You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKevlar

WOW questions from a new(er) player......

45 comments in this topic

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles

All:

I am a rookie for sure (with approx. 3k battles), and a not so great WR. I began playing to spend some more time with my son, and have really, really enjoyed it. I am older (but not a fossil) and I had some questions I am not completely sure how to ask (please don't flame me too badly):

- I have been the brunt of some bad discourse in chats, and have certainly made some mistakes in many contested matches - especially when I started playing. I have watched some really helpful videos and like to think I am getting better - should new(er) players stay away from PVP matches until they are a certain skill level? (to avoid salt, or negatively impacting other players stats)?

- How would you know when you have reached that skill level? (seems I still make mistakes, even though I understand my chosen ships weaknesses much better). 

- Is it okay to learn while playing PVP? Would it be more acceptable learning and experimenting in the lower tiers?

I enjoy PVP more than anything else because it is far more challenging, but I really don't want to do so at someone else's expense. I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks in advance,

kev

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

It's entirely ok to learn while playing PVP. Those people yeeting salt at you are just idiots and aftholes, don't pay them mind. Everyone's welcome to play this game, that's at once its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. What matters is where you have fun. The fact that you think about these things tells me you're serious enough about doing your best and learning. The only person you should be better than is you from a week ago, that's what matters.

• Cool 11

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,986 posts
5,224 battles
  1. Depends on how much salt you are willing to accept.
  2. See #1.  But be aware that even unicums get flamed and blamed from time to time.
  3. Yes, it's okay.  According to their performance, most Random players are still learning, or need to.  But there's a lot to be said for lower tiers.  (How low is low to you?)  Could you benefit by playing PvE?  I think so.  Your win rate is not bad, but for a cruiser main your hit rate isn't particularly good.  Practicing shooting in Co-op or Training Room would pay off.

Having a mentor to advise would help a lot, I think.

Also, having an expert review a couple of your battles might help.  For that, there is Zath's Replay Theater.  https://www.twitch.tv/lord_zath

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF5]
Members
124 posts
16 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

I am a rookie for sure (with approx. 3k battles), and a not so great WR. I began playing to spend some more time with my son, and have really, really enjoyed it. I am older (but not a fossil) and I had some questions I am not completely sure how to ask (please don't flame me too badly):

- I have been the brunt of some bad discourse in chats, and have certainly made some mistakes in many contested matches - especially when I started playing. I have watched some really helpful videos and like to think I am getting better - should new(er) players stay away from PVP matches until they are a certain skill level? (to avoid salt, or negatively impacting other players stats)?

- How would you know when you have reached that skill level? (seems I still make mistakes, even though I understand my chosen ships weaknesses much better). 

- Is it okay to learn while playing PVP? Would it be more acceptable learning and experimenting in the lower tiers?

I enjoy PVP more than anything else because it is far more challenging, but I really don't want to do so at someone else's expense. I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks in advance,

kev

- the game is great and quite unique despite what you read on social media 

- disable in game chat and use the Canned commands .  Will make pvp stress free for somebody just learning 

- use this forum for : codes and white mouse reviews -  That’s it 

- do what you do to have fun -  whether it’s PVE - co-op, whatever makes u happy 

- have fun.   It’s a simple game about pixel botes

Edited by Blackychann
  • Cool 1

Members
1,872 posts

I don't have that many more battles under my belt than you, nevertheless I would like to give you my answers to your questions:

2 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

I have been the brunt of some bad discourse in chats, and have certainly made some mistakes in many contested matches - especially when I started playing. I have watched some really helpful videos and like to think I am getting better - should new(er) players stay away from PVP matches until they are a certain skill level? (to avoid salt, or negatively impacting other players stats)? 

Don't stay away from PvP (i.e. randoms). Coop is plays very differently compared to randoms, so you simply won't learn anything of value to help you in random games when you stick to coop (apart from simple mechanical skills, like controlling your ship, aiming). What you can do, however, is stay at mid tiers and progress slowly. The escalation of power between tiers and therefore how much mistakes/bad plays get punished increases significantly through the tiers.

Also, diversify. Do not just play single lines or only cruisers, play BBs, CA/CLs, DDs. You do not necessarily have to play CVs but it might help. Playing all surface ship types helps you to understand how they play, their limitations, and helps memorizing important things like vulnerabilities, concealment etc.

4 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

How would you know when you have reached that skill level? (seems I still make mistakes, even though I understand my chosen ships weaknesses much better). 

