Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Efros

Stalingrad, Shikishima or Bourgogne?

15 comments in this topic

[CO-OP]
Members
1,845 posts
26,634 battles

With the Snowflake event about to start it seems I can get up to 8175 steel which takes me within striking distance of Shikishima (about 3600 short) or Bourgogne (about 1600 short) and actually within owning distance of the Stalingrad. So which should I go for?

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,311 posts
10,136 battles

I am working towards the Shikishima although a very long way to go....I think between the overmatch and the (apparently) excellent secondaries this could be a blast to play in Coop battles...

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles
19 minutes ago, Efros said:

With the Snowflake event about to start it seems I can get up to 8175 steel which takes me within striking distance of Shikishima (about 3600 short) or Bourgogne (about 1600 short) and actually within owning distance of the Stalingrad. So which should I go for?

I have burger and Shiki and have plenty of experience playing and working with Stalys from CBs. Each has their strengths and I believe no ship is bad, but I endorse Bourgogne so much more than Shiki. Probably my favorite ship in the game between the speed, reload booster, and broadside weight she carries. Each has their own strengths though.

• Stalin is a phenomenal choice for CBs and I think will always be a staple in the game mode (though last season she was almost fully powercrept by Petro). I'm a BB main by a decent margin, but I think if battle cruisers are your thing she does not disappoint. Definitely the most used in competitive (ranked/CBs) of the 3 options
  • Shikishimas 510s are worth it for the sound alone. They gain little to nothing for overmatch, and at the cost of having 3 less guns I don't find it worth it. If I'm going for competition, Ill take Yamato any day. Her secondaries with IFHE are the best in the game with their DPM combined with 32mm pen, and 20k dmg citadels are priceless, but realistically speaking she doesn't have a lot of use imo. A good collectors ship for the fun and memes, that about it. 
  • Burger is my baby. Battle cruiser on the higher end of things. Actually faster and stealthier than a Stalingrad, which I still find humorous. The ability to rocket out to flanks and pump 36 380mm rounds into broadside in the course of 25 seconds is PRICELESS. Brutal in ranked and randoms alike. Gives up too much tankiness to have practical use in CBs, but still is great fun for meme comps:Smile-_tongue: The hands down obvious choice for co-op play as well due to the variety of amazing tools at her disposal. 

12 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

I am working towards the Shikishima although a very long way to go....I think between the overmatch and the (apparently) excellent secondaries this could be a blast to play in Coop battles...

Yeah, you may get more secondary damage, but the ability of Bourgogne to pull nearly 40 knots rushing in, and the ability to delete multiple bots consecutively with reload booster is going to pay off far more than a slow lumbering Yamato that is reliant on secondary's. I've played dang close to every BB in the game Bourgogne IS the best co-op ship hands down. 

TL;DR there is no best ship, but if there was it would be spelled B-O-U-R-G-O-G-N-E

[CO-OP]
Members
1,845 posts
26,634 battles
24 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

• Shikishimas 510s are worth it for the sound alone.

I know it is kinda sad but this is one of my primary reasons for lusting after the Shiki.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[COOP2]
Members
359 posts
9,207 battles
19 minutes ago, Efros said:

I know it is kinda sad but this is one of my primary reasons for lusting after the Shiki.

Well Efros, the advantage you have is you can make any of the ships you are considering work, so it doesn't matter as much which ship fits a particular playstyle, or which has the best chance of having an impact, or what premium will fit with your ship lineup best.

You can go more with want/desire than need, so if that's the case perhaps get those 510mm guns and have a blast (literally and figuratively).

[PVE]
Members
12,886 posts
26,955 battles
1 hour ago, Efros said:

I went for Bourgogne and it is amazing for Co-op. It's an Alsace on roids. I just have no interest in Shikishima or Stalingrad. I can only say I don't regret getting Bourgogne at all. Love it.

Also, FWIW, keep in mind that stages of the upcoming Dockyard you buy out give both RB pts and Steel so there is another avenue for you if interested.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
23 minutes ago, Efros said:
48 minutes ago, _BBaby said:
  • Shikishimas 510s are worth it for the sound alone.

No it is not sad, it is in fact something many want. That sound is phenomenal! 

50 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Stalin is a phenomenal choice for CBs and I think will always be a staple in the game mode (though last season she was almost fully powercrept by Petro). I'm a BB main by a decent margin, but I think if battle cruisers are your thing she does not disappoint. Definitely the most used in competitive (ranked/CBs) of the 3 options

Question, why is Stalingrad almost fully power crept by Petropavlovsk? I have Petro, and I like how low she is and her 360 guns, but her dispersion and penetration seem lacking at times. I've faced Stalingrads a few times in Randoms and Ranked, and they always have this amazing penetration even if I am very much angled from them. 

53 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Burger is my baby. Battle cruiser on the higher end of things. Actually faster and stealthier than a Stalingrad, which I still find humorous. The ability to rocket out to flanks and pump 36 380mm rounds into broadside in the course of 25 seconds is PRICELESS. Brutal in ranked and randoms alike. Gives up too much tankiness to have practical use in CBs, but still is great fun for meme comps. The hands down obvious choice for co-op play as well due to the variety of amazing tools at her disposal. 

I have Jean Bart, and MBRB and Speed Boost is really fun. How would you describe their differences? I've faced Bourg also in Randoms and she's one of the ships that the mere sight of her alone on the team roster list while the match maker is loading the battle screen is enough to give me pause. Really challenging to duel against because of her extra 4 guns. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,194 posts
10,553 battles

Keep in mind that Stalingrad, like all other CBs, is going to be significantly affected by the loss of survivability skills under the new captain skill system. You may want to hold off on acquiring her until the dust settles.

Edited by Nevermore135

[CO-OP]
Members
2,313 posts
26,816 battles

The decision depends mostly upon your own tastes.  

Stalingrad is a real solid cruiser, and is the oldest of the trio you mentioned.  So, she is likely the most likely to leave the armory.

Bourgogne is also a solid choice.  She has an engine boost, reload boost.  You can even brawl with her 25 secondary guns.

Shikishima seems to be a meme ship.  In spite of her 510mm guns, Yamato can still out DPM her because Shiki has one less barrel per turret.  

Members
10,739 posts
18,462 battles

I have wanted the Stalingrad since it came out but it seems that I will probably opt for the Bourgogne from what I am reading here.

[1984]
Members
4,467 posts
21,506 battles
2 hours ago, Efros said:

Or plymouth?

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
3 hours ago, Hukom said:

Question, why is Stalingrad almost fully power crept by Petropavlovsk? I have Petro, and I like how low she is and her 360 guns, but her dispersion and penetration seem lacking at times. I've faced Stalingrads a few times in Randoms and Ranked, and they always have this amazing penetration even if I am very much angled from them. 

Stalingrad has a very vulnerable raised citadel (very easy to hit and citadel with any large enough AP shell and AP bombs or rockets), is a bigger target to hit in general, is more sluggish, and has battleship fire/flood duration. Petro doesn’t have the accuracy at range or the overmatch, but it has cruiser DOT duration, faster reload, and the citadel is much more difficult to hit (waterline and spaced). 

Stalingrad was a top pick in the one BB no CV seasons because it gave a way to get around the one BB limit for crossfires. But now that you can take multiple battleships if you want crossfires, and especially now that we have carriers with AP bombs and rockets that can chew up an isolated Stalingrad, it’s fallen out of the meta at higher levels. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,794 posts
25,049 battles
4 hours ago, Efros said:

I've been told several times in game how cool Shikashima's guns sound.

4 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Shikishima seems to be a meme ship.  In spite of her 510mm guns, Yamato can still out DPM her because Shiki has one less barrel per turret.  

For the purpose of PVE:  If it was left for the guns, Yamato's 460mm x9 is on par with Shikashima's 510mm x6 main battery.  Shikashima's 510s don't have any significant Overmatch advantage that Yamato-class 460s don't already have.

In main battery:

+ Shikashima shells do more damage, 19.8k vs 14.8k

+ Both with MBM3, Shikashima reloads very quickly at 23.76 seconds while Yamato is at 26.4 seconds.

- There will be times you'll curse Shikashima for having only 6 rifles.  Yamato firing 6-9 gun salvos is more dice rolls to get hits.  Of course to protect the Citadel, Shikashima may not be able to use all 3 turrets, so sometimes you're looking at 4 gun salvos.

Outside that, the real key difference is the Secondary Battery as Shikashima's is vastly superior.  I have a 14pt Fubuki Shirakami captain that I split between Yamato and Shikashima, both BBs are Secondary Spec but with MBM3 in Slot 6.

Shikashima's secondaries have better range (11.08km vs 10.09km) and the 100mm guns shoot much faster and have far superior Pen than the 127mm guns of Yamato, 30mm vs 21mm Pen..

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CO-OP]
Members
1,845 posts
26,634 battles

I just realized the ship coupons are being renewed in the next 12 days or so which would give me a 25% discount bringing all of them within immediate reach!

:Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Efros

Sign in to follow this