You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Frustrating When Teamkill Penalty is Honestly Not Your Fault

18 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
401 posts

I know people say it's always avoidable but I don't think that is true. I rarely damage a team member and usually if it happens it's just bumping boats by accident when we are both scrambling to dodge incoming torps or something. However, today I received a 2 game penalty for shooting a team mate that honestly I didn't consider my fault. In fact I wasn't even sure what happened so I had to go back and investigate my own game to see what went wrong because in the heat of battle when I got the message I was zoomed out and didn't realize what went on. At least now I know but upon seeing it I was taken aback at how I am blamed for the mistake. I was sitting behind an island with my nose pointed in the direction of the oncoming ships. I was just firing my front guns setting them on fire and there was a small gap between me and the island. I mean it was really small, just enough so my shells didn't hit the side of it and I was using the island so I could shoot and not be detected. I sat there a full 2 minutes zoomed out shooting at several different targets as they came into range and that's when I saw the message.

Apparently a DD on my team decided to slip in the small space between me and the island as he was going from west to east. Why he didn't just slide behind me as I was firing I have no idea. He got hit with 3 of my shells and I did 2487 damage to him. That was enough for me to receive a 2 game penalty. I mean I had sat there for at least 2 minutes and when I started my barrage he was no where near me. So he consciously decided to slide into the small opening and cross in front of me as I was firing steadily. I don't understand it but I'll do my breast cancer awareness time and get over it. I just wanted to vent that sometimes the system is a bit unfair. I'm not sure why we can even shoot our own team to begin with. Why could they just not make it to where friendly fire has no effect. I guess it's to keep it as realistic as possible but it would eliminate a lot of drama, that's for sure.

If your curious I was in a Hindi and he was in a Gearing but in the end this is just a vent and I'll cya in game

• Haha 2

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles
7 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Why he didn't just slide behind me as I was firing I have no idea. He got hit with 3 of my shells and I did 2487 damage to him

You shouldn't blame the people you shoot.  You're the one responsible for the trigger.

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
1,378 posts
9 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

I know people say it's always avoidable but I don't think that is true. I rarely damage a team member and usually if it happens it's just bumping boats by accident when we are both scrambling to dodge incoming torps or something. However, today I received a 2 game penalty for shooting a team mate that honestly I didn't consider my fault. In fact I wasn't even sure what happened so I had to go back and investigate my own game to see what went wrong because in the heat of battle when I got the message I was zoomed out and didn't realize what went on. At least now I know but upon seeing it I was taken aback at how I am blamed for the mistake. I was sitting behind an island with my nose pointed in the direction of the oncoming ships. I was just firing my front guns setting them on fire and there was a small gap between me and the island. I mean it was really small, just enough so my shells didn't hit the side of it and I was using the island so I could shoot and not be detected. I sat there a full 2 minutes zoomed out shooting at several different targets as they came into range and that's when I saw the message.

Apparently a DD on my team decided to slip in the small space between me and the island as he was going from west to east. Why he didn't just slide behind me as I was firing I have no idea. He got hit with 3 of my shells and I did 2487 damage to him. That was enough for me to receive a 2 game penalty. I mean I had sat there for at least 2 minutes and when I started my barrage he was no where near me. So he consciously decided to slide into the small opening and cross in front of me as I was firing steadily. I don't understand it but I'll do my breast cancer awareness time and get over it. I just wanted to vent that sometimes the system is a bit unfair. I'm not sure why we can even shoot our own team to begin with. Why could they just not make it to where friendly fire has no effect. I guess it's to keep it as realistic as possible but it would eliminate a lot of drama, that's for sure.

If your curious I was in a Hindi and he was in a Gearing but in the end this is just a vent and I'll cya in game

Good map awareness would have caused you to notice he was moving in front of the arc of your guns, you would have zoomed out and saw he could have been hit by your shells, you would have moved to a different position where your shells would not hit him and the game would have progressed as usual, but without you turning pink for 2 games. The mini-map in the lower right corner is your friend and best source of information. Always keep one eye on it, even more so when you are zoomed in. Don't become so focused you forget your surroundings. 

[ARGSY]
Members
31,062 posts
29,291 battles
13 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

I know people say it's always avoidable but I don't think that is true.

I had a battle recently where I finished pink and couldn't for the life of me figure out where it happened. Like you, the damage was done by gunfire and I think it probably happened while I was zoomed in.

Yeah, I agree, it's a pain in the aft - but better this than the trolls and griefers getting away with it scot-free.