A bit of statistics helps. Look at your WR, avg damage etc. The point where you are no longer a detriment to your team but can carry your own weight is the point where you can progress higher up. Not just your overall stats, but for tiers/ships. They will be less meaningful due to the strong variation with few games, but help. Overall, it comes down to you being able to influence the battle in a positive manner.

9 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

Is it okay to learn while playing PVP? Would it be more acceptable learning and experimenting in the lower tiers?

Go back to lower tiers to learn, it can't hurt. Don't try to learn basics at T8+, higher tiers are very unforgiving to that.

Overall, from what I can see your mid-tier cruiser WR is okay, but your high-tier cruiser WR etc. is much worse than your mid-tier. So I would suggest play more around T5-T7 in more lines and then slowly go up again.

In general, I would suggest these videos (if you haven't already watched them):

Spoiler

It is a whole series, watch all of them!

• Thanks 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
30 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

If you're concerned, wait until you have an average damage around the same as the ship's HP. Otherwise, don't worry about it. There's enough people who don't give a crap about playing badly, that someone who does, and is trying to improve, gets a pass :Smile_Default:

IMO, what you learn in low tiers is all about moving and shooting, avoiding torps, etc.

The only place you will learn higher-tier gameplay is in higher tiers. You can get away with more in low tiers, so it doesn't really prepare you anyway.

Don't worry about it. Everything you do is at someone else's expense. (though hopefully more often that someone is an opponent lol)

• Cool 1

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,868 posts
21,336 battles
38 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

I enjoy PVP

add me in-game, we div up and blow stuff up together. You will learn quicker that way

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,451 posts
10,192 battles
40 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

I am a rookie

Welcome, we need more like you

should new(er) players stay away from PVP matches until they are a certain skill level? (to avoid salt, or negatively impacting other players stats)?

Not really, you play as you feel more comfortable. If you want to learn PvP you need to play PvP, no other way.. theory will only help you up to some point

Coop will help you learn the basics of your ship: aiming, angling... but won't teach you tactics or any of the subtle stuff that makes the core of  PvP. Paraphrasing Sun Tzu, Coop is about knowing yourself, Random is about knowing your enemy

Yes. The tier system is there to guide you in your learning process, lower tier gameplay is simpler, with less variable you need to consider. The higher you go, the more complex the gameplay is and might be daunting. I really advice you to resist the urge to push through the tiers faster than you feel comfortable to do it (that would be surviving until late match in most of your matches).

Your concern is appreciated. I recommend you spend some time at T5 to develop your gameplay, play multiple lines.

Edited by ArIskandir

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
33 minutes ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

Thanks in advance,

kev

My take on it.

When you're learning, PvE is just for the basics, learning how to shoot, angling, reading the mini-map, ect... After that, it's for crash testing ships, getting missions done, ect...

After that, go ahead and go into PvP, just stay at a low tier until you are comfortable moving up.

The real thing to avoid is diving into a tier that's over your head. Shiny new tier 8 premium into a tier 10 match, when you've got tier 3 skills. That will generate some unwanted salt coming your direction.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,577 battles

Co-op is mainly for relaxed atmosphere. I know some players do that or Training room when trying out new ships.

PvP is its own lake, and even longtime players like me get a painful reminder sometimes about various tactics, such as positioning. Low (1-4), mid (5-7), and high (8-10) tiers each have their own skill sets. Play where you feel most comfortable.

If doing your ship's HP in damage, generally, you're doing well enough at 3K battles.

Can add me for divs in-game, I don't mind tutoring. Mostly a CR player, but have dabbled enough in most all lines (except French DD and German CV) to give some feedback.

[WSU]
[WSU]
Members
88 posts
20,122 battles

Your stats look exactly like mine or better 3K games in.  IMO the only way to get better is to play randoms.  Bots teach you to shoot and not much else.  I use coop to complete missions faster not too get better.  Also I'm not sure that I entirely agree with those telling you to stay at mid tiers because your stats are better there.  It has been my experience that the strategy at lower tiers is not necessarily translatable to higher tiers.  Maps are different, boats are different, etc.  Your stats will get better at each tier the more games you play in that tier.  I'm more of a lone shark than most so don't div much, but if you can find players like some of the above who have shown a willingness to div with you then that is a great way to learn and at same time improve your stats.  

As far as in game salt.  There sometimes is some knowledge in it, but often it is just whining or scapegoating.  At this point I'm fairly certain you have figured out which is which.  Ignore the unsavory part of it and benefit from the knowledge part.  In the end this is a game.  Most old guys like me play to decompress from stressful real world lives, not get more stressed.  Keep sailing and have fun.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

PVP is not only fine, but preferred.  Gotta "get gud" as they say...and the only way to get gud is to...well...play.  Videos and discussion only go so far.  The real learning is playing. And playing against live SALTY people is great, 

That said, don't move up too fast to the higher tiers.  There is a lot of learning to be had at the lower tiers.  And a slow progression allows you to learn the new nuances as the tiers get higher.  Gotta have the fundamentals learned in the low tiers to do well in the mid tiers.  Gotta have the fundamentals in the mid tiers to do well in the high tiers.

