You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Akizuki vs Hsienyang is the most one sided, within type fight I've ever had in this game

21 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,811 battles

Last night I took my new, stock Akizuki into Randoms for the first time.

The first battle went.....poorly.  Two Kitakaze's and a Des Moines vs a stock Akizuki played by a bad DD player (me) did not end well.   My team also seemed unclear on the concept and didn't think caps were worth defending or taking, but the J line was.  We lost.

The second battle as all Tier VIII.  I ended up slipping in and out of C cap to delay the enemy as much as possible.  I wasn't sure which DD was capping, but I knew they also had an Akizuki, which was probably not stock and, playing the odds, played by a better DD player than me.  Eventually his supporting Amalfi, North Carolina, Massachusetts and Hipper got themselves out of position behind and island and I'd caught a glimpse of the DD, a Hsienyang.  Once I saw an opening I hit engine boost and charged his smoke.  When I proximity detected him he tried to get away and, feebly, fight back.  His guns tickled a little, his desperation torpedoes passed behind me, not that they could have harmed me had they been direct "hits", while at the same time my guns ripped him apart incredibly fast.  He was out of the fight in seconds.

I capped C and then defended it as long as I could, sinking the North Carolina, helping sink the Hipper and was engaged with the Massachusetts when we won on points, scoring second place and over 1900 base EXP.

I am sure most gun boat DDs could have done the same thing, but it is the first time I got to do it to one of them and it really seemed unfair to the Hsienyang player.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,410 posts
9,655 battles

I know exactly what you mean.

You can do some monster damage in that, win or lose.

[EQRN]
Members
2,171 posts
19,167 battles

Not being able to torp enemy DDs in their smoke takes away one of the single funnest things one can do in a DD from the PA line.  And since they can’t keep up in the gun dept with most other lines, overall this is my least liked DD line.

• Cool 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,269 posts
16,616 battles
59 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

seemed unfair to the Hsienyang player.

But the Pan asia dd had deep water torp, which devastated to cruiser/bb/cv ONLY

that player you faced just not experiences enough or not playing to the pan asia dd full strength

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,811 battles
Just now, ObiphanKenobi said:

But the Pan asia dd had deep water torp, which devastated to cruiser/bb/cv ONLY

that player you faced just not experiences enough or not playing to the pan asia dd full strength

Or he was in a no win situation and dumped torps in desperate hope I didn't know that and would break off enough for him to escape.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,269 posts
16,616 battles
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

escape.

or his gunnery skills is not equal to your

and least, he did not ram you if not winning that knife fight :Smile_trollface:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,811 battles
5 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

or his gunnery skills is not equal to your

and least, he did not ram you if not winning that knife fight :Smile_trollface:

Akizuki in proximity detection range doesn't require gunnery skills.... :Smile_trollface:

As to ramming me, he sank before he'd have closed the distance, but yes, if he'd not been starting from a standstill that might have been an option.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,781 posts
2,658 battles

Most one sided fight I've ever had in a DD was tier 7 ranked.  Enemy Akatsuki smoked up in the cap as soon as I spotted him in my Haida.  I turned on the Hydro and charged since he didn't have any support. He panicked when I detected him, and ran into the island he was sitting next to trying to get away.  I just parked 3 km away and farmed him to death.  Absolutely nothing he could do to defend himself.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,586 posts
21,091 battles

Just because two ships are destroyers does not make them the same type of ship. Not by a long shot.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,290 posts
19,971 battles

Smaland vs shima .... You gonna die.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,820 posts

Thats one of the reasons for a modified Gearing, Smaland is a good DD.

We fought three Akizukis once in Clan Battle 9x9 and that did not go well. Shima is not particularly a good gunboat but with the bigger hull add on its a chance that it wont survive at stock hull.

I do not do too much DD vs DD where possible because radar is the bigger problem. Once detected and if you are too close you are good as dead.

[ALLY]
Members
353 posts
19,790 battles

To all:

It is not uncommon for Pan Asian DDs to launch torps at another DD to try and get them to react as if they could hurt to give them an advantage.  It does not work at all against a knowledgeable player though as shown by the result.

C130 signing out

Members
354 posts
3,727 battles
7 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Not being able to torp enemy DDs in their smoke takes away one of the single funnest things one can do in a DD from the PA line.  And since they can’t keep up in the gun dept with most other lines, overall this is my least liked DD line.

You know what's more fun?

Farming a DD in his own smoke you should try it sometime

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

One sided fights are 1v1 ranked vs a carrier. I always took my Zeppy into secondary brawling range though. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,123 posts
11,083 battles
8 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Or he was in a no win situation and dumped torps in desperate hope I didn't know that and would break off enough for him to escape.

No, he definitely did not know what he was doing. The first sign is that he used smoke. Smoke is a terrible choice for Pan Asian destroyers. They perform much better when selecting Radar and going open water gunboat. Also, they actually have really good guns, but you were in Akizuki, so big advantage to you due to rate of fire. The best thing a Hsienyang can do to an Akizuki is surprise radar them in their smoke and let their allies finish the Akizuki off. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,457 posts
16,322 battles

If I had to fight an Akizuki in ANY of my tech-tree Pan-Asian destroyers, I would MUCH rather do it in my Gadjah Mada than my Hsienyang.

Hell, if I could take the premiums I'd bring my Anshan. At least that can hit destroyers. (I don't own the Lo Yang.)

0 posts

Hsienyang misplayed. He outspots you by 400 meters and has fast reload pan asian smoke. He should have stayed in open water, approached carefully and used his spotting advantage to zone you out. Alternatively, he could have baited you into firing, smoked up and started farming you, which would force you to smoke up. then he waits for your smoke to run out, at which point his smoke is ready, then repeat. 

Radar would also have been an option, although that requires more team support.

Aki is a sledgehammer, and if you can force decisive 1v1 engagements with same tier DDs, you'll win. But it certainly has its weaknesses. 

Although, yes, I much prefer facing Asashios or PanAsian DDs in it, since I know they can't exploit Aki's vulnerability to torps.

Edited by mrieder79

[WOLFG]
Members
31,410 posts
9,655 battles

As far as the thread title, I'm thinking that the OP never came upon a Mutsuki while driving a Nicholas lol.

[SALVO]
Members
2,720 posts
6,816 battles
11 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Or he was in a no win situation

I mean yeah it was a no win he put himself into though. There is nothing wrong with that in itself, just a natural moment in DD combat.   His option to create a win situation was before he smoked up where you could just charge him. The only option he does have against you is to whittle you down over time using his speed, concealment and massive maneuverability advantages .  Or use Radar to ambush you while you are in smoke , so he can see you but you wont necessarily see him.   In return he also has more torpedo power then you. 

Edited by eviltane

[AAA]
Members
185 posts
19,451 battles

Hsienyang with smoke is all that needed to be said. 

tier 8 PADD is all about getting the enemy DD to pop their smoke then farm them with radar. What you encountered was most likely a very potato player. Equal skill in a stock akizuki, the Hsienyang will win.