You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SoothingWhaleSongEU

Recommendations for next line to grind.

9 comments in this topic

Members
317 posts
25 battles

Sorry for the somewhat cliched subject but as a break from lootbox drama and CV hating.

I'm about to hit 5000 Random battles on my main account and just bought the Halland. I am a BB main (50% BB, 30% Cruiser, 20% destroyer) but at this stage I'm happy to try different playstyles.

I've generally been relaxed about tech tree grinds this year, only bothering with one at a time and mostly playing the premiums I like.

My tech tree grind is nicely spread sheeted thusly. What do people recommend I grind next?
image.png.cd6bb749aac2157f7038927cf72de343.png
As for Gearing, Kaba' and Harugumo, this was mostly a decision that the tier 9s are in a happier place. Less so perhaps for Gearing but I like my Fletcher a bit too much to sacrifice the 19pt captain.

My short list (hah!) vaguely includes

French Destroyers: Pew Pew! Zoom! Zoom!  I have Le Terrible and really enjoy it but ironically this makes me feel less inclined to bother grinding with the actual tree when I can play it instead, although I know Mogodor and Kleber are good.

British Destroyers: Cap colonisation.

French Cruisers: Pew Pew! Zoom! Zoom! A bit unsure how they compare to the cruiser lines I've already finished.

Soviet Heavy Cruisers: Balanz! I know they end with the very competitive Petro. Less sure how fun they are in Randoms.

Bit on the fence about:

Friedrich der Große and Großer Kurfürst: Whilst I feel I should like them, being a Battleship main who likes brawling. I mostly got the impression they get to grant the authentic Viking funeral experience. I quite like having my dedicated Captain on my Bismarck (even if I don't play it much anymore) and I do have ShinyHorse, Odin, Massa and Georgia for the brawling itch.

IJN Cruisers:  A similar issue with Le Terrible in that I already have Atago B and 2 ARP Myokos to play. I like them but unsure if I'm fussed enough to go through Ibuki to get Zao. And nothing looks more Ninja than Atago B.

British Heavy Cruisers Aside from super heals and good concealment I haven't heard them bringing a great deal that's more interesting than other cruiser lines.

Either US cruiser lines. I know they end with good ships but not a fan of the slow ballistics and found them quite difficult to use. But then again they were the first tier 8 cruisers I played and I'm vastly more experienced now.

I can't say I'm overly interested in:

Grinding DM Donskoi again, got Moskva

Further in the PA Destroyers, as I believe they're pretty similar to the US.

Kansas etc. I should play them to maintain my status as a true BB main but really I feel they trade too much for big salvos.

Carriers: I only have Furious and Weser as WG gave them to me. Don't mind playing them in Co-op but not interested in Randoms.

Regrinding for RB.

So, vague solicited advice?

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU
  • Thanks 1

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles

My (admittedly biased, as a self declared cruiser main) thoughts:

I definitely enjoyed the French line, especially the t8 and t9. They're primarily flanking ships that can use both HE and AP effectively and (with the reload booster and good aim) can punish broadsides quite well. To me, they felt a little like the German cruisers did (especially Yorck and Hipper as well as Hindy), but with a slightly less kiting focused role. Henri definitely feels a lot clumsier now with the nerfed acceleration, but once you get going you can still do a lot of work.

As far as destroyers go, one of the almost universal recommendations is the UK line if you like ambushing enemy DDs and securing caps for the British Empire. They're also (at least at higher tiers once they get the short cooldown smokescreen) somewhat able to protect themselves against planes by almost always having a smokescreen ready to deploy if you get caught in the open. I don't personally have much experience in them (or destroyers in general compared to battleships and cruisers), but if you know how to ambush DD they're great ships once you get to higher tiers.

Even if you don't plan on finishing the IJN Line, I'd at least recommend getting up to Mogami. You'll need a dedicated IFHE captain for it ideally, but 155 Mogami is arguably one of the few light cruisers to definitely come out ahead in the IFHE rework and is an absolute blast to play. If you're in t10 battles the range sometimes feels limited, but when you're top tier or can play around cover to get closer, you can make the enemy ships regret getting into your firing range.