But EVERYONE is new at some point.  EVERYONE plays their FIRST game in a new tier. So expect some disappointment as you try to figure out the higher tiers.  Take the salt.  Learn from mistakes.  It can be as steep learning curve...but if you stick with it, you'll climb up. 

I personally give anyone T5 and lower a lot of slack.  These are learning tiers where failure is an option. And often expected. T5 is sort of a transition tier.  When you reach T6, you'll still make mistakes...just not the ones made in the lower tiers...fundamentals.

Treat every game as a learning experience.  Think about what worked.  What didn't work.  What you did correctly. What you didn't do correctly.  What you can do in that situation next time.  You will never reach the point where you play perfectly.  You will reach a point where your errors become less and less.  But you'll still have those games where you say to  yourself..."that didn't work as I thought it would work".

Also, you will eventually reach a point where you become one with the game.  And just know what to do...where to go...and how to kick butt.  Took me about 10000 games and between two and three years to get there.  I still potato here and there.  But most games, I feel really good about what I'm doing.  Some better than others.  But overall, lots of confidence. 

And it's very cerebral. A lot of WOWS isn't about what you see happening on the screen, but what's ACTUALLY HAPPENING unseen.  Good players react properly to what they see.  Great players react properly to what they don't see, but know enough to know.  The ability to out think and out maneuver an opponent you can't see...that's a great feeling.   

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles
2 hours ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

Thanks in advance,

kev

Not as old as I am...................

[B_Y_F]
Members
857 posts
19,379 battles

As many already mentioned, you're very welcome to play and practice in PvP.

Actually, IMO PvP is the only way that you'll truly learn and level-up your skills. Learning by playing vs bot in coop often develops bad habits. There are only two useful abilities you can learn from coop, shooting target sailing in a line and super close brawling(like how to prepare your gun when drive by, where to aim your AP and when/where to torp). 

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
5 hours ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

Thanks in advance,

kev

Sir, human versus human online play has gotten toxic in some ways in the last 20 years or so. So you are just seeing part of what it is today. What I worry about is that children see these words and frankly dont need to be. And thats the damage. There will always be a percentage of players who are toxic and a blacklisting usually eliminates them from chat. If its really horrible I simply disable chat for the night. Just a couple days ago one was giving me a hard time in my DD at game start in random not even a minute into the game hes going off using bad words at why am I going this way with DD.

To use the fewest words I told him I joined up with a like DD who I remembered from the previous match and we work well together, Im not married to you so and so (The toxic player talking abusive etc) reported same and blacklisted same. As it turned out he was summarily sunk. It is what it is. I just don't need to hear it some days.

Further the moderation or supervision of players have evolved to where its really dangerous to give back both barrels with words what you received from Mr Toxic. But it cannot be helped sometimes and there is a three day ban that comes with it when you have had quite enough of it.

I say you can type or you can shoot game enemies. I prefer to spend time thinking about the fight that is evolving and shooting, not typing at a anklebiter spewing toxic stuff. Ive heard all about that in a life time of trucking and give back equally sometimes. Its not acceptable. But this is the state of our fine internet gaming today and it will not be any better tomorrow.

People are under alot of tension for one reason or another and bring it into the game which is supposed to be a escape. Thats does not end well. Whatever their problems are.

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
15 hours ago, Lert said:

It's entirely ok to learn while playing PVP. Those people yeeting salt at you are just idiots and aftholes, don't pay them mind. Everyone's welcome to play this game, that's at once its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. What matters is where you have fun. The fact that you think about these things tells me you're serious enough about doing your best and learning. The only person you should be better than is you from a week ago, that's what matters.

Thank you for the reply Lert, much appreciated!

I don't want to sound too old, but I think the main difference here is that none of the games I have played in my youth until now have been team based - where the outcome in part was dependent on others. Maybe that's the biggest difference. I wish I could tell you it doesn't bother me when there's a negative comment or two (but it does). 

Thanks again for your time!

kev

Members
1,004 posts
8,620 battles
16 hours ago, yeastie_kevbeastie said:

All:

Thanks in advance,

kev

Down load a mod to turn off chat.  then don't worry about it.

