Sign in to follow this  
Lert

Chuck Yeager, legendary pilot, first one to break sound barrier, dead at 97

7 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,285 battles

The United States Airforce officer, ace pilot and record setting test pilot Chuck Yeager passed away yesterday at 97 years of age.

Chuck_Yeager.jpg

I first learned about this man playing the flight sim game named after him, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

chuck-yeagers-air-combat_25.png

<Edit> Ninja'd by Markk9

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 2
  • Sad 6
  • Boring 1

Members
15 posts
523 battles
31 minutes ago, Lert said:

The United States Airforce officer, ace pilot and record setting test pilot Chuck Yeager passed away yesterday at 97 years of age.

Chuck_Yeager.jpg

I first learned about this man playing the flight sim game named after him, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

chuck-yeagers-air-combat_25.png

<Edit> Ninja'd by Markk9

Did you ever read (not watch) "The Right Stuff"?

[WOLF5]
Members
1,312 posts
10,158 battles

I always thought that a real moment was missed to play tribute to this man in the movie Captain Marvel where she was walking through the BlockBuster Video store and came across the movie "The Right Stuff" and picked it up and looked at it. I thought that she should have then said "atta boy Chuck" or something like that as according to her history she would have certainly both known about him and also met him in her training.

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,121 posts
11,822 battles

Men like like Chuck Yeager don’t come along very often . He lived some life God bless him and his family . 

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,185 posts

His vision aided him incredibly in his flying. @clammboy is correct. The men in his generation (that of my dad's) were men. <o Chuck. Godspeed.  

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,204 posts
4,766 battles

Gen. Yeager could have been the first American in space.  Instead, he chose to keep flying rather than become "spam in a can". 

I think The Right Stuff is Tom Wolfe's best book, in no small part because of the subject matter.

R.I.P.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,852 posts
17,461 battles

I was listening to a story about Chuck Yeager years ago. He had a sense of humor. The person was talking about talking to Chuck, and Chuck commented about having a test pilots breakfast. He asked him what was that. He said Chuck told him “a cup of coffee, a aspirin, and a puke.” LoL 

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this