You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Chuck Yeager, 1st to break sound barrier, dead at 97

9 comments in this topic

[BB35]
Members
555 posts
4,556 battles
www.khou.com

Chuck Yeager, 1st to break sound barrier, dead at 97

Chuck Yeager was of the U.S. Air Force's most decorated test pilots and was portrayed in the movie 'The Right Stuff.'
www.khou.com www.khou.com

Retired Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager, one of the U.S. Air Force's most decorated test pilots who was portrayed in the movie "The Right Stuff" has died. He was 97.
A tweet was posted on Yeager's official Twitter account, saying he passed away Monday.

"It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET," the tweet said, attributing the quote to Yeager's wife, actress Victoria Scott D'Angelo. "An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever."

In 1947, Yeager was the first person to break the sound barrier

Edited by Markk9
  • Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,148 posts
26,781 battles

Sent my copy of his autobiography to him years ago, (with return postage of course!) when I read he didn’t mind people doing so to get an autograph.

[REVY]
Members
8,142 posts
6,118 battles
4 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

The Right Stuff is my favorite movie of all time. It is great!

Eh, that movie is so infantile, I cringe when I watch it.  In that movie they play locust sound effects whenever reporters are on screen, they have to apply a red filter on black and white footage whenever a communist is on screen and they have Wernher von Braun completely befuddled they'd want to send a human in space.  The reason Wernher von Braun studied rocketry was because he wanted to visit space.  The movie is just so wrong it hurts.

A movie like First Man or Apollo 13 didn't have to fabricate history to be interesting.  Chuck Yeager deserved a better movie.

[WOLF7]
Members
561 posts
3 hours ago, Sventex said:

Eh, that movie is so infantile, I cringe when I watch it.  In that movie they play locust sound effects whenever reporters are on screen, they have to apply a red filter on black and white footage whenever a communist is on screen and they have Wernher von Braun completely befuddled they'd want to send a human in space.  The reason Wernher von Braun studied rocketry was because he wanted to visit space.  The movie is just so wrong it hurts.

A movie like First Man or Apollo 13 didn't have to fabricate history to be interesting.  Chuck Yeager deserved a better movie.

It might be wrong/add a bit of fiction, but if you read the book by Tom Wolfe, the movie captured the spirit of the book VERY well. Also, the man himself, Chuck Yeager, has a small role in the movie. He can be seen in Pancho's. How many other movies partly or wholly about Chuck Yeager actually HAVE Chuck Yeager in them?

[REVY]
Members
8,142 posts
6,118 battles
7 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

It might be wrong/add a bit of fiction, but if you read the book by Tom Wolfe, the movie captured the spirit of the book VERY well. Also, the man himself, Chuck Yeager, has a small role in the movie. He can be seen in Pancho's. How many other movies partly or wholly about Chuck Yeager actually HAVE Chuck Yeager in them?

I mean, Jim Lovell was in Apollo 13.

And even if the movie captured the spirit of the book, it would just seem to me that the book was intended for 8 year olds.  I just wish the story wasn't so simplistic, they go on and on about the idea that pilots piloting a spacecraft was an alien concept, a bizarre demand by President Eisenhower.  In reality they always wanted pilots.  It's no coincidence that the Cosmonauts were pilots too.

Edited by Sventex