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
15 hours ago, iDuckman said:
  1. Depends on how much salt you are willing to accept.
  2. See #1.  But be aware that even unicums get flamed and blamed from time to time.
  3. Yes, it's okay.  According to their performance, most Random players are still learning, or need to.  But there's a lot to be said for lower tiers.  (How low is low to you?)  Could you benefit by playing PvE?  I think so.  Your win rate is not bad, but for a cruiser main your hit rate isn't particularly good.  Practicing shooting in Co-op or Training Room would pay off.

Having a mentor to advise would help a lot, I think.

Also, having an expert review a couple of your battles might help.  For that, there is Zath's Replay Theater.  https://www.twitch.tv/lord_zath

Thanks for the comments!

Right now, I think tier 5 - 7 is the most comfortable (my favorite ships at the moment are the Graf Spee and Scharnhorst)….even though I am still trying to get the Scharnhorst figured out completely!

And I know I need a lot of help with hit rate - I have a lot of trouble with angled targets and leads, I think its mostly getting the elevations right (they seem really crucial). 

And thanks for the review suggestion - I will definitely look into it!

All the best,

kev

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,666 posts
30,277 battles

All:

Thanks in advance,

kev

Welcome

Keep playing randoms while you have fun, that's the ultimate objective

Your main goal at this moment is improving your accuracy which will lead to more damage and then to higher XP.

Consistency and survivability, is on what you'd should focus. Positioning and map awareness are learn abilities, that improve just playing.

I have my replays enabled so I have the chance to review what I did wrong in a battle

Most important thing is having fun, so try not to burn yourself setting objectives too high

Fair seas

Members
349 posts
7,066 battles

Bear in mind most of the salt you will get will be from dead guys. They ALWAYS know how to play your ship better than you (said tongue in cheek). 

My best advice is to listen to what they are salty about & decide if they are right or wrong in their complaints & learn from it. Often times people will just look at the moment & make a snap decision on if you are right or wrong. They dont know (or care) about the series of events that put you where you are in that match.

Lastly I use a yardstick of sorts that I have developed to decide if I was effective in a match. I call it the Ten Thousands rule. In a nutshell, you should have done 10000 damage by match end for every tier of ship you are in. i.e.: T8 ship do 80k damage, T10 100k.  This of course is in addition to pushing & defending caps. Not just hanging back farming damage. If you just camping & farming damage increase it by 50%. 

If you are able to do that every match you should have no regrets about how you performed in a match, you pulled your weight IMO. 

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
16 hours ago, Reymu said:

Co-op is mainly for relaxed atmosphere. I know some players do that or Training room when trying out new ships.

PvP is its own lake, and even longtime players like me get a painful reminder sometimes about various tactics, such as positioning. Low (1-4), mid (5-7), and high (8-10) tiers each have their own skill sets. Play where you feel most comfortable.

If doing your ship's HP in damage, generally, you're doing well enough at 3K battles.

Can add me for divs in-game, I don't mind tutoring. Mostly a CR player, but have dabbled enough in most all lines (except French DD and German CV) to give some feedback.

Good morning Reymu:

Thanks for the comments! 

Okay (I am going to show you just how game / computer illiterate I really am! LOL)….I don't know how to add someone to a DIV?

I occasionally play in division (I think) with my son, but would really appreciate some help regarding the details if you could - would really appreciate the chance to play with you and get some feedback for sure.

Thanks, all the best,

kev

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
9 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

Bear in mind most of the salt you will get will be from dead guys. They ALWAYS know how to play your ship better than you (said tongue in cheek). 

My best advice is to listen to what they are salty about & decide if they are right or wrong in their complaints & learn from it. Often times people will just look at the moment & make a snap decision on if you are right or wrong. They dont know (or care) about the series of events that put you where you are in that match.

Lastly I use a yardstick of sorts that I have developed to decide if I was effective in a match. I call it the Ten Thousands rule. In a nutshell, you should have done 10000 damage by match end for every tier of ship you are in. i.e.: T8 ship do 80k damage, T10 100k.  This of course is in addition to pushing & defending caps. Not just hanging back farming damage. If you just camping & farming damage increase it by 50%. 

If you are able to do that every match you should have no regrets about how you performed in a match, you pulled your weight IMO. 

I think the most recent example would be the Scharnhorst - I am typically around 50k - 70k in damage most battles, but from your comments that would be on the light side I think. 

I know this ship is a little bit of a special case, but it's so hard to know when to effectively push with it - I guess that's part of the whole experience and learning part of the puzzle. Sometimes it works out well, and other times I am afraid I am a potato for sure. I know I am no where near 100k typically in tier 10 ships though, or even 90k in tier 9's.