I also personally loved playing both Buffalo and Seattle (and absolutely love my Des Moines), but both t9s are generally considered to be more painful to play than either their t8 or t10 neighbors. However, both lines end in very strong and fun ships even if they're no longer meta in higher level competitive. I never felt the slow shells were painful (outside of Worcester at long range against actively dodging targets), but I had spent a lot of time playing NC and the rest of the high tier US BB line by the time I resumed my US cruiser grinds that I was used to the slower shells.

Personally, unless you're looking to play competitive, I kind of agree with your feelings on the UK CA line. Goliath became part of the meta this last CB season because of the heal's staying power and the good HE performance against mostly bow in targets (aka Petros), but I honestly haven't seen many of them in randoms outside of the few patches after their release. They're good ships at what they do, but compared to other cruiser lines there isn't a whole lot that I feel sets them apart.

• Cool 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,893 battles

From the list I would definitely recommend the French and British DD lines. They play differently but they are absolute monsters and super enjoyable. As for Kansas: skip it and get Minnesota. She has the same slow speed and poor armor, but her firepower is SO much better than Kansas that imo it makes her much more palatable.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
3 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

My tech tree grind is nicely spread sheeted thusly.

That's a very nice spreadsheet. 

What's your credit situation? With Christmas Snowflakes fast approaching, I'd be tempted to get the researched T10's in port if silver wasn't a limiting factor.

You do mention playing the carriers in co-op. Are you a co-op main with some dabbling in Randoms, or do you straddle all the modes pretty evenly? 

Now that you're more experienced, why don't you go back and take another poke at the US cruisers? 

I do hear what you're saying about CV in Randoms, but it might pay to have at least one of those at Tier 8 for existing or future permanent campaigns (especially since those have become more Co-op inclusive of late). CVs sometimes have interesting and easy-ish missions that can be repeated ad nauseam for farming stars, and it may be worth screwing up your courage to try. Implacable is probably the better bet, as one of the collections drops a free permacamo for her (which you can start with an Armory crate), and unlike the Parseval, she can set both fires and floods.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,180 posts
3 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Soviet Heavy Cruisers: Balanz! I know they end with the very competitive Petro. Less sure how fun they are in Randoms.

You must not play your tier ten ships often? 

I would finish the line you have sitting at Donskoi. Then I would take the branch to the newer RU cruisers. I must suffer a tad from completionism, but when you are at tier 9 with tier 10 so close, why not finish it? 

It is also worth your while to continue carriers. I would recommend you get into the IJN line of carriers. In fact it would be worth your time to open all the carrier lines up and play them up to and including tier 6. Primary reason is the old saw, "Know thy enemy", if you need to justify it. Another solid reason is they can be fun. They also teach you what not to do as a surface ship when battling carriers. If you pay attention, you'll see a whole lot of bad or less than smart moves by those surface ships. This will improve your surface ship play a good deal, actually. 

One thing I often read here is "don't spend free xp on upgrade modules". I understand the logic but I'm not so sure I agree. There are times when a ship just completely stinks for me; even though others may enjoy her, I find I can't stand her. Bye free xp, hello next ship.

I am not fond of grinding in a ship I simply do not like. YMMV

• Cool 1

[SCRUM]
Members
90 posts
6,594 battles
21 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

It is also worth your while to continue carriers. I would recommend you get into the IJN line of carriers. In fact it would be worth your time to open all the carrier lines up and play them up to and including tier 6. Primary reason is the old saw, "Know thy enemy", if you need to justify it. Another solid reason is they can be fun. They also teach you what not to do as a surface ship when battling carriers. If you pay attention, you'll see a whole lot of bad or less than smart moves by those surface ships. This will improve your surface ship play a good deal, actually. 

One thing I often read here is "don't spend free xp on upgrade modules". I understand the logic but I'm not so sure I agree. There are times when a ship just completely stinks for me; even though others may enjoy her, I find I can't stand her. Bye free xp, hello next ship.

I am not fond of grinding in a ship I simply do not like. YMMV

I agree with this.  The IJN carriers are work horses that bring home the bacon.  If you grind your way to obtain upgrade modules you will be constantly re-tuning your memory muscle for the ship.  BTW I like the spreadsheet.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,184 posts
10,547 battles
5 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Friedrich der Große and Großer Kurfürst: Whilst I feel I should like them, being a Battleship main who likes brawling. I mostly got the impression they get to the  authentic Viking funeral experience I quite like having my dedicated Captain on my Bismarck (even if I don't play it much anymore) and I do have Sharn, Odin, Massa and Georgia for a brawling itch.

