Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

I bought the National camo for Warspite and it prompted a few thoughts on opportunities for WG to make money

12 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,312 posts
5,801 battles

I am trying to set up to maximize my Snowflake haul, particularly for Steel, and in doing so one of the biggest limitations I've had is credits.  Yes, I have Missouri, my second most played ship, but I don't really enjoy it and do enough better in Musashi that I don't earn that much more.  I've also tired of playing high tier constantly.  So I looked up that graphic on ship earning potential and again considered the National camos.

391438665_ShipCreditEarning.thumb.jpeg.82535bef8c2ec2320024cf2e64dc92f7.jpeg

If it had been available for Hood I'd have bought it a long time ago as I enjoy Hood a lot more than Warspite,.....but at least Warspite is mid-tier so it would allow me to make useful amounts of credits while playing mid-tier, so I went ahead and picked it up.  First battle netted over 800,000 credits, in a Tier VI ship. So, all is well, yes? 

It got me thinking, why doesn't WG offer such camos for more ships, to allow players to boost the premiums they bought, or prefer, to be more useful to them at a cost.  I mean, the camo for Warspite was 5,000 doubloons, more than a low tier premium buy itself and combined with the cost of Warspite almost the price of a Tier VIII premium.  I would certainly purchase such camos for a number of other ships, though I'd rather they looked something like Hood's Type 14 camo rather than the gaudy paint that is the National camo on Warspite. Perhaps it could even be done in a way that spares WG's art team of needing to do work, like buying a token to boost some aspect of an existing permanent camo, sort of how you can improve Heirloom items with tokens in World of Warcraft after you obtain the Heirloom.  Make the cost higher and higher for each boost applied to a camo so that it becomes prohibitively expensive to have one camo to rule them all, or just have a max number of mods a camo can take.

Which then got me thinking about tech tree ships.  Why not offer permanent camos for tech tree ships that turn them, functionally, into a premium ship in terms of being able to assign a captain to them without retraining?  Make the camos have the usual permanent camo bonuses for their Tier (+50% EXP, -10% post battle servicing cost, -3% detectability range by sea, +4% dispersion of shells fired by enemies attacking your ship) and cost the same as a ship of that type and tier.  For example, if I bought such a camo for my Akizuki it would cost as much as a Cossack, Kidd or Le Terrible.  It would still leave the tech tree ship without the earning potential of a premium ship and unable to have a camo with better EXP boosts mounted without the tech tree ship losing its "premium" status.

Members
3,664 posts
42,372 battles
17 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I am trying to set up to maximize my Snowflake haul, particularly for Steel, and in doing so one of the biggest limitations I've had is credits.  Yes, I have Missouri, my second most played ship, but I don't really enjoy it and do enough better in Musashi that I don't earn that much more.  I've also tired of playing high tier constantly.  So I looked up that graphic on ship earning potential and again considered the National camos.

391438665_ShipCreditEarning.thumb.jpeg.82535bef8c2ec2320024cf2e64dc92f7.jpeg

If it had been available for Hood I'd have bought it a long time ago as I enjoy Hood a lot more than Warspite,.....but at least Warspite is mid-tier so it would allow me to make useful amounts of credits while playing mid-tier, so I went ahead and picked it up.  First battle netted over 800,000 credits, in a Tier VI ship. So, all is well, yes? 

It got me thinking, why doesn't WG offer such camos for more ships, to allow players to boost the premiums they bought, or prefer, to be more useful to them at a cost.  I mean, the camo for Warspite was 5,000 doubloons, more than a low tier premium buy itself and combined with the cost of Warspite almost the price of a Tier VIII premium.  I would certainly purchase such camos for a number of other ships, though I'd rather they looked something like Hood's Type 14 camo rather than the gaudy paint that is the National camo on Warspite. Perhaps it could even be done in a way that spares WG's art team of needing to do work, like buying a token to boost some aspect of an existing permanent camo, sort of how you can improve Heirloom items with tokens in World of Warcraft after you obtain the Heirloom.  Make the cost higher and higher for each boost applied to a camo so that it becomes prohibitively expensive to have one camo to rule them all, or just have a max number of mods a camo can take.

