You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Did anyone keep a record...

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,480 posts
17,708 battles

… of the ships offered in the Santa Crates for 2016 and 2017. I know that there are players out there that keep their own spreadsheets to keep track of how much fun they are having so it's not outside the realm of probabilities that those lists exist.

I'm curious because my very first Santa Crate ship was the Anshan. Was that on the short list for 2016? It was a gift from someone; did that make a difference?

WG says that a full explaination about the "short list" was made in those years. Many including me don't remember that but back then it really didn't matter because the list of available ships were much shorter back then, you didn't have to spend a ton of money before getting to a ship that you were actually happy to have instead of feeling as though you got the consolation prize.

So now they stopped telling us about the "short list" and the "long list" of consolation prizes has gotten even longer. One chance out of 107 to get any particular good ship seems long enough as is especially since you have less than a 20% chance of getting a ship crate to begin with.

There may have been a good reason for doing it this way in the past but there's no reason for it now. Just the natural odds are in favor of the house; rare ships will continue to be rare even if they do get rid of the gateway "short list".

To continue this practice past this year would confirm... in my mind at least... that WG truly does not care about it's consumer base and is only in this to squeeze every possible penny out of our pockets. Of course WG didn't do themselves any favors by having people pay for a reskinned tech tree ship they could have for free, that only made it more obvious by having a gateway ship that was so worthless to so many.

• Boring 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,408 posts
19,840 battles

I don’t know if Anshan ever appeared on a shortlist, but I do recall in 2016 I think that one of the crates (big I think) would of contained either a Molotov, Warspite, or Emden, and if you already had those, it rerolled a super container containing any premium ship that was currently available at that time (including the only two removed from sale premiums Gremlin and Nicholai)

2017 I believe Krispy Kreme, De Grasse, and Alabama were shortlist ships

2018-20 they for some reason they never disclosed the shortlist (and if they did, this poopstorm wouldn’t be happening) but it appears Haunghe (2018) and Exeter (2019) appeared more often than others 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
9 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

… of the ships offered in the Santa Crates for 2016 and 2017. I know that there are players out there that keep their own spreadsheets to keep track of how much fun they are having so it's not outside the realm of probabilities that those lists exist.

I'm curious because my very first Santa Crate ship was the Anshan. Was that on the short list for 2016? It was a gift from someone; did that make a difference?

WG says that a full explaination about the "short list" was made in those years. Many including me don't remember that but back then it really didn't matter because the list of available ships were much shorter back then, you didn't have to spend a ton of money before getting to a ship that you were actually happy to have instead of feeling as though you got the consolation prize.

So now they stopped telling us about the "short list" and the "long list" of consolation prizes has gotten even longer. One chance out of 107 to get any particular good ship seems long enough as is especially since you have less than a 20% chance of getting a ship crate to begin with.

There may have been a good reason for doing it this way in the past but there's no reason for it now. Just the natural odds are in favor of the house; rare ships will continue to be rare even if they do get rid of the gateway "short list".

To continue this practice past this year would confirm... in my mind at least... that WG truly does not care about it's consumer base and is only in this to squeeze every possible penny out of our pockets. Of course WG didn't do themselves any favors by having people pay for a reskinned tech tree ship they could have for free, that only made it more obvious by having a gateway ship that was so worthless to so many.

Yes the 2016 and 2017 articles are still on the web site and yes they include the description of the most likely ships (short list) followed by the full list.

For me every year has worked out as I thought it would. I have not yet purchased this year as I earn and open all the free crates first. So I typically do not buy the santa crates until near the end of the event.

[WORX]
Members
11,923 posts
19,472 battles
11 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

The math behind this years Santa event, reveals its the must generous event of all the promotions...

Until now, thanks to the "rigged" narrative, the excessive refunds from people who had fairy-tale expectations (not getting the ship they want but they got a ship). I see unfavorable changes to next years Santa Event...

Members
692 posts

not 100% sure but if you check your captains logbook you might find the ships that are available or have been available in the past ...all premiums i believe  ...there are 157 ships there ..so this might give some insight to what could become available in the future ...or not

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,715 battles

I think with the first two times the short lists didn't hurt the players too much. The number of premium ships was small, so you had a good chance to get some of the boats you wanted. Also the ship droprate for the cheapest containers was better then now. I finished 2016 and 2017 my collection with the christmas crates. After that, it turned a bit sour. Too many possible ships and they didn't puplished the shortlist anymore. So for the newer player, that read all about those fabulous ships, tried to get them too, but the chances were much lower. I mean, we had a time, when a new premium ships was something real special and not like three every month. 

Yes, you can get a good number of stuff from the boxes, just don't hope for ships. Or for a certain ship. Using a shortlist and sysing "We did this every year, we thought people know this" isn't good business.