You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Tanman

Spotted By Air - Can't see the fighters

9 comments in this topic

[FT]
Members
292 posts
14,295 battles

At one minute in, I get spotted by torp planes. They fly off and I am still detected. My detection pulses on and off, so I assume there are fighters. But where are they? There are ship all along the torp planes flight path.

20201209_135227_PBSB510-Thunderer_51_Greece.wowsreplay

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

Thunderer has an unmodified spotting by air range of 12.53 and planes have spotting ranges that is typically 10 km but can be a bit less so they were probably dipping in and out of that 12.5 detection range.

Edited by BrushWolf

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Look at your minimap on the replay, it may show the red circle of the fighter drop, or the reticle of the circling fighters.

Apologies if not, I’m not really up on exact spotting range for dropped fighters.

[-THG-]
Members
2,623 posts
8,016 battles

Hakuryu torpedo plane can get sub 6.8 km concealment.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
40 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

At one minute in, I get spotted by torp planes. They fly off and I am still detected. My detection pulses on and off, so I assume there are fighters. But where are they? There are ship all along the torp planes flight path.

Just as ships have detection ranges, so too do Carrier planes have their own detection ranges.  And if planes are spotting your ship but you can't see the planes, it just means that the planes' detection range is lower than your ship's.

It's not unlike a stealthy DD being able to spot a big, fat BB without being seen in return by said BB.

[KSC]
Wiki Editor, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
468 posts
11,417 battles

German carrier fighters are so stealthy they can keep many high tier cruisers lit while circling so close to the ship they're actually within the long range aa aura. 

For some absurd reason this is deemed to be "fine". The fighters minimum detection is 4.5km, for reference. 

See the old discord qna for a really mediocre response to the question I posed on this exact topic. 

Yeah. It's sorta dumb. 

Not seeing planes inside your aa range. 

• Cool 1

[FT]
Members
292 posts
14,295 battles
23 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

German carrier fighters are so stealthy they can keep many high tier cruisers lit while circling so close to the ship they're actually within the long range aa aura. 

For some absurd reason this is deemed to be "fine". The fighters minimum detection is 4.5km, for reference. 

See the old discord qna for a really mediocre response to the question I posed on this exact topic. 

Yeah. It's sorta dumb. 

Not seeing planes inside your aa range. 

Thank you for the explanation! But What?!?!? That is stupid that you can't spot planes that are inside you AA firing range. So fighter are not only fighters, they are perma spotting tool. 

• Cool 1

[RSL]
Members
897 posts
13,676 battles
5 hours ago, Mister_Tanman said:

Thank you for the explanation! But What?!?!? That is stupid that you can't spot planes that are inside you AA firing range. So fighter are not only fighters, they are perma spotting tool. 

Congrats, you have stumbled onto one of the many issues players have with CV mechanics: Fighter spotting.

[ARR0W]
Members
6,147 posts
32,910 battles
1 hour ago, SirPent13 said:

Congrats, you have stumbled onto one of the many issues players have with CV mechanics: Fighter spotting.

Normally I do not ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity, but when it comes in constantly and consistently from one direction, it must be intentional. 

The rework wanted carriers broken. What nerfs to CVs that have come since have been the result of a constant barrage of examples, expositions, and expostulation about JUST HOW BAD they actually made it.