually SOL, no spotting for the cruisers to deal damage and they tend to be thin skinned, at least a BB has Armour and can usually take a few hits from BBs and CA guns

But a DD has high concealment and Torpedo Alpha damage which can be levied against larger ships without putting it into much danger

I don't see a solid survival strategy here with the CA imo

Or carry potential

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

[O7]
Supertester
339 posts
12,971 battles
16 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

DDs are by far the best ships to learn how to work concealment mechanics and vision control.

Fulfill their job it will become quite clear why you died and what to improve upon.

And it's also far easier to be relevant to the games winning strategy, making more wins for the player

You can cap and spot and torp all game and still win games can the same be said of a CA? No

DDs are more sink or swim learning. They are one of the most impactful classes, but also difficult to learn given how easy it is to mess up.

The learning aspect isn't even clear most of the time as spotting doesn't give much exp and its not always obvious if your team took advantage of your spotting. Then there is the issue of DD fights where the mistake is taking it in the first place. That is not always obvious and a new player is unlikely to understand what went wrong other than allied team no support but enemy DD got support. 

It is easy for a good DD to carry the game. However it is also easy for a bad DD player to throw the game. 

Cruisers from different lines often play completely different from each other; you don't play a US CL like you would a German CA. Trying to generalise them under 1 class will not give you a good representations of their roles and capabilities, and in this case their difficulty. 

Edited by Your_SAT_Score

Members
441 posts
2,689 battles
42 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

It varies. Some use range, some use islands, some are nimble and stealthy. CAs are harder to use than BBs, but certainly easier than DDs. The strengths of DDs that you mentioned are all true, but taking advantage of them requires more practice and game knowledge. Saying "You can cap and spot and torp all game and still win games " is meaningless. The point is that capping and spotting and torping all game is really hard. CAs can spam HE all day and win games.

Edited by Whiskey_Rebel
  • Cool 1

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles

DDs, that said are most fun class by a mile. An earlier game in my Fletcher I was unlucky to get detected and hit hard by a cruiser in the opening minutes with only 600 health left I still managed to sink 3 ships and score 120k damage. Even though my team lost it was still a close and enjoyable game.

My only advice is avoid DD vs DD fights. Unless the other boat is 90% dead or distracted, you're going to come out if it dead or victorious but with 80+% if your health gone.

Edited by LunchCutter

Members
221 posts
8,674 battles

Varies from player to player, I imagine. In my personal experience CAs are the hardest for me. DDs have overwhelmingly been my best in terms of WR and karma points. However, I got burned out on them and have hardly played them since the big CV reworks. Not sure I will still find them as fun... it used to be on days when there were lots of CVs in queue I would counter with my Kidd and clean up. I believe those days are over.

• Cool 1

Members
325 posts
3,604 battles
8 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

Varies from player to player, I imagine. In my personal experience CAs are the hardest for me. DDs have overwhelmingly been my best in terms of WR and karma points. However, I got burned out on them and have hardly played them since the big CV reworks. Not sure I will still find them as fun... it used to be on days when there were lots of CVs in queue I would counter with my Kidd and clean up. I believe those days are over.

Same here the class just prints wins and karma I play CA if I'm in the mood to ruin that streak

[USCG]
Members
707 posts
21,905 battles

I think cruisers. Their concealment is meh and you can get blapped by a BB 3/4s the way across the map. You can try to stay angled, but you can’t angle everyone. Someone in a BB can send you back to port in a hurry...

Members
221 posts
8,674 battles
1 minute ago, cgbosn4 said:

I think cruisers. Their concealment is meh and you can get blapped by a BB 3/4s the way across the map. You can try to stay angled, but you can’t angle everyone. Someone in a BB can send you back to port in a hurry...

I find the likelihood of this increases if you have a radar cruiser and you try (and your team expects) you to get within 10 km or so of red to use that radar. I just can't figure out how to do that without getting blapped and an early exit.

Members
325 posts
3,604 battles

And with the prolofiteration of 457mm guns and their poor concealment getting close without dying can be an issue and if you do get close getting away is a other one all together

No one in this thread has addressed that yet

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,729 battles
2 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I sold my premium cv’s last year out of disgust and I got them back this year unfortunately plus the new carrier premiums. Learning how to play the new style of CV is rough as it is very hard to get damage. Saipan is a joke now and can’t rack up damage like it used to. Graf Zepplin seems to be the easiest to play especially when compared to Kaga. I have yet to try enterprise again or indomitable or the tier 6 premium Cv’s. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,202 posts
9,579 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead77 said:

hurr durr CV's?

you know CV's are just soo cool right, like they add sooo much to the game play. I mean you can do soo much more with a cv in your game, all the cool kids are playing them too. makes it so fun and dynamic, idk what that means but someone told me its really cool. I cant pronounce it with all this drool in my mouth but hey my mommy WG will be over later to give me a sponge bath and wipe my a.s.s for me.

I believe the OP said, "excluding the carrier's".

