Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

Midway Torp Attack Time: Need Input.

9 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,106 battles

I noticed something strange while watching na_mmvp's stream.

Playing the Midway when I conduct a torp drop I get 10 seconds of attack time...

5rwYq6H.jpg

When he drops he gets 15 seconds of attack time...

oCrw16G.png

5 extra seconds would make a big difference.

I have tried every perm and comb of Captain Skills and Equipment that I can think of but I can't figure out how he is getting 5 more seconds.

Any ideas?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

IF you examine the hud you will find the shorter drop is a slower batch of planes at a stated 128 knots and longer range. When you get to really close at 154 knots the drop is going to take longer so you best get rid of the torps pronto.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Maybe he is going faster? Maybe he turned before the drop? 

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

As said above, it should be TBM 1 in slot 3 - though why you would need an extra 5 seconds on a TB run in the first place is beyond me, 10 seconds I find is more than enough. 

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles
27 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

As said above, it should be TBM 1 in slot 3 - though why you would need an extra 5 seconds on a TB run in the first place is beyond me, 10 seconds I find is more than enough. 

I think that dropping earlier puts you below flak against some ships,  as well gives you some more time while making attacks over islands,  which can gobble up a lot of time during attack run.   Also at times when a primary target "dodges" well'' it will at  allow you mid attack to adjust target to a secondary ship while not having to work through the attack cooldown and reposition planes.    This is rarer.. but does happen at times 

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,106 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

"Torpedo Bombers Modification 1" increases the TB attack run time by +5s. It is located in the 3rd upgrade slot. 

1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

1 hour ago, iRA6E said:

I think that dropping earlier puts you below flak against some ships,  as well gives you some more time while making attacks over islands,  which can gobble up a lot of time during attack run.   Also at times when a primary target "dodges" well'' it will at  allow you mid attack to adjust target to a secondary ship while not having to work through the attack cooldown and reposition planes.    This is rarer.. but does happen at times 

That was it alright!  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
20 hours ago, iRA6E said:

Unfortunately you can't get below flak - the initial dive will help dodge a burst in cases but that's it. As to the rest - I honestly never encounter that - but that's me. Normally if I'm going to attack over an island I factor that in to when I start my drop (better if it times out that I start over the island anyway during the start animation where you can't do anything anyway), and encountering ships 'good' at dodging is in my experience rare - which is why I understand their whining about 'OP CV's that can't be dodged' but at the same time if they played one they might learn that most of them are dodging too early - allowing me to adjust to their dodge before the run starts or as it's starting, or too late, at which point they might reduce hits or alter where I hit them. Plus if I'm attacking where there's a ship close enough for a secondary target, odds are they are so close I still have time or far enough that if I run the time out they'll be ready to attack again unlike DB's now (that stupid nerf to time between attacks has really thrown me off). But if I'm attacking where 2 ships are that close - odds are I'm either desperate from a bad team that's folding, or a good team that's killing them so fast I need to rack damage up to pay the bills since spotting and downing planes don't pay the bills on these ships despite what non-CV players think. 

But again, that's how I roll, I usually add time to the rocket planes because those times are way shorter and after some of the nerfs in handling, need that time. That and a bit easier when DD's are playing hide and seek with their AA on and off so as it is I'm starting attack runs where I can't even see the DD that I may be at that point trailing from the stern. 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
19 hours ago, JCC45 said:

That was it alright!  Thanks to everyone who replied.

That's what the forums are here for! (You might want to go back and append "Solved" to the title of this thread.)

21 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

It's a matter of individual taste, but I got to thinking the OP was primarily trying to figure out the reason for the difference he was seeing.