Which then got me thinking about tech tree ships.  Why not offer permanent camos for tech tree ships that turn them, functionally, into a premium ship in terms of being able to assign a captain to them without retraining?  Make the camos have the usual permanent camo bonuses for their Tier (+50% EXP, -10% post battle servicing cost, -3% detectability range by sea, +4% dispersion of shells fired by enemies attacking your ship) and cost the same as a ship of that type and tier.  For example, if I bought such a camo for my Akizuki it would cost as much as a Cossack, Kidd or Le Terrible.  It would still leave the tech tree ship without the earning potential of a premium ship and unable to have a camo with better EXP boosts mounted without the tech tree ship losing its "premium" status.

The short answer is that premium ships also have unique earning bonuses baked in. You can't get those bonuses added to a tech tree ship. The special camos recently offered that are permanent, help reduce the cost of the ship during resupply. But doesn't offer comparable premium XP bonuses except for the ones stated. 

It's just a skin with bonuses. Good to have though.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,312 posts
5,801 battles
5 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

The short answer is that premium ships also have unique earning bonuses baked in. You can't get those bonuses added to a tech tree ship. The special camos recently offered that are permanent, help reduce the cost of the ship during resupply. But doesn't offer comparable premium XP bonuses except for the ones stated. 

It's just a skin with bonuses. Good to have though.

Read what I wrote again.  I specifically mentioned that the tech tree ships wouldn't get those.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,312 posts
5,801 battles

Nobody else would be interested in ways to boost existing premiums or tech tree ships economically speaking?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,716 battles

Consider the amount of money WG could make, if player could use the camo, they think looks best, on the ships they want. Like a 5000 doubloons T10 camo voucher, that let you choose the way your ship looks from the camos you have. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,312 posts
5,801 battles
1 hour ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

I'd like to see camos with some variation in the concealment/dispersion values instead of them all being exactly the same.

There is a very good reason they don't do that.  As it stands you can look at the opposing ship list and know how your DD stacks up in concealment.  Add too many variables and that goes out the window.

Members
823 posts

My favorite premium ship camos are ones from events the other year. For example, the "From the Bottom of the Ocean" and "The Last Conquest" camos for the Bismarck are awesome, as are the "Arctic" options for the Scharnhorst and Duke of York. They just look so dang cool, and are the sort of things that I imagine other players would be interested in as well. 

EDIT: including pictures in case folks haven't seen the camos I referred to

Artic

image.thumb.png.7e63905988c3f2008985720afe2dc732.png

From the Bottom of the Ocean

image.thumb.png.f940b1e2fb1b30b4412de87e83db9695.png

The Last Conquest

image.thumb.png.c115c62d5c1dea64c108289c7a49bf91.png

Edited by guns_at_last_light

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

As a tangent,  WG making all except tier 10 perm camos suck is leaving alot of money on the table.

The tX camos making them quasi premium in terms of credit generation is why they sell.

[GOB]
Members
2,501 posts

I have the Nationals for both Warspite and Grafe Spee.

The thing is,  after I got them i noticed I only use them in COOP.  When I go into a Randoms I use single use camos because the offer a much higher bonus and I have so many.

So unless you want them for COOP use and don't keep a supply of good camos around I don't think the investment is really worth it.

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
149 posts
12,559 battles
17 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I have the Nationals for both Warspite and Grafe Spee.

The thing is,  after I got them i noticed I only use them in COOP.  When I go into a Randoms I use single use camos because the offer a much higher bonus and I have so many.

So unless you want them for COOP use and don't keep a supply of good camos around I don't think the investment is really worth it.

I picked up the National for Warspite mainly for Ops and COOP. I was pleasantly surprised with the payout as well. 

I also wish there were more options like this for some of my more favored ships.

Sign in to follow this