IMO, if you are looking for a brawling experience, Bismarck is the highlight of the line. FdG and GK are so massive and sluggish with such poor concealment that it is more difficult to make the playstyle work. The high tier meta doesn’t help either. I ground through FdG with a secondary build (was not as enjoyable as Bismarck) but switched over to a tank build after a few battles in GK and haven’t looked back. The two H-class ships can tank hits like a champ.

I don’t have any difficulty combatting Soviet CAs in randoms. They are much more effective in clan battles and other such competitive modes where team coordination can mitigate the strong weaknesses (weak sides, tactically inflexible) that accompany their strong strengths. It’s the opposite of say, Hindenburg, which is much more popular in Randoms due to her flexibility and versatility, but these qualities are less valued in competitive modes with high levels of coordination.

That being said, I’m finding Comrade Hipper to be an enjoyable experience.

British Heavy Cruisers Aside from super heals, but heard them bringing a great deal that's more interesting than other cruiser lines.

I would avoid this line - they are very bland and seem out of place in the game in 2020. If these ships were released early in development, i.e. as the fourth or fifth cruiser line, they would have fit in nicely, but in the current environment they give up a lot for access to a heal. Almost every combat role can be performed better by another cruiser at any tier, and the generally soft armor and short range (at least at mid tiers) makes playing them a frustrating experience.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
1,958 posts
12,587 battles
4 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

Sorry for the somewhat cliched subject but as a break from lootbox drama and CV hating.

I'm about to hit 5000 Random battles on my main account and just bought the Halland. I am a BB main (50% BB, 30% Cruiser, 20% destroyer) but at this stage I'm happy to try different playstyles...

I'd say get the 10s you are close on already, just to be able to get the snowflakes for them, even if you keep your 19pt capt on the Fletch kinda thing.

As to a "grind" I'd say if you enjoyed the EU line, I'd suggest the UK DD line. That's the one I've reset and played the most, with the fast & frequent smoke they're very able to avoid all but the most stubborn CV players, and are a lot of fun at cap contesting fights. 

7 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

IMO, if you are looking for a brawling experience, Bismarck is the highlight of the line. FdG and GK are so massive and sluggish with such poor concealment that it is more difficult to make the playstyle work. 

I do agree with this, though I found using the FDG as only a late match brawler worked pretty well - the GK is just too big and slow to do anything but play damage sponge most of the times IMO. With that all said, I LOVE my Pommern, though that's not a tech tree ship, she is the greatest German brawler IMO.

Edited by TheArc
  • Cool 1

Members
317 posts
25 battles

Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought and confirming my own bias.

To answer a few questions:

Game Modes: I primarily play Randoms (currently exactly 5000 Randoms/400 Ranked/1589 co-cop to be precise).

Mostly solo but I have got a friend playing who has just reached tier 7 and divisioning up has gone well despite his inexperience.

I do co-op quite regularly but very explicitly to quickly complete the first two daily missions and to plug holes in directives and event mission requirements. I'm a little sad about the state of operations, as I wasn't playing during their heyday.  I can't see myself deliberately getting a ship for co-op.

Credits... I'm actually pretty set for credits, having currently got over 154 million. However this has mostly happened over the last few months of mostly playing my Premiums, I tended to be more cash strapped before. It would indeed probably be wise to pick up the missing tier 10s f Likewise I've got 2.4M FreeXP which'll probably go to a Småland unless anything pops up in the meantime.

Playing much at tier 10? Not so much these days - when I first hit tier 10 with Montana I got perma camo and played it a lot, likewise played enough on my Yamato to get the Unique Upgrade.

I could attempt to say something profound about enjoying the journey more than the destination but I think it it's more having a mixed feeling at times about the tier 10 meta. Some of the more extreme ships can be somewhat frustrating to fight against if the ships that should be countering them on your team, just aren't. Whilst of course you face tier 10 when playing 8 and 9, the 0.8.7 matchmaker changes does cool the frequency of this quite well, and I sometimes find it an easier mindset when trying to pull my weight when lower tiered than top. Likewise as problematics as I can find CVs (like many players) I also think it's less extreme with tier 6 and 8 CVs than tier 10 and 4.