You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

Coal Ships - Decision TIme

38 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
2,825 battles

Hey everyone.

I finally have enough Coal to purchase one of 3 ships and I'm having a difficult time deciding.  Any insight would be great.

A - Thunderer

B - Moskva

C - Pommern

I thought initially that Thunderer would be my choice, but a down side is that I hate playing in all Tier X matches same for the Moskva

Is the Moskva like a Kutusov at tier 10?

Any suggestions?

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I would say Thunderer just because it's leaving (don't have it yet but plan to get it after the new coupon comes out).

I don't particularly like T10 either or sniping BBs ... but, see above.

I do have Moskva and Pommern ... for pure fun it's Pommern hands down.  I don't enjoy Moskva as much, again T10 ... 

[VORTX]
Members
484 posts
6,874 battles

Thunderer now, Pommern later. 

How long does it take you to grind the goal? I have enough for a tier 9/10 after four or five months of casual 4 or 5 games an evening play. Your individual play style matters a lot too. Personally, I'd rather have a fun ship than a good ship. Then I contradicted myself as I grabbed Thunderer not for play style but because its a great ship and is being pulled soon. Surprised to find out its a fun ship to play as well as being damn good! It's just so damn easy to have "okay" games with it. It is still a challenge to have really great games in it. Pom will be my next one, maybe around March or so unless I take a break from the game. Moskva is a maybe. I just got Petro and it is a really fun and powerful ship too, so I am not so sure about having both as a priority. Moskva offers a different play style than Petro, so who knows. Maybe in March I'll change my mind, but thats where I sit now. 

Members
1,821 posts
27,214 battles

You will make less silver and XP in Thunderer overall since you'll only hit same and lower tier boats. Pompom at Tier 9 will often have a chance of a slight multiplier advantage in hitting T10 boats. That's why I play my T9's very often and only pull the T10's for events like snowflake.

Edited by theLaalaa

Members
95 posts
2,825 battles
6 minutes ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

Thunderer now, Pommern later. 

How long does it take you to grind the goal? I have enough for a tier 9/10 after four or five months of casual 4 or 5 games an evening play. Your individual play style matters a lot too. Personally, I'd rather have a fun ship than a good ship. Then I contradicted myself as I grabbed Thunderer not for play style but because its a great ship and is being pulled soon. Surprised to find out its a fun ship to play as well as being damn good! It's just so damn easy to have "okay" games with it. It is still a challenge to have really great games in it. Pom will be my next one, maybe around March or so unless I take a break from the game. Moskva is a maybe. I just got Petro and it is a really fun and powerful ship too, so I am not so sure about having both as a priority. Moskva offers a different play style than Petro, so who knows. Maybe in March I'll change my mind, but thats where I sit now. 

That was my thought at first as well... just the thought of all Tier X matchups make me gringe.

[SCK]
Members
156 posts
21,725 battles

The Thunderer since its being pulled from the stores. Pommern would be my second choice, although the new Capt skill tree fouls really nerf it. Same for Mosk. It’s getting nerfed too. But you have to take Thunderer here. It’s also one of the best battleships in the game. Getting 180k - 220k is pretty common in the Thunderer 

[RSWF]
Members
105 posts
7,676 battles

I have all 3.  Both BBs are great, but completely different play styles.  Thunderer just because its leaving.

The Moskva was a star performer in Clan Battles, but has been power creeped out of that format.  I've never played it much in Randoms for the same reason.  

Members
95 posts
2,825 battles
1 minute ago, Cody_The_Destroyer said:

The Thunderer since its being pulled from the stores. Pommern would be my second choice, although the new Capt skill tree fouls really nerf it. Same for Mosk. It’s getting nerfed too. But you have to take Thunderer here. It’s also one of the best battleships in the game. Getting 180k - 220k is pretty common in the Thunderer 

Ya I think you're right.

Do coupons expire?

[SRBL]
Members
534 posts
13,483 battles
26 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Hey everyone.

I finally have enough Coal to purchase one of 3 ships and I'm having a difficult time deciding.  Any insight would be great.

A - Thunderer

B - Moskva

C - Pommern

I thought initially that Thunderer would be my choice, but a down side is that I hate playing in all Tier X matches same for the Moskva

Any suggestions?

Get the Thunderer. As people mention it's getting pulled and it's stupid OP in my opinion. It's like an easy button to rack up 200k dmg games. 

[VORTX]
Members
484 posts
6,874 battles
2 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

That was my thought at first as well... just the thought of all Tier X matchups make me gringe.

I don't think its that bad, if anything Thunderer is current meta. Its not like a GK which is opposite the meta. Thunderer you get a 23 second reload with the module, fast turrets, nice rudder shift and a nice heal. You're in business. Seems like its going to be a nice captain trainer to boot.

I do think that t9 is the "magic" tier of the moment. You get great XP and silver and you get a lot of games without CV and you're never bottom tier too severely. 

[META_]
Members
193 posts
2,719 battles
4 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Do coupons expire?

Sort of.  Assuming you're talking about the armory coupons, the coupons are good for six months, but they get refreshed.  The current set is good for about two more weeks.

[SCK]
Members
156 posts
21,725 battles

Yes they expire. I think the new coupons will be awarded in 10 days. I'm waiting to buy the Marceau when that happens. I have the ones you listed already. 

[ROXY]
Members
307 posts

Get Thunder, even if you don't like tier X, Thunder is still fun.

You see a BB, launch salvo and 2 fires.

The BB puts it out, and next salvo it's another 2 fires.

Thunderer gets BBs on fire, ships on fire, and chat on fire.

Good for farming "Witherer"

[CLUMP]
Members
1,216 posts
1,531 battles

The obvious choice is the Thunderer since it will be removed 

30 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Ya I think you're right.

Do coupons expire?

If you mean discount coupon it will go away on 19 from what I have heard :fish_panic:

[WOLF8]
Members
657 posts
9,326 battles

The current ship resource coupon expires on the 18th.  A new one will be issued on the 19th (if you hover the mouse cursor over the coupon, the pop up states "A new coupon will be available on 12/19/2020").

I'd use the coupon sooner rather than later, since WG time always seems to differ from the rest of the world. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Slammer58

[RST]
Members
565 posts
11,855 battles
39 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Hey everyone.

A - Thunderer

B - Moskva

C - Pommern

Any suggestions?

I have all three, currently I am actively playing Moskva in randoms to complete the grind for her ultimate upgrade (1 more good game will do it). I've sort of figured out how to play her and make her work for me, but I don't really enjoy her. And given her heritage (migration from tech tree to premium) I don't think she will ever go away.

Pommern is very fun. But I agree that Thunderer is very powerful and where she is going away (and may never return...no guarantees) I'd take Thunderer.

Members
204 posts
4,341 battles

I am in the same boat, but looking at Thunderer v Georgia. Any advice? I have looked at many posts about this and it seems 50/50. I have zero T10 ships, 1 T9 (Riga), and a few T8 and loads of T7s and below. I am also quite decent in co-op, yet not good at randoms.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,814 posts
1 hour ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Hey everyone.

A - Thunderer

B - Moskva

C - Pommern

Any suggestions?

Thunderer is what you want first. Its one of few ships that are deliberately banned by being removed from the game because everyone has one in battle now. Facing 4 thunderers is routine. Because they flat work. Ive been lobbing long range torps at thunderers killing stuff far behind me inside their territory so much this year its boring maybe. I sink a few now and then. If I am not hunted to oblivion first.

The Pom is the brawler the germans never had. Lots of fun. Its also a ribbion printer machine to get a few hundred in 15 minutes when necessary for the ludicrous mission objectives.

The Moskva will keep a while. Its a little bit of a glass jaw when you catch it broadside.

Wows keep saying they remove ships too good from the game and want more of different ships to play. Well Humans don't play crappy ships. Now if Wows made these hundreds of unplayed ships MORE DANGEROUS in battle... then maybe you will see some of those being deployed in battle.

Edited by xHeavy

[TFFOX]
Members
986 posts
2,179 battles
1 hour ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Hey everyone.

A - Thunderer

B - Moskva

C - Pommern

Any suggestions?

Gonna say thunderer because it's getting pulled. 

[ARGSY]
Members
638 posts
10,329 battles
7 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

I am in the same boat, but looking at Thunderer v Georgia. Any advice? I have looked at many posts about this and it seems 50/50. I have zero T10 ships, 1 T9 (Riga), and a few T8 and loads of T7s and below. I am also quite decent in co-op, yet not good at randoms.

Yep, it is 50/50. Both are good ships and both are easy for an average player to do well in. I am not a BB jock but do enjoy these two.

[BGA]
Members
67 posts
17,159 battles
6 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

Both have 457mm guns(georgia has 3 turrets with 2 barrels, thunderer has 4 turrets with 2 barrels).  Georgia has much better secondaries and can do pretty well brawling, it is also very fast for a BB.  Thunderer works better sniping from the back and is most often used to start fires.

Both are fun ships, you should choose the play style that fits you best between those two.

For the original poster I'd say get the Thunderer since it is the only one of their choices that is getting pulled from the game.  You will likely regret not getting it while you can.

[SIM]
Members
5,591 posts
9,023 battles

Thunderer without question. Not only is it a fantastic battleship, but it’s also about to disappear. You may eventually learn to like tier X matches, but you’ll never learn to like the feeling of letting a great ship slip away. 

Moskva is nothing like Kutuzov, it’s a borderline supercruiser with radar and punchy guns. Pommern is what happens when a Tirpitz and a Bismarck love each other very much. It’s a great ship, but it’s also not going anywhere.

[SIM]
Members
5,591 posts
9,023 battles
13 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

Thunderer is an excellent sniper with devastating guns but terrible armor, meaning that aggressive plays will get you killed in a hurry. Georgia is tougher, with less firepower but a heavy secondary battery and a speed boost. It’s not tanky, but isn’t as soft as Thunderer. If you’re a co-op main then Georgia might be the way to go, since you can get into some fun brawls with other battleships there and really let those secondaries do their thing. 

[SCK]
Members
156 posts
21,725 battles
23 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

That’s a tough choice since they’re both getting pulled right? Personally, like my Thunderer more than Georgia. But both are great ships and like someone else said, it’s probably more about your play style. If you like secondaries, Georgia. If you like sniping from 20k, Thunderer....although the Georgia can do this too, but it seems the Thunderer is better at it. 

I like setting fires with the Thunderer, then switching to AP when you get those broadsides and/or late game when you push in on a flank. 14-17 fires set in it isn’t abnormal at all.