Thanks for the comments,

kev 

[META_]
Members
263 posts
3,329 battles

As a fellow Newb,

• A nice statistical marker would be a 50% WR - with a decent battle count - in the current tier before thinking of advancing to the next tier.
  • Another marker would be having a Captains skill points progression.  For example, based on feedback from this forum, I will not jump into a Tier V ship till I have earned a 10pt Captain - attaining that 10 pointer via a ship purchase or drop is definitely cheating :-).
  • Similarly, if either your damage or your frag count imply a one for one at your current tier think about moving up.

Camping a tier forever also has it's issues.  It can get depressing, boring, or unsatisfying in so many ways.  You can also earn so much 'Newb debt' that the above breakpoints might be rather silly.  I mean, if you float around in Tier VII without a clue for a thousand games and then get serious about learning than the above may hinder your advance - even though you are ready for it.  So, judgement prevails.

I'm a guy that just broke into Tier V so take my yammering with a ton of salt.  To me it looks like you know how to win enough at Tier VII to stretch into Tier VIII.  One of the things I would look at and be honest about is the divergence in game count and the rather thin experience width wise in the tech tree.  You really focus on cruisers.  That is all good if you really want to be good at cruisers, but there is a lot more content out there.  Additionally, you might just become a bit better at cruisers with gameplay in other classes.

Finally, break out the salt/advice like this:

Upon receiving salt/advice find the chap on the mini-map

1. If chap is not on the mini-map then internally challenge the advice - it is likely frustration salt, but not all dead players are dumb players
  2. If the advice is salt then ignore it.  You probably figured out that pushing your cruiser into three battleships wasn't your best idea
  3. If the advice has a pearl in it add the guy to your contacts list, thank him, and if he responds decently keep him there.
  4. If you get lots of 'advice' really think about your lanes of advance and your decision making process.

Happy Hunting

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
10 minutes ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

As a fellow Newb,

• A nice statistical marker would be a 50% WR - with a decent battle count - in the current tier before thinking of advancing to the next tier.
  • Another marker would be having a Captains skill points progression.  For example, based on feedback from this forum, I will not jump into a Tier V ship till I have earned a 10pt Captain - attaining that 10 pointer via a ship purchase or drop is definitely cheating :-).
  • Similarly, if either your damage or your frag count imply a one for one at your current tier think about moving up.

Camping a tier forever also has it's issues.  It can get depressing, boring, or unsatisfying in so many ways.  You can also earn so much 'Newb debt' that the above breakpoints might be rather silly.  I mean, if you float around in Tier VII without a clue for a thousand games and then get serious about learning than the above may hinder your advance - even though you are ready for it.  So, judgement prevails.

I'm a guy that just broke into Tier V so take my yammering with a ton of salt.  To me it looks like you know how to win enough at Tier VII to stretch into Tier VIII.  One of the things I would look at and be honest about is the divergence in game count and the rather thin experience width wise in the tech tree.  You really focus on cruisers.  That is all good if you really want to be good at cruisers, but there is a lot more content out there.  Additionally, you might just become a bit better at cruisers with gameplay in other classes.

Finally, break out the salt/advice like this:

Upon receiving salt/advice find the chap on the mini-map

1. If chap is not on the mini-map then internally challenge the advice - it is likely frustration salt, but not all dead players are dumb players
  2. If the advice is salt then ignore it.  You probably figured out that pushing your cruiser into three battleships wasn't your best idea
  3. If the advice has a pearl in it add the guy to your contacts list, thank him, and if he responds decently keep him there.
  4. If you get lots of 'advice' really think about your lanes of advance and your decision making process.

Happy Hunting

Thanks, much appreciated. 

I think I like Cruisers the best because (and I'm probably mistaken here) they aren't expected to carry the game as IMHO say BB's are. It just feels like the pressure is lessened in game somehow. 

From what I have seen over time though, its the DD's who have the biggest influence regarding the outcome of most matches. A great DD player can absolutely turn the tide. 

And I think the salt would not be taken to heart so much if it wasn't at least a little based in fact LOL! 

I have met and conversed with some really great and helpful people in game though - it has for the most part been an awesome thing to be a part of. It was those interactions that led me to some of the training videos and materials that were the most helpful (Potato Quality was the most recent, up until that point I had no idea what a Potato was - or that I was one! LOL)

All the best,

kev

[RADVS]
Members
112 posts
9,925 battles
16 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

add me in-game, we div up and blow stuff up together. You will learn quicker that way

I will! but as I mentioned before (to Reymu), I am not quite sure how to add someone?

Thanks for the offer and the reply - I will try to figure it out and add you for sure!

kev