Plenty of threads with CV-related content, no need to attempt to detail this one.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,202 posts
9,579 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

DDs are more sink or swim learning. They are one of the most impactful classes, but also difficult to learn given how easy it is to mess up.

The learning aspect isn't even clear most of the time as spotting doesn't give much exp and its not always obvious if your team took advantage of your spotting. Then there is the issue of DD fights where the mistake is taking it in the first place. That is not always obvious and a new player is unlikely to understand what went wrong other than allied team no support but enemy DD got support. . 

One thing I will say, from my own experience, is that, having more or less ignored DDs until I had over 6k games in BB/CA/CLs, is that the learning aspect is fairly clear. 

Compared to the other ships, I know pretty immediately when I've made a mistake. I don't always know what that mistake was, but I'm getting better at recognising what I could have done better, now I just have to figure out how to identify the mistakes before I make them lol.

I think my biggest problem with DDs is that temptation to "fast cap". I know it's not generally a good idea, but I get away virtually unscathed often enough that I don't seem to be deterred. (when I don't get away with it, it isn't usually a "no harm no foul" situation lol)

Edited by Skpstr
  • Thanks 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,245 battles

My gut reaction would be to say DDs...  But really believe that it probably is light cruisers.   Especially those short range ones with high ROF.. In reality I think their margin for error is literally the worst in the game.     Prior to rework... RTS CVs would have been hardest  by miles....

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles

The answer is all of them - including CV - while simultaneously, all are easy to learn. It all comes down to the player.

I for one despite what some will say and bring up, found torp DD's easy to learn, a bit harder on the IJN ones post-nonsense nerf on their torp spotted ranges, but overall you give something with stealth torp ability, I'll start racking up hits pretty quick. Opposite side - I have and still struggle with gunboat DD's that aren't the 8-10 100 mm auto pen IJN ones because I just point at the bow of BB's and laugh as I melt their HP, more if they aren't one that have more than 32 mm anywhere (looking at you UK and Kansas). But the 100 mm cruisers aren't surprising because I actually naturally gravitated to light cruisers where I actually understood how they worked easily and how to play them prior to IFHE, now if it has 152 mm, especially above tier 7, I have no problems melting battleships in open water, let alone if I hide behind an island, though I'm likely going to start taking the stance I did with RTS CV's alt attacks and train some captains for them that don't use it with how often I call for nerfing/removing IFHE. Battleships really the ones I do with are usually smaller gunned in that 'battlecruiser' like grey area, or are the more tanky ones (or at least were pre-IFHE) that I just roll in close and blast everything. 

Opposite side I struggled with heavy cruisers, certain ones still do much as now I'll take on battleships in my USN CA, long range BB's, the UK line tier 8 and up, Colorado and NC even to a degree Iowa - I've struggled to figure these ships out, really unless missions or snowflakes I often don't even bring them out. And as said above gunboat lines like RU and France just seem or at last feel like I struggle with. 

Far as CV's - RTS at times was a bit rough, the fact I had still played Halo Wars recently maybe helped (as about the only RTS game i enjoyed, with CV's here being the second time I could say I kinda liked RTS), constant changes and the dumb ways Wargaming keeps trying to fix CV balance without addressing any of the actual problems aside, I've played games like Combat Flight Simulator since I was like, 9, so 20 years of playing other flying games leading up to the rework, including formally World of Warplanes till it went down a road it feels like this Dev team is going down, learning to fly the planes and make attacks was stupidly easy for me, about the only one i really have issue with is German DB's - and that's just straight up the reticle is really poorly placed for doing attack runs - but then again that entire national line is so poorly designed I want to throw all of my books on WW2 aircraft at those involved in it's research, design, and approval - many of which are quite large and heavy. If I can locate them and they weren't left behind/lost in moving the ones on game design too. 

[META_]
Members
1,659 posts
17,316 battles
2 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

A DD or BB become much more important and powerful as the game goes on I don't believe the same can really be said for the CA, a team with no DD late game is usually SOL, no spotting for the cruisers to deal damage and they tend to be thin skinned, at least a BB has Armour and can usually take a few hits from BBs and CA guns

But a DD has high concealment and Torpedo Alpha damage which can be levied against larger ships without putting it into much danger

Or carry potential

You're seeing a portion of the picture.....dds are hardest and easiest.....let's say you have a good dd player on one team and a bad dd player on the red team.....red dd dies early and your dd can still have an influence the rest of the game....Or how I play French dds I die early but still influence games , lol.....Now say you have a good BB player on your team and the reds BB player either yolos or plays sniper and not a support player......the bad BB player who snipes isn't punishing his team as much because he still can take potential damage so can still impact the game.....he can hit anyone still....so it pays more dividends to learn to be a good dd player because if you're good and the red is average or bad you help your team more....if you're good in a BB and the reds have a bad BB he still can impact the game......all classes are fun and important but misplaced CV/DD hurt the team the most.....

[CUDA]
Members
178 posts
7,394 battles

My experience is destroyers, but I think the fact that I chose French destroyers without smoke to start with is why I have that impression.