You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Padoru_

What is the purpose of the def AA?

30 comments in this topic

Members
491 posts
10,529 battles

Hi captains! It's been a while since I took a break in 2016 or 2017 (don't remember well). I have been playing some games and I realized that there was a rework of CVs and AA works differently now.

When I play german cruisers without hydro, and with Def AA, seems quite useless this decision. so. What is the purpose of this consumable now?

thanks!

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,767 posts
46,000 battles

By design it is working as intended.  WG needed to nerf it so that low skilled players could be relevant in the game and the CV mafia would stop complaining.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
491 posts
10,529 battles
1 minute ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Ahuh.  You've played around 1,000 games since October at least and now you ask?  Or is this a sneaky anti-cv post?  Touché sir.

1000 games and I still don't know what is def AA used for

[BONKS]
Members
4,814 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, atl_grunge said:

What is the purpose of this consumable now?

Placebo.

Use hydro instead if possible.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
633 posts
4,288 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Use hydro instead if possible.

Especially German hydro. Easy choice.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester
584 posts
15,528 battles

The technical answer is that DFAA increases your continuous AA by 1.5x and increases flak damage by 4x. Expect to shoot a few more planes down per strike. 

The practical answer is that DFAA is mainly effective vs. lower-skilled players who don't dodge flak. DFAA rarely stops a strike by itself, which is a problem if a MvR comes over and say rockets your AA spec DM for 20k damage. 

DFAA is widely regarded as ineffective at stopping attacks, so hydro is always recommended over it. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[NONE]
Members
4,225 posts
3 hours ago, atl_grunge said:

Hi captains! It's been a while since I took a break in 2016 or 2017 (don't remember well). I have been playing some games and I realized that there was a rework of CVs and AA works differently now.

When I play german cruisers without hydro, and with Def AA, seems quite useless this decision. so. What is the purpose of this consumable now?

thanks!

No use whatsoever. If you have an alternative like hydro or something, take it.

AA is nothing but a placebo.

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
486 posts

US tech tree DDs get the 100% continuous damage bonus instead of the regular 50%. That's about it.

Edited by Admiral_Bingo

[DAS]
Members
1,084 posts
15,939 battles

It is something pretty for the planes to look at before they bomb your a** back to the stone age.

• Funny 2

[MAPIA]
Members
551 posts
10,771 battles
4 hours ago, atl_grunge said:

thanks!

Decoration 

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

US tech tree DDs get the 100% continuous damage bonus instead of the regular 50%. That's about it.

And you should still take the speed boost since that is more useful against planes than DFAA.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

And you should still take the speed boost since that is more useful against planes than DFAA.

I disagree. The DFAA will quickly wipe any dropped fighters for spotting, which helps you go dark against the ships that the planes have spotted for, after the squadron leaves. At the very least, you'll shoot down another plane or two. It's not much, but it's something.

Speed boost is of even less utility. Exactly zero, except maybe in French DDs.

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles
9 hours ago, atl_grunge said:

What is the purpose of this consumable now?

It's a useless button designed to make you feel better.

il_794xN.2276310628_pylp.jpg

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

It adds DPS, reducing the time available for the CV to strike, or increasing the plane cost of doing so. Depending on the base AA of the ship, this may or may not mean @#$%@!%, as 50% of a small number is... yeah.

• Thanks 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles

Its not going to stop any 1st strike in most ships.. perhaps a few of the AA efficient ships.. maybe Halland or Minotaur.   Even then....  probably wouldn't against a competent pilot.    What it will do is more than likely make repeat attacks from same squad a lot more costly or completely prevent them.    I would still question its use if hydro is an option...     Your pretty much assured of seeing enemy torpedo boats..  you are not assured of seeing a red CV.   

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,806 battles
10 hours ago, atl_grunge said:

thanks!

It pretty much does what it says, +50% to continuous AA damage and +400% damage from flak. It no longer interferes with aim. The important thing is it is only a multiplier and multiplying small numbers may not be worth it. The more your AA is buffed the better DFAA will perform for you. Depending on the ship you may want to swap it out. 

German cruisers have ok AA but their powerful hydro is generally a better option. On the other hand, in my American CAs I take captain skills and AA upgrades and those plus DFAA suffices to keep same-tier CVs from getting more than one strike in (and forcing them to take noticeable plane losses to do it ). That is more useful to than the crappy 3-4km hydro that they sport. 

Honestly, I do wish they would come up with something that is more consistently useful and interesting for DFAA. Maybe have it throw up a different type of flak clouds that obscure the ship briefly so that it is a bit harder to hit form the air, or something. 

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Adding 50% of effectively Zero is still Zero.