Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bigbear72us

WoW Crates vs WoT loot boxes

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

8
[TBB]
Members
4 posts
4,185 battles

This is my first Christmas with WoW and around my seventh with WoT.  My $75 in WoW crates got me the following: 19K in coal (must of been on the naughty list), 3700 gold, and the rest flags and camos.

$75 in WoT loot boxes provided the following:. 2 newly released tier 8 premiums, 1 newly released tier 6 premium, 5 newly released styles (permanent in WoT), 5 million in credits, 18k in gold, and 50 days in premium time.

The difference between the two has left a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to WoW and will be very apprehensive about any further purchases when it comes to any sort of box/crate promotion.

Edited by bigbear72us
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,067
[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles

Which crates did you buy?

The more complaints like yours I see, the more it makes me think this is really about an entitlement complex towards easy premium ships.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[WOLF7]
Members
79 posts
2,438 battles
18 minutes ago, bigbear72us said:

This is my first Christmas with WoW and around my seventh with WoT.  My $75 in WoW crates got me the following: 19K in coal (must of been on the naughty list), 3700 gold, and the rest flags and camos.

$75 in WoT loot boxes provided the following:. 2 newly released tier 8 premiums, 1 newly released tier 6 premium, 5 newly released styles (permanent in WoT), 5 million in credits, 18k in gold, and 50 days in premium time.

The difference between the two has left a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to WoW and will be very apprehensive about any further purchases when it comes to any sort of box/crate promotion.

Me and you are in the exact same boat this is my first year WoWs Also and there is no comparison.  The WOT Christmas crates absolutely blow away the ones you get in this game it's not even close by comparison. 

I was amazed at how little the dabloons they give out in this game, no credits maybe some coal,  maybe some free XP but they bury you with camouflage,  it's hard to believe it's the same company.

 

Not to mention in world of tanks you're almost guaranteed to win one of the new tanks not something from 2016 that's out of the meta like in this game and I'm pretty sure I have two to three years of premium time from Christmas crates alone.

 

Just to be clear I am not complaining nobody held a gun to my head and forced me to buy the crates no complaints just making a comparison It's a night and day comparison for being the same company that was my only reason for posting.

Edited by Filthywon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,020
[HINON]
Members
13,815 posts

I spent a little less than that and got 2 t8 ships and a t6. However, I don't touch WOT with a 10 ft pole.

 

d13c7552-fa97-49e8-80da-ae789eec0240_text.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,300
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which crates did you buy?

The more complaints like yours I see, the more it makes me think this is really about an entitlement complex towards easy premium ships.

Well, unless he had 2 typos it's a mix of them because 19k coal and 3700 dubloons can't be generated by and number of a single type. But then again - Warships is the only one of the two where there is an option. He'd also have to be rounding given the way tanks crates are sold (there's no way to actually spend 75 dollars as they are sold in groups but average out 2 dollars a go).

 

But that aside - Each of those WoT crates guarantees 250 gold, a level 5 and a random decoration (that helps unlock other things from the event faster like trained female crew, xp missions, blueprint fragments, etc), and either more gold, various premium tanks, premium days, 3D style (basically akin to this games unique perma-camo's far as I can tell that cost gold or have no other way to be obtained in game at this time) or a chunk of credits, about the only thing in the boxes you can farm in some way, shape, or form. 

It doesn't matter what boxes you buy for ships - signals and camo's, even the special signals, get handed out for missions, events, etc for nothing throughout the year, the holiday specific ones will show up as usual to get from things unless Wargaming changed something that likely won't go over as well, and the camo's are the disposable single use ones, not permanent. Coal can also be obtained, for free, just doing daily normal stuff, missions, etc. Free XP - again, grindable, if annoying given the low values, but missions and all help that too. The only things of actual monetary value that can't even semi-regularly be obtained for free are premium days, dubloons, and ships - non of which are guaranteed. 

Assuming he obtained the minimal amount of crates for around 75 dollars at 36 crates, he is assured 9000 gold  and 3.6 million credits, if he has the absolute worst luck rolling 100k credits 36 times. It'd be the least cost effective manner to do so - but he'd still be able to get a tier 8 premium or several lower tier ones. 

The same 72x 1 dollar or 24x 3 dollar crates in WoWs with the same bad luck - 96-244 camos that you could get from missions and all during the season, and aren't exactly amazing and are generally similar to others handed out during different events in terms of bonuses they just look more Christmas/New years-y. The least suck bad roll would be 360 of the special signals from 3 dollar containers. 

 

Sure, anyone buying these is looking to get a ship, that goes without saying like at their core, anyone who plays the lotto is looking for the big money so they only have to work if they want to. But aside from the lack of good will the WoWs dev and management teams have right now from the player base aside - people are going to be understandably ticked off when all they get for spending 10, 20, 100 dollars on crates, is a bunch of signals and coal they grind out daily through the year anyway. Unlike where on the Tanks side - even if RNG shafts you with credits only those crates still have the safety net of your getting 250 gold out of the crate, and elements toward maybe some other in-game things. It's flying about more this year because sure, it's the same as every other year they've run this scam - but after the CV rework, Puerto Rico and the rest - people are done with Wargaming's nonsense and have been jolted awake to the reality. There'd sure, be some salty because no ship, others just looking to contiue their anger over all the rest on the nonsense - but if the WoWs Santa crates were like the WoT ones, with 125, 375, and 625 for the 1, 3, and 5 dollar crates respectively (equal to what WoT is doing price wise for theirs) - you likely don't have this issue because even with getting nothing but signal flags, coal, and camo's you get normally - your still getting dubs toward a ship, or XP conversion, etc. 

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[TBB]
Members
4 posts
4,185 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which crates did you buy?

The more complaints like yours I see, the more it makes me think this is really about an entitlement complex towards easy premium ships.

Not entitlement, but value for my dollar.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[TBB]
Members
4 posts
4,185 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Well, unless he had 2 typos it's a mix of them because 19k coal and 3700 dubloons can't be generated by and number of a single type. But then again - Warships is the only one of the two where there is an option. He'd also have to be rounding given the way tanks crates are sold (there's no way to actually spend 75 dollars as they are sold in groups but average out 2 dollars a go).

 

But that aside - Each of those WoT crates guarantees 250 gold, a level 5 and a random decoration (that helps unlock other things from the event faster like trained female crew, xp missions, blueprint fragments, etc), and either more gold, various premium tanks, premium days, 3D style (basically akin to this games unique perma-camo's far as I can tell that cost gold or have no other way to be obtained in game at this time) or a chunk of credits, about the only thing in the boxes you can farm in some way, shape, or form. 

It doesn't matter what boxes you buy for ships - signals and camo's, even the special signals, get handed out for missions, events, etc for nothing throughout the year, the holiday specific ones will show up as usual to get from things unless Wargaming changed something that likely won't go over as well, and the camo's are the disposable single use ones, not permanent. Coal can also be obtained, for free, just doing daily normal stuff, missions, etc. Free XP - again, grindable, if annoying given the low values, but missions and all help that too. The only things of actual monetary value that can't even semi-regularly be obtained for free are premium days, dubloons, and ships - non of which are guaranteed. 

Assuming he obtained the minimal amount of crates for around 75 dollars at 36 crates, he is assured 9000 gold  and 3.6 million credits, if he has the absolute worst luck rolling 100k credits 36 times. It'd be the least cost effective manner to do so - but he'd still be able to get a tier 8 premium or several lower tier ones. 

The same 72x 1 dollar or 24x 3 dollar crates in WoWs with the same bad luck - 96-244 camos that you could get from missions and all during the season, and aren't exactly amazing and are generally similar to others handed out during different events in terms of bonuses they just look more Christmas/New years-y. The least suck bad roll would be 360 of the special signals from 3 dollar containers. 

 

Sure, anyone buying these is looking to get a ship, that goes without saying like at their core, anyone who plays the lotto is looking for the big money so they only have to work if they want to. But aside from the lack of good will the WoWs dev and management teams have right now from the player base aside - people are going to be understandably ticked off when all they get for spending 10, 20, 100 dollars on crates, is a bunch of signals and coal they grind out daily through the year anyway. Unlike where on the Tanks side - even if RNG shafts you with credits only those crates still have the safety net of your getting 250 gold out of the crate, and elements toward maybe some other in-game things. It's flying about more this year because sure, it's the same as every other year they've run this scam - but after the CV rework, Puerto Rico and the rest - people are done with Wargaming's nonsense and have been jolted awake to the reality. There'd sure, be some salty because no ship, others just looking to contiue their anger over all the rest on the nonsense - but if the WoWs Santa crates were like the WoT ones, with 125, 375, and 625 for the 1, 3, and 5 dollar crates respectively (equal to what WoT is doing price wise for theirs) - you likely don't have this issue because even with getting nothing but signal flags, coal, and camo's you get normally - your still getting dubs toward a ship, or XP conversion, etc. 

You are right about me rounding off the figures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
802
[LOU1]
Members
4,227 posts
12,518 battles

Historically, WOT was stingy and WOWS was generous.  It seems that during the Holiday activities starting last year, that reversed.  While WOWS is pretty generous (in my opinion) throughout the year, the Holiday "haul" has not been quite as generous as I remember it a few years ago.  On the other hand over at WOT, Holiday boxes have become "the bomb" the last two years.  As a disclaimer, I have almost every Premium ship available except for most of the ones this year and, LOL, Makarov (which I have wanted for a while).  The vast majority of the ships came from Holiday boxes.  It was also not fun that Premium time was removed from the boxes last year.  Now you have to use Doubloons from the boxes to buy Premium time. 

In all fairness, WOWS feels more generous throughout the year while the grinds and rewards in WOT can be frustrating and irritating.  In spite of that, I still survive most of the year on the haul from both games.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1 post
1,530 battles

According to this post, you have until Dec 13th to request a refund for the Santa Crates.   I stopped giving my money away 3 years ago.  

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/230805-santa-crates/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
855
[HELLS]
Members
2,751 posts
29,441 battles
47 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It was also not fun that Premium time was removed from the boxes last year.

That's funny. I got 180 days' Premium in a box....last year and this year as well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
802
[LOU1]
Members
4,227 posts
12,518 battles
12 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

That's funny. I got 180 days' Premium in a box....last year and this year as well....

Thanks, I thought it had been removed, but you're correct.  I have even purchased Santa Gifts this year and have read over all of the information on it several times.  I wonder what the heck I was thinking of - somewhere Premium Time was removed from something... 

(Probably best if I stay of the forum while working from home).

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
297
[PVE]
Members
1,121 posts
9,552 battles

OP, your haul  from the crates sounds about average to me. That's why I haven't spent money here for 2 years or so. Getting a Krasny Kreme for XMas was the last straw for crates for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
581
[O2]
Members
397 posts
9,790 battles

Let me get the popcorn and a few cans of coke as all the apologists respond to this one. I expect the "oh crates are not about ships" and "I only buy crates for camos" and the favorite "WG never promised any ships". Ready. Go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
477 posts
12 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

Let me get the popcorn and a few cans of coke as all the apologists respond to this one. I expect the "oh crates are not about ships" and "I only buy crates for camos" and the favorite "WG never promised any ships". Ready. Go ahead.

WG's resident wang warmer already did that as the first reply. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,551
[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The more complaints like yours I see, the more it makes me think this is really about an entitlement complex towards easy premium ships.


So all those crates are FREE. crap! Can I still get the free ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
477
[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
1 hour ago, Toxygene said:

Let me get the popcorn and a few cans of coke as all the apologists respond to this one. I expect the "oh crates are not about ships" and "I only buy crates for camos" and the favorite "WG never promised any ships". Ready. Go ahead.

 

47 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

WG's resident wang warmer already did that as the first reply. 

Not having an issue with the whats in the crates and the odds of getting those items doesnt make one an apologist. Defending this massive company that had no issues not disclosing a rigging of the crates however? That makes you an apologist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,323 posts
3,255 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Maybe WOT is having to work harder to retain players?

WOT works a lot harder for player retention. Besides the santa crates, which are much more generous (you get 250 gold each one plus other goodies), every fall they do a well reserved reward promotion, based on years in the game. If you've been in a few years, you get a decent T6 tank, along with bonds (like coal/steel), cash, consumables. 

Shame that WOW doesn't put the same effort into player retention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×