Members
349 posts
7,066 battles

Its nearly always avoidable. Ive gone pink exactly 3 times in the last 4yrs & 2 of the 3 were my fault. 

The 1 time that I feel wasnt truly my fault I was in a BB & a CA slid past me close enough to trade paint going the other way just as I was firing. I did around 5k damage to him & had to wear pink for 2 matches. There is nothing I could have done to avoid it so falls into the catagory of stuff happens. The other 2 times were injudicious torp use. If there is a chance you will hit a teammate with torps all things being equal you probably will so its best to not fire them.  

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

Sure, sh*t happens every now and then.  So let's say you TK someone once, twice a month?  No problem.  But if you are getting turned pink on a weekly basis, sometimes even more in that same time span, then you got some issues with how you play.

Torpedoes is typically the weapon most prone for TK.  I remember doing a lot of bad drops TK'ing people when I was a new scrub playing my DDs in low and mid tiers.  It became embarrassing, but I got better.

It's much harder to do it with guns.  The last time I TK'd someone with guns was in my Battleship, a long time ago.  I was scoped in on a target.  I didn't notice the masts scrolling by the bottom of my scoped view.  I fired my guns at a distant target and I got the notice that I just did team damage and killed a teammate.  A friendly DD was trying to drop smoke to cover my BB and I blasted him.  He was right next to my ship's broadside when I fired, got out of scoped view and saw his sinking hull right next to me.  I felt so bad afterwards...

Again, s**t happens.  Just as long as you're not making this a regular problem, you'll be fine.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,534 battles
41 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Well, it’s akways “your own fault,” but...

the way I see it, if a guy wants to pass between me and a target I am actively engaging, then he must want to pass between me and a target I am actively engaging.

I had a teammate pass between me in my Atlanta and a red ship (in co-op), upon which I was blazing away. My thinking was “if that’s what you want, then that’s what you want. I kept on sending my shells where they were going before... he could see the trajectory of my shells, and must have wanted to be in that trajectory.

[--K--]
Members
275 posts
15,062 battles

Unlike launching torpedos I can see this one not being your fault.  Realistically, it's such a small penalty and doesn't hurt anything.

I got a guy pink and a teamkill on accident in coop.  I was rushing a BB to torpedo him and ate an AP shell from a Pommern 18k away thanks to the poor german dispersion.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles
50 minutes ago, Sventex said:

You shouldn't blame the people you shoot.  You're the one responsible for the trigger.

Your ordnance your responsibility. Zoom out regularly to make sure that friendly ships are not getting in front of your guns or torpedoes.

2 minutes ago, DM31 said:

Unlike launching torpedos I can see this one not being your fault.  Realistically, it's such a small penalty and doesn't hurt anything.

I got a guy pink and a teamkill on accident in coop.  I was rushing a BB to torpedo him and ate an AP shell from a Pommern 18k away thanks to the poor german dispersion.

Still his fault for not looking around every so often.

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
1,156 posts
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

He probably got in front to launch torps. I have accidentally shot friendlies because of binocular blindness. Just chat an "oops sorry" and move along. 

[CO-OP]
Members
5,197 posts
43,292 battles

This sort of thing happens a lot, but mostly when both parties are so focused on the enemy that they don't realize where their allies are.  The result is someone straying into the line of fire of an ally without realizing it.  Still, technically the shooter's fault, but a simple apology should suffice.  Do your 2 games to wash off the pink and move on.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

Yeah that mechanic was made because there are people out there that like griefing people in games :Smile_hiding: It got so bad in World of Tanks that wargaming remove team damage completely from the game :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by LastRemnant

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles
3 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Yeah that mechanic was made because there are people out there that like griefing people in games :Smile_hiding: It got so bad in World of Tanks that wargaming remove team damage completely from the game :Smile_popcorn:

Which only made the griefing worse.  Now you can ram a tank from beginning to end and not be penalized or shot

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

Which only made the griefing worse.  Now you can ram a tank from beginning to end and not be penalized or shot

I wouldn't know I stop playing after they add french wheeled tanks :fish_sleep: I had mostly played Heavys and TDs but those things flying around the map what's the point :Smile_sceptic:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

Still your fault, but way less egregious than the people who poop torps everywhere without looking.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

The teamkill penalty isn't designed to find fault. It's designed to penalize the person that did the damage. Whether it's intentional team murder, accidental team manslaughter, or player griefing is something that the game cannot accurately determine. If I sneeze and bump my mouse and shoot someone (has happened) the game won't know that was an accident. :cap_fainting: