You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CptRammingSpeed

Perspective from a "newer" player

6 comments in this topic

Members
106 posts
4,025 battles

We all see the posts all the time of people complaining about other's play or others criticizing their own.

I thought I would share some perspective that I don't see talked about much and that is true for at least me. First, let me say I think I'm not a very good player but, I have been learning and showing improvement, my overall win rate is 47.xx% but in my last 82 games (previous 21 days) that has jumped to 51% and my average damage has increased by over 40%.

Nothing to brag about, but as I've been trying to learn and apply said stuff, I find myself having a very different perspective as I slowly progress:

Before all of this, I'd get so frustrated seeing BB's sitting way in the back, sniping. I'd get frustrated seeing DD's that wouldn't cap.

I've tried to diversify my play more this year and with it, I've gotten to know the ships more -more importantly, how many are supposed to be played. With this new understanding, now when I see a Thunderer, Musashi, Yamato, etc in the back, I know they are playing the ship the most effective way. 

When I see a gumo that's hanging back, I'm not surprised knowing how much damage they take compared to other DDs and their horrid detection radius.

When I start a match, knowing these things helps me manage my own expectations as I have a better idea how each flank will play based on the ships present. This has also dramatically helped me feel less frustrated when I see things that without said experience, would make me inclined to think players were hiding/not contributing, etc..

I'm early in my career here compared to most in terms of the # of battles (been around since beta but haven't played a fraction as much as many of you), I think some people who have played long enough might forget, many are unconsciously incompetent, we don't know what we don't know and that general lack of knowledge leads to frustration as you end up with a distorted perception of the gameplay and your teammates.

It's been an interesting experience as I've started to get a better understanding of this stuff and figured it would be worth sharing as I don't see this often discussed. 

• Cool 5

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

Just by looking at your own improvement instead of blaming your team you have already taken the most important step in getting better. You can't fix the random teammates you get each battle, but you can sure fix yourself.

• Cool 2

[PMWC]
Members
247 posts
9,315 battles

good to see you learn as I am trying to learn too.

you know who has the time to blame all teammates? the first one to die.

and a lot of them complaining other ship not supporting them.

they either not read the map or not playing their ship right.

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Good on you OP.  The simple wanting to merely improve oneself will take you much further than what most of the players on this game have.  At that point, doing that and reading up on information to help you make decisions will easily get you to be a decent to good player.  Keep it up, any player who has this mindset should be celebrated for being around.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Just by looking at your own improvement instead of blaming your team you have already taken the most important step in getting better. You can't fix the random teammates you get each battle, but you can sure fix yourself.

This many times over! The player to worry about is yourself.