You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hsholic

Suggestion on the compliment/report karma system

11 comments in this topic

[QC_1_]
Members
2 posts
3,087 battles

The karma system should be able to help improving our gaming experience. However, this system cannot do this work at all.

Karma does not have any value. Players have zero motivations to get it, since it cannot bring players any rewards. It even cannot be shown off, since other players cannot see your karma.
Suggestion: 
1) Give karma some values, like economic bonus. e.g. 50 karma = 1% ship cost reduction, 10 ranks, cap at 10%.
2) Karma rank can be displayed as a medal or symbol in the lineup panel, or a special obvious flag can put on the ship.

Karma system is abused. Hard to get compliment, but too easy to get reported.
Lose in DD duel, get reported by teammate.
Sink a Smolensk by one salvo in my Yamato, get reported by opponent.
Play CV, get the most exp in team, get reported by both teammate and opponent.
Suggestion:
1) Limit the privilege of reporting. e.g. only top 5 exp on the team can report.
2) Add a section in game result panel. AI can pick 3 ships as candidate, player can choose one from them to compliment.
3) Give some reward for players doing compliments. e.g. Every 50 complimenting = 1 container

I really hope this karma system can work as expected to improve our gaming experience.

Members
729 posts
61 battles
22 minutes ago, hsholic said:

Karma system is abused. Hard to get compliment, but too easy to get reported.

you cannot abuse Karma, anymore than it is intended to be abused

see my sig for details.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
19 minutes ago, hateboat said:

you cannot abuse Karma, anymore than it is intended to be abused

see my sig for details.

Actually it is regularly abused such as clicking bad play for the CV because you hate CV's.

Members
729 posts
61 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Actually it is regularly abused such as clicking bad play for the CV because you hate CV's.

see my guide.
This is not abuse.

Karma is there to be used, no justification is required, neither for compliments nor for reports. 

The entire ethos behind the karma system is to allow players a safe, non instrusive, way to express feelings (thus reducing chat abuse), but also a convenient way to promote good behaviour.

The only exception being the automated chatban feature, which itself has such safeguards that abuse is virtually impossible.

This doesn't mean I like the Karma system, but I don't like the alternatives either. 

[CK5]
Members
1,496 posts
15,890 battles

OP, your first point is that karma has no value and that some value should be attached to it.  Your second point is that karma is absurd.  

Why would you want to assign value to an absurd game mechanic?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,158 posts
10,394 battles

You mean the guy that finished at the bottom because he was team killed at the start can't give negative karma?

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
10 posts
229 battles

My Karma is commonly a binary number = 0 or 1. When I play DD go to 0 faster than playing CL/CB or BB (I am not playing CV too much). I would like to have a nicer value... I never had more than 8. Most of the time when you play "good" nothing happens. When you play "horrible" (easily with DD, during a crowded cap), well the karma - 1 seems to be always readily detecting that. Lately, I have more 0's than 1s, because I was doing too much steal killing without knowing it. Now I try when possible to be aware of it. In this last case,  I believe this karma exotic concept helps me to be less selfish.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,313 posts
26,816 battles
1 hour ago, hsholic said:

Suggestion:
1) Limit the privilege of reporting. e.g. only top 5 exp on the team can report.
2) Add a section in game result panel. AI can pick 3 ships as candidate, player can choose one from them to compliment.
3) Give some reward for players doing compliments. e.g. Every 50 complimenting = 1 container

I really hope this karma system can work as expected to improve our gaming experience.

1- This means that if I get TKd and don't make it to the top 5, I can't report the TKer for unsportsmanlike conduct.  In addition, there are things where your performance is irrelevant, (e.g. abusive language.)

2- This makes no sense.  You should not be asked to compliment someone arbitrarily.

3- This might have some merit, but I could see where this could be abused.

[SEAL]
[SEAL]
Members
50 posts
11,747 battles

the simplest way to avoid abuse is don't allow your enemy rating you, if it accept both positive and negative from your team, and only positive from enemy, it should be much better. I believe this system have huge potential, and we'd better keep it away from any real benefit.

Members
1,324 posts

Karma is rated as useless because it is useless.

Anyone can abuse it and does nothing to the receiver.

If you really want to be judged by strangers that's your problem.

This is a game where karma means nothing.

Karma was added by insecure neophytes.

Karma has in this game no meaning,and should remain that way.